Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|2|13.6|118.9|one easy run on thurs to test the the knee and one very easy 10 mile in the park. No ill effects thank god|
    The Wexican|7|25|142|Picked up a paid of Nike Lunarglides at the weekend, which I'm hoping will be solution my recent injury problems. Will start breaking them in on the shorter midweek runs|
    rofno1|3|18|159|Skipped midweek longish run as had cold coming on. This helped on ten miles|
    boccy23|4|24|168|Not too bad. Found the Frank Duffy hard as I went out hard and suffered on the hills home. But all a great learning experience for the big days further ahead.|
    brophya2007|4|25|200.3|10m race time 1:37:26. Happy enough with that. Half way through the training plan.|
    beamgirl|||139||
    michellemuncher|1|10|138|10m race time was 1:29:18. It is ok. I cycled 180 miles, mostly around west Ireland. It was great.|
    RayCun|4|26.2|257.2|Just under 81 minutes in the 10 mile, which I'm delighted with. But now I've tired and sore legs and I'm staring down the barrel of a 38 mile week...|
    littlebug|4|20|214.2|not the best of weeks:(|
    meathcountysec|5|29.39|341.93|10 mile race went very well. confidence restored|
    DigiJem|3|20|206|Pretty good week; 10 mile race went well. Here's hoping week 10 goes as well.|
    D Chief|||137||
    digger2d2|4|26|234|step-back week for me that included the 10 miler...Very happy with my time|
    Curl52|3|22|346|Took it easy before the 10 mile race, battery on my watch went on mile 4 which was annoying but still happy with my result of 81:04 but thinking if the watch was working could have knocked off those 4 seconds!|
    ilovetorun |4|36|226|Tough LSR of 17m,found the recovery run of 5m tough as well but all going well :) 20m LSR this week :eek:|
    James Howlett|||215||
    RallyRunner|4|24|180|Good week. Did the Adidas 10 mile and it went well|
    corked|3|30|190.5| Missed one of my runs - v bad motivation after Clonmel Half disaster. Managed to do a good LSR of 15.5 miles - happy enough with that felt another mile in the legs after it.|
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|24|200|I did the 10 mile race in 84 minutes which I was delighted with |
    RubyK|5|44.55|254.90|LSR of 22 miles. Hit the wall at mile 19. Not a pleasant experience at all.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|14|87|This week was a write off with parties etc. So didn't get my 10 LSR in, but hopefully back on plan from tonight|
    Mrslow|4|24|92.25|Major setback on Saturday, hoping for good news from Physio:o|
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|||99||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|4|25|300|Longford HM next weekend|
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|42|333.5|Good week, highest milage ever. Mini taper for Galway HM coming up|

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

littlebug wrote: »
    not my best week :o I just felt really really tired all week. Whether that was down to the 13 miler last weekend or a lot of travelling this week I don't know.. maybe a combination. I'm in mini taper mode for the HM next Sunday so hopefully I'll be back on track then. Nerves are kicking in!

The miles are really starting to add up, and 'tired' is becoming my default setting. How many weeks until we taper?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

William72|2|13.6|118.9|one easy run on thurs to test the the knee and one very easy 10 mile in the park. No ill effects thank god|
    The Wexican|7|25|142|Picked up a paid of Nike Lunarglides at the weekend, which I'm hoping will be solution my recent injury problems. Will start breaking them in on the shorter midweek runs|
    rofno1|3|18|159|Skipped midweek longish run as had cold coming on. This helped on ten miles|
    boccy23|4|24|168|Not too bad. Found the Frank Duffy hard as I went out hard and suffered on the hills home. But all a great learning experience for the big days further ahead.|
    brophya2007|4|25|200.3|10m race time 1:37:26. Happy enough with that. Half way through the training plan.|
    beamgirl|2|14|153|bad week for me just wreaked tired|
    michellemuncher|1|10|138|10m race time was 1:29:18. It is ok. I cycled 180 miles, mostly around west Ireland. It was great.|
    RayCun|4|26.2|257.2|Just under 81 minutes in the 10 mile, which I'm delighted with. But now I've tired and sore legs and I'm staring down the barrel of a 38 mile week...|
    DigiJem|3|20|206|Pretty good week; 10 mile race went well. Here's hoping week 10 goes as well.|
    D Chief|||137||
    digger2d2|4|26|234|step-back week for me that included the 10 miler...Very happy with my time|
    Curl52|3|22|346|Took it easy before the 10 mile race, battery on my watch went on mile 4 which was annoying but still happy with my result of 81:04 but thinking if the watch was working could have knocked off those 4 seconds!|
    ilovetorun |4|36|226|Tough LSR of 17m,found the recovery run of 5m tough as well but all going well :) 20m LSR this week :eek:|
    James Howlett|||215||
    corked|3|30|190.5| Missed one of my runs - v bad motivation after Clonmel Half disaster. Managed to do a good LSR of 15.5 miles - happy enough with that felt another mile in the legs after it.|
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|24|200|I did the 10 mile race in 84 minutes which I was delighted with |
    RubyK|5|44.55|254.90|LSR of 22 miles. Hit the wall at mile 19. Not a pleasant experience at all.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|14|87|This week was a write off with parties etc. So didn't get my 10 LSR in, but hopefully back on plan from tonight|
    Mrslow|4|24|92.25|Major setback on Saturday, hoping for good news from Physio:o|
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|||99||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|42|333.5|Good week, highest milage ever. Mini taper for Galway HM coming up|

