Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||
    Mrslow|4|24.5|48.25|12 Mile LSR done I really hurt my knee but after wearing a support all night smothered in Voltarol, It feels much better - Roll on 13 for next week|

Hope I didn't miss anyone?

JEmily wrote: »
    Im an idiot, an idiot, an idiot. Came home from RDS Horseshow Saturday afternoon. Hungover formt he night before.

Anyway got some food into me and felt better. Decided i wanted to do my LSR Saturday so off i went.

Totally miscalculated the distance, felt good and stopped at 12 miles, which i thought. Anyway, turns out i only ran 10.1 miles:eek:. Am soo gutted:o. Done it in 1 hour 26 mins.

Stick kicking myself today:mad::mad::mad:

Just back from recovery cycle, i hear you say, "recovery from what". And your dead right...

So now i've a bigger hill to climb this week...

That's rough JEmily, feeling your pain. I'm meeting Raycun and possibly The Wexican on Saturday morning in the Phoenix park for 13 miles if that falls in with your training plan? Might help distract you from the extra 3 miles:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »
    That's rough JEmily, feeling your pain. I'm meeting Raycun and possibly The Wexican on Saturday morning in the Phoenix park for 13 miles if that falls in with your training plan? Might help distract you from the extra 3 miles:D

Might actually be interested in that myself, let me get back to you closer to the time though.

Might actually be interested in that myself, let me get back to you closer to the time though.

The more the merrier Rainbow!:) Circa 9?

Would be an early start, but it would mean I could get my LSR squared away early and get back to thesis work...

• Advertisement

Would be an early start, but it would mean I could get my LSR squared away early and get back to thesis work...

Would a 9.30 to 10mile pace put you off?

That's perfect actually, most of my recent LSRs have been in the 9.25-9.45/mile range anyway. I'm not a fast runner by any stretch of the imagination. :pac:

That's perfect actually, most of my recent LSRs have been in the 9.25-9.45/mile range anyway. I'm not a fast runner by any stretch of the imagination. :pac:

Smashin! I hope you can make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    beamgirl|4|24|114|yeah 12 miles done 1:59:30!|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||
    Mrslow|4|24.5|48.25|12 Mile LSR done I really hurt my knee but after wearing a support all night smothered in Voltarol, It feels much better - Roll on 13 for next week|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|4|28|178|Decided to do 14 mile lsr on Friday after golf with no brekkie and no lunch....stupid is as stupid does...Only managed 12.3 and only really recovered today|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|||||
    littlebug|5|23|165|this was fall back week to incorporate 8k race:)|
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|4|28|178|Decided to do 14 mile lsr on Friday after golf with no brekkie and no lunch....stupid is as stupid does...Only managed 12.3 and only really recovered today|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|33.4|201.9|18 mile LSR was tough, glad this is a stepback week|
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|4|25|149|Just back from a 12 mile LSR in 1hr51. I think I went a bit too hard as I struggled for the last 2 miles. I was at a wedding yesterday so thats my real excuse|
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

I'd be interested in joining ye guys in the Phoenix Park next weekend for the 13 miler if thats ok.

Thanks for getting started with the table :)

The plan for this week:
    Week 8
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|6 m w/2 @ PMP|3 m|rest|13 m|cross

Another stretch this week - and another landmark! 13 miles - half marathon distance if you finish with a little loop around your garden. The midweek workout I want you to do this week is to do the middle two miles of the 6-miler at PMP, so that's 2 easy, 2 PMP, 2 easy. Nothing too difficult, but again just to get the legs used to moving at PMP.

Week 9
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|7 m|4 m|rest|10 m|cross

Stepback week again - which some may be glad of! Down to 10 miles for your LSR this week. Midweek runs will take you a little further this week, up to 7 miles for the midweek sorta-long run, and one of the shorter runs stretches out to 4 miles. Not adding anything to the midweek runs this week, run easy and run comfortable. :)

milosh wrote: »
    William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy|||||
    brophya2007|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    Milosh|4|25|149|Just back from a 12 mile LSR in 1hr51. I think I went a bit too hard as I struggled for the last 2 miles. I was at a wedding yesterday so thats my real excuse|
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

I'd be interested in joining ye guys in the Phoenix Park next weekend for the 13 miler if thats ok.

