Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

mrslow wrote: »
    My rest pace is 10 min mile if that makes sense so I would imagine the first mile or so will be 8.5 slowing to 9 for miles 3/5 with some 10/11 min miles up to the 10 mile mark - hopefully pick it up between 10 - 15 miles to 9 min pace and then survive post 20 at whatever pace is possible. On the day anything could happen:D

You're really better off trying to keep a consistent pace throughout. It's easy to go fast at the beginning, but it burns off energy you'll need more near the end.

Are you in the half? you could try running in the 2.00 pace group, that's a consistent 9 minute mile (roughly), it would give you a good idea of what to do on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RayCun wrote: »
    You're really better off trying to keep a consistent pace throughout.
    +1

That was my strategy for DCM last year and it worked really well. My HM splits were only about 75 seconds apart in the end, if I remember correctly. (just under 2:12 and just over 2:13)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

But I'm still feeling tired after saturday, and this is my first 20, so I want to be in control of my run.

Hey Ray,

If you don't mind my asking are you following Hal's Intermediate Programme?
    And if so what is your desired time for the big kahuna?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

You're really better off trying to keep a consistent pace throughout. It's easy to go fast at the beginning, but it burns off energy you'll need more near the end.

Are you in the half? you could try running in the 2.00 pace group, that's a consistent 9 minute mile (roughly), it would give you a good idea of what to do on the day.

No joy, training plan has me down to run 18 LSR that day

I'm planning to run with the sub 4 pacers in the marathon. If the day goes well, I'll be feeling good at the top of the hill in Clonskeagh and start picking up the pace for the last 6 miles. If the day goes not so well, I'll be hanging onto their balloons and staggering over in 3.59.59 :) The pacers will be running at 9 minute mile pace, give or take a few seconds

I'm more or less following the Novice 2 plan, but I've been increasing the LSR miles by 1 or 2 miles every week. I wasn't happy with only having one 20 mile run in the programme. Also, I started a week early to give myself a week for injury/sickness/whatever, I think I'll be using it for the half marathon instead.

mrslow - if you book the half and the marathon together, you'll save an extra fiver. And running a Half-marathon is probably as good for your training as an 18 mile LSR

• Advertisement

I'm planning to run with the sub 4 pacers in the marathon. If the day goes well, I'll be feeling good at the top of the hill in Clonskeagh and start picking up the pace for the last 6 miles. If the day goes not so well, I'll be hanging onto their balloons and staggering over in 3.59.59 :) The pacers will be running at 9 minute mile pace, give or take a few seconds

I'm more or less following the Novice 2 plan, but I've been increasing the LSR miles by 1 or 2 miles every week. I wasn't happy with only having one 20 mile run in the programme. Also, I started a week early to give myself a week for injury/sickness/whatever, I think I'll be using it for the half marathon instead.

mrslow - if you book the half and the marathon together, you'll save an extra fiver.

Unlike my 'toe in the water' friend who shall remain nameless;) I've already signed up for the marathon:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Unlike my 'toe in the water' friend who shall remain nameless;) I've already signed up for the marathon:D

Ouch, maow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ray Cun, i'll be doing 19 or 20 miles myself at whatever pace you want on Saturday so don't worry, i'm not going to run at full tilt. I did that last Saturday in the 10 miler so the legs are having an easy week this week.

Mr slow, running in the half would be as a good as doing a lsr that day as you'll learn valuable stuff that no training will give you such as pacing in a group off people you don't know, running in a huge crowd, race day prep as in per/post race. And of course the free tech t-shirt and the satisfaction of doing it.

I started a week early to give myself a week for injury/sickness/whatever, I think I'll be using it for the half marathon instead.

mrslow - if you book the half and the marathon together, you'll save an extra fiver. And running a Half-marathon is probably as good for your training as an 18 mile LSR

Mmm, should have done that too, the extra week is a good idea...bit late now:rolleyes:.

I'd like to do the half marathon, mmmm, you can register up to next Wednesday too. Think i need a prep run before D Day. Pity the schedule clashes with our 18 miler. But your probably right, it won't do us any harm to do half instead of 18:confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

No joy, training plan has me down to run 18 LSR that day

I would recommend running the half, it will give you a great indicator of how you are going. Maybe swap weeks around a little to get your 18 miler in the week before and allow a stepback week after the half.

Racing half distance will definitely stand to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I agree with all the above, racing a long distance race is generally better than a LSR when the option is one or the other... If you're really worried about the low mileage that day you could race the half in the morning and do 2-3 miles very slowly in the evening if you feel up to it, but the experience of the half will definitely stand to you come DCM.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Ray Cun, i'll be doing 19 or 20 miles myself at whatever pace you want on Saturday so don't worry, i'm not going to run at full tilt. I did that last Saturday in the 10 miler so the legs are having an easy week this week.

I'm down for a 19mile this sunday and my first 20 next week.
    Would love to join you guys for an LSR at some stage over the coming weeks but unfortunately I'm not around this saturday, stupid work making me work overtime.

Some time in the future maybe?

I'm down for a 19mile this sunday and my first 20 next week.
    Would love to join you guys for an LSR at some stage over the coming weeks but unfortunately I'm not around this saturday, stupid work making me work overtime.

Some time in the future maybe?

The more the merrier!

JEmily wrote: »
    Ouch, maow...

