Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

RayCun wrote: »
    I take nothing. Pure running, man, like in the stone age.

Just like myself; water and ambition.
    All you need for a winning combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Just like myself; water and ambition.
    All you need for a winning combination.

I wish I were a real man too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

mrslow wrote: »
    I take Berocca in the morning with high strength Cod Liver Oil, What's Glucosamine???

I'm taking Berocca's now every morning to help keep this cold at bay. They are brilliant for that!

Glucosamine is a joint supplement to keep your joint cartillage in peak condition. Supposedly alot of RUNNERS take it. If it helps my crappy joints i'm all for it...
    Holland & Barrett seem to be the cheapest i've seen them...the one's i have are tablet form.

After that that's all i'm taking, from there it's the blood and guts that will see me to the end:)

JEmily wrote: »
    I'm taking Berocca's now every morning to help keep this cold at bay. They are brilliant for that!

Glucosamine is a joint supplement to keep your joint cartillage in peak condition. Supposedly alot of RUNNERS take it. If it helps my crappy joints i'm all for it...
    Holland & Barrett seem to be the cheapest i've seen them...the one's i have are tablet form.

After that that's all i'm taking, from there it's the blood and guts that will see me to the end:)

Will have to check that out;) Is there any other supplement worth looking at?

Ray/James: I find when I'm running water just doesn't blow my skirt up I need Lucosade sport or the like for the sugar. Is it not true you can lose too much salt/sugar if you take too much water over an extended period of exercise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ray/James: I find when I'm running water just doesn't blow my skirt up I need Lucosade sport or the like for the sugar. Is it not true you can lose too much salt/sugar if you take too much water over an extended period of exercise?

I was joking about the caveman thing, I use gels on long runs.

The salt helps you absorb and retain water, afaik. I think sugar is only an issue for people with specific medical conditions (eg diabetes) but you will run out of glycogen as you run further, and this is when you hit the wall. Glycogen is from carbohydrates, and sugar is a simple, quickly absorbed carbohydrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I was joking about the caveman thing, I use gels on long runs.

(shakes head in disappointment, picks up club and goes off to hunt dinner)

Will have to check that out;) Is there any other supplement worth looking at?

Nope, if you have a good healthy diet you are fine after that IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|3|12.1|93.2|In with Physio with sore knee so had rest up and skip LSR this week|
    The Wexican|6|16|117|I have only managed two runs and 16 milesthe past two weeks, hoping to get things back on track this week|
    rofno1|4|27|141|13.1 LSR, looking forward to 10 mile race as step back next week.|
    boccy23|4|27|144|Feeling good at the half way point of trianing schedule. Week off worked a treat and body is now fine.|
    brophya2007|4|26.5|175.3|13 mile lsr done but with a struggle. Looking forward to the "step back" week.|
    beamgirl|4|25|139|13 mile LSR nearly killed me, had company for last 6 miles dont know if i woulld have done it without it - think i need to eat before these longer runs|
    michellemuncher|||128||
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|29.1|231|stepback week was nice, 10 mile race this week and 20 mile LSR the next :eek:|
    littlebug|5|29.2|194.2|happy with 13.1 lsr |
    meathcountysec|5|36.46|312.54|Had a shocker of a LSR. Lesson learnt|
    DigiJem|4|25|186|13 mile lsr done, went well. Looking forward to the 10 mile race next Sat.|
    D Chief|3|24|137|Missed out on second short run last week, but happy with 14.6 LSR on Sunday. I was in Nenagh for the weekend and got a bit lost at the end of my intended 13 miles, so did a bit extra.|
    digger2d2|4|30|208|Good week, all on schedule|
    Curl52|4|34|324|Got up to 15miles on my LSR, still hard to imagine doing the full 26 but feel like I'm on the right track. Looking forward to Frank Duffy race next week but feel my times have slowed down lately with the LSR.|
    ilovetorun |4|31|190|This was step back week for me-I must have needed it as I felt each of the 4 runs tough last week. 17m LSR planned for this week|
    James Howlett|4|36|215|Miscalculated my LSR and did 16.25 instead of 17. At this stage the thoughts of doing longer distances scares me. Also doing Frank Duffy.|
    RallyRunner|4|27.5|156|Did the lsr at lunchtime on Saturday, now that was a genius decision. Definitely have to get out of the scratcher earlier.|
    corked|4|30|160.5|Did the clonmel half (14.5miles) @2hr11 - hate the heat|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|4|27|176|14 mile LSR. 2 hours even. Really happy with the runs but my legs were glad of the morning off this morning|
    RubyK|1|6.05|210.35|Happy enough with progress so far. Touch wood all will go to plan for the remaining 10 weeks :eek:|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|6|23|73|Happy with 14 miles done last Tuesday, 2h05m, rest of week not much done 6 & 3 miles, hungover yesterday and triathlon Sat.|
    Mrslow|3|20|68.25|13.5 mile LSR done (missed my midweek 6 mile:mad:, my groin started giving trouble at mile 10 so I'm gonna have to get into a serious stretching routine, running with others makes a huge difference and the good news is that my knee feels great today:D|
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|1|10|99|Typical as soon as i add my name to this list. I catch a cold..|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