That's great, I'll P.m. those interested later in the week with my mobile and we can arrange specifics

mrslow wrote: »
    That's great, I'll P.m. those interested later in the week with my mobile and we can arrange specifics

I'm on a short week next week anyway - I think by the time I get to that gate I'll have to turn around and start going home, but if this works out well I might get a proper run in with yis some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy23|0|0|117|I had too many nagging injuries so decided to take a total week off. Had a bad back, high ankle sprain and some ITBS. First time since February with no runs. Felt weird but body is in better shape now. |
    brophya2007|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    boccy23|0|0|117|I had too many nagging injuries so decided to take a total week off. Had a bad back, high ankle sprain and some ITBS. First time since February with no runs. Felt weird but body is in better shape now. |
    brophya2007|4|24.3|148.8|12 mile lsr was tough, 13 miles this week should be fun. All going well so far, I've lost a stone since the start :eek:|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    brophya2007|4|24.3|148.8|12 mile lsr was tough, 13 miles this week should be fun. All going well so far, I've lost a stone since the start :eek:|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |5|38.6|159.6|Was feeling really good this week so pushed the boat out and ran 17.2 miles for my LSR, the last couple of miles were really tough. Delighted with it though.|
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

Need Advice please! I'm following the Hals Intermediate programme but when I feel good I'm upping the mileage so I'm kinda all over the place. As I did 14 miles last week and 17 miles this week for LSR what do ye guys think I should do this week- fall back week??

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |5|38.6|159.6|Was feeling really good this week so pushed the boat out and ran 17.2 miles for my LSR, the last couple of miles were really tough. Delighted with it though.|
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|4|23.5|130.5|Slight step-back week for me - Was in physio for hamstring problems - think its way too early for injuries like that but lesson learnt!|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

Had last weekend off so was happy to do a hilly run on Tuesday....got back and felt great - had really good pace on the flatter sections. Thought that the break had done me well.
    When I went out on Wednesday my right hamstring locked up on mile 4 so it was a major struggle to finish. I've had trouble with this before and booked in physio for Sat morning, stretched it a good bit on Thurs & Friday.

My own phyiso was on hols so went to a new guy that my mate uses - he was really good, gave me loads of advice on running, plans and on gels. Told me to continue running as it was not as bad as before!
    My main problem is my stretching so I will be doing warm up runs and cool down runs.....my pelvis is out of place too. Just worried that its a bit too early in my training plan to be picking up injuries!
    Just need to stretch more - setting my alarm 10mins earlier in the mornings to do this as I don't want to have to sit out any training.

So did a 4 mile Sat and a 6 mile on Sunday.
    Sundays run was meant to be a 9 mile but cut it short due to a couple of rookie mistakes! (toilet break!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Need Advice please! I'm following the Hals Intermediate programme but when I feel good I'm upping the mileage so I'm kinda all over the place. As I did 14 miles last week and 17 miles this week for LSR what do ye guys think I should do this week- fall back week??

Well done on the training - you are doing great!

Ya I would step back a week if I were you.... would be nice to have a break from it too - will help the body and more importantly prevent injury!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Unfortunately I had so much stuff to do over the weekend I had to push my LSR back a day and will be facing a 16mile run this evening, after traveling home from work etc.
    Pray for me :(

I nearly went out for the run last night at 10pm but had been up painting since 8am. Stubbornness suprred me out the door but the thoughts of potential injuries made me see sense.

I'll update my place on the chart tomorrow.

In other news thanks for bolding your names on the table, much easier to see now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno1|2|13|114|pinched nerve in back put paid to midweek run. Broke back in gentle with 10 miles LSR at weekend|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||||
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

An old recurring back injury flared up on Monday, a lovely dose of sciatica:eek:! Luckily I heal very quickly from this particular problem once treated. But had to drop mid week 6 and 3 miles.

However, this means to me that I need to do core strength training. Anyone else doing core strength training?

