Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Hi,

I'd like to join in this effort if its ok. Looking at the tables and other runners information. I think im at about where i should be. My LSR on saturday was 13 miles.

For the table. The miles to date.... is that this year or specifically for the marathon training?

Good luck all!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

2 Half marathons this year

Connermara (April) - 2h5m
    Kildare (May) -2h1m

This would be my first marathon

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?

Sometimes i have to slow down to walk a little but its the exception rather then the norm. Towards the end of a long run (Over 10 miles) i find i might have to give myself a 30second/1minute walk break)

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant

3-4 Days and its been about 20miles+ a week but that does vary. I started back into proper training about 6 weeks ago.

I also cycle a bit. I can cycle a lot more then i am doing but i find myself with a bit of an exercise "hangover" the next morning after i do a run and use it as an excuse not to cycle into work.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

Dream would be sub 4.

Realistic. Sub 4h30

How many days a week can you train?

3 -5.

Why are you running this marathon?

A promise i made to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Agent J wrote: »
    Hi,

I'd like to join in this effort if its ok. Looking at the tables and other runners information. I think im at about where i should be. My LSR on saturday was 13 miles.

For the table. The miles to date.... is that this year or specifically for the marathon training?

Good luck all!

2 Half marathons this year

Connermara (April) - 2h5m
    Kildare (May) -2h1m

Sometimes i have to slow down to walk a little but its the exception rather then the norm. Towards the end of a long run (Over 10 miles) i find i might have to give myself a 30second/1minute walk break)

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant

3-4 Days and its been about 20miles+ a week but that does vary. I started back into proper training about 6 weeks ago.

I also cycle a bit. I can cycle a lot more then i am doing but i find myself with a bit of an exercise "hangover" the next morning after i do a run and use it as an excuse not to cycle into work.

Dream would be sub 4.

Realistic. Sub 4h30

3 -5.

A promise i made to myself.

Welcome aboard, miles to date is this year for some and since you decided to run DCM for others like myself.

We're generally following the Hal Higdon Novice plans. If you're based in Dublin some of us meet up in the Phoenix park for the LSR's makes the mileage a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|3|12.1|93.2|In with Physio with sore knee so had rest up and skip LSR this week|
    The Wexican|||101||
    rofno1|4|27|141|13.1 LSR, looking forward to 10 mile race as step back next week.|
    boccy23|4|27|144|Feeling good at the half way point of trianing schedule. Week off worked a treat and body is now fine.|
    brophya2007|4|24.5|173.3|13 mile lsr done but with a struggle. Looking forward to the "step back" week.|
    beamgirl|4|25|139|13 mile LSR nearly killed me, had company for last 6 miles dont know if i woulld have done it without it - think i need to eat before these longer runs|
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|29.1|231|stepback week was nice, 10 mile race this week and 20 mile LSR the next :eek:|
    littlebug|5|29.2|194.2|happy with 13.1 lsr |
    meathcountysec|||276.08||
    DigiJem|||161||
    D Chief|||113||
    digger2d2|4|30|208|Good week, all on schedule|
    Curl52|4|34|324|Got up to 15miles on my LSR, still hard to imagine doing the full 26 but feel like I'm on the right track. Looking forward to Frank Duffy race next week but feel my times have slowed down lately with the LSR.|
    ilovetorun |4|31|190|This was step back week for me-I must have needed it as I felt each of the 4 runs tough last week. 17m LSR planned for this week|
    James Howlett|4|36|215|Miscalculated my LSR and did 16.25 instead of 17. At this stage the thoughts of doing longer distances scares me. Also doing Frank Duffy.|
    RallyRunner|||128.5||
    corked|4|30|160.5|Did the clonmel half (14.5miles) @2hr11 - hate the heat|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|4|27|176|14 mile LSR. 2 hours even. Really happy with the runs but my legs were glad of the morning off this morning|
    RubyK|5|43.3|204.3|LSR of 19.5 miles on Saturday am. Longest run yet and took just under 3 hrs. Stomach queasy for a lot of the run. Not sure gels agree with me|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|6|23|73|Happy with 14 miles done last Tuesday, 2h05m, rest of week not much done 6 & 3 miles, hungover yesterday and triathlon Sat.|
    Mrslow|3|20|68.25|13.5 mile LSR done (missed my midweek 6 mile:mad:, my groin started giving trouble at mile 10 so I'm gonna have to get into a serious stretching routine, running with others makes a huge difference and the good news is that my knee feels great today:D|
    marrona|||199.32||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

