Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

mrslow wrote: »
    discovered in my hip/ass area. I'm in pain but feel a new man, she has assured me I'll be fine to run:D.

Great news mrslow, delighted for you! Enjoy the 15 miles on Saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

DigiJem wrote: »
    Yep I signed up for this one, the timing is perfect for the 20 mile LSR

Good idea alright! hmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Hope ye don't mind if I join ye for the 15 miler in the park. As I am a night owl I will be running like a snail at 9am! 9pm or 12am are runs I am more used to ;)

You're more than welcome Michelle, just PM'd you my mobile. I only started running in the morning recently when I realised what time DCM starts - It's not as bad as you would imagine.

Plenty of pasta on Friday night and no fluids for an hour before the run;) The park is big but with all of the people there on a Saturday morning there's nowhere to hide:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

I took everyones advice and didnt run the 10 miler on Saturday
    Well done to all who did, some great times

I was there cheering you on along the sidelines.

I have a physio appointment for Thusday in Balinteer
    Going to be interested to find out what he says.
    Hope it turns out like Mr Slow and not mitre5

Thinking of going for a 3 miler tonight
    Its 2 weeks tonight since my last run...can I leave it any longer

Strange question time...but what do you wear to the physios?
    Turn up in my running gear or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|2|13.6|118.9|one easy run on thurs to test the the knee and one very easy 10 mile in the park. No ill effects thank god|
    The Wexican|7|25|142|Picked up a paid of Nike Lunarglides at the weekend, which I'm hoping will be solution my recent injury problems. Will start breaking them in on the shorter midweek runs|
    rofno1|3|18|159|Skipped midweek longish run as had cold coming on. This helped on ten miles|
    boccy23|4|24|168|Not too bad. Found the Frank Duffy hard as I went out hard and suffered on the hills home. But all a great learning experience for the big days further ahead.|
    brophya2007|4|25|200.3|10m race time 1:37:26. Happy enough with that. Half way through the training plan.|
    beamgirl|2|14|153|bad week for me just wreaked tired|
    michellemuncher|1|10|138|10m race time was 1:29:18. It is ok. I cycled 180 miles, mostly around west Ireland. It was great.|
    RayCun|4|26.2|257.2|Just under 81 minutes in the 10 mile, which I'm delighted with. But now I've tired and sore legs and I'm staring down the barrel of a 38 mile week...|
    littlebug|4|20|214.2|not the best of weeks:(|
    meathcountysec|5|29.39|341.93|10 mile race went very well. confidence restored|
    DigiJem|3|20|206|Pretty good week; 10 mile race went well. Here's hoping week 10 goes as well.|
    8ofSpades|0|0|119|you aint getting rid of me yet...|
    D Chief|4|27.2|164.2|8-day week. Postponed LSR to Monday night cause of the Dublin v Cork semi-final, but did 11.8 miles in the Park after work this evening. Also, did a 4 mile race in Nenagh on Friday.|
    digger2d2|4|26|234|step-back week for me that included the 10 miler...Very happy with my time|
    Curl52|3|22|346|Took it easy before the 10 mile race, battery on my watch went on mile 4 which was annoying but still happy with my result of 81:04 but thinking if the watch was working could have knocked off those 4 seconds!|
    ilovetorun |4|36|226|Tough LSR of 17m,found the recovery run of 5m tough as well but all going well :) 20m LSR this week :eek:|
    James Howlett|4|23|238|Bad week for training as I missed one session and cut two others short yet ironically a good week for training paying off as I managed the Frank Duffy 10 mile in 68:45|
    RallyRunner|4|24|180|Good week. Did the Adidas 10 mile and it went well|
    corked|3|30|190.5| Missed one of my runs - v bad motivation after Clonmel Half disaster. Managed to do a good LSR of 15.5 miles - happy enough with that felt another mile in the legs after it.|
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|24|200|I did the 10 mile race in 84 minutes which I was delighted with |
    RubyK|5|44.55|254.90|LSR of 22 miles. Hit the wall at mile 19. Not a pleasant experience at all.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|14|87|This week was a write off with parties etc. So didn't get my 10 LSR in, but hopefully back on plan from tonight|
    Mrslow|4|24|92.25|Major setback on Saturday, hoping for good news from Physio:o|
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|1|6.25|105.25|Cold messed me about last week. Only did a slow 10km today|
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|4|25|300|Longford HM next weekend|
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|42|333.5|Good week, highest milage ever. Mini taper for Galway HM coming up|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

