Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

just wondering what minute miles do you have to do to do a sub 4, after running with jemily and digger i thought you guys would go with the sub 4 pacer ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

sub 4 is 9 minute miles

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

JEmily wrote: »
    Yep, hate the short runs now and loving the LSR's. Weird, i think i pace myself better and can get more comfortable on LSR's in general. Last weeks midweek short run of 8m nearly killed me.

Exactly the same as me! I reckon you're right with the pacing. I pay much more attention on LSR and tend to fly off on the short ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||145.4||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|4|21|203|Lazy LSR aborted due to the heavy rain on Saturday morning|
    boccy23|5|40|232||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    RayCun|4|40|327.8|I'm claiming that as a 21.7 mile LSR yesterday, to get a nice round number for the week. Probably within a mile either side anyway|
    littlebug|4|32|272.2|found the last few miles of 16m lsr tough going but got there|
    meathcountysec|5|40.90|421.46|19.44 miles LSR. This thing might actually happen:D|
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    digger2d2|4|38|309|Ahhh...20 mile LSR done, feel a bit worn out today|
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|34|269|Delighted with my 17 mile LSR in just over 2:32. I felt I could have gone on but decided against it. I'm sore today though|
    RubyK|4|34.85|332.65|LSR of 17.6 miles. Struggled at mile 11 but felt good for the last couple of miles.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|35|151|Delighted with 19m LSR, still stiff today|
    Mrslow|4|32.9|154.55|Tough LSR of 16.9 but only because of IT Band|
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|3|30|c359|Missed one session due to work commitments but delighted to do the 19 mile LSR yesterday|
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|48.2|409.7|Very happy to get in the 20 miler today. tired though|

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

rofno1 wrote: »
    William72|4|32.2|177.6||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    boccy23|5|40|232||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    RayCun|4|40|327.8|I'm claiming that as a 21.7 mile LSR yesterday, to get a nice round number for the week. Probably within a mile either side anyway|
    littlebug|4|32|272.2|found the last few miles of 16m lsr tough going but got there|
    meathcountysec|5|40.90|421.46|19.44 miles LSR. This thing might actually happen|
    DigiJem|||232||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|34|269|Delighted with my 17 mile LSR in just over 2:32. I felt I could have gone on but decided against it. I'm sore today though|
    RubyK|4|34.85|332.65|LSR of 17.6 miles. Struggled at mile 11 but felt good for the last couple of miles.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|3|30|c359|Missed one session due to work commitments but delighted to do the 19 mile LSR yesterday|
    tivvo|||||

Did my 16 mile LSR on Friday morning. Found mile 10-11 very very tough for some strange reason, one of the few times I've considered walking/stopping, but pulled through and finished feeling ok. Reckon that was a lot to do with being out the night before. Crucially knee seems to be totally mended so delighted with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

[/QUOTE]And a discussion topic for this week: Going back to setting your goals for DCM. Have yours changed? Also, how are you finding the long runs - enjoying them, dreading them, managing ok?[/QUOTE]

I think I originally said something in the 4:2*:** region but had kinda hoped to improve through training and aim for sub 4. All thats happened (combination of real life & injury) has scuppered that though - have only managed to do all my prescribed runs in 3 out of the 11 weeks so far. But i think I'm injury free now so should I work on my time now? Is that something I can do during the taper or should I just settle where I am. My 16 mile LSR on friday was done at 10:26 pace which equates to 4:33 for the marathon. I think on the day I'll head out with the 4:30 group and try to kick on if I can at mile 20 - is that reasonable?

Have to admit that I haven't really enjoyed the last 2 lsr's. Found them really tough. But before that I really enjoyed them. I think thats down to poor preperation on my part and not enough rest. Hope to fix that for the 18 mile this week. So overall i think I'd say that right now i'm in the "managing" category :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

nachoqueen wrote: »
    just wondering what minute miles do you have to do to do a sub 4, after running with jemily and digger i thought you guys would go with the sub 4 pacer ??

God, i haven't a clue of all of this, i just run. I'm non-competitive, only with myself, so i'm not sure what group i should be in. I don't want to run out of steam, i want to feel comfortable running my first marathon. So that's why i would have said 4.15 or 4.30, but maybe your right with the 4 pacers. I really don't know:confused:.

