Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

First time I ran 10 miles after DCM last year would have been about a month after. I loosely followed the Hal Higdon suggestion of not doing more than 8 miles at a time in November.

My first run after DCM was 3 incredibly stiff miles at 11 min/mile pace on Halloween. :)

You'll have built up a lot of fitness from the training, and I would suggest that after DCM that everyone here be targeting a shorter-distance PB (5k-10k) in December. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tivvo

Thanks mrslow, I hadn't thought of changing programs. I guess I was just wondering how long before your body forgets all the miles you've put in! I was seriously worried I would have to start from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You'll have built up a lot of fitness from the training, and I would suggest that after DCM that everyone here be targeting a shorter-distance PB (5k-10k) in December. :D

yeah, I'm looking at the BHAA Marlay Park or Phoenix Park Jingle Bells runs (my current 5k best is 25.12, and I could get up out of my chair and beat that right now), and a winter of speed training and shorter races... before starting a 3.30 training programme next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

I would say still do the 7, but take it dead easy (recovery or LSR pace). I would do one of the 4's, probably on Monday, take it easy and treat it as a recovery from the race if you get through it ok. I would possibly replace the other 4-mile run with something that will get you off your feet (a swim would be nice to help loosen out the muscles), do LOADS of stretching, and possibly put the long run out to Sunday to give you the maximum amount of rest time before it.

Sounds like a plan - thanks RK
    mrslow wrote: »
    Great news, congrats!

Cheers mrslow - I'll see how tomorrow goes before I get too excited though - can't help feeling I shouldn't be doing it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    yeah, I'm looking at the BHAA Marlay Park or Phoenix Park Jingle Bells runs (my current 5k best is 25.12, and I could get up out of my chair and beat that right now), and a winter of speed training and shorter races... before starting a 3.30 training programme next year.

Dunshaughlin ac are putting on a 4/5 miler around Xmas, don't know if it's advertised yet but their 10k is a really well organised race and so should be a good show.

• Advertisement

William72 wrote: »
    Cheers mrslow - I'll see how tomorrow goes before I get too excited though - can't help feeling I shouldn't be doing it :(

Your confidence has been knocked naturally, this might restore it for you!

Best of Luck

tivvo wrote: »
    Thanks mrslow, I hadn't thought of changing programs. I guess I was just wondering how long before your body forgets all the miles you've put in! I was seriously worried I would have to start from scratch.

We are starting to meet up in the park for the LSR's, it may help to run with people to get back into the swing of the longer runs. Plus if you need to be carried back to the car - I'm sure Raycun will be able to oblige without even reducing his pace ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Dunshaughlin ac are putting on a 4/5 miler around Xmas, don't know if it's advertised yet but their 10k is a really well organised race and so should be a good show.

Navan AC have a 10K on 26th Dec.

Navan AC have a 10K on 26th Dec.

Perfect for running off the turkey/booze/etc :pac:

I'm sure Raycun will be able to oblige without even reducing his pace ;)

:eek:

I wonder are the GOAL Mile (?) things on again on Christmas day? I've never raced a mile...

• Advertisement

They would be, and as far as I know there's one on in Tallaght - not too far away :)

ooh, on a proper track and everything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Best of luck to everybody doing the ten miler tomorrow and I'll be there in spirit! Hope the PB's will be flying in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

milosh wrote: »
    +1 on the recommendation. I got my last pair of runners there on my marathon running brothers recommendation. He travels from Kildare to buy his there all the time. I live in Bray and never heard of them until a month ago!

The German (might be Dutch) guy in there spent a good 30 minutes with me and gave me at least 5 pairs of runners to try (all cheaper than the asics I had been wearing). The Brooks he sold me in the end are the best pair I ever had in terms of comfort and fit.

He's Hungarian - I asked! thanks for tip. very happy with my new Mizunos

shazkea wrote: »
    Best of luck to everybody doing the ten miler tomorrow and I'll be there in spirit! Hope the PB's will be flying in :)

