Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

JEmily wrote: »
    OMG:eek:, i haven't registered yet. Think when i hit the nearly 20 mile mark i'll do it. Or maybe after my 14 miles tonight if i survive...

Well done...hope the injury is on the mend.

Felt a little tweek when I got up from my desk a little while ago but hopefully the 3 miler tonight will allay any doubts I have. Do your 14 and register! I feel more committed to it now - the €80 hole in my account is a great incentive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Next price hike is first of September

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Right so it has been a little while since I posted on this so I had better give an up date. I was going very well up to this friday...had 2 6 milers and a 3 miler at better than marathon pace and then got hit by a stomach bug which knocked me down for the weekend. So I am going to try make up my 12 mile LSR tonight.... Wish me luck!! :eek:

Now need some advice though....My original plan was to keep up training till next weekend and then take a break for the weeks holiday I have planned for then...With the way things have fallen for my last two LSR's I am not sure whether I can ..... I will be running in the hills this weekend so should be a good change.... but after that I am flyin to Israel and I honesty don't know if I will be able for an LSR in that heat.... If I miss one/maybe 2 more LSR's will this affect my performance in the actual race... Just a point to note on my runs to date I have been doing them at marathon pace or faster without too much physical discomfort.... Jus muscles are sore the next day but I think thats partially down to me not stretching enough.... Well done guys on the training to date...I have been impressed by some of the whopper runs to date... will update my run table after tonight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

JEmily wrote: »
    I was asked by a friend did i want to attend a Runners Seminar in Wheelworx last night in their fonthill branch. Wasn't sure to go or not, it was so last minute, but dropped everything and headed. It was from 7-9pm.

Basically there was a physio there, an Asics Rep (American guy) and a professional runner. They were brilliant, talks weren't too long but informative. They covered nutrition, basic stretching, basic common injuries and prevention, energy supplements/vitamins etc...and training plans etc. I couldn't believe it was so good.

Then the best part, we got gait analysis done on an up-to-date machine and also got another one done while running on a treadmill.

I'm running in my Asics Gel Kayeano for years, (well walking up until this year). But they actually said the model down would be better for me. So i've actually saved money but with a more appropriate shoe for me!

Supposedly they done another one of these seminars before, a couple of weeks ago. Was delighted i made the effort. Although my friend only found out about it as he happened to pop in for some gels by chance last night and was told there and then.

Would like to say the staff was very helpful and all the talkers were brilliant. Maybe keep any eye out on their website for more. If i get anything sent to me i'll pass it on here too.

Those machine's are permanently in their store over there, you can book in to get the gait analysis, think it's free. So if your investing in new runners i would head there.

P.S. I normally buy my runners in Arnotts, i asked the Asicis Rep "why Arnotts don't provide this service". He said "they had the machines in but he had to take them out as they weren't using them". What a waste...

Great post JEmily! Knew it was going on but couldn't make it out there... Just wondering what shoes they put you into? I was in Kayanos for a long time too but turns out they were the wrong shoe altogether, in Nimbus now but not 100% happy with them...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wheelworx do things like that a lot, they did a few bike maintaince evenings back in April and May, intro to Triathlon stuff as well. Keep an eye on their website they always announce them on there.

I was put off going to the run evenings by the fact that I knew they were going to put me in asics and I don't want to go back to asics.

• Advertisement

Perkina3 wrote: »
    ...had 2 6 milers and a 3 miler at better than marathon pace ... I am going to try make up my 12 mile LSR tonight....

Don't try doing your LSR at marathon pace!

OOOOOWWWWWWW!:eek: Just back from 3 miler, my knee niggled for first half and really hurt for the second - gonna wear a support and my old runners for tomorrows 6 miler in the park. Very annoyed:mad:

Might be worth taking a couple of days off?

RayCun wrote: »
    Might be worth taking a couple of days off?

I hadn't run since Saturday and had no issues with it, it's not even sore now!
    I'm gonna tough it out tomorrow and maybe drop Thursday's 3 miler leaving 2 days of rest to Saturday's long run. It onlly seems to hurt when I'm running and at this stage I'd trade it for hurting every other time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

are you icing or anything MrSlow?

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    are you icing or anything MrSlow?

