Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Guys that was a great run , what a great start to the weekend and a real confidence booster for everyone . Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice to meet a lot of you there today. The plan was to stay with you for 4 and then zip on for 12 fast, but I was enjoying the group run so much I stayed with you all the way, wil do that oter session next wekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Had a great time with the group today! Definitely the easiest and best LSR I've ever done thanks to the company of you all! Worst bit was the last 3 miles running home but managed to pick up the pace a little and knock out 19 in total :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good stuff out of everyone :) Would have gone myself if I wasn't still getting over an absolute stinker of a cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Thanks everyone for this morning. Was great to run as part of a group. Managed just under 12 miles before I called it a day. 15 minutes longer than I have run before so all positive for me at my stage of fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Yeah, really enjoyed this morning, the miles seemed to fly by! When I came home I started writing down the names I remembered - trying to remember 2 names for everyone is too much especially after a LSR!!
    Thanks to my 2 fellow runners for lengthing the run to 17 miles - am thrilled with that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

With everyone looking so comfortable at around 13miles, decide on a bit of route change just to get that extra couple of yards out of everybody:p

Really enjoyable run, and great to have so many on it. Came home hopped into a cold bath and did some stretches afterwards. Feel great now, and already looking forward to next weeks LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Nothing better than doing a lsr in a group and enjoying it. Thats the way to do it lads. Doing stuff like that run keeps the (will i wont i) demons at bay. Well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Sign me up for next week please :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Yeah, really enjoyed this morning, the miles seemed to fly by! When I came home I started writing down the names I remembered - trying to remember 2 names for everyone is too much especially after a LSR!!
    Thanks to my 2 fellow runners for lengthing the run to 17 miles - am thrilled with that. :D

You did extra miles? Myself and Chinguetti did an extra few as well. We should have al done it together...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Is there a confessions section to this thread?

*Comes out with hands up*

So i kinda went out with the intention of seeing how far i could get.
    I'm based in Maynooth and went west along the canal out to Enfield.
    It was great. I was testing out a new camelpak i got as well. I like it but i cant see myself wanting to use it in a race. The distance was about 21km/13m to that point. Took just under 2hrs. I took a 20 mins or so walking around the town break and headed back.

It had rained on and off.. i swear there was one point where i could just see this sheet of rain about 100 meters ahead heading for me... Grand no problem. It might rain on race day so might as well get used to it. One strech of the Canal was a really overgrown trail... about halfway between Enfield and Kilcock. It was raining.. uneven terrain... Anyone guess what happens next?

I sorta slipped and went over on my right ankle. It wasnt sore intially. and i slowed up a bit but just kinda shrugged it and kept going.. It got worse and by aboue mile 19 i was down to running/walking. It was starting to hurt running on it. Mile 20 near Kilcock. I just stopped. Took out my phone and saw that i was about a mile or so outside of the town. Checked the time of the next train and called it there. Time was about 3h20m or so. I figured no point in forcing it anymore. It wasnt race day and no sense in making it worse. Walking on it is ok.. little tender.

So yeah, i went out to completely blow the shedule and see if i could just finish the 26miles in anytime. Personally i blame the book "Born to Run" which i finished during the week. Nah kidding. I probably would have tried it at some point.

*awaits berating/punishment*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Twas a mighty group in the Park alright this morning. I loved the way the cars stopped whenever we crossed the road. Meno and i got a little shower which was lovely as we got back to the cars.

