Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'd agree with that - I'm also rotating between 2 pairs and I think the variety has been good. Took me quite a while to adjust to the Lunarglides I wear for shorter runs though!

I have Mizuno Wave Nirvana's but got Lunarglide plus for the shorter runs....Mizunos now feel dead to me and I wore the Lunarglides for my LSR today over 15 miles.....I'll tell you in the morning how the legs feel...!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

JEmily wrote: »
    Also voiced opinion on the new Kayano the toe top is cut so short (the actual coloured/hard material bit where your toe nail normally hits) was cut so thin that your toe came through the top only after a couple of uses. Happened 3/4 of us in my house.

Yep, happened me on my Kayano 15's last year although the fact that they were too big and I had toe nails like Father Jack didn't help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I went out this evening (Don't give out to me RK:o ), I couldn't resist just had to get my fix. 3.5 miles and while not pain free was much better than Tuesday. Ran literally to my door and when I got in I stretched/iced/Voltarolled and put the support back on.

Short story long - Mr Slow is back and slower than ever:D:D

Quick reminder about the group run in the park tomorrow, 13.1 mile Adidas route kicking off at 9 - 9.15 all are welcome. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't understand how you're planning to run this route starting from that gate?
    (i'm only in it for 6/7 miles anyway, this time I will remember how far away I'm getting from home and how many miles I should be running)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|4|28.3|93.2|4 sessions completed for the first time since week 1 so delighted with that.|
    The Wexican|5|0|101|Big fat zero this week, ankle only starting to feel a bit better today, after a trip to the physio on Thursday. Thank god it's only a strain, and I'll hopefully be back on the road by Wednesday|
    rofno1|2|13|114|pinched nerve in back put paid to midweek run. Broke back in gentle with 10 miles LSR at weekend|
    boccy23|0|0|117|I had too many nagging injuries so decided to take a total week off. Had a bad back, high ankle sprain and some ITBS. First time since February with no runs. Felt weird but body is in better shape now. |
    brophya2007|4|24.3|148.8|12 mile lsr was tough, 13 miles this week should be fun. All going well so far, I've lost a stone since the start :eek:|
    beamgirl|4|24|114|yeah 12 miles done 1:59:30!|
    michellemuncher|3|11|128|I also completed a lengthy duathlon, but unfortunately I hurt my soleus muscle (I think) when wall climbing (probably) the next day :(|
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|33.4|201.9|18 mile LSR was tough, glad this is a stepback week|
    littlebug|5|23|165|this was fall back week to incorporate 8k race:)|
    meathcountysec|5|34.38|276.08|12.28 mile LSR, hitting all the targets|
    DigiJem|3|14|161|Not a great week due to illness. Taking it easy this week, hope to be right for LSR|
    D Chief|4|27|113|Another week done. Was a bit tired towards the end of 12.4 mile LSR on Sunday, probably because I was out on Saturday, had a few drinks, didn't get to bed until 3.30am, then got up at 8.30 and ran for 2 hours.|
    digger2d2|4|28|178|Decided to do 14 mile lsr on Friday after golf with no brekkie and no lunch....stupid is as stupid does...Only managed 12.3 and only really recovered today|
    Shazkea|4|0|-|A big fat 0 again in terms of running but 4 good cross-training sessions in - does cycling mileage count :). Will be back next week - PMA!|
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |5|38.6|159.6|Was feeling really good this week so pushed the boat out and ran 17.2 miles for my LSR, the last couple of miles were really tough. Delighted with it though.|
    James Howlett|5|36|179| *Really enjoying at @PMP runs as you can see right away if your training is on course. This training is certainly teaching me a lot, as are all your comments so thanks :)|
    RallyRunner|4|24.5|128.5|LSR of 12 miles took 2:06. 1:02 for first 6 and 1:04 for second. Happy with consistent(ish) pace.|
    corked|4|23.5|130.5|Slight step-back week for me - Was in physio for hamstring problems - think its way too early for injuries like that but lesson learnt!|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|2|26|89|Knew I could only do two sessions this week so did my lsr of 15 miles and shorter 11 mile as well.|
    Milosh|4|25|149|Just back from a 12 mile LSR in 1hr51. I think I went a bit too hard as I struggled for the last 2 miles. I was at a wedding yesterday so thats my real excuse|
    RubyK|3|17.95|161|LSR tomorrow! Hoping to get up to 18.|
    The_Dazzler|7|50|Can't remember|Done 50 miles last week, happy enough, best result was 10 miles in an hour 24.|
    JEmily|5|22|50|Don't let me rant anymore, just lets say i've to do my LSR 13/14 miler tomorrow evening and wish me luck!|
    Mrslow|4|24.5|48.25|12 Mile LSR done I really hurt my knee but after wearing a support all night smothered in Voltarol, It feels much better - Roll on 13 for next week|
    marrona|4|24|199.32|4 sessions completed. and ENTERED and boked flights home!|

