Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

It's the walk back that will be the problem:eek:

Dreading it already ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

It's the walk back that will be the problem:eek:

I hadn't even considered it......until now:( Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Drink to numb the pain!

littlebug wrote: »
    I suppose I should think of booking somewhere to stay the night before.... even though I'm not signed up yet :rolleyes: Any suggestions?

I'd be wary of staying in the middle of town as there may be a lot of noise from the street given it's a bank holiday Sunday, maybe pick somewhere on the Luas green line which will bring you right into Stephens Green for the race, they run every 15 mins from 7am.

RayCun wrote: »
    Drink to numb the pain!

Now you're talkin:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|4|28.3|93.2|4 sessions completed for the first time since week 1 so delighted with that.|
    The Wexican|5|0|101|Big fat zero this week, ankle only starting to feel a bit better today, after a trip to the physio on Thursday. Thank god it's only a strain, and I'll hopefully be back on the road by Wednesday|
    rofno1|2|13|114|pinched nerve in back put paid to midweek run. Broke back in gentle with 10 miles LSR at weekend|
    boccy23|0|0|117|I had too many nagging injuries so decided to take a total week off. Had a bad back, high ankle sprain and some ITBS. First time since February with no runs. Felt weird but body is in better shape now. |
    brophya2007|4|24.3|148.8|12 mile lsr was tough, 13 miles this week should be fun. All going well so far, I've lost a stone since the start :eek:|
    beamgirl|4|24|114|yeah 12 miles done 1:59:30!|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|33.4|201.9|18 mile LSR was tough, glad this is a stepback week|
    littlebug|5|23|165|this was fall back week to incorporate 8k race:)|
    meathcountysec|5|34.38|276.08|12.28 mile LSR, hitting all the targets|
    DigiJem|3|14|161|Not a great week due to illness. Taking it easy this week, hope to be right for LSR|
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|4|28|178|Decided to do 14 mile lsr on Friday after golf with no brekkie and no lunch....stupid is as stupid does...Only managed 12.3 and only really recovered today|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |5|38.6|159.6|Was feeling really good this week so pushed the boat out and ran 17.2 miles for my LSR, the last couple of miles were really tough. Delighted with it though.|
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|4|23.5|130.5|Slight step-back week for me - Was in physio for hamstring problems - think its way too early for injuries like that but lesson learnt!|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|2|26|89|Knew I could only do two sessions this week so did my lsr of 15 miles and shorter 11 mile as well.|
    Milosh|4|25|149|Just back from a 12 mile LSR in 1hr51. I think I went a bit too hard as I struggled for the last 2 miles. I was at a wedding yesterday so thats my real excuse|
    RubyK|3|27.50|143.05|On hols for a few days, so no running for four days. LSR on Sunday 16.25 miles. On my feet for 2hrs28mins11sec. Getting very anxious though about getting more miles covered on my LSR :o|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|22|50|Don't let me rant anymore, just lets say i've to do my LSR 13/14 miler tomorrow evening and wish me luck!|
    Mrslow|4|24.5|48.25|12 Mile LSR done I really hurt my knee but after wearing a support all night smothered in Voltarol, It feels much better - Roll on 13 for next week|

Just correcting table - i got bumped out somewhere along the line! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

William72|4|28.3|93.2|4 sessions completed for the first time since week 1 so delighted with that.|
    The Wexican|5|0|101|Big fat zero this week, ankle only starting to feel a bit better today, after a trip to the physio on Thursday. Thank god it's only a strain, and I'll hopefully be back on the road by Wednesday|
    rofno1|2|13|114|pinched nerve in back put paid to midweek run. Broke back in gentle with 10 miles LSR at weekend|
    boccy23|0|0|117|I had too many nagging injuries so decided to take a total week off. Had a bad back, high ankle sprain and some ITBS. First time since February with no runs. Felt weird but body is in better shape now. |
    brophya2007|4|24.3|148.8|12 mile lsr was tough, 13 miles this week should be fun. All going well so far, I've lost a stone since the start :eek:|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|3|14|161|Not a great week due to illness. Taking it easy this week, hope to be right for LSR|
    D Chief|||||
    digger2d2|4|28|178|Decided to do 14 mile lsr on Friday after golf with no brekkie and no lunch....stupid is as stupid does...Only managed 12.3 and only really recovered today|
    Shazkea|||||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |5|38.6|159.6|Was feeling really good this week so pushed the boat out and ran 17.2 miles for my LSR, the last couple of miles were really tough. Delighted with it though.|
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    corked|4|23.5|130.5|Slight step-back week for me - Was in physio for hamstring problems - think its way too early for injuries like that but lesson learnt!|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|2|26|89|Knew I could only do two sessions this week so did my lsr of 15 miles and shorter 11 mile as well.|
    Milosh|4|25|149|Just back from a 12 mile LSR in 1hr51. I think I went a bit too hard as I struggled for the last 2 miles. I was at a wedding yesterday so thats my real excuse|
    RubyK|3|27.50|143.05|On hols for a few days, so no running for four days. LSR on Sunday 16.25 miles. On my feet for 2hrs28mins11sec. Getting very anxious though about getting more miles covered on my LSR :o|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|22|50|Don't let me rant anymore, just lets say i've to do my LSR 13/14 miler tomorrow evening and wish me luck!|
    Mrslow|4|24.5|48.25|12 Mile LSR done I really hurt my knee but after wearing a support all night smothered in Voltarol, It feels much better - Roll on 13 for next week|
    marrona|4|24|199.32|4 sessions completed. and ENTERED and boked flights home!|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Fair play to you all. Havent looked at this in a good while. Great progress being made.

