Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Great stuff, was just asking about this on the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

i CANNOT believe i just ran 16.25 miles in a row without stopping!!! 2 years ago, i was in a 3 mile fun run (no training at all, was mislead by word "fun") and i ducked out at the half way point and thumbed a lift to the finish, fully believing i was about to collapse and die of a heart attack. even 5 months ago i ran for 5 mins and walked home! HOW AMAZING ARE WE?!?! starved though. wouldn't manage another 10 without a ham sanger. any food on the route on the day??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

well done Marrona. I'm amazed I did 16 too but admittedly I was knackered from 12 and had a few stops after that.
    I think this is where nutrition and preparation probably kick in. I was later getting out than I had planned this morning (waiting for garmin to charge :rolleyes:) and I was too bloody lazy to make myself porridge, was out of weetabix so made do with a small bowl of rice crispies :o While I would get away with that for shorter runs I really think I just ran out of fuel today and even the gels didn't make up for it. Even thinking back to yesterdays food I was probably a bit low on carbs too. Oh well I know for next time!

What do the rest of you eat before heading out? Do you find you need to change fuelling tactics the longer the run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done to the Phoenix Park crew this morning...Most of whom did 19 miles in Amazonian conditions!! How's the knee mrslow?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

littlebug wrote: »
    What do the rest of you eat before heading out? Do you find you need to change fuelling tactics the longer the run?

I'm interested to know too. what to eat and how long to wait after before heading out. I always did LSRs in evenings but will do in mornings from now on in cos DCM in morning. had croissant and banana and OJ 45 mins before leaving this morn. felt great and not heavy but in last mile was overcome with starvation although, that said, i'm back an hour and a half now and still haven't eaten

• Advertisement

marrona wrote: »
    I'm interested to know too. what to eat and how long to wait after before heading out. I always did LSRs in evenings but will do in mornings from now on in cos DCM in morning. had croissant and banana and OJ 45 mins before leaving this morn. felt great and not heavy but in last mile was overcome with starvation although, that said, i'm back an hour and a half now and still haven't eaten

Generally I'll concentrate on what I eat/drink the day before...On the morning it depends on a bunch of things, personally I need to eat at least 2 hours before I run but others can eat 45 mins before they run...In general for a longer run it wouldn't be a great idea to have had a heavy brekkie imo....Some more experienced athletes have a strong coffee to 'rid' themselves of digested food...Last week (17 miles) I had a poached egg on toast and this morning (20 miles) just a cereal bar and couldn't say I noticed any difference because of what I'd eaten...Had my hydration tab with 500 mls of water 90 mins before my run and then water and two gels during....

After my run well it's a different thing.....Milkshake, banana, apple, ham salad sandwich and 6 chocolate chip cookies washed down with two cups of tea within an hour and a half of finishing !!...The only person I know who is eating more than me is JEmily...She's had a supermarket in Kildare named after her :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

thanks digger. The more I think about what I ate yesterday i realise how little carb was involved.... together with very little this morning and I ran out of steam. I definitely need to put more thought into it next time.
    oh and I've been pretty much eating non stop since I got home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My pre-run food is my usual breakfast - a large bowl of meusli, and a glass of juice and water. I eat about a hour before going out.
    Morning recovery runs are as soon as I get up, so I just have breakfast when I get back.

What happened with the Phoenix Park crew today? I thought I saw a blue knee going the other way on the other side of Chesterfield at one point, but it wasn't surrounded by a horde of runners. I did a couple of laps of the zoo expecting to bump into the group, but never did...

RayCun wrote: »
    What happened with the Phoenix Park crew today? I thought I saw a blue knee going the other way on the other side of Chesterfield at one point, but it wasn't surrounded by a horde of runners. I did a couple of laps of the zoo expecting to bump into the group, but never did...

There were only 6 of us and we sort of split into two pace groups with about 14 miles on the clock and mrslow dropped off the back of the second group....I know he'd started to struggle with his knee some way out but didn't see him after that...Hope all is ok and it's only a minor blip...How did you get on yourself?

Maybe that was you guys then...
    I was grand, maybe a little too much rain, but it was nice and cool. Went back to the powerbar gels and they do seem to have more of a kick. Garmin wasn't working so I set out to do about 3 hours 20 and mapmyrun'ed it when I got home. According to that I did about 24 miles :eek: which I doubt, but it was probably about 22, and I felt much stronger at the end than I did last week. Walking like a cowboy now though...