I'm out of ice so just using Voltarol, am thoroughly p*ssed - someone magic it away for me (RK?):)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Rest it, and if it doesn't stop acting up very soon get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

Rest it, and if it doesn't stop acting up very soon get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

I know but I don't want to let my mileage slip (I know, I know) I'll tackle the 6 tomorrow and if it's not working out I'll bail and get it checked out - but it will have to be broken for me not to run 13 on Saturday!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

Hi guys, some advice here.

Sometimes after longer runs 1hr+ I can feel slightly nauseous. During most of these I am not drinking. Take water on board before and then after but not during.
    Never feel bad finishing but after an hour or so, feel bad. This can then pass with some chocolate or a Berroca type input.
    Any ideas as this has also happened on one of my LSRs where I was drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

mrslow wrote: »
    I know but I don't want to let my mileage slip (I know, I know) I'll tackle the 6 tomorrow and if it's not working out I'll bail and get it checked out - but it will have to be broken for me not to run 13 on Saturday!:mad:

Don't do a shazkea on it and try and run through the pain - it does not work!! I tried that and am out for 3 weeks as a result. Seriously take it easy as 1 run off won't really affect you but 3 weeks will!

boccy23 wrote: »

Sometimes after longer runs 1hr+ I can feel slightly nauseous. During most of these I am not drinking. Take water on board before and then after but not during.
    Never feel bad finishing but after an hour or so, feel bad. This can then pass with some chocolate or a Berroca type input.

What/when do you eat before your run, and what do you eat/how soon after?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

What/when do you eat before your run, and what do you eat/how soon after?

Mostly I will not eat anything for a couple of hours before I go out. Maybe an apple or something an hour or so before. Then after the run, I will only have water. It could be an hour or more before I will eat properly.

shazkea wrote: »
    Don't do a shazkea on it and try and run through the pain - it does not work!! I tried that and am out for 3 weeks as a result. Seriously take it easy as 1 run off won't really affect you but 3 weeks will!

What happened you?

OK I will succumb to advice and will not run until Saturday much as it kills me!

To be honest, the fact that you described it as really hurting would worry me, and that it was a constant pain getting worse as you ran. (I'm trying to stay clear off anything that even sounds like medical advice, because I couldn't even play a doctor on tv. But those things would be setting off alarm bells for me)

I've been lucky with injuries so far, but if it was me I'd be taking at least tomorrow off, and only easing back into it slowly after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

What happened you?

OK I will succumb to advice and will not run until Saturday much as it kills me!

In a nutshell I did a 10km race with a slight quad strain and turned it into a grade 2 strain...not one of my better decisions :rolleyes:. Anyway out now for over 2 weeks and won't be back till end of week (fingers crossed!)

Good decision to take it easy - honestly better to be safe than sorry in this game!

• Advertisement

Mostly I will not eat anything for a couple of hours before I go out. Maybe an apple or something an hour or so before. Then after the run, I will only have water. It could be an hour or more before I will eat properly.

Try to get something into you very soon after your run. I think you're supposed to take on carbs within 15 minutes of stopping, if you can at all. Sports drink, chocolate milk, cereal bar, fruit - whatever. I often find I don't have a lot of appetite after a long run but I'll suffer for it later in the day if I don't eat, so something sweet can stimulate the appetite.

Different people have different tolerances for food before the run - I usually leave it an hour between a bowl of muesli and going out - but you might want to try eating a bit more beforehand too?

Then again, I don't know why lack of food would cause nausea...

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

This used to happen to me last year when I was training for the DCM, generally on the runs that were 18 miles plus. I'd feel fine when running then absolutely nauseous and destroyed for the rest of the day. I reckon it must have been something to do with the electrolytes or blood sugar being out of whack. Training for another marathon at the mo and have thus far avoided this by drinking Gatorade on any runs over 15 miles and forcing chocolate milk into the system as soon as I stop.

