Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

i plan to do 4 x20 in training, including the athlone 3/4 20 mile thing, i would agree with jcsmum that doing over 22 has little benefit, law of diminishing returns etc, but hats off to that girl who ran 26 miles in training, that takes alot of determination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

BrokenMan wrote: »
    I have 1x 19 done and will be hopefully doing 3 X 20 every second weekend starting this one.

I was planing on doing one of the 20's as a 22 but my brother who is a fairly experienced marathon runner advised me not to go over the 20 miles on my first attempt.

Ditto.
    I was also under the impression that going over 20miles ahead of the marathon could potentially be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Ditto.
    I was also under the impression that going over 20miles ahead of the marathon could potentially be dangerous.

Great that's pressure off then, 20 miles max it is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

mrslow wrote: »
    Do you not think you'll be tired for the half? Some of us are doing 18 this week (to tick the box) then 15 as a taper for the half.

Maybe you're right Mr. Slow, would be fresh for the half and would feel better going into it getting the miles under the belt.

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|3|26.5|145.4|Back on track!|
    The Wexican|4|31.5|173.5|Best week to date, Saturday's LSR was a grea confidence booster|
    rofno1|3|23|182|Pulled up on midweek 7 miles with sore calf:o|
    boccy23|3|24|168||
    brophya2007|3|23|223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||138||
    RayCun|3|30.6|287.8|Legs were in bits after Saturday's run, but seem to be (mostly) better now|
    littlebug|4|26|240.2|easy midweek miles and new HM pb:)|
    meathcountysec|5|38.64|380.57|Longest distance covered in a week, ever|
    DigiJem|3|26|232|toughest week so far for me, but the group run for the LSR made it a bit easier|
    D Chief|3|27.6|191.8|Tough week but still on track. Minor ankle sprain/twist on Thursday so skipped 4 miles on Firday. Did 16.6 miles in Park this morning. Tough going but got through it.|
    digger2d2|5|37|271|Got rid of the 17 miles lsr aches with a fast 3 miler on sunday|
    Curl52|4|35|361|Took it easy at the start of the week after the Frank Duffy race but legs still felt sore during my LSR of 16miles on Sat. Didn't really get into my LSR at all, felt tired from start to finish. Am glad to be away for the weekend this week and miss my LSR feels like my body needs a rest|
    ilovetorun |4|41|267|Really enjoyed the week|
    James Howlett|5|40|278|Had to work the weekend (7days in a row) so cut my saturday run short and moved my LSR to Monday. My LSR was 19 this week, 1 shy of Mr. 20 Mile LSR, whom I look forward to facing this weekend.|
    RallyRunner|4|29|209|Really enjoyed the LSR with all the gang on Saturday morning. Now I'm over the 200 mile marker on this plan :)|
    corked|4|23.5|213.5|Had a disaster of a LSR only managed 10miles due to tiredness - have dingle half nxt weekend - anyone doing it??:D |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|35|235|I found my 15m lrs really tough mentally. I really regret not getting in for the group run|
    RubyK|4|42.9|297.80|LSR of 25.8 miles went much better than expected. Maybe it's stupid to have nearly covered the distance, I don't know, but just glad it went well, and I didn't hit the wall, like I did last week|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|29|116|15 miler completed with Boardsies, really enjoyed it, bath afterwards saved me|
    Mrslow|4|29.4|121.65|Thankfully seem to be back in action, ran 15.4 in old runners and my feet suffered a lot for the last two, next weeks 18 miler is gonna sting:eek::eek::eek:|
    marrona|||242.59||
    Agent J|4|40|139|20 Miles. Hurt my ankle on mile 17.|
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|4|28|361.5|3 easy runs and HM Race with a nice new PB|

Some Mother-****er threw a water-balloon at me while on my LSR. Thankfully they missed but ffs, just because you can't complete any worthwhile achievements doesn't mean you should try to hinder mine.

• Advertisement

Maybe you're right Mr. Slow, would be fresh for the half and would feel better going into it getting the miles under the belt.

