Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm fully aware that some of you will be switching things around a bit now to fit the HM in the Phoenix Park in, but this is the plan as stated.

Week 12
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|4 m|8 m w/ 4 @ PMP|5 m|rest|12 m|cross

Stepback week - and I bet some of you will be delighted to hear this! 12 miles for the LSR this weekend, which isn't too bad at all at this stage. We'll throw in some PMP miles this week too, there probably won't be too many more of them so I'd like you to take Wednesday's run as 2 mile easy, 4 at your PMP (think about what this should be for your goal - ~9 min/mile for 4:00, ~10 min/mile for 4:20-4:30 - and stick to it), and 2 miles easy to finish off. This is again just to get you used to running at your goal pace.

Week 13
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|4 m|9 m|5 m|rest|18 m|cross

Serious business! 18 miles this week for your LSR, the second longest run you will do before DCM. Look after yourself through the week too, you've probably noticed that your appetite has kicked into overdrive and that you may need a little more sleep. Don't fight it - your body is working hard now to get you ready for DCM and it needs some love.

And a discussion topic for this week: Going back to setting your goals for DCM. Have yours changed? Also, how are you finding the long runs - enjoying them, dreading them, managing ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||145.4||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|||182||
    boccy23|||192||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    RayCun|4|40|327.8|I'm claiming that as a 21.7 mile LSR yesterday, to get a nice round number for the week. Probably within a mile either side anyway|
    littlebug|4|32|272.2|found the last few miles of 16m lsr tough going but got there|
    meathcountysec|||380.57||
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    digger2d2|4|38|309|Ahhh...20 mile LSR done, feel a bit worn out today|
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|34|269|Delighted with my 17 mile LSR in just over 2:32. I felt I could have gone on but decided against it. I'm sore today though|
    RubyK|||297.80||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|35|151|Delighted with 19m LSR, still stiff today|
    Mrslow|4|32.9|154.55|Tough LSR of 16.9 but only because of IT Band|
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|||361.5||

And a discussion topic for this week: Going back to setting your goals for DCM. Have yours changed? Also, how are you finding the long runs - enjoying them, dreading them, managing ok?

I had hoped that at this point I'd have some confidence in aiming to stick with the 4.30 pacers but I don't think I'm there at all. At the minute I would say I'd be ok with them maybe til half way but based on recent long runs I could see myself falling back from there on. So between now and the big day I need to decide whether to start with them and risk suffering later or hold back at the start and do the whole thing more comfortably... BUT if I don't try I'll never know... eek :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

nachoqueen wrote: »
    Jcsmom we missed you today , hope all is well with little jack . In fairness it was manky out there ! I have welts on my feet from running in wet shoes , not blisters kids , welts !
    jcsmum wrote: »
    I'll be honest with you, I'm jealous of your welts!!! :D:eek:

Ooooh, don't be jealous of those welts...I saw them oozing and JEmily asked me what the smell was but I covered the nacho-meister by saying it was the smell of the Liffey!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Liking the long runs. They feel easy up to the last few miles - they were tough last week, easier this week. I'm hoping the last 20 mile LSR will be easy all the way :)

I do get the occasional crazy thought about 3.45, but I resist! I'd rather stick with the sub4 target I'm confident I can make - I might be able to make 3.45, but if I try it, I might blow up. It will wait for another time.

• Advertisement

Also, how are you finding the long runs - enjoying them, dreading them, managing ok?

I have to say (and I'm struggling not to make sarcastic comments about Nachos, Brandy and Baileys) that the whole 'group runs' in the Phoenix Park have been very helpful over the last couple of weeks...For those who are thinking about it but haven't partaken just go on and do it.....Yesterday I was fine until the 14/15 mile mark and then I had a bad patch, I just went back into the middle of the pack for a while and got dragged along and emerged the other side of my blip to run on to 20 and could have done a mile or two more....Don't be embarrassed about introducing yourself as you'll see the crowd standing on the left side of the road inside the Knockmaroon gate, very very friendly group....If you need directions JEmily is your only woman!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

William72|||145.4||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|||182||
    boccy23|||192||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    RayCun|4|40|327.8|I'm claiming that as a 21.7 mile LSR yesterday, to get a nice round number for the week. Probably within a mile either side anyway|
    littlebug|4|32|272.2|found the last few miles of 16m lsr tough going but got there|
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|34|269|Delighted with my 17 mile LSR in just over 2:32. I felt I could have gone on but decided against it. I'm sore today though|
    RubyK|||297.80||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|48.2|409.7|Very happy to get in the 20 miler today. tired though|

Am really enjoying the challenge of the long distances and great feeling of accomplishment to know that I am running further than ever before.

