Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done all, course may have been up to 1/10th of a mile long as well....My chip time was 81;26 so delighted with that !! Sub 80 next year at 44 if I'm still around....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

James, you must share your secret with us ;)

Well chosen and planned music.
    Last night I set out what songs I wanted to hear and in roughly what order to help me through and pace me. It worked a charm;
    On the 4th mile I was part of a large group which was splitting into two. I originally decided I would stay back with the slower group but a song that really motivates me came on and that pushed me forward to the faster group; which is a good thing because they were flying forward.

That said I had a very bad mile 8 which I attribute to this;
    I had Laura Branigan "Self Control" when in retrospect Flourence Welch's "Cosmic Love" would have been a much better choice.

That was one hell of a race though; I don't think I could keep a pace like that for a whole Marathon:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Finished the Frank Duffy in 89 mins. Really enjoyed the race. Felt comfortable the whole way round.

I set out with the plan of taking it easy for the first few miles and see how I went. My pace was a maybe 9:05 - 9:10 per mile, so for the last 2 miles I upped the pace and finished with a sprint.

The only problem was with the water stations. I skipped the first one as there were just too many people standing around waiting for the cups to be filled. At the second station I took some water and nearly choked myself. Does anyone know if it's cups for the half and full marathon. I have visions of myself running around the garden trying to perfect drinking out of a plastic cup.

Have to say the support was great, and it was well marshalled, nobody got the chance to cut any corners, unlike other races.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Last year it was cups for the half and bottles (both for water and Club Energise) for the full.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Ran the 10 mile course this morning and at 10 miles couldn't go any further if I wanted to :( - my knees just gave out, not a lot of pain but they were spent - my confidence in running 15 next week has just taken a big knock:mad:

• Advertisement

At the second station I took some water and nearly choked myself. Does anyone know if it's cups for the half and full marathon. I have visions of myself running around the garden trying to perfect drinking out of a plastic cup.

Haha yeah I had the same problem.
    Think I drank a tiny bit and just ended up throwing the rest over myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Well chosen and planned music.
    Last night I set out what songs I wanted to hear and in roughly what order to help me through and pace me.

I didn't think music would make such a difference, though obviously you are training very effectively too. What was the tempo/pace pattern of the tunes you chose for the race? For example, did you start out with a high tempo tune, flatten off then bring up the tempo halfway? I don't listen to music while running, though I am thinking about trying it out.

Mrslow, sorry about all the knee problems. Do you know what is causing the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I didn't think music would make such a difference, though obviously you are training very effectively too. What was the tempo/pace pattern of the tunes you chose for the race? For example, did you start out with a high tempo tune, flatten off then bring up the tempo halfway? I don't listen to music while running, though I am thinking about trying it out.

Mrslow, sorry about all the knee problems. Do you know what is causing the problem?

Me too Michelle:( Thanks, I think originally I went too far in new runners and the recent upped mileage is aggravating it. I'm gonna stay the course for this week and see how the 15 goes next week - dropping the midweek longish run might give them some bit of rest for a few weeks - ideally, taking a few weeks off would sort them (I think) but that ain't possible at the mo.

Have to say that running alone was quite tough after the few runs with company:D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

mrslow wrote: »
    Me too Michelle:( Thanks, I think originally I went too far in new runners and the recent upped mileage is aggravating it. I'm gonna stay the course for this week and see how the 15 goes next week - dropping the midweek longish run might give them some bit of rest for a few weeks - ideally, taking a few weeks off would sort them (I think) but that ain't possible at the mo.

Your injury sounds really bad. You need to go see a good physio asap to find the source of the problem and what you need to do to fix it. I know you are probably afraid the physio will make you stop running but better him/her than the knees themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry to hear about the knee, mrslow, here's hoping a couple of days rest will see it right.

I think I'll run on my own this coming Saturday, it's my first 20-miler and I want to make sure I go at a slow enough pace, can divert for water when needed, and just turn up the volume on the podcast when I really need to cut out the world. (Plus I'm nearly at the end of my American Civil War lecture series - I have to see how it ends!:) )

But I'll give a wave if I spot you running around, and I should be on for more group runs in the coming weeks...

• Advertisement

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||93.2||
    The Wexican|||117||
    rofno1|||141||
    boccy23|||144||
    brophya2007|||175.3||
    beamgirl|||139||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    RayCun|4|26.2|257.2|Just under 81 minutes in the 10 mile, which I'm delighted with. But now I've tired and sore legs and I'm staring down the barrel of a 38 mile week...|
    littlebug|||194.2||
    meathcountysec|||312.54||
    DigiJem|||186||
    D Chief|||137||
    digger2d2|||208||
    Curl52|||324||
    ilovetorun |||190||
    James Howlett|||215||
    RallyRunner|||156||
    corked|||160.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|||176||
    RubyK|||210.35||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||73||
    Mrslow|||68.25||
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|||99||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||||
    tivvo|||||

I think that's everyone on the table? There's millions of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Awh that knee injury sounds awful , there are loads of knee injuries u can train thru , you just need to find the right Physio . I have no acl , a nasty ski ing incident in new Zealand tore it ! But I was able to do the 10 miles . Seriously you really need to see a Physio

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Forgot to say my time 1 h 30 , no way I will figure out how to put it in the nice shiny table :(

Thanks for starting the table :)

First of all, congratulations to everyone who raced this weekend, some great performances at the Frank Duffy 10 Mile yesterday. 4 weeks to the half now, time to start thinking about your targets for that.