Great work so far everyone, you're in excellent hands with Rainbow Kirby at the helm and remember to enjoy it! That's what it's all about. There's nothing quite like finishing an LSR of X miles for the first time and feeling such a sense of achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

D Chief wrote: »
    Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|4|28.3|93.2|4 sessions completed for the first time since week 1 so delighted with that.|
    The Wexican|5|0|101|Big fat zero this week, ankle only starting to feel a bit better today, after a trip to the physio on Thursday. Thank god it's only a strain, and I'll hopefully be back on the road by Wednesday|
    rofno1|2|13|114|pinched nerve in back put paid to midweek run. Broke back in gentle with 10 miles LSR at weekend|
    boccy23|0|0|117|I had too many nagging injuries so decided to take a total week off. Had a bad back, high ankle sprain and some ITBS. First time since February with no runs. Felt weird but body is in better shape now. |
    brophya2007|4|24.3|148.8|12 mile lsr was tough, 13 miles this week should be fun. All going well so far, I've lost a stone since the start :eek:|
    beamgirl|4|24|114|yeah 12 miles done 1:59:30!|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|33.4|201.9|18 mile LSR was tough, glad this is a stepback week|
    littlebug|5|23|165|this was fall back week to incorporate 8k race:)|
    meathcountysec|5|34.38|276.08|12.28 mile LSR, hitting all the targets|
    DigiJem|3|14|161|Not a great week due to illness. Taking it easy this week, hope to be right for LSR|
    D Chief|4|27|113|Another week done. Was a bit tired towards the end of 12.4 mile LSR on Sunday, probably because I was out on Saturday, had a few drinks, didn't get to bed until 3.30am, then got up at 8.30 and ran for 2 hours.|
    digger2d2|4|28|178|Decided to do 14 mile lsr on Friday after golf with no brekkie and no lunch....stupid is as stupid does...Only managed 12.3 and only really recovered today|
    Shazkea|4|0|-|A big fat 0 again in terms of running but 4 good cross-training sessions in - does cycling mileage count :). Will be back next week - PMA!|
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |5|38.6|159.6|Was feeling really good this week so pushed the boat out and ran 17.2 miles for my LSR, the last couple of miles were really tough. Delighted with it though.|
    James Howlett|||||
    RallyRunner|4|24.5|128.5|LSR of 12 miles took 2:06. 1:02 for first 6 and 1:04 for second. Happy with consistent(ish) pace.|
    corked|4|23.5|130.5|Slight step-back week for me - Was in physio for hamstring problems - think its way too early for injuries like that but lesson learnt!|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|2|26|89|Knew I could only do two sessions this week so did my lsr of 15 miles and shorter 11 mile as well.|
    Milosh|4|25|149|Just back from a 12 mile LSR in 1hr51. I think I went a bit too hard as I struggled for the last 2 miles. I was at a wedding yesterday so thats my real excuse|
    RubyK|3|27.50|143.05|On hols for a few days, so no running for four days. LSR on Sunday 16.25 miles. On my feet for 2hrs28mins11sec. Getting very anxious though about getting more miles covered on my LSR :o|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|22|50|Don't let me rant anymore, just lets say i've to do my LSR 13/14 miler tomorrow evening and wish me luck!|
    Mrslow|4|24.5|48.25|12 Mile LSR done I really hurt my knee but after wearing a support all night smothered in Voltarol, It feels much better - Roll on 13 for next week|
    marrona|4|24|199.32|4 sessions completed. and ENTERED and boked flights home!|
    Perkina3|4|27|227|4 sessions completed. Slight elongated week 7 which will affect my week 8 due to sickness..Did the week 7 LSR last night....felt alright but hit a wall at mile 8/9.... pushed through and shuffled home the last half mile. Happy enought with the LSR cuz did it in 1hr 45 which isn't bad and no pain this morning :). All in all a good end to a disastorous 2 weeks training for me.

Also on that problem about feeling sick after the LSR. Had that problem last night... I think I felt like that cuz I hadn eaten properly part from a small bar full of carbs within the 4/5 hours before....
    Had a pint of chocolate milk and chicken and veg after but didn feel right the rest of the night...Felt arite this morning..... Learned something this week...need to load more carbs before I head out :D....