So, 14mls LSR attempt no. 2 this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

ilovetorun wrote: »

I'm on the Intermediate also.
    At times I do feel that I can do more than is penciled in on the programme however these programmes are designed to ensure out training doesn't peak before the Marathon. Doing too much now, in the earlier stages, could hinder your progress at a later stage.

My advice would be to pick one programme and stick exclusively to it.

Like I said I used to find some weeks very light but now that the @PMP runs are more frequent I can see the benefit the structured training has had.

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm on a short week next week anyway - I think by the time I get to that gate I'll have to turn around and start going home, but if this works out well I might get a proper run in with yis some time.

Smashin!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Hey folks, looking for some advice if anyone feels like helping.

Basically this: Am I crazy to start training for this years marathon now? I had thought it was in September so knew I couldn't make that but now that I have an extra month I'm wondering if its do-able...I've never ran any sort of distance in a race before in my life. I do cardio about 3/4 times a week in the gym, usually involes a 4.3 mile run (30 min) followed by around 5 miles on the bike and I also do some upper body work.

I'm a natural runner and generally very fit but my asthma has been troublesome the last few years so not sure how hard I can push myself. When I started looking into training programes (mainly the Hal Higdon one) I keep seeing that they're all 18, 20, 26 weeks long...a long way off the 10 weeks or so that I actually have!

Any comments would be deadly, thanks!

Hey folks, looking for some advice if anyone feels like helping.

Basically this: Am I crazy to start training for this years marathon now? I had thought it was in September so knew I couldn't make that but now that I have an extra month I'm wondering if its do-able...I've never ran any sort of distance in a race before in my life. I do cardio about 3/4 times a week in the gym, usually involes a 4.3 mile run (30 min) followed by around 5 miles on the bike and I also do some upper body work.

I'm a natural runner and generally very fit but my asthma has been troublesome the last few years so not sure how hard I can push myself. When I started looking into training programes (mainly the Hal Higdon one) I keep seeing that they're all 18, 20, 26 weeks long...a long way off the 10 weeks or so that I actually have!

Any comments would be deadly, thanks!

I'm the least experienced runner here and had only just achieved 10 miles when I jumped into the Novice one programme at week 5, All I can advise is 'suck it and see' - get into a programme (this is week 8) and if you're not able for 13 miles this weekend you're not going to be able to grow that.

Are you running outside or on a treadmill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno1|2|13|114|pinched nerve in back put paid to midweek run. Broke back in gentle with 10 miles LSR at weekend|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|2|26|89|Knew I could only do two sessions this week so did my lsr of 15 miles and shorter 11 mile as well.|
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||

26 miles covered in 2 runs - 15 and 11. 15 miler was lsr, for the 11 miler I mixed in 2km lsr pace 2 kn PMP pace. Enjoyed it.

Invested in a foam roller and I have promised myself to use it religiously.

Downloaded some podcasts as well and they make the time pass on the lsr a bit quicker

An extra four weeks is not all that long, especially since the last couple of weeks are spent tapering - winding down your runs before the marathon, instead of building them up.
    You probably could complete the marathon if you started now, but you run a higher risk of injuring yourself during training or blowing up on the day. (And you'd have to drop all of your other exercise, and focus solely on running.) You're better off picking a spring marathon, and training properly for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

RayCun wrote: »
    An extra four weeks is not all that long, especially since the last couple of weeks are spent tapering - winding down your runs before the marathon, instead of building them up.
    You probably could complete the marathon if you started now, but you run a higher risk of injuring yourself during training or blowing up on the day. (And you'd have to drop all of your other exercise, and focus solely on running.) You're better off picking a spring marathon, and training properly for that.

I'd agree 100% with this.

I'd 4 Olympic distance triathlons in my legs already this year when I jumped into week 5 of a plan 4 weeks ago and to be honest its been a struggle to build up where I am now .... which is just about comfortable. Its a whole different ball game once you start running 1.5 hours plus

I know I couldn't join one now and do myself any kind of justice in Dublin. Choose one early next year and start training for it now. You'll enjoy it a whole lot more

Advertisement