You just gave yourself away, tut tut:P

Mr slow, running in the half would be as a good as doing a lsr that day as you'll learn valuable stuff that no training will give you such as pacing in a group off people you don't know, running in a huge crowd, race day prep as in per/post race. And of course the free tech t-shirt and the satisfaction of doing it.

I'll peruse it some more.......ok I'm in, what about you wigmissus?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Regarding the half, was thinking of giving this one a miss and going for the 20 mile in Athlone instead.

Regarding times and pace I would have thought to get within your time you would need to have a bit of leeway by the time you get to the 20 mile mark that way when the pain comes you could drop off alittle. I did the Enniscorthy half in 1.54, and my thinking was if I could keep to this pace to the 20 mile mark I could drop back to a 10 min pace for the final few which might get me just under the 4 hour mark

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

With only 6 weeks to go before the tapering I need to shuffle the long runs to get in the half marathon.

Considering I did the 10 mile race the weekend just gone is the following ok or a bit ambitious?

Week 1 - 15
    Week 2 - 16
    Week 3 - 18
    Week 4 - 13.1 (Dublin Half)
    Week 5 - 14
    Week 6 - 20 (Athlone 3/4?????)

chinguetti - thanks, but I know I'll be speeding up, checking my watch, and slowing down again all the way around. If I'm with someone else, I'll speed up more, and slow myself down more often - which will be annoying enough for me, ten times more so for anyone running with me! But now that I know what you look like, if I bump into you in the park I'll do a few miles with you (and for those few miles I won't look at my watch!)

Wexican - everyone, everyone, everyone says that you should try to run even splits (or even slightly negative splits) in a marathon. Start at a pace you can keep up for the whole race, and do any faster running at the end. The trouble with going out faster at the beginning and trying to hang on is the marathon is too long for hanging on - if you run out of steam at 18/20 miles you're in real trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

cheers ray. Guess if you don't ask you'll never find out.

OK, so plan of action, next 4 weeks:
    15 this weekend, maybe do our 18 next weekend (instead of 16), then 12 following week leaving us on course for half marathon race the last week.

That might work?

Went to physio last night, basically said i had a joint issue (which i already know) not muscular. So technically nothing that she can really do with it as such, but did give me some great exercises, light ankle support and plenty of upbeat comments that it will hold up for a marathon. She doens't think it will do any harm but just to keep eye on it.
    So the miles will test it to the max. Suppose my minds at rest now.

Right bring on the 15...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

With only 6 weeks to go before the tapering I need to shuffle the long runs to get in the half marathon.

Considering I did the 10 mile race the weekend just gone is the following ok or a bit ambitious?

Week 1 - 15
    Week 2 - 16
    Week 3 - 18
    Week 4 - 13.1 (Dublin Half)
    Week 5 - 14
    Week 6 - 20 (Athlone 3/4?????)

This is pretty much exactly what I am doing, with a couple of miles less this weekend on physios advice. I presume the above is ok but would also welcome feedback...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I can echo this. This is the approach I took to the 10-Mile, running it at planned marathon pace. I finished strong and now am confident about my choice of pace. At the end of the day, if you have the mileage done, its all mind tricks after that.

A while ago one of us (sorry I can't remember who and don't fancy digging backwards) mentioned that we should organise a group photo before the marathon, possibly at the RDS before collecting our final marathon numbers.

I'm still on for that but if a lot of us will be doing the Half-Marathon would anyone be interested in a group photo for that?

William72 wrote: »
    This is pretty much exactly what I am doing, with a couple of miles less this weekend on physios advice. I presume the above is ok but would also welcome feedback...

JEmily has suggested 15/18/12/ half/20 allowing a taper before the half.

A while ago one of us (sorry I can't remember who and don't fancy digging backwards) mentioned that we should organise a group photo before the marathon, possibly at the RDS before collecting our final marathon numbers.

I'm still on for that but if a lot of us will be doing the Half-Marathon would anyone be interested in a group photo for that?

I'll be at the Half Marathon looking paler than pale, cap on and feeling sick. Yep, book me in for the group photo:o. Ha. Only joking, yep i'll be there on the day if your all in, count me in.

Am delighted to report that my 7 miles last night went great, I ran it in 56 mins flat and by the last two miles I felt like I was on suspension cables barely grazing the ground as I went. I had an open knee support on each leg and it looked odd but damn the begrudgers, I'm on the mend :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

JEmily wrote: »
    I'll be at the Half Marathon looking paler than pale, cap on and feeling sick. Yep, book me in for the group photo:o. Ha. Only joking, yep i'll be there on the day if your all in, count me in.

Maybe a pre race photo?

JEmily has suggested 15/18/12/ half/20 allowing a taper before the half.

I'm open to any other suggestions from anyone with any advice:confused:. But i think this suits my plan in order to fit in the Half Marathon aswell.

Am delighted to report that my 7 miles last night went great, I ran it in 56 mins flat and by the last two miles I felt like I was on suspension cables barely grazing the ground as I went. I had an open knee support on each leg and it looked odd but damn the begrudgers, I'm on the mend :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Fan bloody tastic:D. Your back on fire!!! Em, i gave up a long time ago with how i look running, i think if you like to look perfect, STOP RUNNING.

Wowzers, you were flying, look at your times.

• Advertisement

Maybe a pre race photo?

This is how i'll look pre-race;)

Advertisement