Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

gah, just went to enter the 10mile in the race series but entries are closed

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

menoscemo wrote: »
    Give Amphibian king in Bray a try. You probabaly overpronate alright, but to avoid blisters you also need a pair of runners that fit well.
    Amphibian king was the only place that measured my foot (both length and width) aswell as giving me a gait analysis. They also gave me about 5 different pair of runners from all brands to try on for fit and comfort.

+1 recommendation for Amphibian King. Very happy with runners I got there. Apparently I overpronate on right foot, but not on left. Given runners with mild support and very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

mrslow wrote: »
    Hi all - Just back from physio.

IT Band issue with slight cartilage problem, have to rest:( (with many many stretches) until Saturday and then get out and run. I'm back with their biomechanical guy on Monday to see if I need corrective inserts in my runners. This may be an issue down the road because my new runners are actually the previous generation to my favourite ones. I'm going to run in my old ones on Saturday with a knee support and fingers crossed I'll be brand new.

guarantee you'll be precribed expensive orthotics that they can helpfully measure and supply you with in house.

Not saying they wont suit you Mr Slow - its just that it amazes me the amount of people who have gone to physios in the last few years to be told they need them. I'd nearly hazard a quess and say most of the people I know have. How anyone ever ran before these silver bullets is beyond me. To be honest I'm very cynical about that whole industry

I'd be interested to know how many of the more experienced athletes actually use them

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Well mitre I dunno,

I wear them and I think I actually did need them...I had terrible ankle trouble before and I can actually see my problem when I walk( My ankles roll in on themselves)

I do believe a lot of ppl need them...Have you ever seen the way some ppl walk and the way one side of your shoes are worn? This is cuz you are not walkin properly and ur doing damage to ur feet...

No I am not a physio but I do believe that MOST )and I stress the most cuz there are some cowboys out there) physios know what they are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

IT Band issue with slight cartilage problem, have to rest:( (with many many stretches) until Saturday and then get out and run. I'm back with their biomechanical guy on Monday to see if I need corrective inserts in my runners. This may be an issue down the road because my new runners are actually the previous generation to my favourite ones. I'm going to run in my old ones on Saturday with a knee support and fingers crossed I'll be brand new.

I'd rather have the issue now than another 3/4 weeks or worse still the week of the marathon. Better to get stuck in with rehab now. At least from this weekend or next week you'll be whizzing by us in your new snazzy runners and inserts...;)

P.S. I'm sure i'll be trying to keep up with you, not the other way around somehow:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

JEmily wrote: »
    I'd rather have the issue now than another 3/4 weeks or worse still the week of the marathon. Better to get stuck in with rehab now. At least from this weekend or next week you'll be whizzing by us in your new snazzy runners and inserts...;)

P.S. I'm sure i'll be trying to keep up with you, not the other way around somehow:(

You covered 14 in the time it took me to do 12:( Maybe we could get a rope and you could pull me along:D

You covered 14 in the time it took me to do 12:( Maybe we could get a rope and you could pull me along:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D love it! With the size of my thighs with all this road running, no bother!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D love it! With the size of my thighs with all this road running, no bother!!!

Actually could you run the marathon for me? I'd be most grateful:) It'd be great to have that big shiny medal and no pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

D Chief wrote: »
    +1 recommendation for Amphibian King. Very happy with runners I got there. Apparently I overpronate on right foot, but not on left. Given runners with mild support and very happy with them.