8ofSpades wrote: »
    Strange question time...but what do you wear to the physios?
    Turn up in my running gear or what?
    T-shirt and shorts should be fine. I'd advise you to bring your running shoes too so the physio can check those out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Ok this is my suggestion for the 15 miles on Saturday. I've tried to avoid running on the same road twice, though it is unavaoidable at times. It will also take us out of the park, but I can vouch the run through the National Memorial Gardens, and out along by the river to Chapelizod is a lovely route.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/phoenix%20park/513128266902258297

Plus if i get tired by Chapelizod, I only have a 2 minute walk home :p

Ok this is my suggestion for the 15 miles on Saturday. I've tried to avoid running on the same road twice, though it is unavaoidable at times. It will also take us out of the park, but I can vouch the run through the National Memorial Gardens, and out along by the river to Chapelizod is a lovely route.

Looks good, plenty of hills though:( Chinguetti is planning a route too so maybe put it to the vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Hi All,

Did my 4 mile run tonight (well, 4.64 to be exact) and at 9:20 per mile pace it felt so so easy after the 8:05/mile pace in the Park on Saturday...I was bouncing along not a care in the world and singing out loud.....Only really realised it when peope at a bus stop gave me funny looks :eek:

Mr Slow.....I might meet up with you guys in the park on Saturday...Need to do 18 miles and have had enough of Tallaght, Firhouse, Templeogue, Harold Cross, Terenure etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

That looks good, you're certainly spicing it up with the hills ;) The only suggestion I'd have is to continue the last 2 miles along the outside border and finish up where we started. The bit along Farmleigh wall is my favourite section of the park!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The Wexican's route is fine by me but can you run through at mile 12? I've tried to run through the gardens/playground at mile 12 and never been able to so if you can show me the secret path, i'ld be glad.

I'ld suggest that a water drop take place at the Chapelizod gate at mile 1 as it will be a handy boost come mile 10/11.

Also Wexican, you can't bail out in Chapelizod or we're all coming in after the 15 miles for tea. Hungry runners require a lot of food:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|2|13.6|118.9|one easy run on thurs to test the the knee and one very easy 10 mile in the park. No ill effects thank god|
    The Wexican|7|25|142|Picked up a paid of Nike Lunarglides at the weekend, which I'm hoping will be solution my recent injury problems. Will start breaking them in on the shorter midweek runs|
    rofno1|3|18|159|Skipped midweek longish run as had cold coming on. This helped on ten miles|
    boccy23|4|24|168|Not too bad. Found the Frank Duffy hard as I went out hard and suffered on the hills home. But all a great learning experience for the big days further ahead.|
    brophya2007|4|25|200.3|10m race time 1:37:26. Happy enough with that. Half way through the training plan.|
    beamgirl|2|14|153|bad week for me just wreaked tired|
    michellemuncher|1|10|138|10m race time was 1:29:18. It is ok. I cycled 180 miles, mostly around west Ireland. It was great.|
    RayCun|4|26.2|257.2|Just under 81 minutes in the 10 mile, which I'm delighted with. But now I've tired and sore legs and I'm staring down the barrel of a 38 mile week...|
    littlebug|4|20|214.2|not the best of weeks:(|
    meathcountysec|5|29.39|341.93|10 mile race went very well. confidence restored|
    DigiJem|3|20|206|Pretty good week; 10 mile race went well. Here's hoping week 10 goes as well.|
    8ofSpades|0|0|119|you aint getting rid of me yet...|
    D Chief|4|27.2|164.2|8-day week. Postponed LSR to Monday night cause of the Dublin v Cork semi-final, but did 11.8 miles in the Park after work this evening. Also, did a 4 mile race in Nenagh on Friday.|
    digger2d2|4|26|234|step-back week for me that included the 10 miler...Very happy with my time|
    Curl52|3|22|346|Took it easy before the 10 mile race, battery on my watch went on mile 4 which was annoying but still happy with my result of 81:04 but thinking if the watch was working could have knocked off those 4 seconds!|
    ilovetorun |4|36|226|Tough LSR of 17m,found the recovery run of 5m tough as well but all going well :) 20m LSR this week :eek:|
    James Howlett|4|23|238|Bad week for training as I missed one session and cut two others short yet ironically a good week for training paying off as I managed the Frank Duffy 10 mile in 68:45|
    RallyRunner|4|24|180|Good week. Did the Adidas 10 mile and it went well|
    corked|3|30|190.5| Missed one of my runs - v bad motivation after Clonmel Half disaster. Managed to do a good LSR of 15.5 miles - happy enough with that felt another mile in the legs after it.|
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|24|200|I did the 10 mile race in 84 minutes which I was delighted with |
    RubyK|5|44.55|254.90|LSR of 22 miles. Hit the wall at mile 19. Not a pleasant experience at all.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|14|87|This week was a write off with parties etc. So didn't get my 10 LSR in, but hopefully back on plan from tonight|
    Mrslow|4|24|92.25|Major setback on Saturday, hoping for good news from Physio:o|
    marrona|||199.32||
    Agent J|2|16.25|115.25|Good Solid Ten miler this evening. Though left it a bit late|
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|4|25|300|Longford HM next weekend|
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|42|333.5|Good week, highest milage ever. Mini taper for Galway HM coming up|

