Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Just my 2c for what its worth

Anyone running the 20 mile in Athlone it should be ideal preperation and will take a lot of the boredom out of the distance. Also a brilliant dress rehersal for the big day.
    However there is one important thing to remember. This is not your goal race. You need to be very careful about your pace especially if its your first time doing the distance. The last thing you want it to leave all you hard work in training on the roads or Athlone and have nothing left for Dublin.
    I was taking to a fairly experienced friend last night about this and his advise was to run the first 10 no faster than your standard LSR pace, pick it up to half way between LRS and PMP for 5 mile sor so and then if and only if you feel strong run the last miles at PMP.
    Running too much of this race at PMP leads to a risk of not being able to recover fully for DCM, it's only 3 weeks after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

mrslow wrote: »
    Maybe a pre race photo?

Mr. Slow!...

Agh!

You have no idea how much self-control it is taking for me to not type a certain phrase in reply to this.......

Ahem, yes a pre-race photo is what I was thinking too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

mrslow - good to see you're back

Pre-race photo sounds good, I hope I make it in early enough this time.

JEmily - the only thing I'd wonder about your schedule is fitting in the 20 a week after the half. I know I'm still feeling the 10 mile today, I guess it'll be the same after the half.
    Just looking at the Higdon novice programme, the long runs seem to work out at
    25/10 - marathon
    16/10 - 8
    9/10 - 12
    2/10 - 20
    25/9 -14
    18/9 half-marathon (instead of an 18 mile run)

i'm following my own crazy schedule, but that might work for you? I'd try to get the 18 miler in a couple of weeks earlier, instead of the scheduled 16 mile run?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

JEmily wrote: »
    Fan bloody tastic:D. Your back on fire!!! Em, i gave up a long time ago with how i look running, i think if you like to look perfect, STOP RUNNING.

Wowzers, you were flying, look at your times.

I know, I just felt solid and with all the stretches and strenghtening the Physio has me doing plus her torturing me the other night I felt confident enough to push it and I was thrilled when I got home.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Mr. Slow!...

Agh!

You have no idea how much self-control it is taking for me to not type a certain phrase in reply to this.......

Ahem, yes a pre-race photo is what I was thinking too :)

I can imagine Homer;), however - I'm sure there are some who'd prefer to be seen battle scars and all.

• Advertisement

8 WEEKS 3 DAYS 22 HOURS :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I can imagine Homer;), however - I'm sure there are some who'd prefer to be seen battle scars and all.

Battle Scars, nice :)

Regarding your countdown that's kind of a comfort.
    I didn't get out to do my run until late last night and it was kinda of a slough to have to go so far, so late and now the cold is a-comin too.

I actually felt a little bored and even switched between podcasts, music, nothing and back again. Hopefuly it was just a bad night but man this training takes some commitment.

Battle Scars, nice :)

Regarding your countdown that's kind of a comfort.
    I didn't get out to do my run until late last night and it was kinda of a slough to have to go so far, so late and now the cold is a-comin too.

I actually felt a little bored and even switched between podcasts, music, nothing and back again. Hopefuly it was just a bad night but man this training takes some commitment.

It's an obsession for me, I just want to be out there - rest days I'm restless!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

RayCun wrote: »
    mrslow - good to see you're back

Pre-race photo sounds good, I hope I make it in early enough this time.

JEmily - the only thing I'd wonder about your schedule is fitting in the 20 a week after the half. I know I'm still feeling the 10 mile today, I guess it'll be the same after the half.
    Just looking at the Higdon novice programme, the long runs seem to work out at
    25/10 - marathon
    16/10 - 8
    9/10 - 12
    2/10 - 20
    25/9 -14
    18/9 half-marathon (instead of an 18 mile run)

i'm following my own crazy schedule, but that might work for you? I'd try to get the 18 miler in a couple of weeks earlier, instead of the scheduled 16 mile run?

25/10 - marathon
    16/10 - 8
    9/10 - 12
    2/10 - 20
    25/9 -14
    18/9 - half-marathon (instead of an 18 mile run)
    11/9 - 12
    4/9 - 18
    28/8 - 15

I'd have nearly 2 weeks before i have to do the 20 miles after the Half. The week after the Half i'd be doing 14 miles. Would this be too much do you think?

I'd have nearly 2 weeks before i have to do the 20 miles after the Half. The week after the Half i'd be doing 14 miles. Would this be too much do you think?

That (to my non-expert eye) looks fine. There's a bit of a step up from the 15 to the 18, but then you have a step-back week before the half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

ok rainbow, guys

need your help here
    am off to the physio tonight and hopefully he/she can sort me out and get me back on the road.

