Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

It looks like a long way:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »

It is - but that's what all this training has been preparing you for!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Your last long run was 15 miles, right? That gets you more than 4 minutes into the video, to just past the KCR. You can check again after Saturday's run...

RayCun wrote: »
    Your last long run was 15 miles, right? That gets you more than 4 minutes into the video, to just past the KCR. You can check again after Saturday's run...

I have the course on my office wall, 15.4 gets me right to where Fortfield Rd becomes Templeogue Rd - and there's still miles to go:(

Thankfully reaching 18 on Saturday will bring me within a hair of a medical station ;)

Thankfully reaching 18 on Saturday will bring me within a hair of a medical station ;)

Yeah, and to the bottom of a hill :D

• Advertisement

It is - but that's what all this training has been preparing you for!

I keep telling myself that, that the idea is to teach the body to run long distances when tired so that when you taper before the race you'll be 100% and well able to tackle the mileage required.

Yeah, and to the bottom of a hill :D

Way to kick me while I'm down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Regarding this year's route, I am familiar with the beginning up to the end of Phoenix Park and then I'm blind until the course passes UCD.

This kinda sucks as familiar places can give you a boost every so often and all my known locations will come up early :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

The only part of the course I know is O'Connell Street :eek: :o

Regarding this year's route, I am familiar with the beginning up to the end of Phoenix Park and then I'm blind until the course passes UCD.

This kinda sucks as familiar places can give you a boost every so often and all my known locations will come up early :(

Maybe drive it a few times or grab a coffee somewhere along the route to have a point later in the course to be familiar with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Hi all,

Just lookin for a show of hands for Saturdays run, The Wexican posted the route yesterday and just to confirm it's 9 miles x 2 laps with the second being a reverse route. Plan is to grab a water stop and refill bottles etc at the halfway point.

Look forward to seein ya'll!

Yeh, I'm in and 18 miles is spot on for my schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Maybe drive it a few times or grab a coffee somewhere along the route to have a point later in the course to be familiar with?

At first I was like "ah no it's okay..."
    but that's not a bad idea at all.
    Thanks man.

It should be interesting to run down O'Connell Street knowing they closed it off especially for us eh?

At first I was like "ah no it's okay..."
    but that's not a bad idea at all.
    Thanks man.

It should be interesting to run down O'Connell Street knowing they closed it off especially for us eh?

I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Yeh, I'm in and 18 miles is spot on for my schedule!

X2, but someone will have to meet me as i've forgotten the route my running buddy drove last weekend, doh!

Just a quick reminder that race numbers are available for collection on Saturday from 10am and Sunday from 11am this weekend at Lifestyle Sports in Blanchardstown (Retail Park).

Don't Forget Now!

JEmily wrote: »
    X2, but someone will have to meet me as i've forgotten the route my running buddy drove last weekend, doh!

Where can you get to?

The Dublin Marathon Facebook page has a video of this year's marathon route;

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/dublinmarathon

Oh my God, does that make anyone elses stomach turn. Don't know if it's nerves, excitement, shock or all 3.

I'll have to familiarise myself with areas aswell. Haven't a clue of locations at all, apart from Walkinstown area.

Where can you get to?

Walkinstown, Crumlin, St. James' Gate...any help, Dame Street...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Just a quick reminder that race numbers are available for collection on Saturday from 10am and Sunday from 11am this weekend at Lifestyle Sports in Blanchardstown (Retail Park).

Don't Forget Now!

Should have made the LSR route out through Castleknock to Blanch and back....

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

I have the course on my office wall, 15.4 gets me right to where Fortfield Rd becomes Templeogue Rd - and there's still miles to go:(

starting to get freaked out now - injured around the same time as you mrslow - also ended up running 15.4 instead of 15 last weekend, and now you tell me you have a map of the course pinned up, was just looking at mine a min ago...

...reason being - that video - so glad I watched it. I thought we took a left at the bottom of Fenian st and finished on Merrion Sq - had no idea about the trip down pearse st and back around - that would no doubt have literally killed me on the day. And yes looking at my map I can see it clearly now.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

William72 wrote: »
    starting to get freaked out now - injured around the same time as you mrslow - also ended up running 15.4 instead of 15 last weekend, and now you tell me you have a map of the course pinned up, was just looking at mine a min ago...

...reason being - that video - so glad I watched it. I thought we took a left at the bottom of Fenian st and finished on Merrion Sq - had no idea about the trip down pearse st and back around - that would no doubt have literally killed me on the day. And yes looking at my map I can see it clearly now.... :rolleyes:

Maybe we were separated at birth?

Are we getting fitter or just better able to last longer?

Bit of both, really! :)

JEmily wrote: »
    Walkinstown, Crumlin, St. James' Gate...any help, Dame Street...

from walkinstown drive down through Crumlin. Turn left after the shopping centre/gym/garda station, straight across the canal, through roundabout in rialto, over the railway bridge and left at the bottom of the hill (just before james' hospital). At the next set of traffic lights turn right, that brings you past kilmainham, across the liffey,(past where we ran into the war memorial gardens) right up to the wall of the park. Turn left there, and Knockmaroon would be the third gate into the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

from walkinstown drive down through Crumlin. Turn left after the shopping centre/gym/garda station, straight across the canal, through roundabout in rialto, over the railway bridge and left at the bottom of the hill (just before james' hospital). At the next set of traffic lights turn right, that brings you past kilmainham, across the liffey,(past where we ran into the war memorial gardens) right up to the wall of the park. Turn left there, and Knockmaroon would be the third gate into the park.

Jees, I know how to get there and even I'm confused by those instructions!!

I'm out this weekend, really looking forward to Dingle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Don't Forget Now!

No need to go out to Blanchardstown. They'll post them out to you if you don't collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Yeah so my foot is still bugging me.

I did nothing since my LSR on saturday(Where i went over on my ankle).
    Went for a 5k last night but it was still a little sore. Did a 25km cycle to work and my foot is still niggling at me. Its not painful but its letting me know something isnt right.

Im going to have to take the next week off training and if it hasnt completely gone by then see a doc or someone.

^ I'd go and get that checked out sooner rather than later, just for your own sake.

xebec wrote: »
    Jees, I know how to get there and even I'm confused by those instructions!!

Yeah, couldn't do a map in work :)
    Here you go, here's a simpler route from walkinstown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

As before, I'll be starting earlier, running to and from the park, and popping out to that shop along the way to get water - so I won't start with you all, but I'll remember your route and plan to bump into you.

Is that the shop at the top of Infirmiary Rd? Hadn't thought of that. Last Sunday I carried 2 bottles to the Park, hid one for the second lap.

Advertisement