Week 10
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|7 m|4 m|rest|15 m|cross

Another jump in terms of the long run this week - 15 miles, sounds like quite a nice round figure! At this stage you should really be trying to work out the little things that work for you on longer runs, distance magnifies all the little annoyances.

Week 11
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|4 m|8 m|4 m|rest|16 m|cross

Another mile added onto the long run this week, and a few extra midweek miles too. 32 miles this week, for some of you this might be your first time over 30 miles in a week so another milestone to add to the list. We're getting to the sharp end of the long runs now, you'll only have two runs longer than this in the entire program (18 and 20 miles). You should be starting to think of these long runs as a bit of a dress rehearal for the marathon itself, wear the sort of thing you would be considering wearing on race day, take on nutrition at the times you would be planning on taking it during the marathon, and use liberal amounts of BodyGlide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'm doing the HM in Galway next Sunday. With a warm up and eh.... walk back to the car :o I hope to cover the 15 miles. What do you reckon about the midweek runs? Common sense tells me not to do the midweek longish run and take it easy. I've been finding the increased mileage tough tbh and this half has been my target with DCM as a "If I feel good to go again afterwards" add on. I don't want to spoil the HM by overdoing it during the week. A few niggles in the past week as well.

Oh and the boy landed in to me this morning at 6 am with a head full of snot... he's been sneezing all over me all day. What are the odds I'll have it for the weekend :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

William72|||93.2||
    The Wexican|||117||
    rofno1|||141||
    boccy23|||144||
    brophya2007|||175.3||
    beamgirl|||139||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    RayCun|4|26.2|257.2|Just under 81 minutes in the 10 mile, which I'm delighted with. But now I've tired and sore legs and I'm staring down the barrel of a 38 mile week...|
    littlebug|4|20|214.2|not the best of weeks:(|
    DigiJem|||186||
    D Chief|||137||
    digger2d2|||208||
    Curl52|||324||
    ilovetorun |||190||
    James Howlett|||215||
    RallyRunner|||156||
    corked|||160.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|||176||
    RubyK|||210.35||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||73||
    Mrslow|||68.25||
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|||99||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||||
    tivvo|||||

I think that's everyone on the table? There's millions of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

William72|||93.2||
    The Wexican|||117||
    rofno1|||141||
    boccy23|||144||
    brophya2007|||175.3||
    beamgirl|||139||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    DigiJem|||186||
    D Chief|||137||
    digger2d2|||208||
    Curl52|||324||
    ilovetorun |||190||
    James Howlett|||215||
    RallyRunner|4|24|180|Good week. Did the Adidas 10 mile and it went well|
    corked|||160.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|||176||
    RubyK|||210.35||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||73||
    Mrslow|||68.25||
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|||99||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||||
    tivvo|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

William72|2|13.6|118.9|one easy run on thurs to test the the knee and one very easy 10 mile in the park. No ill effects thank god|
    The Wexican|||117||
    rofno1|||141||
    boccy23|||144||
    brophya2007|||175.3||
    beamgirl|||139||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    DigiJem|||186||
    D Chief|||137||
    digger2d2|||208||
    Curl52|||324||
    ilovetorun |||190||
    James Howlett|||215||
    corked|||160.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|||176||
    RubyK|||210.35||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||73||
    Mrslow|||68.25||
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|||99||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||||
    tivvo|||||
    will ease myself slowly back into it this week - fingers crossed knee will stay ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Folks hope no one minds if I jump in this late. Only after finding the thread and reading through it. Some fantastic training going on here.
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) - Covered most of the distances up to half marathon. Main PB's are 5K 21:26, 10K 48:14, 10 mile 1 hour 15, Half Marathon 1 hour 46
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? - No
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant - Following Hal Higdon Intermediate programme. Running 5 day s a week and try to get on the bike one day.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? - If I can get around 3:40 it would be brilliant, 3:50 probably more realistic though
    • How many days a week can you train? 5 days most weeks
    • Why are you running this marathon? - I was prety sporty when I was younger played a lot of team sports and did some running. Early 20's started to suffer badly with my back which put an end to most sports. Diagnosed with a form of arthritis 3 years ago and put on medication that has really helped. Am doing this to prove to my self that I acually can.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

mrslow wrote: »
    Ran the 10 mile course this morning and at 10 miles couldn't go any further if I wanted to :( - my knees just gave out, not a lot of pain but they were spent - my confidence in running 15 next week has just taken a big knock:mad:

mrslow - when I read these posts there's a voice screaming in my head saying "go see a physio" - I think you said you'd lost confidence in yours so maybe see a new one? In my (very) limited experience its well worth it. It was my inclination to doubt the guy too but after only the second visit I really think I may be on the mend.. its worth a shot no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

littlebug wrote: »
    I'm doing the HM in Galway next Sunday. With a warm up and eh.... walk back to the car :o I hope to cover the 15 miles. What do you reckon about the midweek runs? Common sense tells me not to do the midweek longish run and take it easy. I've been finding the increased mileage tough tbh and this half has been my target with DCM as a "If I feel good to go again afterwards" add on. I don't want to spoil the HM by overdoing it during the week. A few niggles in the past week as well.