I was due to take another run this evening but i've come down with a cold and plan to take the next 24 hours off the clock.

Anyone else here using a nike+ on their ipod? Before i never would have touched an apple product but i have to say i have found this really really helpfull with my runs

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Went for my LSR of 17m last night-found the last 2 miles really really tough. Anyway I read on the A/R/T forum yesterday that an iced cold bath is great for the muscles after an LSR...well I lasted about 10 secs in the bath :D There was no way I was gonna manage a few minutes never mind 10/15 mins!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Went for my LSR of 17m last night-found the last 2 miles really really tough. Anyway I read on the A/R/T forum yesterday that an iced cold bath is great for the muscles after an LSR...well I lasted about 10 secs in the bath :D There was no way I was gonna manage a few minutes never mind 10/15 mins!!

eughhh, even the idea of that is torture! Did you just throw some ice cubes into cold water?

Has anyone any advice on summpliments you could take to avoid joint pains? My foot lands wierd (kinda swings around in front of me rather than the usual hell to toe action) and it is causing shin splints and a pain in the joint in my knee.

I have been with the physio etc and she has thought me how to tape it but I was thinking that a summpliment might help as it could get bad between the two marathons...

Thanks

You should try to fix your stride. Glucosamine is the 'joints supplement', but its unproven. And you should be trying to fix the problem rather than treat the symptoms.

mprop wrote: »
    eughhh, even the idea of that is torture! Did you just throw some ice cubes into cold water?

Has anyone any advice on summpliments you could take to avoid joint pains? My foot lands wierd (kinda swings around in front of me rather than the usual hell to toe action) and it is causing shin splints and a pain in the joint in my knee.

I have been with the physio etc and she has thought me how to tape it but I was thinking that a summpliment might help as it could get bad between the two marathons...

Thanks

Hell on earth is how I would have described it :)

Regarding supplements, I'm not sure about supplements specific for shin splints but I take glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, they are meant to help repair damaged cartilage and keep it resilient. You can get them in Tesco's/Health food shops. I have always taken cod liver oil as well.

You should try to fix your stride. Glucosamine is the 'joints supplement', but its unproven. And you should be trying to fix the problem rather than treat the symptoms.

Thanks. I have worked on that but I stopped, my brother has the same problem, he has run a marathon before and suffered with shin splints afterwards.

He spent a few weeks this summer trying to fix his stride and damaged his knees as a result. I'm not willing to make a major change at this point. I have come to the realisation that I will come out of this with an injury, I'm just hoping its not one thats too serious as I have my eyes set on another competition next year.

I have glucosomine, its actually a bit out of date! Will try it anyway and hopefully I dont turn green.

Thanks

Have you had your gait analysed?

Have you had your gait analysed?

Yes in Anphibianking in Bray. Said I had very little (I forget the word) movement and I didnt need too much support. Its when I get tired thats the problem, after about 8km my right foot starts to swing rather than just land right.

Yes in Anphibianking in Bray. Said I had very little (I forget the word) movement and I didnt need too much support. Its when I get tired thats the problem, after about 8km my right foot starts to swing rather than just land right.

Try looping your laces - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA1rtonBmII

I find it very effective!

Try looping your laces - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA1rtonBmII

I find it very effective!

Why would you loop your laces? Is it not just so they are more secure and don't open?

