Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|3|12.1|93.2|In with Physio with sore knee so had rest up and skip LSR this week|
    The Wexican|6|16|117|I have only managed two runs and 16 milesthe past two weeks, hoping to get things back on track this week|
    rofno1|4|27|141|13.1 LSR, looking forward to 10 mile race as step back next week.|
    boccy23|4|27|144|Feeling good at the half way point of trianing schedule. Week off worked a treat and body is now fine.|
    brophya2007|4|26.5|175.3|13 mile lsr done but with a struggle. Looking forward to the "step back" week.|
    beamgirl|4|25|139|13 mile LSR nearly killed me, had company for last 6 miles dont know if i woulld have done it without it - think i need to eat before these longer runs|
    michellemuncher|0|0|128|Abstained completely from running or walking due to injury in lower calf. Though well able to cycle, started my Tour de West on Sunday, 45 miles cycled.|
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|29.1|231|stepback week was nice, 10 mile race this week and 20 mile LSR the next :eek:|
    littlebug|5|29.2|194.2|happy with 13.1 lsr |
    meathcountysec|5|36.46|312.54|Had a shocker of a LSR. Lesson learnt|
    DigiJem|4|25|186|13 mile lsr done, went well. Looking forward to the 10 mile race next Sat.|
    D Chief|3|24|137|Missed out on second short run last week, but happy with 14.6 LSR on Sunday. I was in Nenagh for the weekend and got a bit lost at the end of my intended 13 miles, so did a bit extra.|
    digger2d2|4|30|208|Good week, all on schedule|
    Curl52|4|34|324|Got up to 15miles on my LSR, still hard to imagine doing the full 26 but feel like I'm on the right track. Looking forward to Frank Duffy race next week but feel my times have slowed down lately with the LSR.|
    ilovetorun |4|31|190|This was step back week for me-I must have needed it as I felt each of the 4 runs tough last week. 17m LSR planned for this week|
    James Howlett|4|36|215|Miscalculated my LSR and did 16.25 instead of 17. At this stage the thoughts of doing longer distances scares me. Also doing Frank Duffy.|
    RallyRunner|4|27.5|156|Did the lsr at lunchtime on Saturday, now that was a genius decision. Definitely have to get out of the scratcher earlier.|
    corked|4|30|160.5|Did the clonmel half (14.5miles) @2hr11 - hate the heat|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|4|27|176|14 mile LSR. 2 hours even. Really happy with the runs but my legs were glad of the morning off this morning|
    RubyK|1|6.05|210.35|Happy enough with progress so far. Touch wood all will go to plan for the remaining 10 weeks :eek:|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|6|23|73|Happy with 14 miles done last Tuesday, 2h05m, rest of week not much done 6 & 3 miles, hungover yesterday and triathlon Sat.|
    Mrslow|3|20|68.25|13.5 mile LSR done (missed my midweek 6 mile:mad:, my groin started giving trouble at mile 10 so I'm gonna have to get into a serious stretching routine, running with others makes a huge difference and the good news is that my knee feels great today:D|
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|1|10|99|Typical as soon as i add my name to this list. I catch a cold..|

Unhappy with having to stop running altogether but hopefully I will be ok this Sat doing the 10m race.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nachoqueen, welcome to the madhouse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

mrslow wrote: »
    Tuesday I ran 3 miles in 22 minutes - no issues:D. Last night myself and The Wexican did 7 x 9 min miles and I stopped at 6 to stretch my groin only to find my knee start to pinch:eek:, by the time I got home I was back in pain city:mad: - really thought I was over this because my 13.5 on Saturday was no problem, my eyes are watering from the 'deep heat' and I'm going to have to at least push out my 4 miler until tomorrow.

Not a happy camper.

Sorry to hear.

Touch wood I seem be getting over my recent spate of injuries, once I keep up my routine of icing the ankle and deep heat on the calf. Probably not a very scientific approach but it's working for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Sorry to hear.

Touch wood I seem be getting over my recent spate of injuries, once I keep up my routine of icing the ankle and deep heat on the calf. Probably not a very scientific approach but it's working for me so far.