Was in Amphibian King yesterday, got a pair of Asics Gel Kayanos in a lovely :rolleyes: purple colour! The gait analysis was great!
    What is with the colour of women's runners though. My choice was purple or gold. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|4|28.3|93.2|4 sessions completed for the first time since week 1 so delighted with that.|
    The Wexican|5|0|101|Big fat zero this week, ankle only starting to feel a bit better today, after a trip to the physio on Thursday. Thank god it's only a strain, and I'll hopefully be back on the road by Wednesday|
    rofno1|2|13|114|pinched nerve in back put paid to midweek run. Broke back in gentle with 10 miles LSR at weekend|
    boccy23|0|0|117|I had too many nagging injuries so decided to take a total week off. Had a bad back, high ankle sprain and some ITBS. First time since February with no runs. Felt weird but body is in better shape now. |
    brophya2007|4|24.3|148.8|12 mile lsr was tough, 13 miles this week should be fun. All going well so far, I've lost a stone since the start :eek:|
    beamgirl|4|24|114|yeah 12 miles done 1:59:30!|
    michellemuncher|3|11|128|I also completed a lengthy duathlon, but unfortunately I hurt my soleus muscle (I think) when wall climbing (probably) the next day :(|
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|33.4|201.9|18 mile LSR was tough, glad this is a stepback week|
    littlebug|5|23|165|this was fall back week to incorporate 8k race:)|
    meathcountysec|5|34.38|276.08|12.28 mile LSR, hitting all the targets|
    DigiJem|3|14|161|Not a great week due to illness. Taking it easy this week, hope to be right for LSR|
    D Chief|4|27|113|Another week done. Was a bit tired towards the end of 12.4 mile LSR on Sunday, probably because I was out on Saturday, had a few drinks, didn't get to bed until 3.30am, then got up at 8.30 and ran for 2 hours.|
    digger2d2|4|28|178|Decided to do 14 mile lsr on Friday after golf with no brekkie and no lunch....stupid is as stupid does...Only managed 12.3 and only really recovered today|
    Shazkea|4|0|-|A big fat 0 again in terms of running but 4 good cross-training sessions in - does cycling mileage count :). Will be back next week - PMA!|
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |5|38.6|159.6|Was feeling really good this week so pushed the boat out and ran 17.2 miles for my LSR, the last couple of miles were really tough. Delighted with it though.|
    James Howlett|5|36|179| *Really enjoying at @PMP runs as you can see right away if your training is on course. This training is certainly teaching me a lot, as are all your comments so thanks :)|
    RallyRunner|4|24.5|128.5|LSR of 12 miles took 2:06. 1:02 for first 6 and 1:04 for second. Happy with consistent(ish) pace.|
    corked|4|23.5|130.5|Slight step-back week for me - Was in physio for hamstring problems - think its way too early for injuries like that but lesson learnt!|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|2|26|89|Knew I could only do two sessions this week so did my lsr of 15 miles and shorter 11 mile as well.|
    Milosh|4|25|149|Just back from a 12 mile LSR in 1hr51. I think I went a bit too hard as I struggled for the last 2 miles. I was at a wedding yesterday so thats my real excuse|
    RubyK|3|27.50|143.05|On hols for a few days, so no running for four days. LSR on Sunday 16.25 miles. On my feet for 2hrs28mins11sec. Getting very anxious though about getting more miles covered on my LSR :o|
    The_Dazzler|7|50|Can't remember|Done 50 miles last week, happy enough, best result was 10 miles in an hour 24.|
    JEmily|5|22|50|Don't let me rant anymore, just lets say i've to do my LSR 13/14 miler tomorrow evening and wish me luck!|
    Mrslow|4|24.5|48.25|12 Mile LSR done I really hurt my knee but after wearing a support all night smothered in Voltarol, It feels much better - Roll on 13 for next week|
    marrona|4|24|199.32|4 sessions completed. and ENTERED and boked flights home!|

So the muscle just above the inside of my ankle was sore when I walk and still is at times which means I am laid up from running for the time being. I am very disappointed and hopefully it will be better for the 10m race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

jcsmum wrote: »
    Was in Amphibian King yesterday, got a pair of Asics Gel Kayanos in a lovely :rolleyes: purple colour! The gait analysis was great!
    What is with the colour of women's runners though. My choice was purple or gold. :eek:

+1 (or should that be +2 now) for Amphibean King - felt like they gave me a proper service and offered 3 different types of runners for me - the ones I chose (Mizuno) have been great and have carried me over 550 miles - which reminds me - I need to go back to amphibean king :D

William72 wrote: »
    +1 (or should that be +2 now) for Amphibean King - felt like they gave me a proper service and offered 3 different types of runners for me - the ones I chose (Mizuno) have been great and have carried me over 550 miles - which reminds me - I need to go back to amphibean king :D

A giant +1 for Mizuno's!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

menoscemo wrote: »
    Give Amphibian king in Bray a try. You probabaly overpronate alright, but to avoid blisters you also need a pair of runners that fit well.
    Amphibian king was the only place that measured my foot (both length and width) aswell as giving me a gait analysis. They also gave me about 5 different pair of runners from all brands to try on for fit and comfort.

