Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

^^^^^
    I still say visit a Physio. A GP is not the person to go to with this sort of Ailment. A physio might have you back to working order in a week. It is amazing the problems they can fix with their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Just back from a 5.2 mile run...Wow, it's hot out there.....

A question to all my fellow inmates....Are you eating more than usual? I'm eating like a horse, I wake up hungry, have brekkie and am ready to eat again at 11.30....Then again around 3, dinner at 6.30 and sambos and tea at 8.30....That's not like me at all...I don't know whether my body requires more calories cos of the increased mileage or the fact that I'm no longer celebrating Arthur's Day 5 times a week!!!! :eek:

I was saying the same thing to Mrs RallyRunner earlier. I'm constantly looking for food. Like yourself, wake up hungry, porridge with all the trimmings, and I'm hungry again by 10:30.

I think the trick is to make sure we're filling up on the right type of grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Been starving myself the last few days. Sitting here now dunkin choccy chip biscuits. into a jar of nutella. Probably not an ideal snack for running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi guys,

Won't make it this Saturday. Have to get down to see the in-laws so meeting a friend I am doing the series with at 8am closer to home to do our 14 miles.

Midweek has gone well for me anyway. Three runs of 5, 7.6 & 5. Hopefully catch up with you all again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Just wondering ? I plan to do a 20 mile lsr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

nachoqueen wrote: »

Right so....I'll try for that as well...jcsmum are you up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A question to all my fellow inmates....Are you eating more than usual? I'm eating like a horse, I wake up hungry, have brekkie and am ready to eat again at 11.30....Then again around 3, dinner at 6.30 and sambos and tea at 8.30....That's not like me at all...I don't know whether my body requires more calories cos of the increased mileage or the fact that I'm no longer celebrating Arthur's Day 5 times a week!!!! :eek:

You'll be glad to know that it's entirely normal. Your body is working harder than it normally does because of the increased mileage, and it needs to be fed properly.

You'll be glad to know that it's entirely normal. Your body is working harder than it normally does because of the increased mileage, and it needs to be fed properly.

It's great...Eat more = Weigh less ;)

It's great...Eat more = Weigh less ;)

Totally the best thing about marathon training. Eating for Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Yeah, we will have lots of 'fun' going up the Kyber Mr "lets do the Kyber next week, but I wont be there, ha ha" Chinquetti! Sheesh :rolleyes:
    QUOTE]

Well i'm around next week so if ye want to do Kyber again next week, i'm game. Or we could do Kyber and Knocknamaroon hills on the same lap, i could do a route for us all? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

chinguetti wrote: »
    Well i'm around next week so if ye want to do Kyber again next week, i'm game. Or we could do Kyber and Knocknamaroon hills on the same lap, i could do a route for us all? :D

Can you get the Munich Hills and the Furry Glen into that loop too? Then I'm game! Hills are your friends, don't avoid them, embrace them. Will make life so much easier on race day if we've lots of hill training done...

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Thank God someone else is the same. I'm having brekki, then another post brekki, lunch, then 5pm pre dinner, then dinner, then snacks as dessert. Like wha' the...?! I'm normally a brekkie, lunch and dinner person and that's it. I keep eating crap, white breads, sugary sweets aswell, not good but i can't stop:o

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Hey Guys

Looking for some advice on another injury related problem! Has abyone ever pulled or strained a muscle in their stomach area while running? Did 12 miles last Sunday, 7 on Monday and since then have had terrible cramp like pains area stomach. Not feeling sick, appetitie same as ever but pain comes and goes and am afriad to go running! Has anyone had anything similar or is this common?

Dont want to fall behinf in training schedule in half marathon in just over 2 weeks so need to stick to plan! Thanks for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I do often feel the muscles in my abdomen after a hard run - apparently those muscles help drive your legs, which is why core training is recommended.
    If you're still feeling sore days after a run you should go see a physio. You might be told to lose a few days, but it's better than losing a few weeks through a worse injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I will be there on Saturday, well in some sort of shape anyway. But I was wondering if anyone wants to do the second half of the route on trails and grass? I know it is a bit tougher but it is easier on our joints, more fun and really beautiful. I can do up the route if people are up for it.

That wouldn't suit me at the moment due to my IT Band issue as I need to be hitting level ground as much as possible.

At least 6/7 I would say - 3 of those doing 18

so for saturday are we meeting at knockmarron at 9, same bat time, same bat channel?

I would love to do some of the run on trails etc, builds up quads etc

so for saturday are we meeting at knockmarron at 9, same bat time, same bat channel?

Does trail running build up quads differently to running up hills?