Starting the run on hills probably didn't help either, you choose the route next time.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Welcome nachoqueen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

haven't been around much of late

this day 2 weeks ago I went for a 3 miler and had an awful pain in my left foot. I had been having pain in my right foot so thought it was the same problem with my left.
    I was away that weekend and my next run was a 7 miler on the following Tuesday, I had to stop after 5.75 miles as it had been paining me from the get go and just got undearable.
    A lot of my injuries I can run through but not this one.
    The foot was fairly swelled at first and I couldnt walk properly until a few days ago and havent run since.
    I've a wedding coming up in October so theres no Physio for me.
    It was a weird injury, best I can explain is that it was my next to little metatarsal area and even now I can feel it a bit if i was to stand up an down on my tip toe on that foot
    It like my spring is effected?!

Long story short am I mad to run in the Adidas Series on Saturday?
    The foot is probably at 90%, I have not run since and I can walk
    I know I'm probably mad but I really want to do it

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You're probably mad.
    Go out for a run this evening. If the pain has gone, cool. If it hasn't, go to a physio. no point in turning up on Saturday and having to stop after 5 minutes (or continuing through the pain and being ****ed for the next few months)

8ofSpades wrote: »
    haven't been around much of late

this day 2 weeks ago I went for a 3 miler and had an awful pain in my left foot. I had been having pain in my right foot so thought it was the same problem with my left.
    I was away that weekend and my next run was a 7 miler on Tuesday, I had to stop after 5.75 miles as it had been paining me from the get go and just got undearable.
    A lot of my injuries I can run through but not this one.
    The foot was fairly swelled at first and I couldnt walk properly until a few days ago and havent run since.
    I've a wedding coming up in October so theres no Physio for me.
    It was a weird injury, best I can explain is that it was my next to little metatarsal area and even now I can feel it a bit if i was to stand up an down on my tip toe on that foot
    It like my spring is effected?!

Long story short am I mad to run in the Adidas Series on Saturday?
    The foot is probably at 90%, I have not run since and I can walk
    I know I'm probably mad but I really want to do it

Thoughts?

I would forget about Saturday and just go straight to the physio. No point in risking doing any further damage. I know that's really not what you want to hear though :(

dang you all and your voices of reason :(

Can anyone recommend a good sports physio in either D14 for an evening session during the week or Arklow/Gorey at weekends?

All those little niggles were/are annoying me and starting to really pi$$ me off. I was going so well but the niggles keep reining me back in.
    I'm hoping the unattended break sorted them out.
    I've been runing consistently since christmas in the hope of preventing these types of problems. The intention being to give me a base for the marathon.

So far I've had
    IT Band problems in left and right knee
    Shin splints in right leg.
    Problem with my right foot for a few weeks
    calf strain

Unfortunately the foot was beyond a niggle and really put the skids under me.

Luckily I started a week early, meaning so far I've only missed 1 week of training, hopefully it wont extend much further beyond that!!

Try Premier Physiotherapy in Ballinteer, I went there when I had a knee niggle early in DCM training last year. They run appointments up until about 8.30pm if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Can anyone recommend a good sports physio in either D14 for an evening session during the week or Arklow/Gorey at weekends?

So far I've had
    calf strain

Don't go to a Vet or it might be lights out......;)

dang you all and your voices of reason :(

All those little niggles were/are annoying me and starting to really pi$$ me off. I was going so well but the niggles keep reining me back in.
    I'm hoping the unattended break sorted them out.
    I've been runing consistently since christmas in the hope of preventing these types of problems. The intention being to give me a base for the marathon.

So far I've had
    calf strain

Unfortunately the foot was beyond a niggle and really put the skids under me.

Luckily I started a week early, meaning so far I've only missed 1 week of training, hopefully it wont extend much further beyond that!!

I have very limited experience with regard to running but it seems to me there has to be something causing these issues, footfall,rolling in, heel strike etc - what you need is a good physio (hard to find) who'll work with you rather than fob you off with inserts or the like.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

have the lazyitis yesterday and today :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Hope everyone enjoyed running in the rain this evening.

Hope everyone enjoyed running in the rain this evening.

I love running in the rain! You can only get so wet and the streets are your own.
    beamgirl wrote: »
    have the lazyitis yesterday and today :o

That's not d'attitude, get out there and pound some ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

I'm no expert but I think you should skip the ten mile race , if u get your injury sorted you could be doing lsr s of 15 miles plus in a week . Wouldn't that be a better alternative ? A bad race will affect your confidence whereas being able to do the Long runs in a few days will set u up nicely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

I love running in the rain! You can only get so wet and the streets are your own.