+1 on the recommendation. I got my last pair of runners there on my marathon running brothers recommendation. He travels from Kildare to buy his there all the time. I live in Bray and never heard of them until a month ago!

The German (might be Dutch) guy in there spent a good 30 minutes with me and gave me at least 5 pairs of runners to try (all cheaper than the asics I had been wearing). The Brooks he sold me in the end are the best pair I ever had in terms of comfort and fit.

OOOOOWWWWWWW!:eek: Just back from 3 miler, my knee niggled for first half and really hurt for the second - gonna wear a support and my old runners for tomorrows 6 miler in the park. Very annoyed:mad:
    What if it's not the answer I want?:( Someone told me this morning to keep running it'll go away but I think logic is the way forward:) Will skip my 6er for this evening see what the Physio says and decide how best to proceed.

Sounds all very familiar - have had niggling pain now for a few weeks. decided (and wrote here on Monday) I was finally going to go to Physio but then felt better and went out for my 3 mile on tuesday - that was fine but the 6 miler last night not so much. Rang and made an appt for tomorrow so no running til then - fingers crossed its only a short lay off with some knee support or something. Also need to change my runners - could that be an issue? - there's 550 miles on them at this stage....

William72 wrote: »
    Sounds all very familiar - have had niggling pain now for a few weeks. decided (and wrote here on Monday) I was finally going to go to Physio but then felt better and went out for my 3 mile on tuesday - that was fine but the 6 miler last night not so much. Rang and made an appt for tomorrow so no running til then - fingers crossed its only a short lay off with some knee support or something. Also need to change my runners - could that be an issue? - there's 550 miles on them at this stage....

My physio reckons I have this 'rolling in' issue, maybe if your runners are worn down on one side it could be the same effect. Go to the physio though as he eliminated about 8 other more serious things that my complaint could be so at least my mind is at ease even though I'm like a caged animal scratching at the door to get out and run.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My physio reckons I have this 'rolling in' issue, maybe if your runners are worn down on one side it could be the same effect.

rolling in is over-pronation, lots of people have it to some extent. Some runners (including my own Mizuno Wave Inspires) have more support in the arch to deal with this.

I'm another one who is dubious about the number of people who are prescribed orthotics...

My physio reckons I have this 'rolling in' issue, maybe if your runners are worn down on one side it could be the same effect. Go to the physio though as he eliminated about 8 other more serious things that my complaint could be so at least my mind is at ease even though I'm like a caged animal scratching at the door to get out and run.:(

runners are a little worn but deffo nothing major - anyway I'll just see what the physio says...

RayCun wrote: »
    rolling in is over-pronation, lots of people have it to some extent. Some runners (including my own Mizuno Wave Inspires) have more support in the arch to deal with this.

I'm another one who is dubious about the number of people who are prescribed orthotics...

Yep - I'm an over pronator - I've the same runners too

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    Oh god I hate the colour choices in women's shoes. I seriously thought I hit the jackpot when I opened the box on my Brooks Adrenalines (another pretty decent shoe for overpronators...) and saw red. :D

Was especially infuriating back when I was wearing Kayano 15's, the women's colours were always some kind of baby blue or turquoise, while the men got a really nice royal blue or red. Grr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Oh god I hate the colour choices in women's shoes. I seriously thought I hit the jackpot when I opened the box on my Brooks Adrenalines (another pretty decent shoe for overpronators...) and saw red. :D

Was especially infuriating back when I was wearing Kayano 15's, the women's colours were always some kind of baby blue or turquoise, while the men got a really nice royal blue or red. Grr.

+1 I have the purple and it's awful...better than the gold though!

Also anyone know what the rationale behind the cross lacing on the kayano 16 is - annoying me!

• Advertisement

I think the actual reason was "to go along with the natural shape of the foot", but when I tried the Kay16 it felt like my foot was being pulled from my little toe. I really don't like the asymmetric lacing. I would actually love if they went back to the 14, that was a damn nice shoe.

shazkea wrote: »

Also anyone know what the rationale behind the cross lacing on the kayano 16 is - annoying me!

