Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

RayCun wrote: »
    An extra four weeks is not all that long, especially since the last couple of weeks are spent tapering - winding down your runs before the marathon, instead of building them up.
    You probably could complete the marathon if you started now, but you run a higher risk of injuring yourself during training or blowing up on the day. (And you'd have to drop all of your other exercise, and focus solely on running.) You're better off picking a spring marathon, and training properly for that.

True, it would be very easy to get injured if I have to ramp up so quick. Doing a training programme during late winter/early "spring" would be pretty miserable though, would have to be mostly gym work.
    mrslow wrote: »
    I'm the least experienced runner here and had only just achieved 10 miles when I jumped into the Novice one programme at week 5, All I can advise is 'suck it and see' - get into a programme (this is week 8) and if you're not able for 13 miles this weekend you're not going to be able to grow that.

Are you running outside or on a treadmill?

The chances of me running 13 this weekend are fairly slim! I'm doing everything on a treadmill at the moment but if I started training seriously I'd do my long run on tarmac/grass at the very least, probably one other run too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno1|2|13|114|pinched nerve in back put paid to midweek run. Broke back in gentle with 10 miles LSR at weekend|
    boccy23|0|0|117|I had too many nagging injuries so decided to take a total week off. Had a bad back, high ankle sprain and some ITBS. First time since February with no runs. Felt weird but body is in better shape now. |
    brophya2007|4|24.3|148.8|12 mile lsr was tough, 13 miles this week should be fun. All going well so far, I've lost a stone since the start :eek:|
    beamgirl|4|24|114|yeah 12 miles done 1:59:30!|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|33.4|201.9|18 mile LSR was tough, glad this is a stepback week|
    littlebug|5|23|165|this was fall back week to incorporate 8k race:)|
    meathcountysec|5|34.38|276.08|12.28 mile LSR, hitting all the targets|
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|4|28|178|Decided to do 14 mile lsr on Friday after golf with no brekkie and no lunch....stupid is as stupid does...Only managed 12.3 and only really recovered today|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |5|38.6|159.6|Was feeling really good this week so pushed the boat out and ran 17.2 miles for my LSR, the last couple of miles were really tough. Delighted with it though.|
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|2|26|89|Knew I could only do two sessions this week so did my lsr of 15 miles and shorter 11 mile as well.|
    Milosh|4|25|149|Just back from a 12 mile LSR in 1hr51. I think I went a bit too hard as I struggled for the last 2 miles. I was at a wedding yesterday so thats my real excuse|
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||||
    Mrslow|4|24.5|48.25|12 Mile LSR done I really hurt my knee but after wearing a support all night smothered in Voltarol, It feels much better - Roll on 13 for next week|

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

That's rough JEmily, feeling your pain. I'm meeting Raycun and possibly The Wexican on Saturday morning in the Phoenix park for 13 miles if that falls in with your training plan? Might help distract you from the extra 3 miles:D

Thanks for the confidence vote:)

That sounds brill although i'm doing the Blessie Nessie (mini mini) Triathlon in Blessignton on Saturday afternoon (my first ever triathlon). So am using this as one of my small runs as such!
    Will you let me know about the following weeks?

Your very much the same as me i think, total novice? Well done on your completed LSR last week, i'm soooo jealous. Try rest that injury if you can, plenty of TLC and chocolate;)

P.S. I'm heading for my 13/14 miles tomorrow night, i know, early in the week, but have a mental weekend and i'm still so gutted i missed my target of 12 miles last weekend, i'm seriously making up for it i hope. Wish me luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

True, it would be very easy to get injured if I have to ramp up so quick. Doing a training programme during late winter/early "spring" would be pretty miserable though, would have to be mostly gym work.

The chances of me running 13 this weekend are fairly slim! I'm doing everything on a treadmill at the moment but if I started training seriously I'd do my long run on tarmac/grass at the very least, probably one other run too

I would want to be encouraging because I have jumped into training too early based on my running base but if you go from the treadmill to the road you'll damage yourself as the treadmill takes a lot of the impact but on the road it's your knees and ankles that do!

Wait until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hey folks, looking for some advice if anyone feels like helping.

Basically this: Am I crazy to start training for this years marathon now? I had thought it was in September so knew I couldn't make that but now that I have an extra month I'm wondering if its do-able...I've never ran any sort of distance in a race before in my life. I do cardio about 3/4 times a week in the gym, usually involes a 4.3 mile run (30 min) followed by around 5 miles on the bike and I also do some upper body work.

I'm a natural runner and generally very fit but my asthma has been troublesome the last few years so not sure how hard I can push myself. When I started looking into training programes (mainly the Hal Higdon one) I keep seeing that they're all 18, 20, 26 weeks long...a long way off the 10 weeks or so that I actually have!

Any comments would be deadly, thanks!

I'm going to have to agree with all the other comments - starting to train now for the marathon would not be in your best interests. Would you consider training for a half-marathon late in the year? There is a good one in Waterford in December. This would be a much more realistic target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Basically this: Am I crazy to start training for this years marathon now? I had thought it was in September so knew I couldn't make that but now that I have an extra month I'm wondering if its do-able...I've never ran any sort of distance in a race before in my life.

