Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You might want to try doing a couple of long runs (maybe starting on a step-back week?) in the morning for the practice. The race series runs start at 10 am, so they're also good practice for your marathon morning routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    three miles up to Phoenix Park, run around one side, down the road, up the road, back the other side, and home again. Probably.
    The good thing about a Garmin is that I can wander around without a clear plan and know I'll do at least the distance.
    The bad thing is that I sometimes wander around, then realise that I have x miles left to do but I'm x + y miles from home. :rolleyes:

How accurate are they?, I've used Google Maps but double check in the car and there's generally a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

They're accurate to within about 1%, which is plenty. This thread on race measurement turned into a Garmin accuracy discussion...

You have between now and October to work out what works out well for you as a solid breakfast that you can stomach at 6-6.30am. :)

(my suggestion: porridge with banana and/or dried fruit, bagel, cup of rocket fuel-strength coffee)

Can't do coffee anymore as much as I love it:( I'll try the porridge and banana on Saturday morning (12 miles) and leave at 9am on the button, hopefully my confidence in the Isogels will be rewarded:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

mrslow wrote: »
    How accurate are they?, I've used Google Maps but double check in the car and there's generally a difference.

As mentioned, there is a small amount of inaccuracy with GPS devices - lots of things effect it from tall buildings to the weather - but in general they're very accurate.

Try http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ for measuring courses, good level of accuracy and compares well with my GPS watch - save a bit of petrol too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I've just realised it starts at 9am????? I do all my running in the evening after a days hydration and food! Panic Stations:mad: Any suggestions?

I have ran all my long runs in the evening, never foud it a problem. If whatever you have for lunch on the day of your long run is not upseting your gut then have that for breakfast on the day of the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

well headed back into it on Tues night after a weekend of booze in London..... training so far has been great and tues run was very hilly but really enjoyed it and had good pace.... did 7.5miles. then did 6miles last nite and noticed my right hamstring acting up! :eek:

in a good but of pain with it today so have booked in physio for sat morn.... was hoping to up it to 15miles this weekend but am ahead of scheduel so can afford to miss it.
    Last time i had this troube it took 3 weeks to fix.:mad:

just hoping ive nipped it early - have clonmel half sunday week! :confused:

30 miles done this week so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

30 miles done this week so far.

What training plan are you following?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Don't forget to pick up your next race number over the weekend.
    10 miles is gonna be awesome...

... if not incredibly painful :D.

• Advertisement

ger664 wrote: »
    I have ran all my long runs in the evening, never foud it a problem. If whatever you have for lunch on the day of your long run is not upseting your gut then have that for breakfast on the day of the marathon.

I have Berrocca followed by Weetabix,Actimel, O.J. then a banana and for lunch I usually have pasta with pancetta and Lucozade Sport:) Cramming all that in before 9am is gonna be tough;)

Spoke to a lovely girl in my local chemist yesterday who ran DCM in 2007, she regaled me with tales of ambulances and dislocated joints post mile 18:confused:
    Say it ain't so Rainbow

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Don't forget to pick up your next race number over the weekend.
    10 miles is gonna be awesome...

... if not incredibly painful :D.

Am I right in saying that those of us living outside Dublin will have their numbers posted to them?

Just heading out on my 12 mile lsr, wish me luck.

Am I right in saying that those of us living outside Dublin will have their numbers posted to them?

Just heading out on my 12 mile lsr, wish me luck.

You don't need luck Brophy 12 miles is nothing to you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Spoke to a lovely girl in my local chemist yesterday who ran DCM in 2007, she regaled me with tales of ambulances and dislocated joints post mile 18:confused:
    Say it ain't so Rainbow

Mile 1-6: Lots of men urinating at the side of the road

Mile 20-26: People needing to stretch at the side of the road

I didn't see any ambulances needed last year for people finishing around the same time as me (4:25ish), and didn't see any dislocated joints either.

Mile 1-6: Lots of men urinating at the side of the road

Mile 20-26: People needing to stretch at the side of the road

I didn't see any ambulances needed last year, and didn't see any dislocated joints either.

Stretch? Or be stretchered?

Stretch ;)

Stretch ;)

'Stretch' Is that code for 'pretend to be doing something constructive once the wheels have fallen off while buying some time to make the I'm going to die feeling go away?':D

'Stretch' Is that code for 'pretend to be doing something constructive once the wheels have fallen off while buying some time to make the I'm going to die feeling go away?':D

If you train properly and pace properly on the day you'll never need to know the answer to that question ;)

If you train properly and pace properly on the day you'll never need to know the answer to that question ;)

Yes Master and one day I will walk on rice paper without leaving a trace (retro quote):D Showing my age!

What training plan are you following?

I am working off Hal Higdon. But I feel if I have the energy, I dip into the intermediate Hal Higdon program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

12 mile lsr done. I think I went too fast - done in 1:57:25, 9:47 min/mile.

Was really feeling it the last two miles and could have done with some rain. The second I get in the door the rain falls, typical.

I'll really slow it down next week for the 13 miler to be in good shape for the 10 mile race in Phoenix Park.

12 mile LSR Complete! (2 hrs and 5 mins) Hurt my knee running on a crappy path abouth 3 miles in and thought the other 9 miles would fix it, not so much - am limping around like an oul fella :mad: Don't think it's anything serious and it only really hurts when I breathe;) I'm sick of running up and down kerbs and dodging motorists - going to the park next week for 13 miler and gonna do it all there! Also met a fellow runner in the park (I ran 3 of my miles there)and for the half mile we shared a route chatting I wasn't aware of any pain or discomfort so for the long ones I think a running partner will help.

Make sure you look after that knee now. Maybe ice it this evening?

Make sure you look after that knee now. Maybe ice it this evening?

Thanks Rainbow, I have an open knee support on it with plenty of Voltarol:) Few beers now and I'll be dancing:D

For the girls in this thread: Debenhams has quite a few Shock Absorber level 4 bras for half-price in the sale (€18.75 down from €37.50). Just sayin' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

For the girls in this thread: Debenhams has quite a few Shock Absorber level 4 bras for half-price in the sale (€18.75 down from €37.50). Just sayin' :)

For the lads....Superquinn are doing 8 cans of Guinness for €12....Might not be the support RK is giving you but it's up front advice all the same ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good stuff. Major "Owwww" moment in the shower this evening :o

:(Thighs are still in bits. Done 10 miles 4 days this week but could not get my time under an hour and 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

:(Thighs are still in bits. Done 10 miles 4 days this week but could not get my time under an hour and 20 minutes

I have never broke 1:20 for ten miles and I have 2 sub 4hour marathons done. Give yourself a break and run some very easy recovery runs. Training like this is going to lead to overstraining and injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Im an idiot, an idiot, an idiot. Came home from RDS Horseshow Saturday afternoon. Hungover formt he night before.

Anyway got some food into me and felt better. Decided i wanted to do my LSR Saturday so off i went.

Totally miscalculated the distance, felt good and stopped at 12 miles, which i thought. Anyway, turns out i only ran 10.1 miles:eek:. Am soo gutted:o. Done it in 1 hour 26 mins.

Stick kicking myself today:mad::mad::mad:

Just back from recovery cycle, i hear you say, "recovery from what". And your dead right...

So now i've a bigger hill to climb this week...

Advertisement