You should all feel very proud of yourselves. Keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Just wanted to drop in and put my hand up as one of the sub-4.30 pacers on the day.

Great to see all the effort being put in and looking forward to a great day out in October!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|4|0|-|A big fat 0 again in terms of running but 4 good cross-training sessions in - does cycling mileage count :). Will be back next week - PMA!|
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|||||
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

Trying to keep fitness up with cross-training so hopefully that helps when I get back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    D Chief|||||
    Shazkea|4|0|-|A big fat 0 again in terms of running but 4 good cross-training sessions in - does cycling mileage count :). Will be back next week - PMA!|
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|4|24.5|128.5|LSR of 12 miles took 2:06. 1:02 for first 6 and 1:04 for second. Happy with consistent(ish) pace.|
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Drink to numb the pain!

A steak dinner (if that's your thing), a few tins of 7up and some dancing is a great way to work out those aches and pains ;) (If you stay awake that long)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

My 16mile LSR had to be cut down to 12 tonight.
    I didn't get out til 9:30pm and it's just too late to be running. The later parts of my course had poor lighting and could at best be described as "dicey."

Anyone else find ever find that they have to cut runs short cause of time constraints like this?

(and yes I'm literally just home)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

My 16mile LSR had to be cut down to 12 tonight.
    I didn't get out til 9:30pm and it's just too late to be running. The later parts of my course had poor lighting and could at best be described as "dicey."

Anyone else find ever find that they have to cut runs short cause of time constraints like this?

(and yes I'm literally just home)

Sometimes real life just gets in the way. For me, that's usually too late to contemplate a short run not to mind a LSR. Fair play on getting out, it'll stand to you. Don't worry too much about the 4 miles, it's still a good run to get in this early in the week. (Or is it late from last week like my 16 miles was today?! - I had the day off so lots of time ;))

Late it was from yesterday. Taking tomorrow as my rest day instead.

Well at least I learned now and won't be making that mistake again.
    Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    D Chief|4|27|113|Another week done. Was a bit tired towards the end of 12.4 mile LSR on Sunday, probably because I was out on Saturday, had a few drinks, didn't get to bed until 3.30am, then got up at 8.30 and ran for 2 hours.|
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|4|24.5|128.5|LSR of 12 miles took 2:06. 1:02 for first 6 and 1:04 for second. Happy with consistent(ish) pace.|
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

quick question

at what pace should you be running your recovery runs.

currently doing them between PMP and LSR pace ... is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

I was asked by a friend did i want to attend a Runners Seminar in Wheelworx last night in their fonthill branch. Wasn't sure to go or not, it was so last minute, but dropped everything and headed. It was from 7-9pm.

Basically there was a physio there, an Asics Rep (American guy) and a professional runner. They were brilliant, talks weren't too long but informative. They covered nutrition, basic stretching, basic common injuries and prevention, energy supplements/vitamins etc...and training plans etc. I couldn't believe it was so good.

Then the best part, we got gait analysis done on an up-to-date machine and also got another one done while running on a treadmill.

I'm running in my Asics Gel Kayeano for years, (well walking up until this year). But they actually said the model down would be better for me. So i've actually saved money but with a more appropriate shoe for me!

Supposedly they done another one of these seminars before, a couple of weeks ago. Was delighted i made the effort. Although my friend only found out about it as he happened to pop in for some gels by chance last night and was told there and then.

Would like to say the staff was very helpful and all the talkers were brilliant. Maybe keep any eye out on their website for more. If i get anything sent to me i'll pass it on here too.

Those machine's are permanently in their store over there, you can book in to get the gait analysis, think it's free. So if your investing in new runners i would head there.