Enjoy the weekend now with that out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|2|13.6|118.9|one easy run on thurs to test the the knee and one very easy 10 mile in the park. No ill effects thank god|
    The Wexican|7|25|142|Picked up a paid of Nike Lunarglides at the weekend, which I'm hoping will be solution my recent injury problems. Will start breaking them in on the shorter midweek runs|
    rofno1|3|18|159|Skipped midweek longish run as had cold coming on. This helped on ten miles|
    boccy23|4|24|168|Not too bad. Found the Frank Duffy hard as I went out hard and suffered on the hills home. But all a great learning experience for the big days further ahead.|
    brophya2007|4|25|200.3|10m race time 1:37:26. Happy enough with that. Half way through the training plan.|
    beamgirl|2|14|153|bad week for me just wreaked tired|
    michellemuncher|1|10|138|10m race time was 1:29:18. It is ok. I cycled 180 miles, mostly around west Ireland. It was great.|
    RayCun|4|26.2|257.2|Just under 81 minutes in the 10 mile, which I'm delighted with. But now I've tired and sore legs and I'm staring down the barrel of a 38 mile week...|
    littlebug|4|20|214.2|not the best of weeks:(|
    meathcountysec|5|29.39|341.93|10 mile race went very well. confidence restored|
    DigiJem|3|20|206|Pretty good week; 10 mile race went well. Here's hoping week 10 goes as well.|
    8ofSpades|0|0|119|you aint getting rid of me yet...|
    D Chief|4|27.2|164.2|8-day week. Postponed LSR to Monday night cause of the Dublin v Cork semi-final, but did 11.8 miles in the Park after work this evening. Also, did a 4 mile race in Nenagh on Friday.|
    digger2d2|4|26|234|step-back week for me that included the 10 miler...Very happy with my time|
    Curl52|3|22|346|Took it easy before the 10 mile race, battery on my watch went on mile 4 which was annoying but still happy with my result of 81:04 but thinking if the watch was working could have knocked off those 4 seconds!|
    ilovetorun |4|36|226|Tough LSR of 17m,found the recovery run of 5m tough as well but all going well :) 20m LSR this week :eek:|
    James Howlett|4|23|238|Bad week for training as I missed one session and cut two others short yet ironically a good week for training paying off as I managed the Frank Duffy 10 mile in 68:45|
    RallyRunner|4|24|180|Good week. Did the Adidas 10 mile and it went well|
    corked|3|30|190.5| Missed one of my runs - v bad motivation after Clonmel Half disaster. Managed to do a good LSR of 15.5 miles - happy enough with that felt another mile in the legs after it.|
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|24|200|I did the 10 mile race in 84 minutes which I was delighted with |
    RubyK|5|44.55|254.90|LSR of 22 miles. Hit the wall at mile 19. Not a pleasant experience at all.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|14|87|This week was a write off with parties etc. So didn't get my 10 LSR in, but hopefully back on plan from tonight|
    Mrslow|4|24|92.25|Major setback on Saturday, hoping for good news from Physio:o|
    marrona|3|17.63|242.59|missed a run due to exams and running frank duffy after post-exam celebration was painful|
    Agent J|2|16.25|115.25|Good Solid Ten miler this evening. Though left it a bit late|
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|4|25|300|Longford HM next weekend|
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|42|333.5|Good week, highest milage ever. Mini taper for Galway HM coming up|

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

I had every intention of heading in to the group run this morning. I set the alarm for 7 (as I will be coming in from Bray), which I switched off as soon as it went off. I eventually fell out of the bed at 10:30am. I'm just back from running the 15 miles on my own which was mental torture for me. From mile 11 to 15 all I could think was why didn't I just get up when the alarm went off. I'll definitely be there next week!!

Any suggestions on what and when to eat before morning runs. Is a big bowl of pasta the night before and porridge in the morning sufficient. At the moment I only really run in the afternoon or (most commonly) the evening.

menoscemo wrote: »
    You did extra miles? Myself and Chinguetti did an extra few as well. We should have al done it together...

I did veer off to the left with Nacho Queen and digger2d2 & you mentioned you were coming too to get the extra miles in and then when I looked back you were heading back to the meeting point with the others.
    It's hard to organise so many different runs, with people doing a few extra miles so sorry bout that.

Actually I'm mixing you and Chinguetti up now. Brain is fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

