Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

8ofSpades wrote: »
    am i being selfish maybe?

should I or can I defer my entry?

I don't think you can, my guess is it comes down to your fiancee, If she's (assumption) happy that the day before the wedding your planning a run rather than tying up loose ends because they understand how important this is to you then you're fine but if all of her energy is invested in the wedding and yours isn't it might hurt her feelings - plus 60 miles on your honeymoon is a lot to ask. You have a choice of marathons over the course of any year but you'll hopefully only get married once!

You Asked.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

Thanks Raycun, Mr Slow

Fiancee is v supportive, I turn 30 on Oct 19th so its something I had wanted to do before 30...only a few days late

I hope to do the runs early in the morning, around 7 or 8, so hopefully I wont impact anyones day....and the longest run should be 2 hours.

Question is am I trying to convince me or you...

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

mrslow wrote: »
    I don't think you can, my guess is it comes down to your fiancee, If she's (assumption) happy that the day before the wedding your planning a run rather than tying up loose ends because they understand how important this is to you then you're fine but if all of her energy is invested in the wedding and yours isn't it might hurt her feelings - plus 60 miles on your honeymoon is a lot to ask. You have a choice of marathons over the course of any year but you'll hopefully only get married once!

You Asked.....:)

agree with this - if you have her buy in then its slightly bonkers but doable I think (possibly with adjusted expectations as somone said)
    if you haven't her your buy in/she doesn't know.... lets just say I'm sure spring marathons are lovely....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

The wedding week was supposed to be my contingency week.

For the love of God don't let your fiancee read that line.:)

Seriously there are many opportunities a year to do marathons.
    You only get married the one time.

I have to agree with what Ray said earlier and just enjoy the wedding and honeymoon.

There are plenty of 5k, 10k and 5mile races coming up in December and January so you could just renew your running efforts with these events and then be in a stronger position for a marathon next year.

For the love of God don't let your fiancee read that line.:)

god...i think i may have become obsessed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

You can't defer your entry to DCM.

The biggest fear that I would have for you is the increased risk of injury. Your long runs are jumping up in large enough increments and I would still be worried about that week of the 4th October 46 miles in total 8 more than the previous week and nearly double what you did 2 weeks earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

My advice to 8ofSpades would be to bring the runners along with you to Lanzarote and run when/how you feel. You might find times when you need to get away from it all or to get rid of the sluggish feeling that you want to get out. Don't stress about how many miles you are doing or following the plan, just run for enjoyment while away and make sure you're getting maximum enjoyment out of your wedding!! Then reassess your situation when you come back and see how you feel, you shouldn't lose too much fitness over two weeks, especially if you keep ticking over a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Jeez, I haven't looked at this for about 24 hours and there's about 500 posts !! What a mind game this running lark is.....Saturday's 10 miler, I was very happy with my finishing time of 81:26 but never felt comfortable at any stage (but still felt I could have run faster)...Tuesday, 4.64 miles @ 9:23 pace and felt great, Wednesday, 8 miles @ 9:17 pace and felt great sometimes and sluggish at others...Today, 4.57 miles at 9:16 pace and felt awful....:confused:

Anyway, onwards and upwards....Will see some of you in the Park for the LSR on Saturday, will check back thru the thread to see where the meeting point is.....9 a.m. as far as I remember......

Dig

What's the route on Sat morning? I know it was posted already but can't find it... Was thinking of joining you guys for a while, but I'll be running up from the zoo end so mightn't make it for 9am and wanted to know if I could pick you up somewhere along the way.

game over.....stress fracture to my 4th metatarsal in my left foot.....gutted

• Advertisement

**** one, sorry to hear that. But these things happen and you'll come back from it. Now enjoy your wedding and the 'rest' you'll have to take ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sorry to hear that :(

thanks...so gutted...unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Really sorry to read that 8ofspades :( But hey, you're off to Lanzarote, to get married! You'll have an amazing time, and the disappointment of not being able to do DCM, will fade very very fast.

