Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Enjoyed my cross-training tonight; Roller-Blading.
    I don't think I could have picked anything more unsuitable :)

Eh, wall climbing! I didn't even tell my coach, he would totally disapprove. Where did you do it? I want to give it a go too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭boccy23

Boccy: Would you mind throwing my details back into the table please, I can't quote myself.
    Sorry, it won't accept it from me either. Comes up with "No Code inserted here" when I try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

boccy23 wrote: »
    Sorry, it won't accept it from me either. Comes up with "No Code inserted here" when I try.

Try refreshing the page and it may reappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|3|26.5|145.4|Back on track!|
    The Wexican|4|31.5|173.5|Best week to date, Saturday's LSR was a grea confidence booster|
    rofno1|3|23|182|Pulled up on midweek 7 miles with sore calf:o|
    boccy23|3|24|192||
    brophya2007|3|23|223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|4|26|154|I am very happy with the lsr of 15.4 miles. The company def made it easier. Cycled 60 miles|
    RayCun|3|30.6|287.8|Legs were in bits after Saturday's run, but seem to be (mostly) better now|
    littlebug|4|26|240.2|easy midweek miles and new HM pb:)|
    meathcountysec|5|38.64|380.57|Longest distance covered in a week, ever|
    DigiJem|3|26|232|toughest week so far for me, but the group run for the LSR made it a bit easier|
    D Chief|3|27.6|191.8|Tough week but still on track. Minor ankle sprain/twist on Thursday so skipped 4 miles on Firday. Did 16.6 miles in Park this morning. Tough going but got through it.|
    digger2d2|5|37|271|Got rid of the 17 miles lsr aches with a fast 3 miler on sunday|
    Curl52|4|35|361|Took it easy at the start of the week after the Frank Duffy race but legs still felt sore during my LSR of 16miles on Sat. Didn't really get into my LSR at all, felt tired from start to finish. Am glad to be away for the weekend this week and miss my LSR feels like my body needs a rest|
    ilovetorun |4|41|267|Really enjoyed the week|
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|4|29|209|Really enjoyed the LSR with all the gang on Saturday morning. Now I'm over the 200 mile marker on this plan :)|
    corked|4|23.5|213.5|Had a disaster of a LSR only managed 10miles due to tiredness - have dingle half nxt weekend - anyone doing it??:D |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|35|235|I found my 15m lrs really tough mentally. I really regret not getting in for the group run|
    RubyK|4|42.9|297.80|LSR of 25.8 miles went much better than expected. Maybe it's stupid to have nearly covered the distance, I don't know, but just glad it went well, and I didn't hit the wall, like I did last week|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|29|116|15 miler completed with Boardsies, really enjoyed it, bath afterwards saved me|
    Mrslow|4|29.4|121.65|Thankfully seem to be back in action, ran 15.4 in old runners and my feet suffered a lot for the last two, next weeks 18 miler is gonna sting:eek::eek::eek:|
    marrona|||242.59||
    Agent J|4|40|139|20 Miles. Hurt my ankle on mile 17.|
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|4|28|361.5|3 easy runs and HM Race with a nice new PB|

Ok I put us both in again and I added up your total mileage too, hope you don't mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Eh, wall climbing! I didn't even tell my coach, he would totally disapprove. Where did you do it? I want to give it a go too.

I spotted a pair in a Charity Shop for €5 last week.
    Just got around to cleaning them tonight and went for a local spin, I'm not sure where in Dublin does it though.

Now Wall-Climbing, there's an interesting idea...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Who was that i spotted at the Old Mill Pub, tallaght last night running. Around 5.30pm. Think it was Digger? Am i right, blue t-shirt!

You can't hide...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

My hubby tried tennis as cross training last weekend (he's training for the DCM too) - lesson learnt- DONT!! He twisted something in his knee and hasn't gotten a run in yet this week.

I was with my physio last night and he advised me not to try anything new (for cross training) from here on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

JEmily wrote: »
    Who was that i spotted at the Old Mill Pub, tallaght last night running. Around 5.30pm. Think it was Digger? Am i right, blue t-shirt!

You can't hide...;)

Yep.....That was me alright JEmily!

ilovetorun wrote: »
    My hubby tried tennis as cross training last weekend (he's training for the DCM too) - lesson learnt- DONT!! He twisted something in his knee and hasn't gotten a run in yet this week.

I was with my physio last night and he advised me not to try anything new (for cross training) from here on in.