William72|2|13.6|118.9|one easy run on thurs to test the the knee and one very easy 10 mile in the park. No ill effects thank god|
    The Wexican|7|25|142|Picked up a paid of Nike Lunarglides at the weekend, which I'm hoping will be solution my recent injury problems. Will start breaking them in on the shorter midweek runs|
    rofno1|3|18|159|Skipped midweek longish run as had cold coming on. This helped on ten miles|
    boccy23|4|24|168|Not too bad. Found the Frank Duffy hard as I went out hard and suffered on the hills home. But all a great learning experience for the big days further ahead.|
    brophya2007|4|25|200.3|10m race time 1:37:26. Happy enough with that. Half way through the training plan.|
    beamgirl|2|14|153|bad week for me just wreaked tired|
    michellemuncher|1|10|138|10m race time was 1:29:18. It is ok. I cycled 180 miles, mostly around west Ireland. It was great.|
    RayCun|4|26.2|257.2|Just under 81 minutes in the 10 mile, which I'm delighted with. But now I've tired and sore legs and I'm staring down the barrel of a 38 mile week...|
    littlebug|4|20|214.2|not the best of weeks:(|
    meathcountysec|5|29.39|341.93|10 mile race went very well. confidence restored|
    DigiJem|3|20|206|Pretty good week; 10 mile race went well. Here's hoping week 10 goes as well.|
    8ofSpades|0|0|119|you aint getting rid of me yet...|
    D Chief|4|27.2|164.2|8-day week. Postponed LSR to Monday night cause of the Dublin v Cork semi-final, but did 11.8 miles in the Park after work this evening. Also, did a 4 mile race in Nenagh on Friday.|
    digger2d2|4|26|234|step-back week for me that included the 10 miler...Very happy with my time|
    Curl52|3|22|346|Took it easy before the 10 mile race, battery on my watch went on mile 4 which was annoying but still happy with my result of 81:04 but thinking if the watch was working could have knocked off those 4 seconds!|
    ilovetorun |4|36|226|Tough LSR of 17m,found the recovery run of 5m tough as well but all going well :) 20m LSR this week :eek:|
    James Howlett|4|23|238|Bad week for training as I missed one session and cut two others short yet ironically a good week for training paying off as I managed the Frank Duffy 10 mile in 68:45|
    RallyRunner|4|24|180|Good week. Did the Adidas 10 mile and it went well|
    corked|3|30|190.5| Missed one of my runs - v bad motivation after Clonmel Half disaster. Managed to do a good LSR of 15.5 miles - happy enough with that felt another mile in the legs after it.|
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|24|200|I did the 10 mile race in 84 minutes which I was delighted with |
    RubyK|5|44.55|254.90|LSR of 22 miles. Hit the wall at mile 19. Not a pleasant experience at all.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|14|87|This week was a write off with parties etc. So didn't get my 10 LSR in, but hopefully back on plan from tonight|
    Mrslow|4|24|92.25|Major setback on Saturday, hoping for good news from Physio:o|
    marrona|3|17.63|242.59|missed a run due to exams and running frank duffy after post-exam celebration was painful|
    Agent J|4|40|139|20 Miles. Hurt my ankle on mile 17.|
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|4|25|300|Longford HM next weekend|
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|42|333.5|Good week, highest milage ever. Mini taper for Galway HM coming up|

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

What can I say? I never expected such a turnout and was delighted to meet you all this morning. I'm gonna have to get a blasted Garmin as I can't pace in the park (at this stage there's too many mile markers to remember) and was tipping along at 9 ish minute miles for a while.
    You're a lovely bunch of people and I look forward to meeting ye again, don't be offended if I don't rememeber your name/login as with 40 different names to marry up with 20 people added to 15.4 miles of sweat I wasn't feeling the sharpest.

Thanks to The Wexican for the route (hills and all) and Chinguetti for keeping us all together.

The plan for next week is 18 miles :D See ya'll there!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

milosh wrote: »
    Any suggestions on what and when to eat before morning runs. Is a big bowl of pasta the night before and porridge in the morning sufficient. At the moment I only really run in the afternoon or (most commonly) the evening.

That sounds perfect, as long as it works for you. You don't have to eat pasta, any carbohydrate would do like brown rice or potatoes. You would need to eat your porridge 2 hours before the run. You could also try eating a banana with it for more energy. If it works for Paula Radcliffe....

Great run this morning Boardsie crew, it flew by and I felt like I could have gone further. Though the muscles were definitely feeling the mileage. Grand now though. Thanks to Mr slow and The Wexican for organising it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Gorgeous morning for a run....Thanks mrslow for pulling it all together, nice to meet you all and thanks to my 17 mile partners Nachoqueen and jcsmum....

Nachoqueen, I guess we covered most subjects and I enjoyed the company although I did find it strange when you took out the packet of Nachos and used the warmth of the sun to melt the cheese over them....strange choice as opposed to Gels.....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

It was great to meet you all yesterday morning. Definitely made the distance fly past.
    Thanks to the pacers with their shiny Garmin's for keeping manners on us and getting us home.

See you all next time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Sungodbr

<mod snip- no transfers allowed>

jcsmum wrote: »

Actually I'm mixing you and Chinguetti up now.