Enjoy the wedding and honeymoon. There's plenty of time in the future to do a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

sorry to hear it, 8ofspades

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Ah, that's a big kick in the *&%£. Although maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Next year you'll come back with a bang and with less commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Sorry to hear that 8ofSpades

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Jesus-Really sorry to hear 8ofSpades

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

sorry to hear that 8ofspades - must be awful to get that news

on the plus side you're off to lanzarote, to get married and you're still the right side of 30 (just) :) you can focus on all of that now with no pressure to train...

also in a way now the decision has been made for you - you won't have to have the will I/won't I argument with yourself now and when you look back you'll know that it there was no choice in the matter.

best of luck with the recuperation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

8ofspades, You won't want to hear it I'm pretty sure but the timing is probably for the best, I trained in Gran Caneria for the final week of full training and 1st week of taper for DCM last year and f**ked up my knee on woeful footpaths and 2 foot cerbs they have over there! It was worse to get that far and pick up an injury, I still ran the race and hobbled around but it left me a little hallow as my time was way below what I wanted.
    I'm sure you can get lots of cross-training done on honeymoon though!!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks All

Was absolutely bulling last night, a bit calmer now.
    Went to the physio in balinteer and he said to get my a$$ over to get an xray and I was resigned to the worst.
    Went to the VHI Health clinic and they confirmed it was a stress fracture and now I'm in this shoe thing for the next few weeks.
    I'm focusing on the positives with the wedding and all.
    Trying to convince myself its for the best.

Just a word of thanks to Rainbow, your doing a great job and well done.
    Its a great group we have here and I wish you all the best for the DCM.

I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines and will keep popping in here to keep an eye on ye all

Good Luck All
    8ofSpades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ah no... 8 of spades. Sorry to hear that :(

Very disappointed for you but at least the decision has been made for you and now you can chill rather than spending the next few weeks tied up in knots.

xebec wrote: »
    What's the route on Sat morning? I know it was posted already but can't find it... Was thinking of joining you guys for a while, but I'll be running up from the zoo end so mightn't make it for 9am and wanted to know if I could pick you up somewhere along the way.

Meeting point is Knockmaroon Gate, this is the route
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/pho...28266902258297

Just shout 'Boardsies?' at every group you pass, we'll link up somewhere along the line;)

Meeting point is Knockmaroon Gate, this is the route
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/pho...28266902258297

Just shout 'Boardsies?' at every group you pass, we'll link up somewhere along the line;)

Right, I'll bump into you either at the bottom of the Kyber or along the North Road, and run with you for a while. I think you should carry a balloon, like the race pacers, to make you easier to spot.

RayCun wrote: »
    Right, I'll bump into you either at the bottom of the Kyber or along the North Road, and run with you for a while. I think you should carry a balloon, like the race pacers, to make you easier to spot.

I'll be easy to spot with my matching blue knee supports :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thanks All

Was absolutely bulling last night, a bit calmer now.
    Went to the physio in balinteer and he said to get my a$$ over to get an xray and I was resigned to the worst.
    Went to the VHI Health clinic and they confirmed it was a stress fracture and now I'm in this shoe thing for the next few weeks.
    I'm focusing on the positives with the wedding and all.
    Trying to convince myself its for the best.

Just a word of thanks to Rainbow, your doing a great job and well done.
    Its a great group we have here and I wish you all the best for the DCM.

I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines and will keep popping in here to keep an eye on ye all

Good Luck All
    8ofSpades

That's crap 8 of Spades, I know how gutted you feel. Maybe I'll see you in Barcelona in March :)

As the other said enjoy your wedding and honeymoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good luck everyone with the LSR tomorrow - hope it goes well for everyone.

Hopefully I will be able to join ye for a few miles next weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

blue knee supports :D

You have blue knees:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

You have blue knees:eek::eek:

That's why he needs the supports

Advertisement