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Did my 4 mile run tonight (well, 4.64 to be exact) and at 9:20 per mile pace it felt so so easy after the 8:05/mile pace in the Park on Saturday...I was bouncing along not a care in the world and singing out loud.....Only really realised it when peope at a bus stop gave me funny looks :eek:

Mr Slow.....I might meet up with you guys in the park on Saturday...Need to do 18 miles and have had enough of Tallaght, Firhouse, Templeogue, Harold Cross, Terenure etc. etc.

See you then Digger!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

That looks good, you're certainly spicing it up with the hills ;) The only suggestion I'd have is to continue the last 2 miles along the outside border and finish up where we started. The bit along Farmleigh wall is my favourite section of the park!

I haven't a clue where i'm going, so i'll agree with whoever wins the vote. I might just find my way to the meeting point, thanks for number mrslow...hope i don't have to call for directions:o

I'm really looking forward to some company and different surroundings. Can i put my vote in for some hills...want to really say, "no hills", but i do feel they help build up the aul legs and prepare you down the line.

Myself and my new running buddy coming along so i hope we can keep up.

JEmily wrote: »
    I haven't a clue where i'm going, so i'll agree with whoever wins the vote. I might just find my way to the meeting point, thanks for number mrslow...hope i don't have to call for directions:o

I'm really looking forward to some company and different surroundings. Can i put my vote in for some hills...want to really say, "no hills", but i do feel they help build up the aul legs and prepare you down the line.

Myself and my new running buddy coming along so i hope we can keep up.

Don't worry about calling, I gave you the number so that you could use it ;)

F'n Hills Bah Humbug:P

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Spurs101!

Following thread with interest over past while, also signed up for DCM.

May i ask why are ye interested in doing hills for LSR ? (I do some hills but not on LSR) Not from Dublin and I thought Dublin was a very flat marathon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It depends on what you're comparing it to, I suppose. Fewer hills than Connemara, more than Rotterdam :)
    There are a couple of hills, at Chapelizod and Clonskeagh, and a drag up to Walkinstown. Plus, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Spurs101! wrote: »
    May i ask why are ye interested in doing hills for LSR ? (I do some hills but not on LSR) Not from Dublin and I thought Dublin was a very flat marathon ?
    Hill training is good for overall leg strength. :)

Spurs101! wrote: »
    Following thread with interest over past while, also signed up for DCM.

There's a few rises, nothing major on the DCM course - I suppose if you train to run the distance on the flat then that's what you can do - if you do the distance with hills, then running the same distance flat becomes an easier task.

I'm open to correction as always.;)

Raycun, you still flying solo on Saturday? - Chinguetti is running 20 too!