P.S. I normally buy my runners in Arnotts, i asked the Asicis Rep "why Arnotts don't provide this service". He said "they had the machines in but he had to take them out as they weren't using them". What a waste...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

McMillan has them even slower than LSRs, but I couldn't go that slow, at least not without my form going to ****.
    I just run at whatever feels easy and relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

mrslow wrote: »
    3-4 mins directly but 26.2 miles the way we're going:D

Sorry couldn't resist!

Ha ha, very good mrslow :D! That made me LOL! I'm pretty sure I won't be laughing on the day though :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

littlebug wrote: »
    I suppose I should think of booking somewhere to stay the night before.... even though I'm not signed up yet :rolleyes: Any suggestions?

I've booked the Mount Clare on Merrion Sq (Sunday & Monday). I don't know Dublin at all, and just want to be as close to the finish line as I can get :o Booked online though www.booking.com I was a bit worried it might be noisy what with it being the bank holiday weekend, but I'm guessing the nerves will keep me awake, regardless. Just have to be sure to get a good nights sleep on the Friday & Saturday, at home.

For anyone that can't afford a new Garmin:(, i bought the Lidl Sports Watch yesterday for 13.99EUR. Bargain!

I've a pic of it on in my log: Zero to Hero, but it looks well and hopefully (when i figure out the functions) it will be a second best to the Garmin for now. They hadn't got many yesterday, only about 5/6 in my branch.

Just for anyone like me who never owned a stopwatch/sports watch...oh how times have changed:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

McMillan has them even slower than LSRs, but I couldn't go that slow, at least not without my form going to ****.
    I just run at whatever feels easy and relaxed.

That's pretty much the same with me. Just try and chill out as much as possible and take it really easy.

JEmily wrote: »
    I was asked by a friend did i want to attend a Runners Seminar in Wheelworx last night in their fonthill branch. Wasn't sure to go or not, it was so last minute, but dropped everything and headed. It was from 7-9pm.

Basically there was a physio there, an Asics Rep (American guy) and a professional runner. They were brilliant, talks weren't too long but informative. They covered nutrition, basic stretching, basic common injuries and prevention, energy supplements/vitamins etc...and training plans etc. I couldn't believe it was so good.

Then the best part, we got gait analysis done on an up-to-date machine and also got another one done while running on a treadmill.

I'm running in my Asics Gel Kayeano for years, (well walking up until this year). But they actually said the model down would be better for me. So i've actually saved money but with a more appropriate shoe for me!

Supposedly they done another one of these seminars before, a couple of weeks ago. Was delighted i made the effort. Although my friend only found out about it as he happened to pop in for some gels by chance last night and was told there and then.

Would like to say the staff was very helpful and all the talkers were brilliant. Maybe keep any eye out on their website for more. If i get anything sent to me i'll pass it on here too.

Those machine's are permanently in their store over there, you can book in to get the gait analysis, think it's free. So if your investing in new runners i would head there.

P.S. I normally buy my runners in Arnotts, i asked the Asicis Rep "why Arnotts don't provide this service". He said "they had the machines in but he had to take them out as they weren't using them". What a waste...

They're very nice up there but they put me in Kayanos after analysis and I was running like I had flippers on, Went back to Runways for my treasured Mizuno's.

michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    D Chief|4|27|113|Another week done. Was a bit tired towards the end of 12.4 mile LSR on Sunday, probably because I was out on Saturday, had a few drinks, didn't get to bed until 3.30am, then got up at 8.30 and ran for 2 hours.|
    Curl52|||||
    James Howlett|5|36|179| *Really enjoying at @PMP runs as you can see right away if your training is on course. This training is certainly teaching me a lot, as are all your comments so thanks :)|

Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||

RubyK wrote: »
    Ha ha, very good mrslow :D! That made me LOL! I'm pretty sure I won't be laughing on the day though :o

Sure you will - laughing crying, snot bubbles - The Works;)

mitresize5 wrote: »
    quick question

at what pace should you be running your recovery runs.

currently doing them between PMP and LSR pace ... is this right?

What are the recovery runs? Are they the first run after your LSR?

JEmily wrote: »
    What are the recovery runs? Are they the first run after your LSR?

Yep! Active recovery based on the idea that warming up the muscles makes them heal faster or something along those lines:)

I have registered for DCM bring it on!

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    I have registered for DCM bring it on!

OMG:eek:, i haven't registered yet. Think when i hit the nearly 20 mile mark i'll do it. Or maybe after my 14 miles tonight if i survive...

Well done...hope the injury is on the mend.

Advertisement