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't understand how you're planning to run this route starting from that gate?
    (i'm only in it for 6/7 miles anyway, this time I will remember how far away I'm getting from home and how many miles I should be running)

By starting there we can shave off the loop around the roundabout below the zoo and the loop at the Castleknock gate, run an extra few yards at the end of Furze rd to ensure the full 13 and we're back (with a short walk) to the car.:)

Where's the faith?;)

Hope you are all sorted now mrslow :D Voltrol is great stuff altogether.

RubyK wrote: »
    Hope you are all sorted now mrslow :D Voltrol is great stuff altogether.

Thanks Ruby, I'm not a 100% but more confident in lasting the 13. It's good stuff alright but after my run on Saturday I'd have let someone fix the knee with a lump hammer and phillips screwdriver if it would make the pain go away:)

mrslow wrote: »
    but after my run on Saturday I'd have let someone fix the knee with a lump hammer and phillips screwdriver if it would make the pain go away:)

Jebas mrslow, sounds nasty :eek: Hope you are well on the mend.

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    Jebas mrslow, sounds nasty :eek: Hope you are well on the mend.

Thanks again Ruby, tomorrow will tell;)

Hold the phone! This is this years route - http://dublinmarathon.ie/map10_halfmara.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 inea

I have been following this thread with interest but I have a couple of queries re pace, esp for the LSRs. I am following the Hal Higdeon novice 2 plan with the hope of completing dublin in under 4 hours but confused as to what pace to run the long runs at - so far i have done the 14 miles in 2h10, and the mid week 7 mile runs between 61 and 63 minutes. Should I be going faster / slower on these runs? does the 4 hours seem doable or am i better off forgetting about time and just finishing?

inea - do your long slow runs at about 10 minutes/mile and your midweek medium runs at about 9 minutes/mile (planned marathon pace).
    So you seem to be fine in midweek but a little fast on the weekend.

mrslow - right, I'm going to let you worry about direction, and I'll just concentrate on turning around when it's time to go home

inea - do your long slow runs at about 10 minutes/mile and your midweek medium runs at about 9 minutes/mile (planned marathon pace).
    So you seem to be fine in midweek but a little fast on the weekend.

mrslow - right, I'm going to let you worry about direction, and I'll just concentrate on turning around when it's time to go home

That's more like it, see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Quick reminder about the group run in the park tomorrow, 13.1 mile Adidas route kicking off at 9 - 9.15 all are welcome. :D

Good luck all tomorrow, you'll all do fab! I'm doing my first mini triathlon tomorrow afternoon for charity...should be fun...might get some pics up if i'm not too red faced:o.

Hope to do a Park run with a few of you in the next week or 2. I live in Kildare so it's a big day out for me;)

JEmily wrote: »
    Good luck all tomorrow, you'll all do fab! I'm doing my first mini triathlon tomorrow afternoon for charity...should be fun...might get some pics up if i'm not too red faced:o.