Oh and the boy landed in to me this morning at 6 am with a head full of snot... he's been sneezing all over me all day. What are the odds I'll have it for the weekend :(

If the Galway HM is one of your targets, better take it easy during the week to leave yourself in the best possible shape. Good luck with it!

Hope you avoid that cold, loads of people are going around sneezing, must be the Irish summer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

William72|2|13.6|118.9|one easy run on thurs to test the the knee and one very easy 10 mile in the park. No ill effects thank god|
    The Wexican|||117||
    rofno1|||141||
    boccy23|||144||
    brophya2007|||175.3||
    beamgirl|||139||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    DigiJem|3|20|206|Pretty good week; 10 mile race went well. Here's hoping week 10 goes as well.|
    D Chief|||137||
    digger2d2|||208||
    Curl52|||324||
    ilovetorun |||190||
    James Howlett|||215||
    corked|||160.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|||176||
    RubyK|||210.35||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||73||
    Mrslow|||68.25||
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|||99||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||||
    tivvo|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

The Wexican|||117||
    rofno1|||141||
    boccy23|||144||
    brophya2007|||175.3||
    beamgirl|||139||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    DigiJem|3|20|206|Pretty good week; 10 mile race went well. Here's hoping week 10 goes as well.|
    D Chief|||137||
    digger2d2|||208||
    Curl52|||324||
    ilovetorun |||190||
    James Howlett|||215||
    corked|||160.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|4|24|200|I did the 10 mile race in 84 minutes which I was delighted with |
    RubyK|||210.35||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||73||
    Mrslow|||68.25||
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|||99||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||||
    tivvo|||||

I'm starting to believe that I can do this marathon thing. The Frank Duffy 10 mile did wonders for my confidence. My legs felt perfect at the end. The only problem being I ripped my nipples to bits (photos to follow!). The Nip guards I wore fell off at the first water station. Just in case I didn't know that I was bleeding, three different race stewards pointed it out to me at the finish line!

milosh wrote: »
    I'm starting to believe that I can do this marathon thing. The Frank Duffy 10 mile did wonders for my confidence.
    Great to hear! :)
    DigiJem wrote: »
    Hope you avoid that cold, loads of people are going around sneezing, must be the Irish summer :pac:
    I've got it at the moment. It pretty much ruined my race yesterday :(

(photos to follow!)

no, honestly, you're okay :eek:

Give the micropore tape a try - it's cheap and easy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

The Wexican|||117||
    rofno1|||141||
    boccy23|4|24|168|Not too bad. Found the Frank Duffy hard as I went out hard and suffered on the hills home. But all a great learning experience for the big days further ahead.|
    brophya2007|||175.3||
    beamgirl|||139||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    D Chief|||137||
    digger2d2|||208||
    Curl52|||324||
    ilovetorun |||190||
    James Howlett|||215||
    corked|||160.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    Milosh|4|24|200|I did the 10 mile race in 84 minutes which I was delighted with |
    RubyK|||210.35||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||73||
    Mrslow|||68.25||
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|||99||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||||
    tivvo|||||

BrokenMan wrote: »
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) - Covered most of the distances up to half marathon. Main PB's are 5K 21:26, 10K 48:14, 10 mile 1 hour 15, Half Marathon 1 hour 46
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant - Following Hal Higdon Intermediate programme. Running 5 day s a week and try to get on the bike one day.

Welcome.
    There's a few of us here on the Hal Higdon intermediate programme.
    Your PB times are very similar to my own...

The only problem being I ripped my nipples to bits (photos to follow!). The Nip guards I wore fell off at the first water station. Just in case I didn't know that I was bleeding, three different race stewards pointed it out to me at the finish line!

Don't listen to RayCun, do post photos, if only to warn the rest of us :)
    and fair play to you for pushing onward.

Don't listen to RayCun, do post photos, if only to warn the rest of us :)
    I agree. :pac:

I also agree with trying the micropore tape for him - time for plan B, this is something that really needs to be sorted soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

The Wexican|||117||
    rofno1|||141||
    boccy23|4|24|168|Not too bad. Found the Frank Duffy hard as I went out hard and suffered on the hills home. But all a great learning experience for the big days further ahead.|
    brophya2007|||175.3||
    beamgirl|||139||
    michellemuncher|||128||
    D Chief|||137||
    digger2d2|||208||
    Curl52|||324||
    ilovetorun |||190||
    James Howlett|||215||
    corked|||160.5||
    Cr17|||||
    MitreSize5|||89||
    RubyK|||210.35||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||73||
    Mrslow|||68.25||
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|||99||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|42|333.5|Good week, highest milage ever. Mini taper for Galway HM coming up|

Advertisement