Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Early in the week I know and some of you are racing this weekend but for those of you interested in running Sat morning in a group (10 miles for me) - See you at 9am Knockmaroon gate.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|3|12.1|93.2|In with Physio with sore knee so had rest up and skip LSR this week|
    The Wexican|||101||
    rofno1|4|27|141|13.1 LSR, looking forward to 10 mile race as step back next week.|
    boccy23|4|27|144|Feeling good at the half way point of trianing schedule. Week off worked a treat and body is now fine.|
    brophya2007|4|24.5|173.3|13 mile lsr done but with a struggle. Looking forward to the "step back" week.|
    beamgirl|||114||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|29.1|231|stepback week was nice, 10 mile race this week and 20 mile LSR the next :eek:|
    littlebug|5|29.2|194.2|happy with 13.1 lsr |
    meathcountysec|||276.08||
    DigiJem|||161||
    D Chief|||113||
    digger2d2|4|30|208|Good week, all on schedule|
    Shazkea|||-||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |4|31|190|This was step back week for me-I must have needed it as I felt each of the 4 runs tough last week. 17m LSR planned for this week|
    James Howlett|4|36|215|Miscalculated my LSR and did 16.25 instead of 17. At this stage the thoughts of doing longer distances scares me. Also doing Frank Duffy.|
    RallyRunner|||128.5||
    corked|||130.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|||149||
    RubyK|5|43.3|204.3|LSR of 19.5 miles on Saturday am. Longest run yet and took just under 3 hrs. Stomach queasy for a lot of the run. Not sure gels agree with me|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|6|23|73|Happy with 14 miles done last Tuesday, 2h05m, rest of week not much done 6 & 3 miles, hungover yesterday and triathlon Sat.|
    Mrslow|3|20|68.25|13.5 mile LSR done (missed my midweek 6 mile:mad:, my groin started giving trouble at mile 10 so I'm gonna have to get into a serious stretching routine, running with others makes a huge difference and the good news is that my knee feels great today:D|
    marrona|||199.32||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Originally Posted by rofno1 viewpost.gif
    How many of us are doing Frank Duffy 10 nile on Saturday?

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm doing it - aiming for under 85 minutes to stay on track for sub-4 in the marathon.

Yeah, I'm doing it too...Going to start with 8:30 min miles for the first 6/7 and see if I feel like finishing off with a few 8 min/miles...Not going to push myself too hard here as it's meant to be a step-back week for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

Hey Everyone!

Just noticed this thread, any chance I can join in?

As a non runner, in fact I hate running, I decided to set myself a challenge in an effort to raise money for Crumlins Children's Hospital. I am doing the following;

1) Gael Force West (65km This Saturday!!!)
    2) Mount Kilimanjaro - September 16th
    3) Chicago Marathon - October 10th
    4) Dublin Marathon - October 25th.

My running history - I ran the Bupa 10km in 2005. Thats it.

I have been training and I did my biggest run to date, yesterday. I ran 23km (14.26m) in 2 hours and 6 mins. It was seriously tough and it was really really hot out!

I think I am actually going to be able to achieve all of the events so its starting to become a good feeling although I am really nervous about the marathons.

Great to see a group of others doing it too!

Mike

edit/ see people are listing the other training - did 10km at lunch on Friday in Marlay Park with the dog in about 48 mins, the rest of the week I did nothing as I think I had started to burn out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sure, join in.
    You should try to get your long runs done early in the day, if you can. You avoid the heat, and it's better practice for the day - Dublin starts at 9am.

• Advertisement

Sure, join in.
    You should try to get your long runs done early in the day, if you can. You avoid the heat, and it's better practice for the day - Dublin starts at 9am.

Thanks! Thats a good idea. I ran it at around 4pm as I wanted a lie in and then it was just too hot when I woke up!

mprop wrote: »
    Hey Everyone!

Just noticed this thread, any chance I can join in?

As a non runner, in fact I hate running, I decided to set myself a challenge in an effort to raise money for Crumlins Children's Hospital. I am doing the following;

1) Gael Force West (65km This Saturday!!!)
    2) Mount Kilimanjaro - September 16th
    3) Chicago Marathon - October 10th
    4) Dublin Marathon - October 25th.

My running history - I ran the Bupa 10km in 2005. Thats it.

I have been training and I did my biggest run to date, yesterday. I ran 23km (14.26m) in 2 hours and 6 mins. It was seriously tough and it was really really hot out!