I'll be tracking yis by the dust cloud again, probably meet on the North road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Guys,

Signed up for the Half Marathon, this is my first time to ever do anything like this. I stupidly thought we could walk some of it. No smart comments please. Anyways with 2 weeks to go I need some advice on how to get my fitness up. I've been doing 6 and a quarter miles with a bit of walking/jogging in an hour and a half. How doable is it to get my fitness up to jogging 13 miles in 2 weeks. Any advice greatly appreciated and Best of Luck To Everyone :D

hey raycun
    my <non expert opinion disclaimer disclaimer > view on trails
    1.uses eccentric muscle fibers , ones not used on level ground , which can help all round muscle strength
    2. lower impact than road surface
    3. running on grass, less traction than hard surface, quads have to be used more

But of course...
    running on non level ground, higher chance of slipping, falling, this would not be good

Holy Sneakers Batman, 9am it is ;)

• Advertisement

If anyone hasn't noticed the thread out in the main forum, some branches of TKMaxx appear to have Nike Lunarglides in stock for €50. Worth a look if you wear them and want a replacement pair soon.

Yep, saw a few pairs in Carrickmines this morning....All grey with lime green soles...Only 7.5 and 8's from what I could see....fyi, the new version, the LunarGlide 2 is on sale in Champion in Dundrum sc for €88, reduced from €110....I'm off to the U.S. on Monday and am planning on buying a new pair, it's only right to buy Nikes when in Oregon!!

Danniboo wrote: »
    Guys,

Signed up for the Half Marathon, this is my first time to ever do anything like this. I stupidly thought we could walk some of it. No smart comments please. Anyways with 2 weeks to go I need some advice on how to get my fitness up. I've been doing 6 and a quarter miles with a bit of walking/jogging in an hour and a half. How doable is it to get my fitness up to jogging 13 miles in 2 weeks. Any advice greatly appreciated and Best of Luck To Everyone :D

I'm guessing you're running 3/4 miles and walking and jogging the rest?

You're only supposed to increase your weekly mileage by 10% to avoid injury, if you're clever you can increase by a bit more but you would be trying to increase it over 4 fold in two weeks, In my humble opinion - put it down to a bad job and pick a race suited to your level.

Sorry!

mrslow wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're running 3/4 miles and walking and jogging the rest?

You're only supposed to increase your weekly mileage by 10% to avoid injury, if you're clever you can increase by a bit more but you would be trying to increase it over 4 fold in two weeks, In my humble opinion - put it down to a bad job and pick a race suited to your level.

Sorry!

Thanks for the advice much appreciated, there's no backing out now though.

There's a half-marathon support thread here btw
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=972

It takes a couple of weeks for the effects of training to come through, so you're not going to improve much now. And your last week should be spent tapering, only doing short runs so you can recover before the race.

if I were you, on the weekend I'd try doing an 8 mile run/walk. Rather than walking whenever you feel like it, set yourself a schedule of running for ten (?) minutes then walking for two (?) to recover. Run more slowly than you think you can, so you're not completely wrecked afterwards. Do 5/6 miles next weekend with the same strategy. Do a couple of 3 mile runs next week, and a 3 and a 2 in the week of the race, leaving yourself a couple of days to recover.

Don't go on any mad diets before the race, but eat healthily - not carbo-loading or protein-loading, just healthily - and give up the drink for the next two weeks.

Good luck.

RayCun wrote: »
    There's a half-marathon support thread here btw
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=972

It takes a couple of weeks for the effects of training to come through, so you're not going to improve much now. And your last week should be spent tapering, only doing short runs so you can recover before the race.

if I were you, on the weekend I'd try doing an 8 mile run/walk. Rather than walking whenever you feel like it, set yourself a schedule of running for ten (?) minutes then walking for two (?) to recover. Run more slowly than you think you can, so you're not completely wrecked afterwards. Do 5/6 miles next weekend with the same strategy. Do a couple of 3 mile runs next week, and a 3 and a 2 in the week of the race, leaving yourself a couple of days to recover.

Don't go on any mad diets before the race, but eat healthily - not carbo-loading or protein-loading, just healthily - and give up the drink for the next two weeks.

Good luck.

Hi Ray,

Thanks a mil for that I will take it on board. I stick to a Low GI diet anyways and lead a pretty healty lifestyle and have been exercising regularly for the last few months so with a bit of will power and some hard work I hope to do it.

This is what the BBC says the weather will be but bring your suncream just in case.....
    Saturday
    Day weather
    10.gif?v45_8
    Light Rain Shower

16°C 61°F Max. Day South South Easterly15mph
    See ya'll in the morning - 9am at the Knockmaroon Gate - All are welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Enjoy your run tomorrow. I'll use the visualisation of that "thundering horde of boardsies"(Raycun, 2010) to motivate me on my own lonesome 16 miler :p

get a recording of horses stampeding across the prairies, stick it on your ipod, and you're there

mrslow wrote: »
    This is what the BBC says the weather will be but bring your suncream just in case.....
    Saturday
    Day weather
    10.gif?v45_8
    Light Rain Shower

16°C 61°F Max. Day South South Easterly15mph
    See ya'll in the morning - 9am at the Knockmaroon Gate - All are welcome.

Hmmmmm....And I was going to subject you all to my one and only running vest.......;)

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone is interested, Wiggle have 20% off gels at the moment.

Advertisement