• Advertisement

Yep, agree with all the above re: hills, i find the more hill work i do the better. Improves overall fitness, increases leg strength, improves the distance my legs will keep going, makes flat runs a hell of alot easier...need i go on:) But build up slow and pace, pace, pace!!!

I haven't entered for the DCM yet, i've given myself the 18/20 mile marker and then enter. Don't know why but it's motivating me to keep going, then by the time i've registered the DCM is just there in my grasp. Hopefully. Anyway, enough rambling just incase you haven't registered it goes up next Wednesday:mad:

European Union Resident
    Rest of World
    before 17:00 C.E.T. August 1st
    70 Euros
    90 Euros
    before 17:00 C.E.T. September 1st
    80 Euros
    before 17:00 C.E.T. October 4th
    90 Euros

Yeah, but Chinguetti will be running faster than me!
    I'll probably meet up with you guys along the way somewhere - maybe even at the start if the timing works out - and run alongside for a while. But I'm still feeling tired after saturday, and this is my first 20, so I want to be in control of my run.

Yep, agree with all the above re: hills, i find the more hill work i do the better. Improves overall fitness, increases leg strength, improves the distance my legs will keep going, makes flat runs a hell of alot easier...need i go on:) But build up slow and pace, pace, pace!!!

I haven't entered for the DCM yet, i've given myself the 18/20 mile marker and then enter. Don't know why but it's motivating me to keep going, then by the time i've registered the DCM is just there in my grasp. Hopefully. Anyway, enough rambling just incase you haven't registered it goes up next Wednesday:mad:
    European Union Resident
    Rest of World
    before 17:00 C.E.T. August 1st
    70 Euros
    90 Euros
    before 17:00 C.E.T. September 1st
    80 Euros
    before 17:00 C.E.T. October 4th
    90 Euros

Go ahead and register!!!!

You know you're gonna do it:D

Weather for Saturday's LSR

Saturday
    Day weather
    3.gif?v45_8
    Sunny Intervals

18°C 64°F Max. Day West North Westerly10mph 16km/h

RayCun wrote: »
    Yeah, but Chinguetti will be running faster than me!
    I'll probably meet up with you guys along the way somewhere - maybe even at the start if the timing works out - and run alongside for a while. But I'm still feeling tired after saturday, and this is my first 20, so I want to be in control of my run.

I'll be in the barely dragging my arse along pace group which knowing my luck will have population 1, have to bring a print out of the route for when I get lost ;)

I've probably asked you this already, but do you have a target time yet for the marathon, and planned paces based on that?

Go ahead and register!!!!

You know you're gonna do it:D

I think it's become a bit of an obsession now, like i'll tempt fate if i register before what i originally proposed. How's about i'll see how i get on with physio tonight, if she gives me the all-clear and then i do my 15 miler with you guys Saturday i promise i'll register before the next price increase i.e. next Wednesday. I'll buy myself a stiif drink with the spare 10EUR to numb the pain of what i've just done!

RayCun wrote: »
    I've probably asked you this already, but do you have a target time yet for the marathon, and planned paces based on that?

My target is quite specific, I want to run across the line!

Seriously, given I couldn't run a half mile 5 months ago I'd love a 4:10 but I'm realistic so 4:25ish?

My rest pace is 10 min mile if that makes sense so I would imagine the first mile or so will be 8.5 slowing to 9 for miles 3/5 with some 10/11 min miles up to the 10 mile mark - hopefully pick it up between 10 - 15 miles to 9 min pace and then survive post 20 at whatever pace is possible. On the day anything could happen:D

If anyone can understand the above, please explain it to me:)

I think it's become a bit of an obsession now, like i'll tempt fate if i register before what i originally proposed. How's about i'll see how i get on with physio tonight, if she gives me the all-clear and then i do my 15 miler with you guys Saturday i promise i'll register before the next price increase i.e. next Wednesday. I'll buy myself a stiif drink with the spare 10EUR to numb the pain of what i've just done!

You'll get two drinks for a €10, what about your 'wingman'?

• Advertisement

You'll get two drinks for a €10, what about your 'wingman'?

Deal.

Advertisement