William72|3|12.1|93.2|In with Physio with sore knee so had rest up and skip LSR this week|
    The Wexican|||101||
    rofno1|4|27|141|13.1 LSR, looking forward to 10 mile race as step back next week.|
    boccy23|4|27|144|Feeling good at the half way point of trianing schedule. Week off worked a treat and body is now fine.|
    brophya2007|4|24.5|173.3|13 mile lsr done but with a struggle. Looking forward to the "step back" week.|
    beamgirl|4|25|139|13 mile LSR nearly killed me, had company for last 6 miles dont know if i woulld have done it without it - think i need to eat before these longer runs|
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|29.1|231|stepback week was nice, 10 mile race this week and 20 mile LSR the next :eek:|
    DigiJem|||161||
    D Chief|||113||
    Curl52|4|34|324|Got up to 15miles on my LSR, still hard to imagine doing the full 26 but feel like I'm on the right track. Looking forward to Frank Duffy race next week but feel my times have slowed down lately with the LSR.|
    ilovetorun |4|31|190|This was step back week for me-I must have needed it as I felt each of the 4 runs tough last week. 17m LSR planned for this week|
    James Howlett|4|36|215|Miscalculated my LSR and did 16.25 instead of 17. At this stage the thoughts of doing longer distances scares me. Also doing Frank Duffy.|
    RallyRunner|4|27.5|156|Did the lsr at lunchtime on Saturday, now that was a genius decision. Definitely have to get out of the scratcher earlier.|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|4|27|176|14 mile LSR. 2 hours even. Really happy with the runs but my legs were glad of the morning off this morning|
    RubyK|5|43.3|204.3|LSR of 19.5 miles on Saturday am. Longest run yet and took just under 3 hrs. Stomach queasy for a lot of the run. Not sure gels agree with me|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|6|23|73|Happy with 14 miles done last Tuesday, 2h05m, rest of week not much done 6 & 3 miles, hungover yesterday and triathlon Sat.|
    Mrslow|3|20|68.25|13.5 mile LSR done (missed my midweek 6 mile:mad:, my groin started giving trouble at mile 10 so I'm gonna have to get into a serious stretching routine, running with others makes a huge difference and the good news is that my knee feels great today:D|
    marrona|||199.32||

I'm on for the Frank Duffy 10 mile this weekend too. Good luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

The Wexican|||101||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||161||
    D Chief|3|24|137|Missed out on second short run last week, but happy with 14.6 LSR on Sunday. I was in Nenagh for the weekend and got a bit lost at the end of my intended 13 miles, so did a bit extra.|
    RallyRunner|4|27.5|156|Did the lsr at lunchtime on Saturday, now that was a genius decision. Definitely have to get out of the scratcher earlier.|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||199.32||

Did my long run/jog around Nenagh on Sunday morning. I normally run in West Dublin, so it was great to be out running in the countryside on a fine morning. I was pleased with how I kept on towards the end of my 14.6 miles. Was way better than the agonised shuffle I finished with in Kildare half marathon in May.
    One problem was I had real sore nips for the first time. Will have to do something about that.
    I will miss the 10 mile race in the Park next weekend and with the Dubs in the All-Ireland semi I will probably have to leave long run until Monday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

The Wexican|||101||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||161||
    D Chief|3|24|137|Missed out on second short run last week, but happy with 14.6 LSR on Sunday. I was in Nenagh for the weekend and got a bit lost at the end of my intended 13 miles, so did a bit extra.|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    RubyK|1|6.05|210.35|Happy enough with progress so far. Touch wood all will go to plan for the remaining 10 weeks :eek:|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||199.32||

D Chief, the guys on the main part of the forum have mentioned some kind of tape that should do the trick for you. Better get it sorted now rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Micropore tape.
    Not as sticky as plasters, but sticky enough to stay on for your run.
    You'll find it in any chemist, beside the platsers and bandages.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Welcome to the asylum AgentJ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

RayCun wrote: »
    Thanks! Yes, started running last September, so first 10 mile race on Saturday, first half-marathon next month, and first 26.2 miles a month later.