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Great to hear all the different exploits of various people, apart from those who are struggling with injuries/have had to pull out. Unfortunately it really just comes with the territory and some of us will be lucky/unlucky when it comes to picking up/avoiding injuries. I just think when you do pick up an injury you really begin to appreciate how fortunate you are if you can stay injury free and you won't take it for granted. Anyway, if you do have to pull out, there will always be other races, keep the faith and start back when the injuries clear up.
    On a seperate note and I am a complete novice at this lark, but just wondering what are people's strategies in relation to drinking/eating during races? Do you actually stop to have a drink/have it while running etc. When/how often do you take a drink during the race? Favourite food/gels to take during a race and when to take? Appreciate this will be a personal thing but interested to hear peoples views.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    On a seperate note and I am a complete novice at this lark, but just wondering what are people's strategies in relation to drinking/eating during races? Do you actually stop to have a drink/have it while running etc. When/how often do you take a drink during the race? Favourite food/gels to take during a race and when to take? Appreciate this will be a personal thing but interested to hear peoples views.

If your drink is in a bottle, it's pretty easy to drink it on the move. Gels and some sweets are pretty easy to have on the move too.

My strategy for DCM last year:

- Drink at every water station (they are about every 3 miles)
    - Gels every 50 minutes, or nearest water station to that (at 10 min/mile pace that's roughly 5, 10, 15, 20 miles - intended taking my last one at 22-23, but couldn't stomach it at all and I ended up eating half a Mars bar I took from a randomer who had a bucket of sweets near the RDS instead)

I favour slightly thicker gels (Powerbar/Gu etc) washed down with loads of water. They have to be fruit flavoured (chocolate, vanilla or coffee gels are a big no-no) and not isotonic. That's a very personal preference though, that's one thing you really have to work out for yourself (that's part of the challenge of your long runs too). Some people will prefer totally different ones, some people will go with something like jelly beans or wine gums, some people will have a friend at a known point on the course with flat Coke...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Mrslow - hope you got some good news from the physio, and you'll be out pounding the roads soon.

Mitresize5 - Sorry to hear you've had to pull out. Best of luck with the future training for the Connemarathon.

TheTubes - Welcome to the asylum, we nearly have control....

For Lad GAGA's question, I'm only a newbie to this running lark, but a few weeks ago I went to Wheelworx inLiffey Valley and piocked up one of each of a few different gels to see which one worked for me. The ones I've gone for are the High5 ones, easy to take. I found the some of the others very gloopy and hard to swallow.
    For my LSRs I carry a bottle with me and take a swig every few miles. No idea what to do for the marathon itself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I was recommended a fantastic physio by one of the organisers of the Dunshaughlin 10k, she listened intently then asked lots of questions, examined and tested me - Then she tortured me for a half an hour stretching my Illiotibial band, hamstring and other issues discovered in my hip/ass area. I'm in pain but feel a new man, she has assured me I'll be fine to run:D. The last guy I went to spent 10 mins examining 5 mins telling me how to stretch and the other 15 trying to sell orthotics and he was more expensive then my current one.

I want to shout her contact details from the rooftops;)

Chinguetti - thanks for the lovely post, you're a gent and I hope to see you on Saturday morning

Mitre - Get a second opinion, apparently 'runners knee' covers a myriad of issues, it can't hurt

Everyone else - I just want to thank you all for the support because I was preparing myself for the worst all day and the well wishes helped enormously.

15 miles Saturday morning at the Kockmaroon gate of the Phoenix Park - 9am sharp 10 min mile pace hope to see more of you this week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

D Chief|||137||
    James Howlett|4|23|238|Bad week for training as I missed one session and cut two others short yet ironically a good week for training paying off as I managed the Frank Duffy 10 mile in 68:45|
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|||99||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    tivvo|||||

Last week my comments section finished with "Also doing Frank Duffy." Pretty pleased that no one coped on to slang me off.