I think I am actually going to be able to achieve all of the events so its starting to become a good feeling although I am really nervous about the marathons.

Great to see a group of others doing it too!

Mike

edit/ see people are listing the other training - did 10km at lunch on Friday in Marlay Park with the dog in about 48 mins, the rest of the week I did nothing as I think I had started to burn out!

Sounds like you're nuts, you'll fit right in!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

William72|3|12.1|93.2|In with Physio with sore knee so had rest up and skip LSR this week|
    The Wexican|||101||
    rofno1|4|27|141|13.1 LSR, looking forward to 10 mile race as step back next week.|
    boccy23|4|27|144|Feeling good at the half way point of trianing schedule. Week off worked a treat and body is now fine.|
    brophya2007|4|24.5|173.3|13 mile lsr done but with a struggle. Looking forward to the "step back" week.|
    beamgirl|||114||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|29.1|231|stepback week was nice, 10 mile race this week and 20 mile LSR the next :eek:|
    DigiJem|||161||
    D Chief|||113||
    Curl52|||||
    ilovetorun |4|31|190|This was step back week for me-I must have needed it as I felt each of the 4 runs tough last week. 17m LSR planned for this week|
    James Howlett|4|36|215|Miscalculated my LSR and did 16.25 instead of 17. At this stage the thoughts of doing longer distances scares me. Also doing Frank Duffy.|
    RallyRunner|||128.5||
    corked|||130.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|||149||
    RubyK|5|43.3|204.3|LSR of 19.5 miles on Saturday am. Longest run yet and took just under 3 hrs. Stomach queasy for a lot of the run. Not sure gels agree with me|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|6|23|73|Happy with 14 miles done last Tuesday, 2h05m, rest of week not much done 6 & 3 miles, hungover yesterday and triathlon Sat.|
    Mrslow|3|20|68.25|13.5 mile LSR done (missed my midweek 6 mile:mad:, my groin started giving trouble at mile 10 so I'm gonna have to get into a serious stretching routine, running with others makes a huge difference and the good news is that my knee feels great today:D|
    marrona|||199.32||

Removing my name from table. Still out with injury and will be for at least another week so 4 weeks not running is not ideal prep for the DCM!! Might still do it but def not at 4:30 time

Best of luck to everyone on the thread and I'll be watching the progress.

shazkea wrote: »
    The Wexican|||101||
    beamgirl|||114||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||161||
    D Chief|||113||
    Curl52|||||
    RallyRunner|||128.5||
    corked|||130.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|||149||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||199.32||

Removing my name from table. Still out with injury and will be for at least another week so 4 weeks not running is not ideal prep for the DCM!! Might still do it but def not at 4:30 time

Don't be rash Shazkea, having your name on the table won't hurt - might even help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Ah thats tough Shazkea but fingers crossed that your injury heals well and in good time to still compete in the marathon

• Advertisement

Welcome aboard mprop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Welcome aboard mprop :)

x2

P.S. Your doing your runs roughly same times as me...cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Can I ask what some of the first timers are doing weekly now and what your LSR was the weekend just gone. Trying to make a decision myself.

JEmily wrote: »
    x2

P.S. Your doing your runs roughly same times as me...cool!

Nice! What time are you hoping to complete it in? Are you running by yourself?

I am, biggest enemy is my head screaming "I hate this, I'm so bored, B.O.R.E.D" on the big runs! I have the dog for the smaller ones so she keeps me company!

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Can I ask what some of the first timers are doing weekly now and what your LSR was the weekend just gone. Trying to make a decision myself.

This week is a step back so 24 miles in total including a 10 mile LSR, next week is 29 miles with a 15 mile LSR

Around 30 miles a week. Last week's LSR was short, 12 miles, the weeks before were 17 and 18. (I modified a plan to get 3 x 20 mile LSRs in)

mrprop - get yourself an mp3 player and listen to podcasts on the way

Nice! What time are you hoping to complete it in? Are you running by yourself?

I am, biggest enemy is my head screaming "I hate this, I'm so bored, B.O.R.E.D" on the big runs! I have the dog for the smaller ones so she keeps me company!

We're starting to organise meet ups for LSR's in the Phoenix park on Saturday mornings, you're welcome to join in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

mrslow wrote: »
    Don't be rash Shazkea, having your name on the table won't hurt - might even help:)

Cheers but actually having my name on the table and seeing it empty for the past few weeks is really p***ing me off. So will remove it for now and when I get back up on the mileage, I may add it back in. Will keep up my log though so feel free to fill that with motivational posts :D. Will hopefully be joining ye at some stage in park for those runs on Sat morn.

