Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Best to get it checked out though and to have your answer, than to be slogging on painfully and possibly making things worse.

What if it's not the answer I want?:( Someone told me this morning to keep running it'll go away but I think logic is the way forward:) Will skip my 6er for this evening see what the Physio says and decide how best to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

mrslow wrote: »
    What if it's not the answer I want?:( Someone told me this morning to keep running it'll go away but I think logic is the way forward:) Will skip my 6er for this evening see what the Physio says and decide how best to proceed.

If its ITB (only a medical professional can call this..) its an overuse injury. So more overuse will make it worse not better.

If its ITB (only a medical professional can call this..) its an overuse injury. So more overuse will make it worse not better.

I wish LSR's were the cure for everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Mr Slow... Again do follow the Cun's advice. Though just speaking from my experience the trouble I was having with my IT Band I cleared up by adding a couple of stretches to my warm down. The hip flexer really works and there are others which work as well. I would say you need to put that and another similar stretch in to work the IT Band.

At present after getting these stretches I have basically eliminated 2 big problems which were affecting me.

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Mr Slow... Again do follow the Cun's advice. Though just speaking from my experience the trouble I was having with my IT Band I cleared up by adding a couple of stretches to my warm down. The hip flexer really works and there are others which work as well. I would say you need to put that and another similar stretch in to work the IT Band.

At present after getting these stretches I have basically eliminated 2 big problems which were affecting me.

Perkina - you're a little ray of sunshine on this cloudy day;) I'll log on this evening and let ye know the story.

Thanks for all of the advice

• Advertisement

No hassle mate but remember...If you are going to try it out...research another stretch as well...The one I use also works the glutes but apparently helps the IT band....

Jus also make sure you take it nice and handy cuz it may not work right away or not at all...The worst thing you can do is injure yourself now and have to pull out of the DCM.... (Ie worked for me ...mightn't for you)

Basically....BE CAREFUL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Basically....BE CAREFUL :D

I'd like to emphasize this. This is a stage of training where niggly little injuries start to happen, and they can derail your training badly if allowed to build into something more serious. A few aches, and possibly some stiffness, is quite normal as your body adjusts to going longer, but sharp pain is never, ever a good thing and should be checked out. It's better to miss one week now to get a niggle sorted than to end up missing DCM because a minor injury has worsened to a point where you have to take 6-8 weeks out.

The golden rule: IF IN DOUBT, GET IT CHECKED OUT!

I'd like to emphasize this. This is a stage of training where niggly little injuries start to happen, and they can derail your training badly if allowed to build into something more serious. A few aches, and possibly some stiffness, is quite normal as your body adjusts to going longer, but sharp pain is never, ever a good thing and should be checked out. It's better to miss one week now to get a niggle sorted than to end up missing DCM because a minor injury has worsened to a point where you have to take 6-8 weeks out.

The golden rule: IF IN DOUBT, GET IT CHECKED OUT!

Just to clarify, I'm off to the Physio tonight and will let ye know how I get on with that. ;)

I know - I'm just making a general statement to everyone. Last year, there were quite a few people in the novice group who had similar issues at this stage and missed some important LSRs because of this and it affected their performance at DCM, and I wouldn't like to see that happen to any of you!

I know - I'm just making a general statement to everyone. Last year, there were quite a few people in the novice group who had similar issues at this stage and missed some important LSRs because of this and it affected their performance at DCM, and I wouldn't like to see that happen to any of you!

You take good care of us alright RK:) Your first pint's on me after the race:D

• Advertisement

Your first pint's on me after the racebiggrin.gif
    Hey....What bout ur lil ray of sunshine on a cloudy day MrSlow:p

Your first pint's on me after the racebiggrin.gif
    Hey....What bout ur lil ray of sunshine on a cloudy day MrSlow:p

Go on then! Barkeep a large one for Perkina;)

Hi all - Just back from physio.

IT Band issue with slight cartilage problem, have to rest:( (with many many stretches) until Saturday and then get out and run. I'm back with their biomechanical guy on Monday to see if I need corrective inserts in my runners. This may be an issue down the road because my new runners are actually the previous generation to my favourite ones. I'm going to run in my old ones on Saturday with a knee support and fingers crossed I'll be brand new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Go on then! Barkeep a large one for Perkina;)

Now I'm feeling left out - what about the rest of us :D

shazkea wrote: »
    Now I'm feeling left out - what about the rest of us :D

I'll tell you what, if i run the DCM in 3:15 I'll buy everyone in the race their first drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

`
    Sorry to hear about your injury MrSlow but better to have a few days out now and proper treatment rather than 6 weeks off later.