On another note I've been thinking about the Half Marathon. I could go hell for leather and attempt a good time but Rainbow Kirby's advice about a dress-rehearsal for the marathon struck a chord with me. I will probably use the half-marathon as an opportunity to go at my pmp for that distance and get the practice in.

I didn't think music would make such a difference, though obviously you are training very effectively too. What was the tempo/pace pattern of the tunes you chose for the race? For example, did you start out with a high tempo tune, flatten off then bring up the tempo halfway? I don't listen to music while running, though I am thinking about trying it out.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I start off with music that puts me in a good mood, songs with lyrics. As a race progress I have music tracks with no lyrics and just upbeat, fast music (although not dance/ trance music!). It's hard to explain I'm just really into music and it has always been a motivator for me.

Rainbow Kirby, if your name relates to what I think it relates to, you should appreciate this track I was listening to on saturday.

Fantastic! :D

(and you're right, I did pick my name due to a love of Super Smash Bros Melee)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

D Chief|||137||
    James Howlett|4|23|238|Bad week for training as I missed one session and cut two others short yet ironically a good week for training paying off as I managed the Frank Duffy 10 mile in 68:45|
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|1|6.25|105.25|Cold messed me about last week. Only did a slow 10km today|
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    tivvo|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Ok i have one for the class.

Its raining out when you run. I noticed today i got hit by some really heavy showers. It felt like i was running on water though.

Is it best to stop and try and empty out your runners/socks or just go with it?

I did just go with it...

If that was me, I'd just keep going. It would annoy me to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Just have to say well done to everybody who did the 10 mile race - some cracking times and pbs there. Hopefully I will be back to join ye for the half!!!

BTW that table makes for some impressive reading - you should all be really happy with the progress you're making (and some in spite of niggles, injuries and life in general!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Mr slow, excellent news and don't ever lose that phone number, a good physio is important for both your legs and your mind.

I'll be at Knocknamaroon at 9 on Saturday all going well so hope we can round up as many as possible for whatever distance everyone wants to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

D Chief|4|27.2|164.2|8-day week. Postponed LSR to Monday night cause of the Dublin v Cork semi-final, but did 11.8 miles in the Park after work this evening. Also, did a 4 mile race in Nenagh on Friday.|
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|1|6.25|105.25|Cold messed me about last week. Only did a slow 10km today|
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    tivvo|||||

I was down in Nenagh again for a couple of days Thursday to Sat and there was a 4 mile race on Friday evening, which fitted perfectly with the scheduled 4 miles, so I ran in it. Finished in 32:06 which I was happy with. As usual, I went off too quick (7:20 for first mile).

Then with travelling back to Dublin on Saturday and the Dubs match on Sunday (Jaysus, they so nearly did it!) I left the LSR until tonight. Felt grand during the run, but got real shivery when I got home. After shower I put on a sweatshirt and a windcheater and the laptop on my knees and I have gradually warmed up.

Got some micropore tape (or what the chemist said was the same stuff, just a different brand name) and it has worked well on the nipple problem. No bother with them on 11.8 miles this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

mrslow wrote: »
    I was recommended a fantastic physio by one of the organisers of the Dunshaughlin 10k, she listened intently then asked lots of questions, examined and tested me - Then she tortured me for a half an hour stretching my Illiotibial band, hamstring and other issues discovered in my hip/ass area. I'm in pain but feel a new man, she has assured me I'll be fine to run:D. The last guy I went to spent 10 mins examining 5 mins telling me how to stretch and the other 15 trying to sell orthotics and he was more expensive then my current one.

Chinguetti - thanks for the lovely post, you're a gent and I hope to see you on Saturday morning

Mitre - Get a second opinion, apparently 'runners knee' covers a myriad of issues, it can't hurt

Everyone else - I just want to thank you all for the support because I was preparing myself for the worst all day and the well wishes helped enormously.

15 miles Saturday morning at the Kockmaroon gate of the Phoenix Park - 9am sharp 10 min mile pace hope to see more of you this week:)

Fantastic news mrslow - I'm a member of the physio appreciation society myself this week - its so good to be back!
    Agent J wrote: »
    Ok i have one for the class.

Its raining out when you run. I noticed today i got hit by some really heavy showers. It felt like i was running on water though.

Is it best to stop and try and empty out your runners/socks or just go with it?

I did just go with it...

got caught out in a 20 min downpour yesterday - was the wettest run for me yet - did feel like I was running on sponges but didn't see any point in stopping - knew I would only start to shiver if I did.... was lovely in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Lots to say and I dont know how to put multiple quotes into my reply so bare with me!

Beamgirl/Littlebug-I was the exact same re:tiredness during my stepback week. I didnt expect to be so tired as I thought the week was much easier than the previous week. The following week I was back to normal though, I cant figure it out either but all I can say is that the fatique only lasted a few days and I was right as rain soon after.

