Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

^ I'd go and get that checked out sooner rather than later, just for your own sake.

Yeah you are probably right. Id just rather not shell out 60 euro on a GP unless i have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I just went and did it, I bought myself a Garmin:D

From me to myself with love;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

mrslow wrote: »

Congrats Mrslow. Well wear. Am toying with the idea myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Good man, I just upgraded from a forerunner 50 to a forerunner 305. It should be arriving tomorrow. Think I deserved it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

D Chief wrote: »
    Is that the shop at the top of Infirmiary Rd? Hadn't thought of that. Last Sunday I carried 2 bottles to the Park, hid one for the second lap.

Yes, that's the one. 500ml bottle of water with a sports cap for a euro, and you're in and out in seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Just a quick reminder that race numbers are available for collection on Saturday from 10am and Sunday from 11am this weekend at Lifestyle Sports in Blanchardstown (Retail Park).

Don't Forget Now!

Thanks mrslow...I had forgotten!, will head in there after our lsr...With a big red face on me and walking like a crab with arthritis.....

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, that's the one. 500ml bottle of water with a sports cap for a euro, and you're in and out in seconds.

Is there room to keep running on the spot? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Agent J wrote: »
    Yeah you are probably right. Id just rather not shell out 60 euro on a GP unless i have to.

I wouldn't go to a GP, they really wouldn't be good for sports injuries and would just tell you to stop running.
    Go to a Physio, for €60 you'll get an expert opinion, an hours session (painful but good) and rehabilitation exercises if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Not fair, i'm totally jealous. Now your new runners and a garmin...:mad:

Just a quick reminder that race numbers are available for collection on Saturday from 10am and Sunday from 11am this weekend at Lifestyle Sports in Blanchardstown (Retail Park).

Don't Forget Now!

I think they post them out if your not from Dublin??? Is that right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Hi JEmily,
    They'll post you out the details if you're not from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Fair play MrSlow. I love shiny new gadgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If anyone hasn't noticed the thread out in the main forum, some branches of TKMaxx appear to have Nike Lunarglides in stock for €50. Worth a look if you wear them and want a replacement pair soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

JEmily wrote: »
    I think they post them out if your not from Dublin??? Is that right?

They post them out to everyone, whether you are from dublin or not once they are not picked up in Blanchardstown. It has been discussed many times in the race series thread in the events sections and confirmed by the organisers.
    It is not worth going out. It's all a marketing ploy to try to get you to the Lifestyle shop to sell you some adidas gear.

I should point out that I had my 10 mile number and chip posted out to me about a week before the race and I'm in Dublin 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ye all have fun now on Saturday. I'll be resting the legs as i've a 10k in Skerries that afternoon. Enjoy the Kyber (its not as bad as ye think) and i'll meet ye next weekend for a few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

another nice video (shots of last year): http://www.irishtimes.com/indepth/slideshows/Dublin-Marathon/

marrona wrote: »
    another nice video (shots of last year): http://www.irishtimes.com/indepth/slideshows/Dublin-Marathon/

Isn't that fab, i'm feeling a bit emotional here now!

Yeah, couldn't do a map in work :)
    Here you go, here's a simpler route from walkinstown

I've printed off this, thanks Ray, although i think the other directions made more sense to me:rolleyes: Where is Tower Road in relation to where we all meet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

JEmily wrote: »
    I've printed off this, thanks Ray, although i think the other directions made more sense to me:rolleyes: Where is Tower Road in relation to where we all meet?

If you came out the gate at Knockmaroon and turned right, there'd be a fork just in front of you. Tower Road is the right fork.

If you came out the gate at Knockmaroon and turned right, there'd be a fork just in front of you. Tower Road is the right fork.

Thanks, getting more confused by the minute...not your fault - just me! If all else fails i'll jog it at home and then meet up again next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

well done - you'll never look back - strap on mine broke recently and I carried it in my hand for 12 miles rather than leave it at home :D

William72 wrote: »
    well done - you'll never look back - strap on mine broke recently and I carried it in my hand for 12 miles rather than leave it at home :D

I was using it in the car this morning - child that I am;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

You better not be counting those miles :eek: :pac:

xebec wrote: »
    You better not be counting those miles :eek: :pac:

Do they not count?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

they make them for cars too you know... just sayin :p

William72 wrote: »
    they make them for cars too you know... just sayin :p

They make blue knee pads for cars ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

chinguetti wrote: »
    Ye all have fun now on Saturday. I'll be resting the legs as i've a 10k in Skerries that afternoon. Enjoy the Kyber (its not as bad as ye think) and i'll meet ye next weekend for a few miles.

Yeah, we will have lots of 'fun' going up the Kyber Mr "lets do the Kyber next week, but I wont be there, ha ha" Chinquetti! Sheesh :rolleyes:
    Break a leg in the 10k :P

I will be there on Saturday, well in some sort of shape anyway. But I was wondering if anyone wants to do the second half of the route on trails and grass? I know it is a bit tougher but it is easier on our joints, more fun and really beautiful. I can do up the route if people are up for it.

Just back from a 5.2 mile run...Wow, it's hot out there.....

A question to all my fellow inmates....Are you eating more than usual? I'm eating like a horse, I wake up hungry, have brekkie and am ready to eat again at 11.30....Then again around 3, dinner at 6.30 and sambos and tea at 8.30....That's not like me at all...I don't know whether my body requires more calories cos of the increased mileage or the fact that I'm no longer celebrating Arthur's Day 5 times a week!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Went out with my new forerunner 305 today. Couldn't stop looking at it :D

Nice handy 4.21 miler - running straight into the sun for the last mile, it's very hot out there. Better get out extra early on sat if it stays like this.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47266467 :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Well.... Damn.

Recap. Slipped on wet uneven terrain on a LSR last saturday. Went over my ankle. Its still bugging me a few days later and per advice here went to a Doctor about it.

Ive over streched my Achilles tendon it seems. 2 weeks off training, no half marathon. The full is still possible in theory but to take it slow after the 2 weeks. She also suggested some sort of support for it as well.

This is all from the Doc btw. She was very adamant to rest it for a few weeks or i risked snapping it and then and i quote "You will really know all about pain...".

So here is what i am thinking. Rest it till after the half marathon. No running,cycling or pretty much anything stressful. Build it back up and skip the taper section entirely. Maybe aim to peak 2 weeks before the marathon and slow down for the last week only.

In the mean time, im going to tighten the hell up on my diet.. which isnt bad but lots of room for improvement. Aim to drop a little more weight over the next 6 weeks.

I dont care if i end up running half the marathon and walking the other half. I am finishing it*

I am of course open to suggestions about how to do that...

*(Im not a total idiot, if i actually injure myself i'll stop... ;) )

Advertisement