Any comments would be deadly, thanks!

I was in a similar position to yourself last year.
    I have always been a fairly fit runner and thought I could jump into a programme.
    So I did.

Three weeks in I had lost a toenail or two due to sudden increased pressure on my feet and was very tired after nearly every run.
    I backed down for fear of a potential serious injury and I'm glad I did.

This year I followed the programme from the beginning and can really feel the benefits of structured training. It's tough training and I'm not sure how many marathons I will put myself through after this (until later in life) but if you jump in now and find the training horrible you may only ever do 1 marathon, which you mightn't enjoy.

This probably isn't what you want to hear. Sorry Dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You'd have to do a fair amount of running on tarmac to get used to it. (btw, if you're running on the treadmill you should set an incline of 2 or 3 degrees to better simulate road running)

I put some numbers into a schedule, just to see what it looked like. To get your taper in, a 20 mile LSR, stepback weeks, and to avoid increasing your LSR distance too much each week, you'd have to do something like this -

week 8: LSR 11 miles 9: 13 10: 15 11: 12 12: 16 13: 18
    14: 14 15: 20 16: 12 17: 8 18: marathon

That means doing an 11 mile run this coming weekend, 13 the following week, and 15 the week after. I don't know how fast you run, but that's 2 to 2.5 hours on your feet for those runs. That's a big step up from 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    rofno1|2|13|114|pinched nerve in back put paid to midweek run. Broke back in gentle with 10 miles LSR at weekend|
    boccy23|0|0|117|I had too many nagging injuries so decided to take a total week off. Had a bad back, high ankle sprain and some ITBS. First time since February with no runs. Felt weird but body is in better shape now. |
    brophya2007|4|24.3|148.8|12 mile lsr was tough, 13 miles this week should be fun. All going well so far, I've lost a stone since the start :eek:|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|4|28|178|Decided to do 14 mile lsr on Friday after golf with no brekkie and no lunch....stupid is as stupid does...Only managed 12.3 and only really recovered today|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |5|38.6|159.6|Was feeling really good this week so pushed the boat out and ran 17.2 miles for my LSR, the last couple of miles were really tough. Delighted with it though.|
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|2|26|89|Knew I could only do two sessions this week so did my lsr of 15 miles and shorter 11 mile as well.|
    Milosh|4|25|149|Just back from a 12 mile LSR in 1hr51. I think I went a bit too hard as I struggled for the last 2 miles. I was at a wedding yesterday so thats my real excuse|
    RubyK|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|22|50|Don't let me rant anymore, just lets say i've to do my LSR 13/14 miler tomorrow evening and wish me luck!|
    Mrslow|4|24.5|48.25|12 Mile LSR done I really hurt my knee but after wearing a support all night smothered in Voltarol, It feels much better - Roll on 13 for next week|

JEmily wrote: »
    Thanks for the confidence vote:)

That sounds brill although i'm doing the Blessie Nessie (mini mini) Triathlon in Blessignton on Saturday afternoon (my first ever triathlon). So am using this as one of my small runs as such!
    Will you let me know about the following weeks?

Your very much the same as me i think, total novice? Well done on your completed LSR last week, i'm soooo jealous. Try rest that injury if you can, plenty of TLC and chocolate;)

P.S. I'm heading for my 13/14 miles tomorrow night, i know, early in the week, but have a mental weekend and i'm still so gutted i missed my target of 12 miles last weekend, i'm seriously making up for it i hope. Wish me luck...

Yep I'm a complete novice, I only started running in mid April! No time for rest in my house (kids). My knee is much better - thanks, I resisted a recovery run last night and am back in action tomorrow! My plan is to hit the park from 9 - 9.30 every Saturday with the exception of the 25th September as I'm running The Lakes 10k for charity.

It's an open invitation and I think I'll really benefit from running in a group as it gives that 'race feel' and you have on the spot support and also help limping back to your car if required;)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

mrslow, RayCun, mitresize5, rainbow kirby, James Howlett - thanks for the comments...I know its always harder to be honest when it's not the news the person wants to hear.

Think I'd be stupid to ignore ye...a marathon is one of the things I really want to do in my lifetime but no point doing it and being disappointed or not being able to complete it. For now I'll just ramp up my general training and find a few events later in the year I can aim for...

Best of luck with your training and the marathon itself, I'll see ye in this thread for next year hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

William72|||||
    The Wexican|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    RubyK|3|27.50|143.05|On hols for a few days, so no running for four days. LSR on Sunday 16.25 miles. On my feet for 2hrs28mins11sec. Getting very anxious though about getting more miles covered on my LSR :o|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|22|50|Don't let me rant anymore, just lets say i've to do my LSR 13/14 miler tomorrow evening and wish me luck!|

mrslow, RayCun, mitresize5, rainbow kirby, James Howlett - thanks for the comments...I know its always harder to be honest when it's not the news the person wants to hear.