Lad Gaga-I'm new to this game too. I live out in the sticks so no shops to duck into for water so I have become very organised and drop a bottle of water at a certain point (making sure its up high and in a plastic bag-not too keen on a dog hiking up its back leg and peeing on it!!) I carry a Power Bar gel for my LSR, personal choice I know but the tropical fruit flavour is as good as they go. When I get back I take a Lucozade Recovery drink as soon as possible-its a good mixture of protein and carbs. Last week I tried Chocolate Milk after my LSR and it was yum!

AgentJ-Running in the rain-I just go with it. stopping and starting would only annoy me. I try to embrace it as much as I can-I prefer to run in the winter anyway.

MrSlow-:D:D delighted for you-bet you are relieved!

D Chief- 'Shivery after your LSR'-ditto! Its happened twice to me even though I try to take as much water as a I can after the run. I have no appetite but I try to force a slice of toast down. Not sure what else I can do??

Sorry for the long post :o

shazkea wrote: »
    Just have to say well done to everybody who did the 10 mile race - some cracking times and pbs there. Hopefully I will be back to join ye for the half!!!

BTW that table makes for some impressive reading - you should all be really happy with the progress you're making (and some in spite of niggles, injuries and life in general!)

How goes the recovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Hi there
    Mr slow thats great about the physio, happy days, I will be at knockmarron on saturday, just wondering which gate that is again?

Should have a baby sitter for nacho junior organised

Sorry to hear someone , was it mitre 5 had to drop out , but he will be back im sure. I feel really tired after the frank duffy, really tired and really hungry!

The shivery thing after the training shouldnt be ignored, a sign of dehydration and hypoglycemia, next stop would be fainting I presume, saw a guy collapse at a triathalon on tv last week, he was an elite pro, and went white and collapsed, it was awful ! his brother ran past him and didnt even look back, that was a bit bold,,,, Anyways Im way off topic

Will you guys let me know where Knockmarron gate is, Ive a feeling its the cknock side of the park ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Knockmaroon gate is in the corner by the furry glen

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Would love to meet ye all for the LSR this weekend but phoenix park is a bit out of reach at 9am ;)

Anyone doing the Athlone 3/4 marathon, we could meet at that and treat it as an LSR?

Anyone doing the Athlone 3/4 marathon, we could meet at that and treat it as an LSR?

I'm in two minds about that race.
    It is absolutely a great idea and well timed but €50 is a bit steep after paying for the Full Marathon and the Race Series as well.

On a side note ipods are not allowed for this race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

How goes the recovery?

Will let you know this evening Mr Slow - going to attempt a couple of miles this evening and see how I get on. Will be my first time running in over 4 weeks if all goes to plan so fingers crossed!!

Good to hear physio is working wonders with you - the pain is def worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

RayCun wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, mitre. Good luck with the Connemara training when it kicks off

x2

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Yay, you must give me the details, it would be handy to have her in my diary just incase i need. Can you PM me her details. Delighted your on the mend.

9am Saturday, i haven't a clue of gates but i'm hoping my running buddy is coming and he knows where he's going. Will be lovely to meet a few from boards, how many so far? There's 2 of us anyway.
    On a different note: is it ok to go at slower pace that normal, i normally do around 8-9 minute miles, although i haven't done 15 miles ever so maybe good to do 10 min miles??? Sorry it's all a bit new to me...

Mrslow, i hope you've measured that 15 miles exactly...and yep i've got the tow rope and passport ready:P

JEmily wrote: »
    Yay, you must give me the details, it would be handy to have her in my diary just incase i need. Can you PM me her details. Delighted your on the mend.

9am Saturday, i haven't a clue of gates but i'm hoping my running buddy is coming and he knows where he's going. Will be lovely to meet a few from boards, how many so far? There's 2 of us anyway.
    On a different note: is it ok to go at slower pace that normal, i normally do around 8-9 minute miles, although i haven't done 15 miles ever so maybe good to do 10 min miles??? Sorry it's all a bit new to me...

Mrslow, i hope you've measured that 15 miles exactly...and yep i've got the tow rope and passport ready:P

The park run is always at 10 min miles so you're fine there! We have 6 now! I'll pm her details and mine just incase your friend can't make it.

shazkea wrote: »
    Will let you know this evening Mr Slow - going to attempt a couple of miles this evening and see how I get on. Will be my first time running in over 4 weeks if all goes to plan so fingers crossed!!

Good to hear physio is working wonders with you - the pain is def worth it :D

I've my toes and fingers crossed for you!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Yep I signed up for this one, the timing is perfect for the 20 mile LSR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Hope ye don't mind if I join ye for the 15 miler in the park. As I am a night owl I will be running like a snail at 9am! 9pm or 12am are runs I am more used to ;)

Advertisement