Cheers but actually having my name on the table and seeing it empty for the past few weeks is really p***ing me off. So will remove it for now and when I get back up on the mileage, I may add it back in. Will keep up my log though so feel free to fill that with motivational posts :D. Will hopefully be joining ye at some stage in park for those runs on Sat morn.

You'll be there - gan Dabht!;)

Around 30 miles a week. Last week's LSR was short, 12 miles, the weeks before were 17 and 18. (I modified a plan to get 3 x 20 mile LSRs in)

mrprop - get yourself an mp3 player and listen to podcasts on the way

Em RayCun, is this your first DCM? If it is i give up, your absolutely flying, your times are brill. And the length of your LSR already

P.S. For mrprop, it's my first DCM, marathon, mini marathon, 5 miler, 10 miler etc. EVER. I'm on this plan and it's fantastic. Same as what mrslow said he's doing.
    PPS. You also need the lingo for here, which i hadn't a clue of: LSR (long slow jog) - normally on the weekend, PMP (planned marathon pace) - slightly quicker than LSR. That should get you started.

• Advertisement

Em RayCun, is this your first DCM? If it is i give up, your absolutely flying, your times are brill. And the length of your LSR already

P.S. For mrprop, it's my first DCM, marathon, mini marathon, 5 miler, 10 miler etc. EVER. I'm on this plan and it's fantastic. Same as what mrslow said he's doing.
    PPS. You also need the lingo for here, which i hadn't a clue of: LSR (long slow jog) - normally on the weekend, PMP (planned marathon pace) - slightly quicker than LSR. That should get you started.

If LSR is Long Slow Jog then I'm jogging the marathon:D kinda takes the oomph out of it though:(

mrslow wrote: »
    If LSR is Long Slow Jog then I'm jogging the marathon:D kinda takes the oomph out of it though:(

Oops, although i think i've altered that to suit me! Ha. Jogging is the way forward.

And no i'm not going any faster, jogging is my running...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Last weeks LSR was 13, this weekend coming is 10 and then 15 the week after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

The Wexican|||101||
    beamgirl|||114||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||161||
    D Chief|||113||
    Curl52|||||
    RallyRunner|||128.5||
    corked|||130.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|4|27|176|14 mile LSR. 2 hours even. Really happy with the runs but my legs were glad of the morning off this morning|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||199.32||

If I run the Frank Duffy 10 mile run on Saturday as fast as I can (instead of as a LSR), will it have a negative effect on my marathon training next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's my 2nd, but my training has been very heavily affected by the fact that I'm trying to write my masters thesis at the same time so I'm roughly following a novice plan. Trying to get in about 30mpw at the moment, and ran just over 14 miles on Saturday. Should have been at 15-17 mile LSR and pushing 40mpw by now. Stupid thesis.

I am the exact same! My confidence is atrocious but with each run I try my hardest to stay as positive as I can
    My LSR this week will be 17 miles ( last week was step back week so it was 11 miles) and I am running roughly 30 miles a week

Thanks! Yes, started running last September, so first 10 mile race on Saturday, first half-marathon next month, and first 26.2 miles a month later.

Change of plan, I'm gonna run my LSR on Sunday morning so as not to clash with ten mile race, all interested say Aye;)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

The Wexican|||101||
    beamgirl|4|25|139|13 mile LSR nearly killed me, had company for last 6 miles dont know if i woulld have done it without it - think i need to eat before these longer runs|
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||161||
    D Chief|||113||
    Curl52|||||
    RallyRunner|||128.5||
    corked|||130.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|4|27|176|14 mile LSR. 2 hours even. Really happy with the runs but my legs were glad of the morning off this morning|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||199.32||

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

beamgirl wrote: »
    The Wexican|||101||
    beamgirl|4|25|139|13 mile LSR nearly killed me, had company for last 6 miles dont know if i woulld have done it without it - think i need to eat before these longer runs|
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||161||
    D Chief|||113||
    Curl52|4|34|324|Got up to 15miles on my LSR, still hard to imagine doing the full 26 but feel like I'm on the right track. Looking forward to Frank Duffy race next week but feel my times have slowed down lately with the LSR.|
    RallyRunner|||128.5||
    corked|||130.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||199.32||

Advertisement