Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Guys I ran my first 20 miler ever last night:) (I'm ahead on the programme as I am away on hols in a couple of weeks) It was hard, actually very hard. I found the last two miles the hardest. With about 4 miles to go I asked myself whether I can see myself completing the 26 miles and I said yep, I think I actually can, All be it very slow!!

So what have I learned:

I dont think I ate enough carbs when I got home as I got a bit shaky after an hour or so but thats an easy one to rectify. I have no appetite when I finish an LSR but I will just have to make myself eat more.

I also need to remember to vaseline my waist as the shorts I was wearing gave me friction burns (or use a different pair of shorts) -I didnt feel it until I got into the shower :eek:

Also, I cant remember who it was but someone recommended getting into a cold bath to ease sore muscles and this is the second week in a row that I have done it and it really works-no more hot restless legs in bed and this morning I have no muscle pain at all.

I dropped a water bottle at a certain point behind a bollard wrapped in a plastic bag before hand (very clever I thought) but when I got to it some f**ker had taken it??? WHY???? I just dont know (shame they couldn't pick up the rest of the rubbish at the side of the road) so I had to wait till I ran to the next point to get some water into me. So I'll just have to hide it better next time.
    I tried to use a belt with a water bottle in it but I just couldn't get used to it.

All in all, its a fantastic feeling, I have never ran further than a half malf marathon before and I am amazed I actually did it! I will certainly enjoy a glass or two or three of wine tonight!
    I did it in roughly 3hr 10 mins - I dont carry a watch so its an estimate.

DCM 2010 Bring It On!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fantastic stuff ilovetorun! You must be delighted :D Great that you have no effects today after it.

I'd recommend BodyGlide for chaffing. The stuff is fantastic ;) and I never leave for a run, no matter how short, without the stuff.

As for the bottle-thief, they've struck me, three times so far. WTF?? Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

You have blue knees:eek::eek:

One has to look pretty if not co-ordinated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Guys I ran my first 20 miler ever last night:) (I'm ahead on the programme as I am away on hols in a couple of weeks) It was hard, actually very hard. I found the last two miles the hardest. With about 4 miles to go I asked myself whether I can see myself completing the 26 miles and I said yep, I think I actually can, All be it very slow!!

So what have I learned:

I dont think I ate enough carbs when I got home as I got a bit shaky after an hour or so but thats an easy one to rectify. I have no appetite when I finish an LSR but I will just have to make myself eat more.

I also need to remember to vaseline my waist as the shorts I was wearing gave me friction burns (or use a different pair of shorts) -I didnt feel it until I got into the shower :eek:

Also, I cant remember who it was but someone recommended getting into a cold bath to ease sore muscles and this is the second week in a row that I have done it and it really works-no more hot restless legs in bed and this morning I have no muscle pain at all.

I dropped a water bottle at a certain point behind a bollard wrapped in a plastic bag before hand (very clever I thought) but when I got to it some f**ker had taken it??? WHY???? I just dont know (shame they couldn't pick up the rest of the rubbish at the side of the road) so I had to wait till I ran to the next point to get some water into me. So I'll just have to hide it better next time.
    I tried to use a belt with a water bottle in it but I just couldn't get used to it.

All in all, its a fantastic feeling, I have never ran further than a half malf marathon before and I am amazed I actually did it! I will certainly enjoy a glass or two or three of wine tonight!

DCM 2010 Bring It On!!!

OMG:eek:, well done you, i'm sooooo jealous right now. Soooo jealous. Your welll on the way to your DCM completion. Did i say i'm soooo jealous?!?!

For Tomorrow 9 am @ the Knockmaroon Gate the following are confirmed/linking up:

Chinguetti
    Xebec
    Aimman
    Menoscemo
    The Wexican
    Mr Slow
    JEmily +2
    Nacho Queen
    MichelleMuncher
    Digger2d2
    DigiJem

Should be a great run, light wind and nice and warm. Before the last run someone suggested kicking off at 9:05 just to allow for latecomers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

mrslow wrote: »
    Meeting point is Knockmaroon Gate, this is the route
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/pho...28266902258297

Hope to be there, if I can make it to the park by 9. An early night needed I guess.

RubyK wrote: »
    Fantastic stuff ilovetorun! You must be delighted :D Great that you have no effects today after it.