Good luck on Saturday, you'll fly. I'm soo jealous...you must have legs of steel;)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

The Wexican|6|16|117|I have only managed two runs and 16 milesthe past two weeks, hoping to get things back on track this week|
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|||161||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    RubyK|1|6.05|210.35|Happy enough with progress so far. Touch wood all will go to plan for the remaining 10 weeks :eek:|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||199.32||

I've lost faith in the physio, as my original ankle strain, is now a calf strain, and I feel if i went back again, it would be something else. I would have been better off just icing it in the evening.

Have to ramp things up in the next week or so to get back on track. My longest run to date is 14 miles, so I will try to do this as my LSR at the weekend, despite this being a step back week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

Hoping to promote a charity event this week...

I introduced myself on the last page, I am running Dublin (Chicago, GFW & Mount Kilimanjaro) in aid of Crumlin Hospital for Sick Children.

I have a fundraiser on in Kielys of Donnybrook this Thursday at 7:30, a Table Quiz, is there any chance of getting one or two Boards Marathon Novice Tables together? Its €10 a head with 4 to a table, loads of prizes being raffled off too....

Cheers,

Mike

p.s. played soccer to unwind after my 23km on Sunday, legs are stiff as boards(planks not boards.ie) today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

The Wexican|6|16|117|I have only managed two runs and 16 milesthe past two weeks, hoping to get things back on track this week|
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|4|25|186|13 mile lsr done, went well. Looking forward to the 10 mile race next Sat.|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||199.32||

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

brophya2007|4|26.5|175.3|13 mile lsr done but with a struggle. Looking forward to the "step back" week.|
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    DigiJem|4|25|186|13 mile lsr done, went well. Looking forward to the 10 mile race next Sat.|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||199.32||

Just updated my mileage - it appears all this running seems to have ruined my ability to add numbers.

Just updated my mileage - it appears all this running seems to have ruined my ability to add numbers.

Ha, it's ruined my ability to do anything but focus on running.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Hi all,

A bit like Agent J I'd like to come on board as well if thats ok. In my 50th year (obviously going through a mid life crisis!) I decided if I don't have a crack at running my first marathon now I might not be able to give it a lash in the years ahead. Anyway started out towards the end of January and have had a couple of setbacks with calf problems at different stages. Have been to the physio and have some good stretching exercises to do, but still liable to crop up, so fingers crossed to some extent. Haven't a clue what level of mileage I have done to date, but ran the Tulfarris 10 miles a couple of weeks ago and did a 2 hour LSR last weekend, which would have been somewhere between 12-14 miles. All going according to plan hope to run the Longford half on Sunday week and the Athlone 3/4 in early October. I sort of laugh at the LSR concept, all my runs are fairly slow, just a question of how far I go on each one!

Good luck to all and might go to some of these runs in the park. I'm living in Santry anyone out there from my neck of the woods?

I think I ran a half marathon yonks ago, no idea of time etc.
    10 miles at Tulfarris just under 92 mins

No

Up to at least 4 a week at this stage, minimum 3.5 miles, last LSR as above, at this stage would probably be looking at at least 25 miles a week. No other training really.

Really just want to do it, 4 hours would be best result I think, 4.5h probably more realistic, if I get to Athlone and live to tell the tale I'll have a better idea at that stage

3 -5.

Just to have another thing ticked off my to do list, only another couple of hundred to go!

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    Hi all,

A bit like Agent J I'd like to come on board as well if thats ok. In my 50th year (obviously going through a mid life crisis!) I decided if I don't have a crack at running my first marathon now I might not be able to give it a lash in the years ahead. Anyway started out towards the end of January and have had a couple of setbacks with calf problems at different stages. Have been to the physio and have some good stretching exercises to do, but still liable to crop up, so fingers crossed to some extent. Haven't a clue what level of mileage I have done to date, but ran the Tulfarris 10 miles a couple of weeks ago and did a 2 hour LSR last weekend, which would have been somewhere between 12-14 miles. All going according to plan hope to run the Longford half on Sunday week and the Athlone 3/4 in early October. I sort of laugh at the LSR concept, all my runs are fairly slow, just a question of how far I go on each one!

