Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hi Lads, I was under the impression that there was a car park at the Knockmaroon gate? Is this not the case?

If not, it would be much better in future to meet at the papal cross as there is a big car park there.

There's plenty of parking there, if not at the roadside then a swift right as you enter in between the two buildings has plenty of car space. It's quiet there and as it's such a small area is a great spot to meet;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

JEmily wrote: »
    Does anyone know what gels they use on day of marathon? Might try them out this week and see how they sit.

And what gels seem to be the popular, (non rank), one's?

It was High5 Isotonic gels last year.

Probably the easiest gels to get your hands on would be the Powerbar ones, available in quite a few different fruit flavours and I think they do chocolate and vanilla too. You should be able to get them in health food shops. Lucozade ones tend to be stocked in Boots, they just taste like concentrated Lucozade Sport. High5 ones are in a few health food shops too.

Also, try bike shops and running shops in general - they tend to have a decent selection. It's worthwhile asking about them if you have particular preferences.

It was High5 Isotonic gels last year.

Probably the easiest gels to get your hands on would be the Powerbar ones, available in quite a few different fruit flavours and I think they do chocolate and vanilla too. You should be able to get them in health food shops. Lucozade ones tend to be stocked in Boots, they just taste like concentrated Lucozade Sport. High5 ones are in a few health food shops too.

You can get High 5 gels in Wheelworks, Fonthill Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »
    You can get High 5 gels in Wheelworks, Fonthill Rd
    Also Health Matters on Grafton St.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

I've touched on it before and I know a few of you are running Athlone as your 20 mile LSR but I thought a group 20 mile LSR would be cool, take a photo before the run to compliment the Adidas Half photo even.

The support here is fantastic, I really feel like we're all doing it as a team and for us to reach that goal by actually running it together would be epic.

I had Sunday 3rd October in mind, what do ye think?

Book me in for 20m on 3rd October anyway:eek:, photo optional...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Hi Lads, I was under the impression that there was a car park at the Knockmaroon gate? Is this not the case?

If not, it would be much better in future to meet at the papal cross as there is a big car park there.

I'm here googling maps and car parks of the phoenix park. I'll be driving and obviously would like to park as close as possible to meeting point :D
    I really should park a mile away as I am really supposed to be doing 17 miles in total.
    If somebody can let me know about the carpark at Knockmaroon gate, that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

There's plenty of parking there, if not at the roadside then a swift right as you enter in between the two buildings has plenty of car space. It's quiet there and as it's such a small area is a great spot to meet;)

Ok, my question is answered

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

This is Knockmaroon gate
    and in this shot taken from further back you can see there's space for cars to park
    There's a car park off to the left (as you look at those pictures) on the way to the Furry Glen, I don't know if there are restrictions on using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    This is Knockmaroon gate
    and in this shot taken from further back you can see there's space for cars to park
    There's a car park off to the left (as you look at those pictures) on the way to the Furry Glen, I don't know if there are restrictions on using it?

Ray, there is nothing in any of those pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

not a car park but space on the side of the road for cars to park, in the second picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

chinguetti wrote: »
    Wexican, just to let you know that the Park Rangers will get your car moved (if you not in it) if you park on the very wide footpath at the gate inside Chapelizod as it has happened to me as its for residents and the hospital in case of emergency.

I stick my water bottle in the tree just at the entrance there, never yet been nicked. If you leave it on the ground, people will just nick it or kick it away so either the tree or under a bush. I'll bring a couple of small bottles and leave in the tree if ye want as i come in that gate. I wouldn't leave gels in the tree though.

Kyber is a plan for the car but also along the Avenue somewhere (don't have route in front of me) might be handy.

See ye in the morning folks

That saves me the trouble of looking. Had often seen the odd car parked along there, so thought it might have been an option.

Have always been wary of leaving water down, afraid it might have a bit of a hint of yellow, when I came to retrieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Ray, there is nothing in any of those pictures

Carpark is near the top of the Furry Glen, during the 10k we run beside it before turning back towards Furze at the Knockmaroon Gate. If you're coming in the gate turn right straight away, if you're driving towards it you should see it on the left.

That saves me the trouble of looking. Had often seen the odd car parked along there, so thought it might have been an option.

Have always been wary of leaving water down, afraid it might have a bit of a hint of yellow, when I came to retrieve it.

If you want to park around 11 or 12 miles, there's a small amount of parking where the 11 mile marker is on the map going around. Probably a better option is the Papal Cross carpark and that area which is at about 11.5 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

8ofSpades wrote: »
    game over.....stress fracture to my 4th metatarsal in my left foot.....gutted

So sorry to hear that! prob worked out for the best!

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Guys I ran my first 20 miler ever last night:) (I'm ahead on the programme as I am away on hols in a couple of weeks) It was hard, actually very hard. I found the last two miles the hardest. With about 4 miles to go I asked myself whether I can see myself completing the 26 miles and I said yep, I think I actually can, All be it very slow!!