I'd recommend BodyGlide for chaffing. The stuff is fantastic ;) and I never leave for a run, no matter how short, without the stuff.

As for the bottle-thief, they've struck me, three times so far. WTF?? Very annoying.

Thanks RubyK -must look into the BodyGlide, it looks like its a must from now on.

Why bother removing a bottle of water from the side of the road?? I wouldn't mind but Im really good at carrying the empty bottle until I find a bin as I dont like littering!!!

JEmily wrote: »
    OMG:eek:, well done you, i'm sooooo jealous right now. Soooo jealous. Your welll on the way to your DCM completion. Did i say i'm soooo jealous?!?!

Thanks JEmily! I think if I read my post written by someone else I would feel the exact same, so I posted my thoughts on it to help everyone believe that we can all do this!! My confidence is fairly low when it comes to running (dont know why!) so I feel that if I can do it anyone can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Thats real bad news 8ofSpades but it may be a blessing really. At lrast the decision has been made for you now. There are plenty of good spring marathons around and if you want something to aim for later this year there is an excellect Half in Waterford in early December.

Thanks JEmily! I think if I read my post written by someone else I would feel the exact same, so I posted my thoughts on it to help everyone believe that we can all do this!! My confidence is fairly low when it comes to running (dont know why!) so I feel that if I can do it anyone can!

Well done ilovetorun!!!

I'm finding that each time I achieve a goal, I start to focus on the next which diminishes what I've just achieved. When I tell people I've run 13.5 miles their jaws drop but in my mind it's nothing compared to the 20 that's coming if that makes any sense?

As Hal higdon says 'Once you've done it, you're looking down at it instead of up'

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »

They're probably former runners who picked up an injury and they go out at night to sabotage people excercising.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I dont think I ate enough carbs when I got home as I got a bit shaky after an hour or so but thats an easy one to rectify. I have no appetite when I finish an LSR but I will just have to make myself eat more

Well done!
    I also find I've no appetite sometimes, best thing to do is eat as soon as possible, and eat sweet things. Chocolate milk, fruit, cereal bars - have them ready right after your run.

Well done ilovetorun!!!

I'm finding that each time I achieve a goal, I start to focus on the next which diminishes what I've just achieved. When I tell people I've run 13.5 miles their jaws drop but in my mind it's nothing compared to the 20 that's coming if that makes any sense?

As Hal higdon says 'Once you've done it, you're looking down at it instead of up'

Makes complete sense Mrslow, its all relative I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

Congrats ilovetorun on your run - thunder stealing or what! :D

Just back from my longest run ever - 15 miles in 2 hours 26 mins finally beginning to have a bit of faith that i'll actually be able to finish DCM, felt grand the whole way round delighted to have it over especially after feeling so crap during the 13 miler a few weeks ago... off to italy for a week now so next weeks mileage will prob be a bit lower than due but the runners are coming with me and I'll def do some

+ 1 on the chaffing, need to get some bodyglide asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

So what have I learned:

DCM 2010 Bring It On!!!

Nice work man and really thanks for posting this, it's great to hear how people are finding the harder parts of the training.

Did you use any gels or just water bottles every now and then?

My first 20 is next week so I'll be sure to post my own experiences as well :)

beamgirl wrote: »

Just back from my longest run ever - 15 miles in 2 hours 26 mins finally beginning to have a bit of faith that i'll actually be able to finish DCM, felt grand the whole way round delighted to have it over especially after feeling so crap during the 13 miler a few weeks ago... off to italy for a week now so next weeks mileage will prob be a bit lower than due but the runners are coming with me and I'll def do some

Well done Beamgirl, You'll get plenty of pasta over there, so carb up and enjoy!!

beamgirl wrote: »

Thanks beamgirl
    Well done! Its a great feeling isn't it, esp when you weren't too happy a few weeks back. Plenty of hills in Italy so you will run off all the ice cream in no time!

Nice work man and really thanks for posting this, it's great to hear how people are finding the harder parts of the training.

Did you use any gels or just water bottles every now and then?

My first 20 is next week so I'll be sure to post my own experiences as well :)

Thanks Mate :)

I had planned to drink 3 bottles of water along the route but that didn't work out cause of the bottle thief so I had to wait till 11miles for my first bottle of water, I took a Power Bar gel at this stage (the vanilla flavour was nice), another bottle of water then at 17m, the last 2 miles were tough so I took a dextrose tablet then-not sure if it made much difference to my speed but psychologically it spurred me on a bit.