If so I need to amend my schedule as I've missed 2 weeks and 3 LSRs so Hal is prob out the window for me
    I'm also mindful of rushing back and doing myself another injury...any more and I think I'm toast

Couple of points to note
    I'm going to a friends wedding on the 4th September.
    And I'm getting married myself (que applause !!) on September 17th in Lanzarote.
    I'm flying out September 12th and back September 26th.
    And I'm heading down to Kerry for a few days on September 28th and back on October 3rd.
    Yeah I know what your thinking...couldnt have picked another year right?

So what do you think of my proposed schedule below?
    Ease back in and some heavy weeks in the middle with a taper at the end?

will get back later with that table...cant get it to work

Beginning|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday|Total Miles|Weeks2Go|
    23rd Aug |Rest|2|Circuit|Rest|7|Rest|10|19|9|
    30th Aug |Rest|5|Circuit|Rest|13|Rest (Attend Wedd)|7|25|8|
    6th Sep |Rest|6|Circuit|6|Rest|15|Rest (Flying)|27|7|
    13th Sep |6|Rest|12|5|Married|Rest (hangover)|6|29|6|
    20th Sep |Rest|17|Rest|5|7|5|Rest (Flying)|34|5|
    27th Sep |19|Rest (driving)|7|5|Rest|8|Rest (Driving)|39|4|
    4th Oct|22|Rest|Circuit|5|Rest|5|18|50|3|
    11th Oct |Rest|6|Circuit|6|Rest|12|6|30|2|
    18th Oct|Rest|6|5|Rest |4|Rest|Walk 2M|15|1|
    25th Oct|Dublin Marathon!!|Rest|Rest|More Rest|Rest|Lots of rest|Run - Yeah right!|26.2!|0|

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

25/10 - marathon
    16/10 - 8
    9/10 - 12
    2/10 - 20
    25/9 -14
    18/9 - half-marathon (instead of an 18 mile run)
    11/9 - 12
    4/9 - 18
    28/8 - 15

Last year we did 18, half, 20 on 19/9, 26/9, 3/10 - treating the half as the stepback week. Your plan looks fine, but tbh I'd prefer to leave less time between the 18 miler and the 20 miler, and I'd possibly consider stepping either the 14-miler or the 12-miler up to about 15-16 miles.

Last year we did 18, half, 20 on 19/9, 26/9, 3/10 - treating the half as the stepback week.

and you raced the half? hardcore!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

and you raced the half? hardcore!

Yup, and it meant I was absolutely banjaxed for the 20-miler! I can honestly say that the last mile of my 20 mile training run last year was the absolute worst I'd ever felt while running, I never even felt that bad during DCM. Good preparation then! :pac::p

That was just the way things went date-wise last year though, the half was 26 September. Fitting it in with novice programmes was one of my concerns when I saw the date for it this year.

25/10 - marathon
    16/10 - 8
    9/10 - 12
    2/10 - 20
    25/9 -15
    18/9 - half-marathon
    11/9 - 15
    4/9 - 18
    28/8 - 15

Small tweak but a little more mileage, what do ya'll think?

ok rainbow, guys, finally got the table working, hope u dont mind a repost...

need your help here
    am off to the physio tonight and hopefully he/she can sort me out and get me back on the road.

If so I need to amend my schedule as I've missed 2 weeks and 3 LSRs so Hal is prob out the window for me
    I'm also mindful of rushing back and doing myself another injury...any more and I think I'm toast

Couple of points to note
    And I'm getting married myself (que applause !!) on September 17th in Lanzarote.
    And I'm heading down to Kerry for a few days on September 28th and back on October 3rd.

Week Beginning| Monday| Tuesday| Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Miles| Weeks Left
    25th Oct|Dublin Marathon!!|Rest|Rest|More Rest|Rest|Lots of rest|Run - Yeah right!|26.2!|0|

8ofSpades wrote: »

need your help here

Couple of points to note

Week Beginning| Monday| Tuesday| Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Miles| Weeks Left

I have the least experience here but you're fitting your running into the cracks in your nuts schedule, if it works great but there's no room for error - I hope you pull it off but it's really tight.

Congrats on the Wedding!!!

35.gif35.gif35.gif35.gif35.gif35.gif35.gif35.gif35.gif35.gif35.gif35.gif35.gif35.gif

I'm heading to Lanzarote on 9th Sept, see you there. Amazing spot for a wedding, wow!

P.S. It's hard work to fit in what you need to run the DCM, but sod it, just try, if all else fails, run/jog, walk/crawl if you have to!!! Your getting married, that's more exciting than a DCM i'm sure. DCM 2011 will be just as good!