So what have I learned:

I dont think I ate enough carbs when I got home as I got a bit shaky after an hour or so but thats an easy one to rectify. I have no appetite when I finish an LSR but I will just have to make myself eat more.

I also need to remember to vaseline my waist as the shorts I was wearing gave me friction burns (or use a different pair of shorts) -I didnt feel it until I got into the shower :eek:

Also, I cant remember who it was but someone recommended getting into a cold bath to ease sore muscles and this is the second week in a row that I have done it and it really works-no more hot restless legs in bed and this morning I have no muscle pain at all.

I dropped a water bottle at a certain point behind a bollard wrapped in a plastic bag before hand (very clever I thought) but when I got to it some f**ker had taken it??? WHY???? I just dont know (shame they couldn't pick up the rest of the rubbish at the side of the road) so I had to wait till I ran to the next point to get some water into me. So I'll just have to hide it better next time.
    I tried to use a belt with a water bottle in it but I just couldn't get used to it.

All in all, its a fantastic feeling, I have never ran further than a half malf marathon before and I am amazed I actually did it! I will certainly enjoy a glass or two or three of wine tonight!
    I did it in roughly 3hr 10 mins - I dont carry a watch so its an estimate.

DCM 2010 Bring It On!!!

Well done!!

I have had my water robbed in the past....lesson learnt - put in an extra drop along the way... nothing worse if you have to take a gel n no water.

As for cold baths - they are the biz well worth it! Although they are pretty painful at the start you just feel great after them.

JEmily wrote: »
    Book me in for 20m on 3rd October anyway:eek:, photo optional...;)

I knew I could depend on my wingbud :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

This thread is amazing again this year. Great running everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Hi Guys,
    Change of plans for tomorrow, is there room for one more for the 15 mile LSR in the park?

8ofSpades, sorry you have had to drop out. Enjoy the wedding and honeymoon.

Hi Guys,
    Change of plans for tomorrow, is there room for one more for the 15 mile LSR in the park?

8ofSpades, sorry you have had to drop out. Enjoy the wedding and honeymoon.

Absolutely, see you at 9 @ the Knockmaroon Gate;)

Excellent, see ye then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi guys,

If its ok could I join you as well. Not sure I will last 15 but your 10 min pace should be ok for me. Have not met any of you before but I think it definitly helps to run with a group.

Pistol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Someone else said they have to do 17 miles tomorrow...Was it jcsmum?? Anyway, that's what I've to do so you'll have company for another couple of miles if you want it after we get back to where we started.....(I know I said I've to do 18 the other day but that's actually next week doh...)

Anyway, see you all in the morning - I'll be watching out for old blue knees himself !!

Hi Pistol, come along, it'll be my first time to meet the group aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Spurs101!

Hi all, phenomenal progress by everyone ...... 20 miles a few months back was beyond comprehension (still is for me ! and this is after 14, 15, 14)

Corked - Hey there, looks to me that you are probably the only Cork person on this thread.

Could I ask where in Cork do you do your LSR ? Doing 15 in the morning along Carrigrohane straight/Bishopstown area but dont know where is best/safest and if I could maybe join a group for these? (dont mind if they are faster as its just gets me to a place on time, find myself putting it off all weekend and just thinking about it)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Someone else said they have to do 17 miles tomorrow...Was it jcsmum?? Anyway, that's what I've to do so you'll have company for another couple of miles if you want it after we get back to where we started.....(I know I said I've to do 18 the other day but that's actually next week doh...)

Anyway, see you all in the morning - I'll be watching out for old blue knees himself !!

Old? wtf? I'm only a slip of a youngfella ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Old? wtf? I'm only a slip of a youngfella ;)

:D

My two Daughters are giving me a hard time saying "OMG - Dad is going running with his weirdo internet friends tomorrow".....

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

hah my wife was the same when I said I was going running with guys from online

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Reading everyones progress/exploits on this thread is really inspirational stuff. Can't join yeah tomorrow as I'm heading down to Longford for the HM on Sunday but best of luck with the run tomorrow and hope to join up next Saturday.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    :D

My two Daughters are giving me a hard time saying "OMG - Dad is going running with his weirdo internet friends tomorrow".....

They're right you know! Plan is to meet you guys somewhere over first few miles if I don't make it Knockmaroon, I'm doing up to 19 tomorrow but most of the extra will be covered by the time I meet up with you... Heading to bed now to give myself some chance of getting up in the morning!

Edit: keep an eye out for me, should be in a blue shirt and black and yellow sunglasses...

• Advertisement

Interesting article here about training....

Summary:
    Regardless of your race day goals, staying healthy and running well are two critical components of any successful marathon training campaign.

Advertisement