Good luck to all and might go to some of these runs in the park. I'm living in Santry anyone out there from my neck of the woods?

No

Up to at least 4 a week at this stage, minimum 3.5 miles, last LSR as above, at this stage would probably be looking at at least 25 miles a week. No other training really.

Really just want to do it, 4 hours would be best result I think, 4.5h probably more realistic, if I get to Athlone and live to tell the tale I'll have a better idea at that stage

3 -5.

Just to have another thing ticked off my to do list, only another couple of hundred to go!

Welcome aboard, are you following a plan? Most of us are following Hal Higdon's Novice plan.

Look forward to seeing you in the park in the next few weeks!

I've been thinking a mass run for the 20 mile LSR would be epic and pretty cool if we all reached it together. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Nope, I did a 10km back in 2005 which I did in 54 mins. I have done a few 10k's this year since starting training and I am currently running at 48mins. I did the connemara challenege earlier this year which was 32km of running cycling and kyaking. Doing Gael Force West on Saturday!
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    Yeah I stop at a half way point and stroll for 30 seconds or so, is that bad?
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    I was traininig 9 times a week :eek: but I started to burn out and had to stop! Currently doing 10km Monday, Rest Tues, 16km intervals Weds, Thurs rest, 10km Friday intervals, 10km regular pace, 23km Sunday.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    4hrs 30 mins goal, 3hrs 55min realistic. I'm doing Chicago marathon before Dublina nd its a flatter course so I hope to sub 4hrs in Chicago!
    • How many days a week can you train?
    5 days, down from 6 days a few weeks ago
    • Why are you running this marathon?
    I got a bit depressed after 2009 and decided there was more to life than worrying about my own situation and decided to focus on others. I am running the marathons to raise money for the renovation of St Johns Ward in Crumlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Welcome aboard Lad GAGA and mprop.
    As mrslow said most of us are following a Hal Higdons Novice plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

just a cpl tips i picked up this week from my physio that i thought i'd share:

if u drive to your runs then use a hot water bottle under your hamstrings to warm them up - makes it quicker to warm up.

I brought a pack of ice blocks (used in cooling boxes) for €2.00 in a pound shop - they are re-useable and great for ice down after a long run. Also picked up a pack of frozen peas to use for ice down. sat on the couch sunday after the clonmel race with the packs under my hamstring and then peas on the knees - worked well!

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    Hi all,

No

3 -5.

Welcome to our club Lad GAGA :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Welcome aboard Lad GAGA and mprop :D I've found the support and info here to be invaluble, and can't imagine getting through this training without it.

Best of luck, and happy injury free training to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Welcome on board newcomers. You won't look back after joining here, i haven't.

Can i just ask everyone what supplements they are taking. I've started taking Glucosamine, think it will be fab for my joints. Other than that nothing else, but am interested to see what you all taking on a daily basis or nothing at all.

I swear by a blend of Glucosamine And Chondroitin, the Glucosamine is great for cartilage repair and the Chondroitin is meant to aid elasticity of the cartilage.
    I also take cod liver oil every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I take nothing. Pure running, man, like in the stone age.

(They did have Garmins, gels, dri-fit and BodyGlide, right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

JEmily wrote: »
    Can i just ask everyone what supplements they are taking.
    Unless you count consuming my weight in caffeine every day, nothing. I probably should take at least a multivitamin or something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

brophya2007|4|26.5|175.3|13 mile lsr done but with a struggle. Looking forward to the "step back" week.|
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    meathcountysec|5|36.46|312.54|Had a shocker of a LSR. Lesson learnt|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||199.32||

JEmily wrote: »
    Welcome on board newcomers. You won't look back after joining here, i haven't.

Can i just ask everyone what supplements they are taking. I've started taking Glucosamine, think it will be fab for my joints. Other than that nothing else, but am interested to see what you all taking on a daily basis or nothing at all.

I take Berocca in the morning with high strength Cod Liver Oil, What's Glucosamine???

Had a shocker of a LSR. Lesson learnt

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

mrslow wrote: »
    What happened?

Not to bother everybody with the gruesome details..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055809270&page=14

• Advertisement

Not to bother everybody with the gruesome details..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055809270&page=14

Could have been worse though, at least it wasn't race day

Advertisement