I'm hurt, so i am jcsmum:D. Ok, we've both got grey hair, same height about and ran 20 miles together yesterday but Meno complains more than me though and i've a cultured Waterford accent to boot:p

chinguetti wrote: »
    same height

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Shorty :pac:

ok, I may only be less than an inch taller

Good things come in small packets, o tall one!

chinguetti wrote: »
    I'm hurt, so i am jcsmum:D. Ok, we've both got grey hair, same height about and ran 20 miles together yesterday but Meno complains more than me though and i've a cultured Waterford accent to boot:p

I can assure you both it was nothing to do with similiar anything - it was down to tiredness and a frazzled brain. :D
    I won't make the same mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

William72|||118.9||
    The Wexican|||142||
    rofno1|3|18|159||
    boccy23|||168||
    brophya2007|||200.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||138||
    RayCun|||257.2||
    littlebug|||214.2||
    meathcountysec|||341.93||
    DigiJem|||206||
    D Chief|||164.2||
    digger2d2|||234||
    Curl52|||346||
    ilovetorun |||226||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||180||
    corked|||190.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|||200||
    RubyK|||254.90||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||87||
    Mrslow|4|29.4|121.65|Thankfully seem to be back in action, ran 15.4 in old runners and my feet suffered a lot for the last two, next weeks 18 miler is gonna sting:eek::eek::eek:|
    marrona|||242.59||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|||333.5||

Here we go again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

mrslow wrote: »
    William72|||118.9||
    The Wexican|||142||
    rofno1|3|18|159||
    boccy23|||168||
    brophya2007|||200.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||138||
    RayCun|||257.2||
    littlebug|||214.2||
    DigiJem|||206||
    D Chief|||164.2||
    digger2d2|||234||
    Curl52|||346||
    ilovetorun |||226||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||180||
    corked|||190.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|||200||
    RubyK|||254.90||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||87||
    Mrslow|4|29.4|121.65|Thankfully seem to be back in action, ran 15.4 in old runners and my feet suffered a lot for the last two, next weeks 18 miler is gonna sting:eek::eek::eek:|
    marrona|||242.59||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|4|29|c329|looking forward to meeting up next Saturday, not so sure I'll do the 18 miles, I'd be happy with 16!|
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|||333.5||

Down at the Longford M/HM today, lovely day, good turnout about 3000 I'd say. Got round the HM in more or less bang on 2 hours. No problems with the calf which was a big plus for me and I seemed to finish strong over the last two miles to get in at 2 hours which was good. The thoughts of having to be in a position to do twice that distance in 8 weeks time is pretty dautning to be honest but we'll keep with the programme and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

William72|||118.9||
    The Wexican|||142||
    rofno1|3|18|159||
    boccy23|||168||
    brophya2007|||200.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||138||
    RayCun|||257.2||
    littlebug|||214.2||
    DigiJem|||206||
    D Chief|||164.2||
    digger2d2|||234||
    Curl52|||346||
    ilovetorun |||226||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||180||
    corked|||190.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|35|235|I found my 15m lrs really tough mentally. I really regret not getting in for the group run|
    RubyK|||254.90||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||87||
    marrona|||242.59||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|||333.5||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

William72|||118.9||
    The Wexican|||142||
    rofno1|3|18|159||
    boccy23|||168||
    brophya2007|||200.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||138||
    RayCun|||257.2||
    littlebug|||214.2||
    DigiJem|||206||
    D Chief|3|27.6|191.8|Tough week but still on track. Minor ankle sprain/twist on Thursday so skipped 4 miles on Firday. Did 16.6 miles in Park this morning. Tough going but got through it.|
    digger2d2|||234||
    Curl52|||346||
    ilovetorun |||226||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||180||
    corked|||190.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|35|235|I found my 15m lrs really tough mentally. I really regret not getting in for the group run|
    RubyK|||254.90||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||87||
    marrona|||242.59||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|||333.5||

On Thursday I did 7.6 miles. After 2 miles or so I trod on the edge of a kerb and twisted my ankle. Felt ok and ran 5 or 5 1/2 miles more. Afterwards it started to feel sore. I iced it but it was a bit sawollen on Friday morning, so I decided not to do the scheduled 4 miles. I was confident it was only minor, I could walk fine, no limp or anything, and would be ok for run on Sunday morning.
    Did 16.6 miles around the Phoenix Park this morning and ankle was fine. Found it tough going up the main road in the Park around 11-12 miles but kept going ok. Took energy gels for first time ever at about 6 and 12 miles. Sticky, messy yokes. Probably are good for me though.
    I felt wrecked at the end of the run and once again was cold and shivery but I have recovered ok.
    Looking forward to next week now ...

Advertisement