On goals they are changing nearly daily, I get soem notions about really crazy times and have to just beat some sense into myself at times. More time I just lose confidence totally. Hopefully by the time I get to the start line I will have a definite plan

RayCun wrote: »
    I do get the occasional crazy thought about 3.45, but I resist! I'd rather stick with the sub4 target I'm confident I can make - I might be able to make 3.45, but if I try it, I might blow up. It will wait for another time.

I think I'm going the other way....All my LSR's have been at 9:30 - 9:45 pace and I'm a little concerned about when I step it up to 9 min/mile pace on the day let alone 8:30/8:45 pace....I'm worried that my competitive edge will have me going faster (which has been fine with the 5 and 10 mile) but would be worried about blowing up in the last 6/8 miles of the Marathon at that quicker pace...I think the best bet is to keep with the sub 4 hr pacer and push on when/if it feels right in the last 1,2,3,4,5,6 miles....

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I think the best bet is to keep with the sub 4 hr pacer and push on when/if it feels right in the last 1,2,3,4,5,6 miles....
    Y'know, I really wish there was a 4:15 pacer... have pretty much re-evaluated my own target to "have fun, and go slightly faster than last year".

littlebug wrote: »
    I had hoped that at this point I'd have some confidence in aiming to stick with the 4.30 pacers but I don't think I'm there at all. At the minute I would say I'd be ok with them maybe til half way but based on recent long runs I could see myself falling back from there on. So between now and the big day I need to decide whether to start with them and risk suffering later or hold back at the start and do the whole thing more comfortably... BUT if I don't try I'll never know... eek :eek:.

What time did you run your 16 mile LSR this week? (have you done any of the race series...times?) It's probably not a good idea to start the Marathon at a mile pace that you believe is too quick for you and you could only keep up until half way as you'd most likely suffer big time later on....Remember, completing the marathon running all the way is an excellent achievement no matter what the time and no doubt there will always be another Marathon in the future that you could aim for a better time!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

I might join you in a couple of weeks. I'm doing the Amsterdam marathon (I'm a first-timer) at the end of October and my "training" is all over the place. I'm planning an 18-miler next week and a few 20s after that.

My target for the marathon is sub-4, but I'm going to re-evaluate closer to the date depending on how training goes.

I have to say (and I'm struggling not to make sarcastic comments about Nachos, Brandy and Baileys) that the whole 'group runs' in the Phoenix Park have been very helpful over the last couple of weeks...For those who are thinking about it but haven't partaken just go on and do it.....Yesterday I was fine until the 14/15 mile mark and then I had a bad patch, I just went back into the middle of the pack for a while and got dragged along and emerged the other side of my blip to run on to 20 and could have done a mile or two more....Don't be embarrassed about introducing yourself as you'll see the crowd standing on the left side of the road inside the Knockmaroon gate, very very friendly group....If you need directions JEmily is your only woman!!:p

I think the best bet is to keep with the sub 4 hr pacer and push on when/if it feels right in the last 1,2,3,4,5,6 miles....
    Y'know, I really wish there was a 4:15 pacer... have pretty much re-evaluated my own target to "have fun, and go slightly faster than last year".

Now that mrslow has his Garmin you might just need to get him a 4:15 balloon !

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

William72|||145.4||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|||182||
    boccy23|||192||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    RubyK|||297.80||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|4|32.58|296.75|midweek 8 miler turned into 2 hour traipse cos moved city and got totally lost. overall:very positive. enjoyed LSR.|
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|||300||
    tivvo|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

BrokenMan wrote: »
    William72|||145.4||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|||182||
    boccy23|||192||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    RubyK|||297.80||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|3|30|c359|Missed one session due to work commitments but delighted to do the 19 mile LSR yesterday|
    tivvo|||||

Delighted to have run 19 miles on the LSR yesterday, my target was 16 miles so very happy with that, I did find it tough in the last couple of miles but the calfs were ok which was a big plus. Never ran more than 14 miles before yesterday. Great to run in a group, even if was a small (but very select) group and hope to get there most Saturdays over the coming weeks. Mrslow thanks for the gel and hope you get good/encouraging news at the physio. Although JEmily's appetite is gaining legendary status I was still surprised when she had about three sandwiches before the run yesterday and a couple of bars of chocolate at the half way stageicon12.gif!!! Wexican thanks for the company and the encouragement, hope to see you next week.