Thanks for putting me in the sub 4 group, never would have said that, you've just made my day...:D

What's your target for the half?

The 2.00 pace group will be running at the same pace as the 4.00 group in the marathon (obviously :rolleyes:) so you could try running with them and see how that pace feels.
    I'm going with the 1.50 group - I figure if I can match that pace for 13 miles I'll be okay with the (slightly slower) pace for the full thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

God, i haven't a clue of all of this, i just run. I'm non-competitive, only with myself, so i'm not sure what group i should be in. I don't want to run out of steam, i want to feel comfortable running my first marathon. So that's why i would have said 4.15 or 4.30, but maybe your right with the 4 pacers. I really don't know:confused:.

Thanks for putting me in the sub 4 group, never would have said that, you've just made my day...:D

We'll be running at 9 min miles boss, and I'll be trying to keep up with you;)

Go Team!

RayCun wrote: »
    What's your target for the half?

The 2.00 pace group will be running at the same pace as the 4.00 group in the marathon (obviously :rolleyes:) so you could try running with them and see how that pace feels.
    I'm going with the 1.50 group - I figure if I can match that pace for 13 miles I'll be okay with the (slightly slower) pace for the full thing.

Sorry Ray, i know this sounds stupid but i wasn't thinking of times for any of the races ever until yesterday Nachoqueen and Digger were talking about it. I think in my head i always just wanted to finish.

I done a 14m LSR run about 4 weeks ago in 2h05m. So i'm thinking 2h for Half should be fine. I think i'll do what you suggested and go with sub 2.00 for Half and see how i get on. Thanks, i do need a bit of a plan in place i suppose:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

William72 wrote: »
    My 16 mile LSR on friday was done at 10:26 pace which equates to 4:33 for the marathon. I think on the day I'll head out with the 4:30 group and try to kick on if I can at mile 20 - is that reasonable?
    I think that does sound fairly reasonable. Going out with the 4:30 pace group will stop you from starting too fast. Also, you've got to remember that the taper will do you the world of good so if you're managing a 10.26 pace for your LSRs now then the 10.19/mile pace for 4:30 will feel pretty easy on race day for a good chunk of the way.

mrslow wrote: »
    We'll be running at 9 min miles boss, and I'll be trying to keep up with you;)

Go Team!

Great, i need you, your my pacer.

Any other queries about my times i'll consult you...your my bible!

I think that does sound fairly reasonable. Going out with the 4:30 pace group will stop you from starting too fast. Also, you've got to remember that the taper will do you the world of good so if you're managing a 10.26 pace for your LSRs now then the 10.19/mile pace for 4:30 will feel pretty easy on race day for a good chunk of the way.

I have to keep reminding myself about the taper, I keep thinking I'll turn up on M Day feeling like a normal LSR day and drag myself around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

JEmily, if you did a training run of 14 miles in 2 hrs 05 mins, I'd say start off with the 2 hr pacers, and maybe push on a bit from mile 10 if your feeling good. I can see you with a 1.55 finish :D

Of course, this is with my very limited experience of competing in 1 half marathon ;)

Great, i need you, your my pacer.

Any other queries about my times i'll consult you...your my bible!

Ha, I paced the first 7 miles on Sat which were supposed to be 10 min miles - we ran an average of about 9.23.

I have to keep reminding myself about the taper

Can I ask how long a taper are people taking? At the beginning, I thought a 3 week taper, but following a chat with a runner over the weekend, I'm know thinking of a 2 week taper.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

William72|4|32.2|177.6||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    boccy23|5|40|232||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|||153||
    michellemuncher|||154||
    meathcountysec|5|40.90|421.46|19.44 miles LSR. This thing might actually happen|
    DigiJem|1|4|236|No running for most of this week, surprised myself at how much I missed it|
    D Chief|||191.8||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||238||
    RallyRunner|||209||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    tivvo|||||

RubyK wrote: »
    JEmily, if you did a training run of 14 miles in 2 hrs 05 mins, I'd say start off with the 2 hr pacers, and maybe push on a bit from mile 10 if your feeling good. I can see you with a 1.55 finish :D

Of course, this is with my very limited experience of competing in 1 half marathon ;)

Thanks RubyK. I hope so, how cool would that time be for my first half marathon.