Think I'd be stupid to ignore ye...a marathon is one of the things I really want to do in my lifetime but no point doing it and being disappointed or not being able to complete it. For now I'll just ramp up my general training and find a few events later in the year I can aim for...

Best of luck with your training and the marathon itself, I'll see ye in this thread for next year hopefully!

See you at the start line 2011!

I'm sure you're all well aware but I stumbled across the 'looping of laces' and had no ankle pain on Sunday as I found my form from the first footfall!:D I'll elaborate if you don't know what I'm on about!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

William72|4|28.3|93.2|4 sessions completed for the first time since week 1 so delighted with that.|
    The Wexican|||||
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    RubyK|3|27.50|143.05|On hols for a few days, so no running for four days. LSR on Sunday 16.25 miles. On my feet for 2hrs28mins11sec. Getting very anxious though about getting more miles covered on my LSR :o|
    The_Dazzler|||||

Knee is a little sore again so will have to go to physio and stop putting it off - other than that I'm a happy camper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

William72|4|28.3|93.2|4 sessions completed for the first time since week 1 so delighted with that.|
    The Wexican|5|0|101|Big fat zero this week, ankle only starting to feel a bit better today, after a trip to the physio on Thursday. Thank god it's only a strain, and I'll hopefully be back on the road by Wednesday|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

The Wexican|5|0|101|Big fat zero this week, ankle only starting to feel a bit better today, after a trip to the physio on Thursday. Thank god it's only a strain, and I'll hopefully be back on the road by Wednesday|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|3|14|161|Not a great week due to illness. Taking it easy this week, hope to be right for LSR|
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

Just wondering how people are travelling to the race, I'm coming from D15 and the train would bring me to Connolly with a bit of a walk to Fitzwilliam St.

What time are ye planning to be there?

I know it's really early to consider these things I'm just crossing it off my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

hi guys,

i know this thread's been goin a long while but i'd love to join in. am moving to brussels in three weeks and will be losing my runnin buds and would love the support!

started running for first time in april, starting a 10 week programme for the enniscorthy strawberry half in june. the last week of that programme was the same week as the first week of the hal higdon programme. then i didnt run for two weeks, did a few short runs in weeks 4 and 5 and following it to the letter now in weeks 6 and 7.

my short runs of 3, 4, 5 and 6 miles are always 10min/mile and long runs much slower than that (12mile last week was about 2.5 hours)

Welcome to the crew :) Don't worry about the long runs being slow, you're getting in good solid time on your feet and that's pretty much exactly the purpose of them.

Add yourself into the table if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Just wondering how people are travelling to the race, I'm coming from D15 and the train would bring me to Connolly with a bit of a walk to Fitzwilliam St.

I know it's really early to consider these things I'm just crossing it off my list!

I'll be travelling up the evening before, by train. Plan to be at the start line at 08.00 hrs. How far is Marrion Sq from Fitzwilliam St?

Welcome Marrona - happy training to you!

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    I'll be travelling up the evening before, by train. Plan to be at the start line at 08.00 hrs. How far is Marrion Sq from Fitzwilliam St?

Welcome Marrona - happy training to you!

3-4 mins directly but 26.2 miles the way we're going:D

Sorry couldn't resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

I've booked a hotel for the night before, I'm travelling from Waterford. Staying in the Gresham on O'Connell st so I must look it up to see how long it will take to walk/bus
    I'd want to be there for about 8am I'd say

ilovetorun wrote: »
    I've booked a hotel for the night before, I'm travelling from Waterford. Staying in the Gresham on O'Connell st so I must look it up to see how long it will take to walk/bus
    I'd want to be there for about 8am I'd say

A brisk walk from O'Connell st will probably take about 15mins I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

I'm planning on going up on Sunday, staying that night and the Monday night.

I believe we have to collect our numbers the Saturday or Sunday??

I'm most likely getting a taxi in from either home (Firhouse) or my friend's apartment (Smithfield). I'd rather not take any chances.

Was there at ~7.45am last year after getting a lift in.

I'm most likely getting a taxi in from either home (Firhouse) or my friend's apartment (Smithfield). I'd rather not take any chances.

Was there at ~7.45am last year after getting a lift in.

I assumed the course was a ring of steel for the day - no cars in or out?
    I'm planning on going up on Sunday, staying that night and the Monday night.

I believe we have to collect our numbers the Saturday or Sunday??

Collection is at the RDS but that's easy to get to by dart or bus, you could even jog there from the city centre to loosen up the legs

Closest you'll get on the southside will be near the canals, as far as I can remember. It's not too far from there, and that's probably where I'll get a taxi to.

Closest you'll get on the southside will be near the canals, as far as I can remember. It's not too far from there, and that's probably where I'll get a taxi to.

I might do that too - knowing my luck I'll trip on the walk up from Connolly and break both knees.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

A brisk walk from O'Connell st will probably take about 15mins I'd say

It's the walk back that will be the problem:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I suppose I should think of booking somewhere to stay the night before.... even though I'm not signed up yet :rolleyes: Any suggestions?

Advertisement