What time did you run your 16 mile LSR this week? (have you done any of the race series...times?) It's probably not a good idea to start the Marathon at a mile pace that you believe is too quick for you and you could only keep up until half way as you'd most likely suffer big time later on....Remember, completing the marathon running all the way is an excellent achievement no matter what the time and no doubt there will always be another Marathon in the future that you could aim for a better time!!

I did the half marathon in Galway last weekend and was a wee bit disappointed to finish in 2.15 as I was hoping for 2.10 ish but I think I would have been closer to it or better on a flatter course. All my lsrs have been consistently at about 10.40 something but I did have a few stops in the last few miles for the 16 miler which may have been due to leftover tiredness from the half last sunday/ VERY high mileage week or not fuelling properly either the day before or morning of the lsr! 10.40ish seems to be my reasonably comfortable lsr pace but I guess the 18 miler will tell the tale! In theory 4.30 should be posssible based on other times.. but only just so maybe I should play it safe and aim for 4.45.

eta... i think 4.30 is there.... but maybe just not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

LSR: I always dread it when the mileage goes up to sth I've never done before but it always turns out to be my favourite run of the week. really enjoy them.

Goal: my original goal was to finish. and still is. however, seeing everyones' times freaks me a bit. I did 16.25 miles this week in 3h11m56s which is an average pace of 11 mins 48s per mile. average pace for 15 miles last week was similar at 11mins 43s and 13 miles at 11 mins 25s.

Am I not at the races at all? and is this too slow too close to DCM? I think maybe it's too much too soon in my very new running career

marrona wrote: »
    Am I not at the races at all? and is this too slow too close to DCM? I think maybe it's too much too soon in my very new running career

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. That's your pace, and judging from that you should finish DCM (after the taper does its wonders) in about 5 hours. You are managing the long runs, and that's the main thing. Speed will come later - and you'll probably notice in the weeks and months after DCM that you will be a bit faster then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

William72|||145.4||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|||182||
    boccy23|5|40|232||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    RubyK|||297.80||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|3|30|c359|Missed one session due to work commitments but delighted to do the 19 mile LSR yesterday|
    tivvo|||||

Very good week. Got out 5 times with a 16.5 mile LSR tonight (or 18 miles on MayMyRun which I think is on drugs as per Raycun as well) in 2:34 which felt really really comfortable. No aches and pains. Just usual chaffing spots from the ones which I missed and a nice blister on my little toe.

Regarding the goals, Just Finish Babe!!! (and preferably without stopping!)

I had dreaded the LSRs a little until this week. Did 9.5 miles with a decent 150m climb and then the 16+ miles today which went really well.

littlebug wrote: »
    I did the half marathon in Galway last weekend and was a wee bit disappointed to finish in 2.15 as I was hoping for 2.10 ish but I think I would have been closer to it or better on a flatter course. All my lsrs have been consistently at about 10.40 something but I did have a few stops in the last few miles for the 16 miler which may have been due to leftover tiredness from the half last sunday/ VERY high mileage week or not fuelling properly either the day before or morning of the lsr! 10.40ish seems to be my reasonably comfortable lsr pace but I guess the 18 miler will tell the tale! In theory 4.30 should be posssible based on other times.. but only just so maybe I should play it safe and aim for 4.45.

eta... i think 4.30 is there.... but maybe just not yet.

So, if Galway half was 2:15 it's fair to say that it would have been tough to have run it back to back for 4:30? So, maybe set yourself a per mile time based on or around your LSR time of 10:40 depending on if you can complete your 18 miler without stopping....Either way, concentrate on completing your training properly and focus on running the Marathon at a pace that you can complete it without stopping and then you can always consider the 'time' on your next one!

So, if Galway half was 2:15 it's fair to say that it would have been tough to have run it back to back for 4:30? So, maybe set yourself a per mile time based on or around your LSR time of 10:40 depending on if you can complete your 18 miler without stopping....Either way, concentrate on completing your training properly and focus on running the Marathon at a pace that you can complete it without stopping and then you can always consider the 'time' on your next one!