Hope to do a Park run with a few of you in the next week or 2. I live in Kildare so it's a big day out for me;)

good luck to you with your race:)

There's 4 confirmed for tomorrow with 2 more maybes, don't forget your passport when you come up from the sticks :D
    (This from a Limerick man;))

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Hi All,

Would Jelly Babies be an alternative to energy gels? I've run out of my gels and went to get some more in the local JJB but all gone. I tried a few other stores, pharmacies in Limerick but no joy.

What do ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hi All,

Would Jelly Babies be an alternative to energy gels? I've run out of my gels and went to get some more in the local JJB but all gone. I tried a few other stores, pharmacies in Limerick but no joy.

What do ye think?

Lelly Babies are great, fig rolls are another popular choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Hi All,

What do ye think?

Try tesco. My local stocks them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The Jelly Babies will do fine, but try Boots or local health food shops for gels. I quite often get them in the health food shop in Grafton St, purely because I'm lazy and it's on my way home from UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

What if it's not the answer I want?:( Someone told me this morning to keep running it'll go away but I think logic is the way forward:) Will skip my 6er for this evening see what the Physio says and decide how best to proceed.

Ive built it into my plan to see a physio once a mth in training - even if its just for a sports massage but at least its preventative.... did 2 this month to sort a hamstring problem n did not even have to stop running.... if I left it build up like the last time it happened i cud be out for a mth... to quote a previous poster.... if in doubt check it out!

my physio gave me heaps of advice on running / stretches / nutrition and I'm even going running with him twice a mth! how bad!:)

Jelly Babies are definitely a NO NO for me.

Left a bottle of water along my planned route this morning at mile 6, had the jelly babies in the pocket and was ready to go.

Got to miles 6 feeling ok, this is normally when I take my gel with some water. Water bottle gone - great. Took two jelly babies just to see if they would settle ok and kept running. At mile 7 I went off the route to go to the local spar for a bottle of water (Lucky I brought money with me).

Took a few sips of water and said i'll hold onto the bottle for a couple of miles. Took another jelly baby and half a mile later the stomach was not well. Kept going until mile 9, bottle in the hand was getting annoying and stopped to finish the water and throw away the bottle.

Stopped another 2 times along the way - just didn't feel right.

In the end 13.5 miles in 2:19:37. 10:39 min/mile.

A bit disappointed to be honest and starting to question this quest right now.

You have to let the bad runs go, and trust in your training. Jelly babies aren't for you, so get hold of some gels before your next long run.

You have to let the bad runs go, and trust in your training. Jelly babies aren't for you, so get hold of some gels before your next long run.

Cheers Ray - first bad run of the training program so far so can't complain. Better to put it behind me, enjoy the mid-weeks run in preparation for the 10 miler on Saturday.

Well at least you know now that jelly babies don't work for you. It's all part of the learning experience, even if it's not too pleasant at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Well at least you know now that jelly babies don't work for you. It's all part of the learning experience, even if it's not too pleasant at the time!

So true...thats what your longer runs are for to test nutrion, shoes, clothes & some ppl even test their music play list - its a practice run for Oct 25th... to make sure every thing is right.... so all in all it was not a bad run for you brophya as you learnt not to use jellys on the day!

I've not started with gels just yet - have clonmel half tomorrow and will start using them from here on out.

If I said I wasn't sore I'd be lying but met up with Raycun, The Wexican and Chinguetti and had a blissful 13.1 miles, running in a group definately gets the thumbs up! Knee is sore but as I know what it is I have been doing the appropriate stretches - Step back week next week so will get to recover fully I hope.

If it wasn't for The Wexican's Garmin I wouldn't have been aware of the mileage;)

I hope to see a few more of ye over the next few weeks.

Excuse my ignorance but are jelly babies actually jelly babies or some brand of something else?:o

• Advertisement

They're actual jelly babies.

Advertisement