Saturday morning 9am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Question:

On the back of Ruby K's mammoth runs and that other lunatic JEmily seeking out massive mileage before the big day, I was wondering how many of you will run 20 more than once in training and how many will run farther?

20 last saturday, 20 more this saturday, 20 again first saturday in october.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

No wonder - with The Wexican and his hills:P and JEmily encouraging it.

There was hills on that run? I didn't notice any... :P

On the issue of going over 20 miles - have already discussed this briefly with RubyK on her log - I would really caution everyone against it. The benefit gained from it would be far outweighed by the risks of injury and the extra requirement for time off to recover. Yes, elite runners do go close to full marathon distance, some even go over it, but they're doing it in the context of 120+ mile weeks and knowing how much time and the correct type of training they require to recover from it.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun!! For most of you this is your first, the best piece of advice I got for mine was to make sure I enjoyed it. I didn't get anywhere near my time goal but had so much fun going around that it was a great experience and I wasn't even slightly disappointed afterwards. You only get one first marathon, make sure it's memorable for the right reasons and not because you killed yourself in training/during the race.

Going up to 21/22 miles shouldn't be hugely more taxing on the body than 20, but you've got to ask yourself what the benefit is? A huge part of the marathon is the psychological aspect and I think that's what pushed RubyK (and is pushing JEmily) to go longer. But in reality, you can all run a 10k. It doesn't matter if there's 20 miles in your legs already, you'll make it to the end - pushing yourself to 22+ miles isn't going to help in that final 10k IMO.

But if you do decide to do it, I hope it goes well and make sure you rest up a lot in the week following it!

Question:

On the back of Ruby K's mammoth runs and that other lunatic JEmily seeking out massive mileage before the big day, I was wondering how many of you will run 20 more than once in training and how many will run farther?

Plan involved three 20's. Not likely that I'll get to do all of them because of real life and racing, but will try to get two at a minimum. Confidence is flying after the 19 at the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Saturday morning 9am?

Bit of a trek from Limerick but might be interested in meeting up with ye all for the 20 miler. I'm not going to do Athlone 3/4 Marathon after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

littlebug wrote: »
    It IS all a joke about Nachoqueen and the Nachos right? :confused:
    jcsmum wrote: »
    It was so annoying running beside her, crumbs flying everywhere :D;)

Totally agree......17 miles and she didn't even offer us any !!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Hi all

Just been looking at a route for Saturday's 18 miler, and as per Mr Slows suggestion we could do two laps so we can get back to the cars for a water stop.

Anyhoo, I know there was a lot of disappointment that we didn't take in the kyber last week , so thanks to the laps we get to run up it twice :D. But at least we can then free wheel down Chesterfield Avenue.

It's a little over 18 miles, but with all the talk of 20 and 22 milers sure who'll mind those extra couple of yards.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/phoenix%20park/281128325656111089

Am i the only one who hates running the same route twice???

P.S. I think your doing a sterling job on the routes, including the hills (mr.slow):) You just can't please some people;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm most likely only going to do one 20 myself, my own training has been a disaster (due to trying to write my masters thesis and a whole load of life happening too) and I'm desperately trying to salvage what I can from it. Probably going to go 16/18/half/20/16 over the next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭boccy23

Would like to join ye all for the 18 miler on Saturday if that was ok. The LSRs are very mentally tough on your lonesome when 10+ miles.
    When and where do ye meet up?

xebec wrote: »
    Remember, this is supposed to be fun!! For most of you this is your first, the best piece of advice I got for mine was to make sure I enjoyed it. I didn't get anywhere near my time goal but had so much fun going around that it was a great experience and I wasn't even slightly disappointed afterwards. You only get one first marathon, make sure it's memorable for the right reasons and not because you killed yourself in training/during the race.
    I'm just going to quote this because it needs to be repeated. The Dublin marathon is an incredible experience, I'd really love to see you all enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

ah lads - you're wrecking my head now. My plan was the exact same as brophys i.e. 16/18/Half but now I'm wondering. Not sure if I can get up to 18 this weekend though, the last 2 of the 15 was really tough - maybe I'll make a call at 16 and either go home or go for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

boccy23 wrote: »
    When and where do ye meet up?