Thanks Jemily, MrSlow

The wedding week was supposed to be my contingency week.
    The injuries out an end to that.
    Agree with MrSlow that any more injuries/mishaps and I'm toast

so hope I get good news tonight...I'm already registered with a friend to run

Thanks Jemily, MrSlow

The wedding week was supposed to be my contingency week.
    The injuries out an end to that.
    Agree with MrSlow that any more injuries/mishaps and I'm toast

so hope I get good news tonight...I'm already registered with a friend to run

I hope you get news too, i need you to tell me a good 15 mile run in Lanzarote, or i'll have to drag you out with me:confused: No pressure at all then!!!

• Advertisement

25/10 - marathon
    16/10 - 8
    9/10 - 12
    2/10 - 20
    25/9 -15
    18/9 - half-marathon
    11/9 - 15
    4/9 - 18
    28/8 - 15

Small tweak but a little more mileage, what do ya'll think?

Your giving me a 15 miler on my hols week, that's very mean...:mad:

And does she know you're planning on going out for 8 runs and a total of over 60 miles while you're in Lanzarote? (And have you checked the temperatures in Lanzarote that week? 29/30 degrees!)

To be honest, I think you're mad. You're giving yourself too much to do. Why not just enjoy getting married, leave the runners at home, and run in Barcelona in the spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

need your help here

Couple of points to note

13th Sep |6|Rest|10|5|Married|Rest (hangover)|6|29|6|
    27th Sep |18|Rest (driving)|7|5|Rest|8|Rest (Driving)|39|4|
    4th Oct|20|Rest|Circuit|5|Rest|5|16|50|3|

As mrslow said its tight but its doable.
    I might suggest a couple of alrerations.
    your 12 miles in Lanzarote will be very tough, the heat will be a big factor maybe drop that back a little or at the very least do a walk/run.
    22 miles is way too far to be running, drop that back to a 20 miler think about dropping the 18 mier that week back to about 16 as well. You really dont want to pick up an injury that late in the schedule.

Edit : Actually I missed that you were doing a 17 miler on hols as well. Thats way too much in the heat for a novice. Drop that to a 12 at least.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    As mrslow said its tight but its doable.
    I might suggest a couple of alrerations.
    your 12 miles in Lanzarote will be very tough, the heat will be a big factor maybe drop that back a little or at the very least do a walk/run.
    22 miles is way too far to be running, drop that back to a 20 miler think about dropping the 18 mier that week back to about 16 as well. You really dont want to pick up an injury that late in the schedule.

Edit : Actually I missed that you were doing a 17 miler on hols as well. Thats way too much in the heat for a novice. Drop that to a 12 at least.

I was in Portugal for two weeks and it took me that long to build up to 6 miles in the heat, I went out in the evening but the 6 miler (1 hour 15 mins)was still in 30 degrees - very tough! At the time I could run 8 here with no problems!

Go for Barcelona as Raycun suggests, plus you'll be tired from all of the honeymoon 'excercise';););););) not to mind running.:D

Your giving me a 15 miler on my hols week, that's very mean...:mad:

You're an athlete in training - There is no holiday:mad:

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l440/allyoxox4/Woman_running_beach_dupe.jpg

And does she know you're planning on going out for 8 runs and a total of over 60 miles while you're in Lanzarote? (And have you checked the temperatures in Lanzarote that week? 29/30 degrees!)

To be honest, I think you're mad. You're giving yourself too much to do. Why not just enjoy getting married, leave the runners at home, and run in Barcelona in the spring?

yeah I probably am mad but I'm committed now so no backing out!!
    I've cut out one session and reduced the mileage according to brokenmans suggestions

Am hoping to run early in the mornings before it gets warm, hard to find out what temperature that is exactly.

proposed new schedule

13th Sep |6|Rest|10|5|Married|Rest (hangover)|6|27|6|
    20th Sep |Rest|12|Rest|5|Rest|7|Rest (Flying)|24|5|
    27th Sep |18|Rest (driving)|7|5|Rest|8|Rest (Driving)|38|4|
    4th Oct|20|Rest|Circuit|5|Rest|5|16|46|3|

yeah I probably am mad but I'm committed now so no backing out!!
    I've cut out one session and reduced the mileage according to brokenmans suggestions

Am hoping to run early in the mornings before it gets warm, hard to find out what temperature that is exactly.

You've no mean feat ahead of you so - Good Luck!

am i being selfish maybe?

should I or can I defer my entry?

• Advertisement

Not so much selfish as unrealistic - I think life is going to get in the way of your training plan.
    i don't know if it's possible to defer entries, you could give the marathon office a ring or a mail. Or maybe do it, but scale down your ambitions.

Advertisement