Tuesday I ran 3 miles in 22 minutes - no issues:D. Last night myself and The Wexican did 7 x 9 min miles and I stopped at 6 to stretch my groin only to find my knee start to pinch:eek:, by the time I got home I was back in pain city:mad: - really thought I was over this because my 13.5 on Saturday was no problem, my eyes are watering from the 'deep heat' and I'm going to have to at least push out my 4 miler until tomorrow.

Not a happy camper.

JEmily wrote: »
    Why would you loop your laces? Is it not just so they are more secure and don't open?

I find it makes your feet behave the way they should, I've eliminated my next morning ankle pain by doing it.

• Advertisement

I've got one foot slightly bigger than the other. I loop my laces so that the smaller foot doesn't move as much in the shoe - it keeps the shoe tighter around the ankle area.

Tuesday I ran 3 miles in 22 minutes - no issues:D. Last night myself and The Wexican did 7 x 9 min miles and I stopped at 6 to stretch my groin only to find my knee start to pinch:eek:, by the time I got home I was back in pain city:mad: - really thought I was over this because my 13.5 on Saturday was no problem, my eyes are watering from the 'deep heat' and I'm going to have to at least push out my 4 miler until tomorrow.

Not a happy camper.

Fcek it anyway- thats so frustrating but at least you know you should rest it and leave out your 4 miler tomorrow and see how it goes on Sunday? Fingers crossed for you

The 4 milers are supposed to be active recovery, as far as I know. Probably no harm in dropping one altogether, if 'passive recovery' is what's called for.

The 4 milers are supposed to be active recovery, as far as I know. Probably no harm in dropping one altogether, if 'passive recovery' is what's called for.

Thanks Ray I'm just a bit disappointed because I was sure I was back to normal, it felt strong for most of the run last night at times I felt like I could push faster and harder and even though I didn't.
    ilovetorun wrote: »
    Fcek it anyway- thats so frustrating but at least you know you should rest it and leave out your 4 miler tomorrow and see how it goes on Sunday? Fingers crossed for you

Thanks ilovetorun, have also been on to Mizuno HQ to see what the difference is between the 2 recent generations of runners to see if my issue may lie there, was wearing my newer ones for both runs but they are the previous generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow, ice and rest for that knee. Look after it, and try not to risk any further damage. If it doesn't clear up very quickly, back to the physio with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

That's a dose mrslow. Hope you get it sorted and healed up asap.

RubyK wrote: »
    That's a dose mrslow. Hope you get it sorted and healed up asap.

Cheers, I'm reluctant to go back to the physio - I've little confidence in him if that makes sense and it's an expensive endeavour! Might try getting a pair of the new generation of runner it would be worth a punt to see if I'm right.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

hi there ive been reading thiis thread for a bit and thought i should come out of the shadows
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) have pbs from a few marathons 5 yrs ago, dublin 2004 in 3hr 41 but after 2 years a PB goes out of date. i did the 5 mile race there a few weeks ago in 42 mins
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    not really but i have been lazy on occasion
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    train 4-5 days a week, did lsr last week of 14.5, avge week about 30 miles
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? sub four if all well, not too sure if thats realisitc, but the aim is to be fit at the start line
    • How many days a week can you train? 4-5
    • Why are you running this marathon?
    because i used to run marathons and im afraid im over the hill! I am !

Would love to do a LSR in the park with a group its crap on your own, im doing the 10 mile race at the weekend. also cause i eat too many nachos

welcome on board

• Advertisement

nachoqueen wrote: »
    hi there ive been reading thiis thread for a bit and thought i should come out of the shadows
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) have pbs from a few marathons 5 yrs ago, dublin 2004 in 3hr 41 but after 2 years a PB goes out of date. i did the 5 mile race there a few weeks ago in 42 mins
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    not really but i have been lazy on occasion
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    train 4-5 days a week, did lsr last week of 14.5, avge week about 30 miles
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? sub four if all well, not too sure if thats realisitc, but the aim is to be fit at the start line
    • How many days a week can you train? 4-5
    • Why are you running this marathon?
    because i used to run marathons and im afraid im over the hill! I am !

Would love to do a LSR in the park with a group its crap on your own, im doing the 10 mile race at the weekend. also cause i eat too many nachos

We already have a few bodies for a 15 mile run (10 min mile)on Saturday week 9am if you're interested.

Welcome aboard.

Advertisement