That's a big +1 from me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|3|12.1|93.2|In with Physio with sore knee so had rest up and skip LSR this week|
    The Wexican|6|16|117|I have only managed two runs and 16 milesthe past two weeks, hoping to get things back on track this week|
    rofno1|4|27|141|13.1 LSR, looking forward to 10 mile race as step back next week.|
    boccy23|4|27|144|Feeling good at the half way point of trianing schedule. Week off worked a treat and body is now fine.|
    brophya2007|4|26.5|175.3|13 mile lsr done but with a struggle. Looking forward to the "step back" week.|
    beamgirl|4|25|139|13 mile LSR nearly killed me, had company for last 6 miles dont know if i woulld have done it without it - think i need to eat before these longer runs|
    michellemuncher|0|0|128|Abstained completely from running or walking due to injury in lower calf. Though well able to cycle, started my Tour de West on Sunday, 45 miles cycled.|
    Dave_|||||
    RayCun|4|29.1|231|stepback week was nice, 10 mile race this week and 20 mile LSR the next :eek:|
    littlebug|5|29.2|194.2|happy with 13.1 lsr |
    meathcountysec|5|36.46|312.54|Had a shocker of a LSR. Lesson learnt|
    DigiJem|4|25|186|13 mile lsr done, went well. Looking forward to the 10 mile race next Sat.|
    D Chief|3|24|137|Missed out on second short run last week, but happy with 14.6 LSR on Sunday. I was in Nenagh for the weekend and got a bit lost at the end of my intended 13 miles, so did a bit extra.|
    digger2d2|4|30|208|Good week, all on schedule|
    Curl52|4|34|324|Got up to 15miles on my LSR, still hard to imagine doing the full 26 but feel like I'm on the right track. Looking forward to Frank Duffy race next week but feel my times have slowed down lately with the LSR.|
    ilovetorun |4|31|190|This was step back week for me-I must have needed it as I felt each of the 4 runs tough last week. 17m LSR planned for this week|
    James Howlett|4|36|215|Miscalculated my LSR and did 16.25 instead of 17. At this stage the thoughts of doing longer distances scares me. Also doing Frank Duffy.|
    RallyRunner|4|27.5|156|Did the lsr at lunchtime on Saturday, now that was a genius decision. Definitely have to get out of the scratcher earlier.|
    corked|4|30|160.5|Did the clonmel half (14.5miles) @2hr11 - hate the heat|
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|4|27|176|14 mile LSR. 2 hours even. Really happy with the runs but my legs were glad of the morning off this morning|
    RubyK|1|6.05|210.35|Happy enough with progress so far. Touch wood all will go to plan for the remaining 10 weeks :eek:|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|6|23|73|Happy with 14 miles done last Tuesday, 2h05m, rest of week not much done 6 & 3 miles, hungover yesterday and triathlon Sat.|
    Mrslow|3|20|68.25|13.5 mile LSR done (missed my midweek 6 mile:mad:, my groin started giving trouble at mile 10 so I'm gonna have to get into a serious stretching routine, running with others makes a huge difference and the good news is that my knee feels great today:D|
    marrona|4|25.64|224.96|tried to pick up pace in last 1.5 miles of midweek 6, thought i did but clock said otherwse. tried gels for first time on 13.4 LSR: felt queasy for most of run. think 70g was too much in one go. finished 2h 33 min|
    Agent J|1|10|99|Typical as soon as i add my name to this list. I catch a cold..|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

+ 1 on wishing luck to everyone running the 10 miler.. too many individual logs to comment in! I'm looking forward to all those pb reports tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Best of luck from me too! There's some great training going on in this group and hopefully it'll stand to you during the race! Hopefully see a few of you for post-race refreshments too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Best of luck tomorrow everyone.

xebec wrote: »
    Hopefully see a few of you for post-race refreshments too...
    *cough* Ryans on Parkgate St *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

See you there I will be dressed as a nacho;) . Hope the knee calms down mr slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Aaarrrgghhh...Just found out I've to go to the West Coast of the States the week after next for an interview...I'm meant to be doing 5/8/5/18 that week....I see a hotel with a treadmill and running in my sleep ahead !!

nachoqueen wrote: »
    See you there I will be dressed as a nacho;) . Hope the knee calms down mr slow

Thanks Nacho, went out for 4 miles last night, it was uncomfortable and took from the run but there wasn't any pain afterwards. I'm gonna stick with LSR pace for a while just to be sure.

Hope you get your ultimate pb today;)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

that was HOT:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

well I finished. Knee was a bit sore but I expected that. Main thing was it didn't get progressively worse which was what I needed to look out for. Finished quite comfortably, pain wise. Time was a good 15 mins slower but that doesn't matter. Just need to see how the knee feels for the next day or two - a little "tender" now... but I did it ;)

Oh the race - it was actually 10 miles which was nice - great day for it. Well organised - water stations a bit of a nightmare but other than that top marks. Beginning to love these phoenix park races :) Getting to see the winner tear by when I was still on my first lap was a good laugh. Roll on Sept 18th!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Just back to Limerick after the race. Great atmosphere, great weather and a great new PB for me (It was my first 10 miler) :D

Water stations bit of a disaster but what can you do?

Was aiming for sub 100 and did it in 97:26 so happy enough.

P.S. What hills? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Chip Time 68:45
    Finish Time 69:24

I'm more than happy with either result.
    I cannot believe I actually managed to get a sub 70 (1st 10mile race).
    When I crossed the line the announcer read out my name and said "clearly delighted with a sub-70."
    This is going to keep me in a good mood all day :)

I'll post an epic yarn about this later...

Well done all :)

Just back to Limerick after the race. Great atmosphere, great weather and a great new PB for me (It was my first 10 miler) :D

Water stations bit of a disaster but what can you do?

Was aiming for sub 100 and did it in 97:26 so happy enough.

P.S. What hills? :eek:

Well done all.

Re: Hills - They're there alright, you were spared on that course. Glad to see Limerick was well represented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

I did today's race in 89 mins which I am fairly happy with as I wanted to do it in under 90 mins and it was the first time I ran in 2 weeks. Well done to everyone, great results. James, you must share your secret with us ;)

Advertisement