Once you're out there it's fine. It's the leaving the nice dry sitting room and the first 10 mins that makes it tough

Once you're out there it's fine. It's the leaving the nice dry sitting room and the first 10 mins that makes it tough

Sore knee = No Run

I wouldn't care if it was snowing I just want to get out there and run:D

the 10 miler tomorrow is a figure of 8 circuit.

So what about running it and if I'm not feeling the best of it just head for the finish line after 5 miles instead of 10...

the 10 miler tomorrow is a figure of 8 circuit.

So what about running it and if I'm not feeling the best of it just head for the finish line after 5 miles instead of 10...

Go and see the physio dude, they'll hopefully tell you you need to stretch x,y and z and that will solve your problem.

I'm very stubborn about my running but sometimes you have to think logically, if a throat infection was keeping you from running you'd be straight down to the doctor for an antibiotic!

I wouldn't race tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tivvo

Hi. I'm in a bit of a fix and need some help, but first here is some basic info on my running history
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) - just the women's mini marathon 10k in '09 & '10 doing a PB of 58mins
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? - not usually, but sometimes I think I might need to but end up pushing thru
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant - I am following the 'Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer' schedule, which up until my injury (plantar fasciitus) and holiday break, I had reached 24 miles a week with 4 days running, the breakdown being 4m 5m 4m 11m
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? - I honestly just want to finish!
    • How many days a week can you train? The four days a week is pretty much it which is why I like this program
    • Why are you running this marathon? - All my life I would never have dreamt of even considering running a marathon but decided that before I turn 40 I want to be able to say I achieved something of this magnitude. Now that I actually enjoy running I think this is a great way to show myself how much strength I have.
    Ok now to my dilemma! I've signed up to do the Dublin City Marathon in Oct and as I mentioned I have been following the 'Non-Runners' schedule which has been working great up until week 6. Plantar Fasciitus put me out for a week and a two week holiday to Florida saw me running only 20-30min x 3 (heat got to me). So my problem is this, after such a break in my training schedule do I just jump right back in or what? This week I've run 2 x 3m and a 6m and other than a few sore muscles it was grand but according to the schedule I'm supposed to do a 12mile this weekend! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

my next run was a 7 miler on the following Tuesday, I had to stop after 5.75 miles as it had been paining me from the get go and just got undearable.

Go for a short run today. If it's sore then you need to get treated.
    If you ran 6 miles on a sore foot on Tuesday, you might do the same on Saturday because its a race and you want to finish. But that could make the problem worse. You should have the decision made ahead of time.

(I'm wondering if my own good luck with injuries has come to an end... the arch of my left foot has felt a bit sore since yesterday afternoon. it's still only a niggle, and didn't come up when I was running, but I'm a little worried that its still there a day on. Or maybe it's just pre-race madness)

tivvo wrote: »
    Hi. I'm in a bit of a fix and need some help, but first here is some basic info on my running history
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) - just the women's mini marathon 10k in '09 & '10 doing a PB of 58mins
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? - not usually, but sometimes I think I might need to but end up pushing thru
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant - I am following the 'Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer' schedule, which up until my injury (plantar fasciitus) and holiday break, I had reached 24 miles a week with 4 days running, the breakdown being 4m 5m 4m 11m
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? - I honestly just want to finish!
    • How many days a week can you train? The four days a week is pretty much it which is why I like this program
    • Why are you running this marathon? - All my life I would never have dreamt of even considering running a marathon but decided that before I turn 40 I want to be able to say I achieved something of this magnitude. Now that I actually enjoy running I think this is a great way to show myself how much strength I have.
    Ok now to my dilemma! I've signed up to do the Dublin City Marathon in Oct and as I mentioned I have been following the 'Non-Runners' schedule which has been working great up until week 6. Plantar Fasciitus put me out for a week and a two week holiday to Florida saw me running only 20-30min x 3 (heat got to me). So my problem is this, after such a break in my training schedule do I just jump right back in or what? This week I've run 2 x 3m and a 6m and other than a few sore muscles it was grand but according to the schedule I'm supposed to do a 12mile this weekend! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

What about switching plans, the Hal higdon novice program has a step back week this week with 10 miles at the weekend, next week is 15 but you could do 13 and 15 the following week insted of 16 then take the next step back week and continue on plan from then on?