Absolutely... I couldn't have run another step :o I don't think i'm too far off 4.30 but maybe not for this one. (Shhh don't tell Mrbug but I've just been looking at the Rotterdam website).

10.40 mm would have me finish in 4.39 which I would be happy with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Is there no 4.15 pacers? I wanted to slot in here too. What's the nearest 4 or 4.30?

mrslow, jemily, rainbowkirby - instant 4.15 pace group.

or you could go with the 4.30 pacers and push on in the last few miles.

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    Delighted to have run 19 miles on the LSR yesterday, my target was 16 miles so very happy with that, I did find it tough in the last couple of miles but the calfs were ok which was a big plus. Never ran more than 14 miles before yesterday. Great to run in a group, even if was a small (but very select) group and hope to get there most Saturdays over the coming weeks. Mrslow thanks for the gel and hope you get good/encouraging news at the physio. Although JEmily's appetite is gaining legendary status I was still surprised when she had about three sandwiches before the run yesterday and a couple of bars of chocolate at the half way stageicon12.gif!!! Wexican thanks for the company and the encouragement, hope to see you next week.

Well done you, most of us had run 15 miles the week before. So fair play to you having a go at the 19. You were brilliant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

William72|||145.4||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|||182||
    boccy23|||192||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    RubyK|4|34.85|332.65|LSR of 17.6 miles. Struggled at mile 11 but felt good for the last couple of miles.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    tivvo|||||

This thread is great (thanks to Rainbow Kirby for her mentoring, it really is great motivation), everyone is really giving 100% in their training. Keep up the good work - this day 7 weeks it will all be worth it :D

So there is a 4.15 pacer on the day? If not, would i be safer going as you said with 4.30 pacer and then breaking off (if able) couple of miles before the end.

Also, how many miles before finish do you generally think it is wise to pull away or slightly increase your pace if you feel your able. I'm the type i get these false surges of energy very early on and i have to fight them as i know i'll lose steam if i give in and charge on. As my dad says "it's a marathon not a race". Good advice.

Yay, i like this group:)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

William72|||145.4||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|4|21|203|Lazy LSR aborted due to the heavy rain on Saturday morning|
    boccy23|5|40|232||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    RubyK|4|34.85|332.65|LSR of 17.6 miles. Struggled at mile 11 but felt good for the last couple of miles.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    tivvo|||||

Lazy Saturday LSR for me! I got soaked to skin after first 5 miles and was freezing so aborted LSR:o. I'll take this as a rest week so and get back on track next weekend with 18 miles.

Still, cracked the 200 mile barrier in training!

JEmily wrote: »
    So there is a 4.15 pacer on the day? If not, would i be safer going as you said with 4.30 pacer and then breaking off (if able) couple of miles before the end.

Also, how many miles before finish do you generally think it is wise to pull away or slightly increase your pace if you feel your able. I'm the type i get these false surges of energy very early on and i have to fight them as i know i'll lose steam if i give in and charge on. As my dad says "it's a marathon not a race". Good advice.

No, there's no 4.15 pacer.
    'They' always say that the marathon is a 20 mile warmup and a 6 mile race, and that mile 20 is where you hit the wall - plus in Dublin the last real hill is around mile 20 - so my plan for the day is to go with the pace group to the top of that hill, and then push on (if I can).
    There's a big downhill (Foster's Avenue) on the other side of that hill, and then you start running into town, towards the finish line, so it seems like the perfect place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

Ok, weird one here for all of you!

I find the short midweek runs can be killer!:rolleyes: I often struggle for first two miles with stiff legs. I presume its due to tireness from weekend LSR. Strangely, I don't have this problem with LSR's! Maybe I need to stretch more after longer run?

Does anybody find the midweek runs difficult?

• Advertisement

rofno1 wrote: »
    Ok, weird one here for all of you!

I find the short midweek runs can be killer!:rolleyes: I often struggle for first two miles with stiff legs. I presume its due to tireness from weekend LSR. Strangely, I don't have this problem with LSR's! Maybe I need to stretch more after longer run?

Does anybody find the midweek runs difficult?

Yep, hate the short runs now and loving the LSR's. Weird, i think i pace myself better and can get more comfortable on LSR's in general. Last weeks midweek short run of 8m nearly killed me.

Advertisement