Good luck next week-looking forward to hearing how you get on...knock 'em dead!
    and like MrSlow quoted earlier ''As Hal higdon says 'Once you've done it, you're looking down at it instead of up''

I've touched on it before and I know a few of you are running Athlone as your 20 mile LSR but I thought a group 20 mile LSR would be cool, take a photo before the run to compliment the Adidas Half photo even.

The support here is fantastic, I really feel like we're all doing it as a team and for us to reach that goal by actually running it together would be epic.

I had Sunday 3rd October in mind, what do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Lads

I'm going to see if i can park down near the Chapelizod gate tomorrow and run up to meet you at knockmaroon. If I can ye could throw any waters gels etc into the boot so you can pick them up when we come back into the park at the 11 mile mark. Should avoid any water thieves.

I'll check it out on my way home this evening, and let ye know.

• Advertisement

Lads

I'm going to see if i can park down near the Chapelizod gate tomorrow and run up to meet you at knockmaroon. If I can ye could throw any waters gels etc into the boot so you can pick them up when we come back into the park at the 11 mile mark. Should avoid any water thieves.

I'll check it out on my way home this evening, and let ye know.

Don't think you can dude! Would be great though if you could.

Let me know later by text and I can collect you and run you up to Knockmaroon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm going to see if i can park down near the Chapelizod gate

there's a small car park at the bottom of the Kyber road
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&source=embed&oe=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=53.349796,-6.314542&spn=0.006994,0.016544&t=h&z=16&msid=101694072804306224575.00048ecdc2d1da940cb77

I think that entrance is one-way, so you'd have to drive in the main gates and come down Wellington Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Am reading all the training reports with interest. Great running Ilovetorun & Beamgirl!
    I'm aiming for a LSR of 17 miles tomorrow. My last LSR was 15 miles and was 2.5 weeks ago. I am going to use Hi-5 energy drink tomorrow during the run, my first time using one so I'm hoping that it will keep me going.

What pace is the LSR in the park tomorrow at 9am. I may join you (if I can keep up)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Am reading all the training reports with interest. Great running Ilovetorun & Beamgirl!
    I'm aiming for a LSR of 17 miles tomorrow. My last LSR was 15 miles and was 2.5 weeks ago. I am going to use Hi-5 energy drink tomorrow during the run, my first time using one so I'm hoping that it will keep me going.

What pace is the LSR in the park tomorrow at 9am. I may join you (if I can keep up)

Hi jcsmum, Pace is 10 min mile, hope to see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

Hi jcsmum, Pace is 10 min mile, hope to see you there!

best of luck everyone with the LSR - won't be joining you this week as my distance will be slightly shorter but hope to hook up next weekend

William72 wrote: »
    best of luck everyone with the LSR - won't be joining you this week as my distance will be slightly shorter but hope to hook up next weekend

Aimman is running 10 miles tomorrow if that suits better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Wexican, just to let you know that the Park Rangers will get your car moved (if you not in it) if you park on the very wide footpath at the gate inside Chapelizod as it has happened to me as its for residents and the hospital in case of emergency.

I stick my water bottle in the tree just at the entrance there, never yet been nicked. If you leave it on the ground, people will just nick it or kick it away so either the tree or under a bush. I'll bring a couple of small bottles and leave in the tree if ye want as i come in that gate. I wouldn't leave gels in the tree though.

Kyber is a plan for the car but also along the Avenue somewhere (don't have route in front of me) might be handy.

See ye in the morning folks

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

Aimman is running 10 miles tomorrow if that suits better?

thanks anyway mrslow but this is my last (hopefully) "coming back from injury" run so a) will be doing 12/13 instead of 15 b) will be taking it VERY handy so will be slower than 10min/mile c) I live in Kildare so saving my trip to the park for when I can do it properly with the rest of ye...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hi Lads, I was under the impression that there was a car park at the Knockmaroon gate? Is this not the case?

If not, it would be much better in future to meet at the papal cross as there is a big car park there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Does anyone know what gels they use on day of marathon? Might try them out this week and see how they sit.

And what gels seem to be the popular, (non rank), one's?

Advertisement