Just a thought :)

RayCun wrote: »
    Go for a short run today. If it's sore then you need to get treated.
    If you ran 6 miles on a sore foot on Tuesday, you might do the same on Saturday because its a race and you want to finish. But that could make the problem worse. You should have the decision made ahead of time.

(I'm wondering if my own good luck with injuries has come to an end... the arch of my left foot has felt a bit sore since yesterday afternoon. it's still only a niggle, and didn't come up when I was running, but I'm a little worried that its still there a day on. Or maybe it's just pre-race madness)

My wife had something similar when her runners broke in, the shape of her foot was impressed on the inside of the runner but the arch support stayed where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

so this is really turing into the niggles and injuries forum isn't it?

my own tale of woe is that I finally went to the physio last Friday having suffered niggling and sometimes worse pain in my right knee. Turned out to be cartilage which was no surprise really but caused by my pelvis joints being misaligned :rolleyes:. Net effect was that I was effectively running with a shorter right leg. Lots of prodding and poking last friday to get my aligment back in order. From my side lots of stretching (which I can admit now I was very silly and not doing much or any of before)

So for the last week I've just done a lot of stretching, ran 3 miles on Sunday - slight pain all week. Thursday felt good so went for 3.5 - some pain on the run itself and shortly after but mercifully woke up this morning pain free. Was expecting to be told on my return visit to physio today that I should not do the ten miler tomorrow - but hooray - he gave me the green light - as long as I promise to pull up if I feel pain and its getiing worse - am delighted I'll get to run tomorrow - even if its the slowest 10 I will ever do - I really want to do it but am not going to be stupid enough to "race" it - a nice leisurely run and a t shirt for me please!

So assuming i'm not crippled tomorrow - have discussed with him easing back in to it next week - so i thought I'd drop one of the midweek ones and do 12 or 13 for my lsr instead of the planned 15. Any ideas which midweek one would be best to drop? Supposed to do 4,7,4,15 next week....

I would say still do the 7, but take it dead easy (recovery or LSR pace). I would do one of the 4's, probably on Monday, take it easy and treat it as a recovery from the race if you get through it ok. I would possibly replace the other 4-mile run with something that will get you off your feet (a swim would be nice to help loosen out the muscles), do LOADS of stretching, and possibly put the long run out to Sunday to give you the maximum amount of rest time before it.

William72 wrote: »
    so this is really turing into the niggles and injuries forum isn't it?

my own tale of woe is that I finally went to the physio last Friday having suffered niggling and sometimes worse pain in my right knee. Turned out to be cartilage which was no surprise really but caused by my pelvis joints being misaligned :rolleyes:. Net effect was that I was effectively running with a shorter right leg. Lots of prodding and poking last friday to get my aligment back in order. From my side lots of stretching (which I can admit now I was very silly and not doing much or any of before)

So for the last week I've just done a lot of stretching, ran 3 miles on Sunday - slight pain all week. Thursday felt good so went for 3.5 - some pain on the run itself and shortly after but mercifully woke up this morning pain free. Was expecting to be told on my return visit to physio today that I should not do the ten miler tomorrow - but hooray - he gave me the green light - as long as I promise to pull up if I feel pain and its getiing worse - am delighted I'll get to run tomorrow - even if its the slowest 10 I will ever do - I really want to do it but am not going to be stupid enough to "race" it - a nice leisurely run and a t shirt for me please!

So assuming i'm not crippled tomorrow - have discussed with him easing back in to it next week - so i thought I'd drop one of the midweek ones and do 12 or 13 for my lsr instead of the planned 15. Any ideas which midweek one would be best to drop? Supposed to do 4,7,4,15 next week....

Great news, congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

What is it about running longer distances that make you want to have tea. Don't normally drink the stuff, but after any LSR I'll drink about four cups. Weird eh!?

boccy23 wrote: »
    What is it about running longer distances that make you want to have tea. Don't normally drink the stuff, but after any LSR I'll drink about four cups. Weird eh!?

Yep.....that's weird:D

• Advertisement

RK how long after the marathon did you pass the 10 mile mark again?

Advertisement