Knockmaroon gate, it's the one beside the Furry Glen. I won't speculate as to why that meeting point was chosen :D

Having real trouble with my pace after 13 miles. Can do the 13 miles in an hour 54 minutes. But my form goes out the windown totally after that.:(

Bit of a trek from Limerick but might be interested in meeting up with ye all for the 20 miler. I'm not going to do Athlone 3/4 Marathon after all.

Get the train to Heuston, book online and it's for buttons - The park is around the corner, Sorted;)

JEmily wrote: »
    Am i the only one who hates running the same route twice???

P.S. I think your doing a sterling job on the routes, including the hills (mr.slow):) You just can't please some people;)

We can reverse the route on the second pass!

• Advertisement

Having real trouble with my pace after 13 miles. Can do the 13 miles in an hour 54 minutes. But my form goes out the windown totally after that.:(

Don't worry about form, I turn into a dribbling mess after 9 ;)

RayCun wrote: »
    Knockmaroon gate, it's the one beside the Furry Glen. I won't speculate as to why that meeting point was chosen :D

Well Ray I've always felt we had a special something;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

William72 wrote: »
    ah lads - you're wrecking my head now. My plan was the exact same as brophys i.e. 16/18/Half but now I'm wondering. Not sure if I can get up to 18 this weekend though, the last 2 of the 15 was really tough - maybe I'll make a call at 16 and either go home or go for it :)

Probably going to wreck your head a little more now. I did a half last Sunday and had done 19 the Sunday before, I cut back a little on the miles last week leading up to the Half as a little mini taper Rest/4/7/4/rest/rest and found I was nice and fresh for it. In the overall context it's important to get your long runs in I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

I only plan on doing the 20 once in the Athlone 3/4. Schedule for the next 5 weeks is 16/12/18/14/20. 16 would be further than I've ever gone before so would be happy to do that this weekend but I'll see how things pan out in the park and if I'm still hanging in there I'll try and stick with you guys for those last 2 miles.

I don't know how fast you're planning on doing the marathon, but if it's anything around 4 hours then you're going far too fast. Ease off the pace on the long runs, really should be 45-90 seconds per mile slower than your target pace.
    Don't worry about form, I turn into a dribbling mess after 9 ;)

Form is very important!! Poor form leads to injuries, injuries lead to missing races/training, missing races/training makes people unhappy... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭boccy23

Injuries and more injuries. Had allowed for the usual knees, hips etc.
    Then tonight running and a bloody fly of some sort goes into my eye. Combination of the fly, sweat and repeated rubbing has left me with a very sore eye, a headache and a general case of annoyance.

No-one said it would be easy. But between chaffing, bloody nipples and now flys, it is definitely a learning process. :mad:

Enjoyed my cross-training tonight; Roller-Blading.
    I don't think I could have picked anything more unsuitable :)

Enjoyed my cross-training tonight; Roller-Blading.
    I don't think I could have picked anything more unsuitable :)

But it was fun! :)

sure was :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

No wonder - with The Wexican and his hills:P and JEmily encouraging it.

Ha, more like running at your pace Mr Fast ;) Running on the pavement didn't do me much good either. I nearly always run on trails and grass. I know we are a big group but would there be any chance of including some softer surfaces on the long run? There is a wide trail the length of Chesterfield Ave and lots of fields too! How do people feel about that?
    I know, but I don't feel like I'm 'looking down' at 15.4 - I remember every footfall for the last two milesfrown.gif

I'm really excited about 18 though eek.gif

I think Ray Cun is onto something about the Furry Glen, MrSlow seems to be a bit of a masochist;)

Boccy: Would you mind throwing my details back into the table please, I can't quote myself.

My plan for the next 6 weeks are pretty much the same as Brophya's -
    17/ 18/ Half / 14 / 20
    I don't like making big jumps in milage and for me the long runs are more important than the half marathon. More than anything I want to enjoy the marathon and not injure myself. As Rainbow said, we will only have one first marathon. Most marathon runners I spoke to wished they had relaxed and enjoyed it more. So words to the wise fellow marathon virgins :)

Advertisement