And no I didn the LSR at marathon pace....Though I don't think I coulda gone much faster tbh....1 hr 45 mins for 12 miles... struggled with it

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|4|28.3|93.2|4 sessions completed for the first time since week 1 so delighted with that.|
    The Wexican|5|0|101|Big fat zero this week, ankle only starting to feel a bit better today, after a trip to the physio on Thursday. Thank god it's only a strain, and I'll hopefully be back on the road by Wednesday|
    rofno1|2|13|114|pinched nerve in back put paid to midweek run. Broke back in gentle with 10 miles LSR at weekend|
    boccy23|0|0|117|I had too many nagging injuries so decided to take a total week off. Had a bad back, high ankle sprain and some ITBS. First time since February with no runs. Felt weird but body is in better shape now. |
    brophya2007|4|24.3|148.8|12 mile lsr was tough, 13 miles this week should be fun. All going well so far, I've lost a stone since the start :eek:|
    beamgirl|4|24|114|yeah 12 miles done 1:59:30!|
    michellemuncher|||||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|33.4|201.9|18 mile LSR was tough, glad this is a stepback week|
    littlebug|5|23|165|this was fall back week to incorporate 8k race:)|
    meathcountysec|5|34.38|276.08|12.28 mile LSR, hitting all the targets|
    DigiJem|3|14|161|Not a great week due to illness. Taking it easy this week, hope to be right for LSR|
    D Chief|4|27|113|Another week done. Was a bit tired towards the end of 12.4 mile LSR on Sunday, probably because I was out on Saturday, had a few drinks, didn't get to bed until 3.30am, then got up at 8.30 and ran for 2 hours.|
    digger2d2|4|28|178|Decided to do 14 mile lsr on Friday after golf with no brekkie and no lunch....stupid is as stupid does...Only managed 12.3 and only really recovered today|
    Shazkea|4|0|-|A big fat 0 again in terms of running but 4 good cross-training sessions in - does cycling mileage count :). Will be back next week - PMA!|
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |5|38.6|159.6|Was feeling really good this week so pushed the boat out and ran 17.2 miles for my LSR, the last couple of miles were really tough. Delighted with it though.|
    James Howlett|5|36|179| *Really enjoying at @PMP runs as you can see right away if your training is on course. This training is certainly teaching me a lot, as are all your comments so thanks :)|
    RallyRunner|4|24.5|128.5|LSR of 12 miles took 2:06. 1:02 for first 6 and 1:04 for second. Happy with consistent(ish) pace.|
    corked|4|23.5|130.5|Slight step-back week for me - Was in physio for hamstring problems - think its way too early for injuries like that but lesson learnt!|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|2|26|89|Knew I could only do two sessions this week so did my lsr of 15 miles and shorter 11 mile as well.|
    Milosh|4|25|149|Just back from a 12 mile LSR in 1hr51. I think I went a bit too hard as I struggled for the last 2 miles. I was at a wedding yesterday so thats my real excuse|
    RubyK|3|27.50|143.05|On hols for a few days, so no running for four days. LSR on Sunday 16.25 miles. On my feet for 2hrs28mins11sec. Getting very anxious though about getting more miles covered on my LSR :o|
    Deleted User|7|50|Can't remember|Done 50 miles last week, happy enough, best result was 10 miles in an hour 24.|
    JEmily|5|22|50|Don't let me rant anymore, just lets say i've to do my LSR 13/14 miler tomorrow evening and wish me luck!|
    Mrslow|4|24.5|48.25|12 Mile LSR done I really hurt my knee but after wearing a support all night smothered in Voltarol, It feels much better - Roll on 13 for next week|
    marrona|4|24|199.32|4 sessions completed. and ENTERED and boked flights home!|

To be honest, the fact that you described it as really hurting would worry me, and that it was a constant pain getting worse as you ran. (I'm trying to stay clear off anything that even sounds like medical advice, because I couldn't even play a doctor on tv. But those things would be setting off alarm bells for me)

I've been lucky with injuries so far, but if it was me I'd be taking at least tomorrow off, and only easing back into it slowly after that.

Anyone know anything about IT Band injury?

A physio. :)

Seriously though, if you think you're injured, get advice from a professional who examines it in person rather than a bunch of randomers over the internet.

A physio. :)

Seriously though, if you think you're injured, get advice from a professional who examines it in person rather than a bunch of randomers over the internet.

Do I go to Physio or GP? If physio does anyone know a good one in D15?

No idea, sorry, but maybe do a search in the main thread. Physio requests come up very often, there's bound to be some from that area

No idea, sorry, but maybe do a search in the main thread. Physio requests come up very often, there's bound to be some from that area

Thanks Ray, have an appointment for half five - keep your fingers crossed for me! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thanks Ray, have an appointment for half five - keep your fingers crossed for me! :(

Best to get it checked out though and to have your answer, than to be slogging on painfully and possibly making things worse.

Advertisement