I'll tell you what, if i run the DCM in 3:15 I'll buy everyone in the race their first drink!

Emmm think your wallet is safe so :D

Hard luck on injury but hopefully a few days rest is all it needs.

littlebug wrote: »
    `
    Sorry to hear about your injury MrSlow but better to have a few days out now and proper treatment rather than 6 weeks off later.

Thanks Littlebug, I'm sitting here with a beer when I should be having a post run Lucosade Sport:mad: I'll stretch the sh*te out of it for the next few days and then I'm gonna eat up those 13 miles on Saturday!

Emmm think your wallet is safe so :D

Hard luck on injury but hopefully a few days rest is all it needs.

You'd never know I could really improve over the next few days?:rolleyes: Where's the support?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you're only missing a couple of days running, that counts as a win. Have another beer to celebrate

• Advertisement

You'd never know I could really improve over the next few days?:rolleyes: Where's the support?

lol - sincere apologies, you're absolutely right - should be more supportive :D. I just wouldn't want you to have to wait in the pub until I hauled my ass over the finish line and into the bar as it may be a long wait!! I was only thinking of your post-race recovery!

RayCun wrote: »
    If you're only missing a couple of days running, that counts as a win. Have another beer to celebrate

Thanks Ray, It'll be a win if it all comes to pass.

lol - sincere apologies, you're absolutely right - should be more supportive :D. I just wouldn't want you to have to wait in the pub until I hauled my ass over the finish line and into the bar as it may be a long wait!! I was only thinking of your post-race recovery!

There'll be no hauling here - we are all going to gloriously float over the finish line looking like we've just been made over by Gok Wan!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

hi guys,

could anyone recommend a type of runner to get? i want to get a second pair and don't trust sales assistants. and dont have a clue what to look for. the last pair i got, i was videoed on a treadmill to examine gait etc. i was very sceptical of the spiel I got about "overpronating", especially when the woman ahead of me got the exact same diagnosis. the pair i was advised to get gave me very sizeable blisters in three places (on the inside side of each foot, half way down and on the right hand side of my big toe on my right foot) for about a month. i dont get blisters any more but skin a bit raw in one place and runners cut a little bit very occasionally.

are blisters just a necessary evil for a while? or did i have the wrong shoe?

marrona wrote: »
    hi guys,

could anyone recommend a type of runner to get? i want to get a second pair and don't trust sales assistants. and dont have a clue what to look for. the last pair i got, i was videoed on a treadmill to examine gait etc. i was very sceptical of the spiel I got about "overpronating", especially when the woman ahead of me got the exact same diagnosis. the pair i was advised to get gave me very sizeable blisters in three places (on the inside side of each foot, half way down and on the right hand side of my big toe on my right foot) for about a month. i dont get blisters any more but skin a bit raw in one place and runners cut a little bit very occasionally.

are blisters just a necessary evil for a while? or did i have the wrong shoe?

go to Runways in Parnell st - The Real McCoy!

Where was that gait analysis done, and what shoes are you wearing?

Also, a relatively high percentage of people overpronate. It wouldn't be unusual for two consecutive people in a running shop to overpronate.

You shouldn't be getting sizeable blisters, and your runners really should not be cutting. If it's on the inside side of your foot about halfway down, it sounds like there is too much arch support in the shoe (I had a similar problem shortly after I started running, I was recommended the Brooks Addiction which is a heavy MC shoe and it was just too much support), or the shoe is too narrow for you at that point of your foot (in which case, if you have wide feet, you should probably look to brands like New Balance which naturally run slightly wider). Either way, it sounds like you were in the wrong shoe, and you should probably look for a second opinion.

thank mrslow and rainbow. i'll try Runways.

that analysis was in elvery's on suffolk st and the runners i got are Nike. says "strucure 13" on the tongue, "nike zoom" on the sole and "Bowerman series" on the insole

mr slow? or mrs low?!

marrona wrote: »
    mr slow? or mrs low?!

Mr. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Give Amphibian king in Bray a try. You probabaly overpronate alright, but to avoid blisters you also need a pair of runners that fit well.
    Amphibian king was the only place that measured my foot (both length and width) aswell as giving me a gait analysis. They also gave me about 5 different pair of runners from all brands to try on for fit and comfort.

Advertisement