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Walking like a cowboy now though...

Yep, I know what you mean...I'm taking the stairs in a side-saddle type of way....Would love to get gait analysis done right now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Was all set to join the running group for this morning's run, but due to matters beyond my control, I wasn't able to make it. I really missed the LSR today, only did 7 miles on my own this evening.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Was all set to join the running group for this morning's run, but due to matters beyond my control, I wasn't able to make it. I really missed the LSR today, only did 7 miles on my own this evening.

Ah, that was a shame....You'd have been good for a 19 or 20 ! I'm not around next week (step-back for me anyway) and it's the half the following week..Are you doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

good running everyone, serious miles being done now. Got my first 20 tomorrow just put a route together on mapmyrun. It frightened the life out of me, I would think twice about driving it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Great to see so many of you getting in some really good long runs! About 4 weeks left until taper, keep it strong, look after yourself and you will be fine on race day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Jcsmom we missed you today , hope all is well with little jack . In fairness it was manky out there ! I have welts on my feet from running in wet shoes , not blisters kids , welts !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hi All, Covered just shy of 17 miles broken down as follows:

9.4 miles - fine
    7.5 miles varying from pain to agony and then I had to limp 2 miles plus back to the car - have concerns now about the marathon, it's my IT Band and I'm back to physio tomorrow so we'll see what she says.:(

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||145.4||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|||182||
    boccy23|||192||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    RayCun|||287.8||
    littlebug|||240.2||
    meathcountysec|||380.57||
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    digger2d2|||271||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|||235||
    RubyK|||297.80||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||116||
    Mrslow|4|32.9|154.55|Tough LSR of 16.9 but only because of IT Band|
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|||361.5||

On and on we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Thanks Digger, Yes Littlebug i have eaten for Ireland the last week. Was fine up until last Saturdays 15 LSR and my metabolism went through the roof this week. Could not stop eating, think i put on 4 pds and that was still training. Thank God i'm back to normal yesterday and today, phew.

I was eating a proper breakfast (i think too little) at the start and found i was knackered towards the end of my runs. Now i feel i have loads of energy. Proper good food and you won't put on weight, even in hgiher volumes. You have to put the fuel in full stop.

My typical brekki yesterday's 19m LSR was:
    Mixed fresh fruit (strawberries, blackcurrants, bannana, grapes)
    Sprinkling of raisins
    Sprinkling of nuts and
    some full fat greek yougert
    2 slices of wholemeal brown bread with butter

Think kept the energy high and me full but not too full.

I love porridge but find it's too heavy pre-runs.

I eat at least an hour/hour and a half before going out.

P.S. Sometimes i do have morning coffee.

Lastly, the day before is vital. I'll eat porridge for brekkie, more carbs for lunch - pasta carbonara (as i find it's too much at night), normal dinner - chicken/red meat, veggies and brown wholemeal rice.

Hope that helps!

But one piece of advice, eat well and plentiful, you'll need it to improve and recover.

JEmily wrote: »
    Thanks Digger, Yes Littlebug i have eaten for Ireland the last week. Was fine up until last Saturdays 15 LSR and my metabolism went through the roof this week. Could not stop eating, think i put on 4 pds and that was still training. Thank God i'm back to normal yesterday and today, phew.

I was eating a proper breakfast (i think too little) at the start and found i was knackered towards the end of my runs. Now i feel i have loads of energy. Proper good food and you won't put on weight, even in hgiher volumes. You have to put the fuel in full stop.

My typical brekki yesterday's 19m LSR was:
    Mixed fresh fruit (strawberries, blackcurrants, bannana, grapes)
    Sprinkling of raisins
    Sprinkling of nuts and
    some full fat greek yougert
    2 slices of wholemeal brown bread with butter

Think kept the energy high and me full but not too full.

I love porridge but find it's too heavy pre-runs.

I eat at least an hour/hour and a half before going out.

P.S. Sometimes i do have morning coffee.

Lastly, the day before is vital. I'll eat porridge for brekkie, more carbs for lunch - pasta carbonara (as i find it's too much at night), normal dinner - chicken/red meat, veggies and brown wholemeal rice.

Hope that helps!

But one piece of advice, eat well and plentiful, you'll need it to improve and recover.