I've even more limited experience, like ZERO. So therefore your God. But mrslow will always be Boss.

Thanks and good luck to you too, are you doing Half aswell? And what times you going with for DCM, your flying, had a nosey at your log a few times;)

Sorry for all the posts, but just something that might be good for eveyone. But would it be a good idea to put up a table of pace groups and our names underneath for both Half and DCM?

I know i'll stay with mrslow on both days (he doesn't know it yet!;)) but i'd like to know a few more around me. My security blanket as such. But might help motivate everyone if we know a few in the same groups.

If it's a crap idea don't worry, it's monday and i'm half asleep:p

Can I ask how long a taper are people taking? At the beginning, I thought a 3 week taper, but following a chat with a runner over the weekend, I'm know thinking of a 2 week taper.

Any advice?
    I'd be inclined to recommend a 3 week taper. By the time you get to 3 weeks out from the marathon, you've got your training done and the body needs a chance to rest and gain the benefits from this training before the marathon. Also, quite a few people will pick up little niggles over the course of the longest LSRs and a 3 week taper gives a bit more time to get rid of them before the marathon.

It is of course your decision though, if you feel that in your situation a 2 week taper would be better suited to you then go for it.

• Advertisement

Thanks RubyK. I hope so, how cool would that time be for my first half marathon.

I've even more limited experience, like ZERO. So therefore your God. But mrslow will always be Boss.
    No fear, I'm not going to tread on mrslows toes. I know who's Boss ;):D
    JEmily wrote:
    Thanks and good luck to you too, are you doing Half aswell? And what times you going with for DCM, your flying, had a nosey at your log a few times;)

I won't be doing the half - it's a bit too far to travel for me. I'll be there in spirit though!

I think 3.59.59. 3.55 would be the dream, but I suppose, just to finish it in one piece is all that matters, especially being a first timer.

Thanks for that Rainbow Kirby - I think I will stick with the 3 weeks as per your advice. I just imagine I'll be climbing the walls and a bit of a demon to live with, during tapering time :o Poor MrRubyK - he has no idea of what my lie ahead!

'The Boss' - I like that! However, If I were to write my knowledge of running on the back of a stamp, I'd have loads of room for doodling;) I'm just saying this to reaffirm the fact that it will be the blind leading the blind.:D

I just imagine I'll be climbing the walls and a bit of a demon to live with, during tapering time :o Poor MrRubyK - he has no idea of what my lie ahead!
    Everyone here is going to be bouncing off the walls for the majority of the month of October. Everyone goes a little stir crazy during taper. Everyone eats for Ireland during taper. It's all normal, and part of the process. :D

Sorry for all the posts, but just something that might be good for eveyone. But would it be a good idea to put up a table of pace groups and our names underneath for both Half and DCM?

I know i'll stay with mrslow on both days (he doesn't know it yet!;)) but i'd like to know a few more around me. My security blanket as such. But might help motivate everyone if we know a few in the same groups.

If it's a crap idea don't worry, it's monday and i'm half asleep:p

It's a very good idea!

Everyone here is going to be bouncing off the walls for the majority of the month of October. Everyone goes a little stir crazy during taper. Everyone eats for Ireland during taper. It's all normal, and part of the process. :D

:eek: can't wait!

What do you think about a mile or two the night before DCM, to loosen up the body?

What do you think about a mile or two the night before DCM, to loosen up the body?

As long as it's nothing much more than that really then it's fine. It may help to settle your nerves.

That said, I spent the day before DCM last year on my couch watching Man U lose to Liverpool. That probably wasn't the best thing to do to relax... :mad:

Half Marathon

Name|PaceGroup|Target|Actual
    RayCun|1.50|1:48|
    |||
    |||
    |||
    |||
    |||

Marathon

Name|PaceGroup|Target|Actual
    RayCun|4.00|3:55|
    |||
    |||
    |||
    |||
    |||

• Advertisement

Noooo, i can't eat anymore, seriously...:(:(:(

Advertisement