The Mizuno's I love happen to be silver and green - not pretty but they do exactly what they're supposed to ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I think the actual reason was "to go along with the natural shape of the foot", but when I tried the Kay16 it felt like my foot was being pulled from my little toe. I really don't like the asymmetric lacing. I would actually love if they went back to the 14, that was a damn nice shoe.

Yeah it does feel really strange - especially if I go back to my old runners (GT2140 - loved those). Beats me why manufacturers mess with a good thing - 14's and 2140 no longer available!

shazkea wrote: »

I voiced all opinions on the cross lacing on the new Kayano to the American Asics Rep at that seminar during the week. Rational for cross lacing was it would stop friction on the front of the foot during runs. :confused: The old way never frictioned me!

Also voiced opinion on the new Kayano the toe top is cut so short (the actual coloured/hard material bit where your toe nail normally hits) was cut so thin that your toe came through the top only after a couple of uses. Happened 3/4 of us in my house.

Lastly, they seem to wear on the soles alot quicker than the old Kayeno's.

The list goes on...

He was a nice guy actually and agreed with the points above and said they have recieved these complaints already from others, are hoping to take them on baord for next year.

FYI i hate the cross lace, no support for my thin foot. He put me in a pair of Asics 2150's. Felt like my old Kayano's from a couple of years ago again! Think i may purchase these as my Kayano's are needing replacing. Although interested in this place in Bray - Amphibian King? Worth my while going there too???

What are the Mizuno's like? Am coming from being an Asics girl since i wore my first pair of exercise runners. (long time:P)

Just for fun - from the Mizuno website:

Precision Fit Online

I voiced all opinions on the cross lacing on the new Kayano to the American Asics Rep at that seminar during the week. Rational for cross lacing was it would stop friction on the front of the foot during runs. :confused: The old way never frictioned me!

Also voiced opinion on the new Kayano the toe top is cut so short (the actual coloured/hard material bit where your toe nail normally hits) was cut so thin that your toe came through the top only after a couple of uses. Happened 3/4 of us in my house.

Lastly, they seem to wear on the soles alot quicker than the old Kayeno's.

The list goes on...

He was a nice guy actually and agreed with the points above and said they have recieved these complaints already from others, are hoping to take them on baord for next year.

FYI i hate the cross lace, no support for my thin foot. He put me in a pair of Asics 2150's. Felt like my old Kayano's from a couple of years ago again! Think i may purchase these as my Kayano's are needing replacing. Although interested in this place in Bray - Amphibian King? Worth my while going there too???

The next runners evening is 20th Sept in Wheelworks btw

With regard to Mizunos my wave creation raise the toes a touch which I thought would really bother me but they actually make you roll through to toe off.

They're very good and helpful in Amphibian King but I found Runways great and on the offchance they don't get it right they'll swap the runners for a more suitable pair no problem, Amphibian King will only swap them if they're only used on a treadmill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

another Mizuno fan here. I wore my new ones for the first time last night (ordered late Sunday night and arrived on Tuesday morning from John Buckleys). I find them really light compared to the asics and have more room in the toebox. I was occasionally wearing saucony but though they have a lot of support they're very heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

to answer both your questions....

I went along to Amphibian King, told them I was wearing some neutral Asics and was happy with them. She asked what kind of running I was doing, did the gait analysis, looked at my weight distribution, agreed they were fine, and brought out a few pairs for me to try. As I was trying one of them (she got me to run in each pair) she noticed a bit of a hitch in my stride with my right leg. I said yeah, long run yesterday, a little soreness over the knee. She said, hmm, in that case you could probably use some more support on your arches, brought out another 3 or 4 pairs of runners, and I ended up with the Mizunos.

First couple of runs felt a bit odd (they're slightly smaller too), but now I think they're great. I have another pair of Asics too, so I'm going to alternate long runs between them next month to decide which to wear for DCM. Right now I'm wearing the Asics for short recovery runs and the Mizunos for the harder sessions, and I think alternating between slightly different shoes has been good for my feet.

• Advertisement

Right now I'm wearing the Asics for short recovery runs and the Mizunos for the harder sessions, and I think alternating between slightly different shoes has been good for my feet.
    I'd agree with that - I'm also rotating between 2 pairs and I think the variety has been good. Took me quite a while to adjust to the Lunarglides I wear for shorter runs though!

Advertisement