Well, there's a lot of stress on our knees during this period and any sport that requires a degree of twisting, turning, quick stops etc. is best avoided imo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|3|26.5|145.4|Back on track!|
    The Wexican|4|31.5|173.5|Best week to date, Saturday's LSR was a grea confidence booster|
    rofno1|3|23|182|Pulled up on midweek 7 miles with sore calf:o|
    boccy23|3|24|192||
    brophya2007|3|23|223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|4|26|154|I am very happy with the lsr of 15.4 miles. The company def made it easier. Cycled 60 miles|
    RayCun|3|30.6|287.8|Legs were in bits after Saturday's run, but seem to be (mostly) better now|
    littlebug|4|26|240.2|easy midweek miles and new HM pb:)|
    meathcountysec|5|38.64|380.57|Longest distance covered in a week, ever|
    DigiJem|3|26|232|toughest week so far for me, but the group run for the LSR made it a bit easier|
    D Chief|3|27.6|191.8|Tough week but still on track. Minor ankle sprain/twist on Thursday so skipped 4 miles on Firday. Did 16.6 miles in Park this morning. Tough going but got through it.|
    digger2d2|5|37|271|Got rid of the 17 miles lsr aches with a fast 3 miler on sunday|
    Curl52|4|35|361|Took it easy at the start of the week after the Frank Duffy race but legs still felt sore during my LSR of 16miles on Sat. Didn't really get into my LSR at all, felt tired from start to finish. Am glad to be away for the weekend this week and miss my LSR feels like my body needs a rest|
    ilovetorun |4|41|267|Really enjoyed the week|
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|4|29|209|Really enjoyed the LSR with all the gang on Saturday morning. Now I'm over the 200 mile marker on this plan :)|
    corked|4|23.5|213.5|Had a disaster of a LSR only managed 10miles due to tiredness - have dingle half nxt weekend - anyone doing it??:D |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|35|235|I found my 15m lrs really tough mentally. I really regret not getting in for the group run|
    RubyK|4|42.9|297.80|LSR of 25.8 miles went much better than expected. Maybe it's stupid to have nearly covered the distance, I don't know, but just glad it went well, and I didn't hit the wall, like I did last week|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|29|116|15 miler completed with Boardsies, really enjoyed it, bath afterwards saved me|
    Mrslow|4|29.4|121.65|Thankfully seem to be back in action, ran 15.4 in old runners and my feet suffered a lot for the last two, next weeks 18 miler is gonna sting:eek::eek::eek:|
    marrona|2|21.58|264.17|on holliers, didnt run much. dreaded lsr all w/e because first time to do 15 but realy enjoyed it (turned out was only 14.5 though!). very bad chaffing unfor:o|
    Agent J|4|40|139|20 Miles. Hurt my ankle on mile 17.|
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|4|28|361.5|3 easy runs and HM Race with a nice new PB|

• Advertisement

does aybody use anything different? or not use anything at all?i've tried a few different gels on LSRs and find them dfficult to take, don't like taste or texture or feel of them. find them hard to open and always end up with stickiness all over hands and clothes and headphones. i've only ever managed to take a little bit but have never noticed any real difference. should i just hold my nose and down it like a tequila, rest assured that the benefits will flow??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I'm not really a fan either marrona, and have had similar experiences to you :o I've forced myself to take 2 on my last few LSR's, but I can't say they really did anything for me. But what I did find really good last week, was Lucozade Energise drinks (I hid 4 250ml bottles along my route) and jellybabies.

Energise is what will be provided on the day of the marathon - so maybe test it out on your LSR's now, to see if you like it.

HTH

lucozade and jelly babies, sounds like a kids' party! look forward to it!

what does HTH stand for?? I can't take all the abbreviations - took me ages to figure out DCM!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

marrona wrote: »
    lucozade and jelly babies, sounds like a kids' party! look forward to it!

It does actually, doesn't it. And we also get to chase big balloons on the day too. Yep, one big party :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

marrona wrote: »
    what does HTH stand for?? I can't take all the abbreviations - took me ages to figure out DCM!!!

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

hey guys, is that the final route on saturday? not venturing outside the park this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

nachoqueen wrote: »
    hey guys, is that the final route on saturday? not venturing outside the park this week?

It'll save a bit of tree climbing, retrieving stashed water bottles ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Have you decided on 2 laps or reversing for the second lap?

I am doing 14 miles hopefully and want to plan where to break off from the group and route back to where we park.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Have you decided on 2 laps or reversing for the second lap?

I am doing 14 miles hopefully and want to plan where to break off from the group and route back to where we park.

I think reversing might be the way to go as it will vary the rises etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

will have guacamole, salsa and sourcreme placed along route !

*approves of this* :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Your order is complete!

1 x Lifestyle Sports adidas Race Series - €98.00

:eek::eek::eek: OMG, just registered myself now for the Half Marathon and DCM :eek::eek::eek:

JEmily wrote: »
    Your order is complete!

1 x Lifestyle Sports adidas Race Series - €98.00

:eek::eek::eek: OMG, just registered myself now for the Half Marathon and DCM :eek::eek::eek:

Now you're suckin diesel boss!

Your crumbs from last week will show the way....Hansel and Gretel style...

Hi all,

Just lookin for a show of hands for Saturdays run, The Wexican posted the route yesterday and just to confirm it's 9 miles x 2 laps with the second being a reverse route. Plan is to grab a water stop and refill bottles etc at the halfway point.

Look forward to seein ya'll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

As before, I'll be starting earlier, running to and from the park, and popping out to that shop along the way to get water - so I won't start with you all, but I'll remember your route and plan to bump into you.

(Wexican's route again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

The Dublin Marathon Facebook page has a video of this year's marathon route;

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/dublinmarathon

Very cool!

• Advertisement

Was actually just about to post this! Well worth a watch.

Advertisement