Didn't see any Bailey's and Brandy in there.;)

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    Didn't see any Bailey's and Brandy in there.;)

Had 3 last night and a bottle of wine over dinner out in Glendalough, yummy. I don't know what i'm going to do when the traing stops i'll be the size of a bus.

I hope you had a few beers, you sooooo deserved them. Laura to the rescue tomorrow...

JEmily wrote: »
    Had 3 last night and a bottle of wine over dinner out in Glendalough, yummy. I don't know what i'm going to do when the traing stops i'll be the size of a bus.

I hope you had a few beers, you sooooo deserved them. Laura to the rescue tomorrow...

Thanks for your text yesterday, I was feelin really sorry for myself. Had 2 bottles of beer and that finished me, I was in a coma until 6.45 this morning when both kids decided it was time to get up.

Synopsis, yesterday's 19m LSR.

I AM SO BLOODY THRILLED WITH MYSELF:), my first 19 mile run EVER. Felt much more energetic than last weeks 15 LSR, smooth, and ready for anything. Legs felt like lead around mile 16. But i had plenty in the tank energy-wise to keep going.

Thanks to everyone there, was a lovely group and for someone who said they weren't a group sort of runner you made it a hell of alot easier.

Got cold bath for 15 mins when i got home, could only sit in it, no way i was lying down. Couldn't walk last night in high heels, had to wear flats and as RayCun said, "i was walking like a Mrs. John Wayne". Went for 5 mins walk up to feed horses before dinner, came back and got hot bath, then out for dinner.

All the above must of worked and i thought i'd be worse today but i'm ok. Right ankle not happy with mileage yesterday, bit weak today. Will do physio's strengthening exercise later.

Am heading out on short cycle to loosen up now...well done everyone again...guys thanks for the directions.

RayCun, we were looking for you the whole way around. Thought it was weird you weren't out.

Blueknees, (mrslow), i know, i'm not going to say anything else bar, we'll be seeing you at the Half and DCM. NO DOUBT!

William72|||145.4||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|||182||
    boccy23|||192||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    RayCun|4|40|327.8|I'm claiming that as a 21.7 mile LSR yesterday, to get a nice round number for the week. Probably within a mile either side anyway|
    littlebug|||240.2||
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    digger2d2|||271||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|||235||
    RubyK|||297.80||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||116||
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|||361.5||

I think that'll be the highest weekly mileage in the plan - I've another 20 mile LSR next month, but the Garmin should be back by then so it really will be 20 miles. Legs were pretty tight towards the end of the run, but was much more comfortable at the end than last week.

William72|||145.4||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|||182||
    boccy23|||192||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    RayCun|4|40|327.8|I'm claiming that as a 21.7 mile LSR yesterday, to get a nice round number for the week. Probably within a mile either side anyway|
    littlebug|||240.2||
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    digger2d2|4|38|309|Ahhh...20 mile LSR done, feel a bit worn out today|
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|||235||
    RubyK|||297.80||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||116||
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|||361.5||

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Ah, that was a shame....You'd have been good for a 19 or 20 ! I'm not around next week (step-back for me anyway) and it's the half the following week..Are you doing that?

I'm hoping to do the half (in 2 hours!) and next weekend do a LSR of 20. I was so gutted to miss the run yesterday. Such is life.....

nachoqueen wrote: »
    Jcsmom we missed you today , hope all is well with little jack . In fairness it was manky out there ! I have welts on my feet from running in wet shoes , not blisters kids , welts !

I'll be honest with you, I'm jealous of your welts!!! :D:eek:
    I'm sad amn't I???
    Look what running has turned me into!

William72|||145.4||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|||182||
    boccy23|||192||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    littlebug|||240.2||
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|||235||
    RubyK|||297.80||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|35|151|Delighted with 19m LSR, still stiff today|
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|||361.5||

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'll be honest with you, I'm jealous of your welts!!! :D:eek:
    A good LSR next week will sort out what ails ya :D

(Thanks for starting the table, Mrslow)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

William72|||145.4||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|||182||
    boccy23|||192||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    littlebug|||240.2||
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|34|269|Delighted with my 17 mile LSR in just over 2:32. I felt I could have gone on but decided against it. I'm sore today though|
    RubyK|||297.80||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|35|151|Delighted with 19m LSR, still stiff today|
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|||361.5||
    [/QUOTE]