Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Breakfast:
    3x Wheatabix
    Banana
    Glass of Orange Juice

Inventory for the Run:
    1x Blackcurrant 500ml Lucozade
    1x Energy Shot (little test tube thing I found in Holland & Barret)
    IPOD - don't leave home without it :)

I had breakfast an hour before heading out, did some stretches and went on my way.
    I started off at a fine pace with a podcast on for company. First few miles were fine and my podcast ended at around 9miles so I just left the ipod off for a while.
    On the 10th mile I had the energy shot and breezed along to mile 15. The reason I say breezed along is that when I reached mile 11 I hit a part of running path I really enjoy. It really made a difference as I didn't notice the time fly by and before I knew it I was on to mile 15... at the bottom of a large hill.
    From then to the end I put some music on to ease the pain that began to make itself known and also began to consume my energy drink over the course of the final 5miles.
    Finish time: 2:58.

As soon as I got home I threw some food down my throat, and a hell of a lot of water, and then jumped into a cold bath for about 15 minutes.

It wouldn't kill me to bring an extra bottle of water with me from now on.
    I'll rephrase that;
    It will probably kill me if I don't bring an extra bottle of water with me next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

RayCun wrote: »
    If it was me, I'd do a shorter LSR this weekend, so I could race the half-marathon, and use it to judge my marathon pace. If you run with the 1.50 pace group you'll have a better idea whether you're capable of sub4 or not. (If you find it really easy you could even consider going for 3.45.)
    At this stage, I reckon finding the pace to run at is more important than checking off a 19 mile LSR, especially since you've done one already.
    In answer to (1) I would have a slight concern in terms of doing 3 hard LSRs on 3 consecutive weeks. You've done 19 already, maybe consider doing 15-17 this week and follow the rest as you've stated? You're going to get the 20 in anyway later on. That said - see how things go this week, and on your LSR listen hard to what your body is saying. If it's feeling the strain I'd call it at 15, if you're feeling good go to 17.

Thanks Guys. Think I'll opt for somewhere around 15-17 miles this weekend so. I should be on course for sub 1:50 in the half I reckon, hopefully a couple of mins quicker ;)
    And for (2), I think 4 hours would be a good base target, with 3:45-3:50 as your "inner child" goal. How do you feel running at 5.25/km pace? How have you felt at the end of your LSRs at this pace?

Don't worry about not having run more than 20 miles at once. Your training has prepared you well for the last 6.2 miles whether you believe it or not. Trust your plan, keep the head up and enjoy it. :)

Yeah, think 4:00 will be my main goal and see how I feel in the last few miles to see if I can push on. My LSR on Saturday felt very good at 5:25km pace. I had been running at around 5:20 for the previous couple of LSRs and found the going a bit too tough on the last one so decided to adjust. Amazing the difference 5 secs a km can make!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Can I give an alternative perspective on this? You guys choose whether or not you want to listen to this...
    Half Marathon

Name|PaceGroup|Target|Actual
    RayCun|1.50|1:48|
    JEmily|2.00|1.55|
    MrSlow|2.00|1.55|
    NachoQueen|2.00|1.58|
    jcsmum|2.00|1.59|
    |||

Interesting to hear your thoughts/targets for the half and the full. I've only been out with you guys for a LSR once and for the 12 miles I stuck with you we were well under 10:00/miles.

For the half marathon I think a lot of you guys are selling yourselves short. In my opinion, a lot of you should be going with the 1:50 pacing group for the half. I'm basing this on three things:
    1. Holding 9:09/mile for 26.2 miles means you should be able to run faster over 13.1 miles
    2. The half marathon is not the goal race for this group, so no harm giving something a go and it not working out
    3. You have all done lots of miles and know you can finish a 13.1 mile race so even if you have to slow later in the race you should have banked a sub-2:00 time by then

Of course, this has a risk that you blow up and it's a knock to your confidence. If you do decide to give this a go you have to realise it's an experiment and put it behind you if it doesn't work.

From the LSR I did with you guys, mrslow, JEmily (and a few others who I can't remember their usernames) should be well able and should be brave enough to give this a go.
    Marathon

RayCun|4.00|3:55|
    JEmily|4.00|3.59|
    MrSlow|4.00|3.59|
    NachoQueen|4.00|3.59|
    jcsmum|4.30|4.20|
    Meathcountysec|None :(|5:00ish|
    littlebug|None |4:40ish|

On the other hand, for the full marathon I think a certain level of caution should be taken. Again I'm going back to the best bit of advice I got before my first marathon: whatever you do make sure you enjoy the day!! If you kill yourself chasing after a time you will not enjoy it. Again based on that LSR, most of you should be well able to do sub-4:00, but I think you should go with the mindset that if it is not working on the day that you should be prepared to back off a little and have fun, while still going well under 4:30 :)

Remember the pacers are just a guide - not the be all and end all of the marathon. You're doing the training, have the confidence in it to get you around without them if necessary.

I'm sure some of you think I'm talking out of my arse, but I think you should give it a little bit of thought before both races.

OK, enough lectureing :D

Is there a group going out this Saturday for a LSR? I've changed my flights so will be back in Dublin this weekend. My plan is to hit 20 miles, but if you guys are doing less I'd love some company for part of that - it was so much easier doing my 19 when I hooked up with you guys for 12 of them!!

Same place, same time, same pace on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I can't make Saturday morning but if anyone is doing a lsr on Sunday morning in the Park (i'm doing 18), let me know by pm.

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Haven't decided yet about Saturday - I'm only planning to do 14 this week and was thinking about sticking to Tymon. But I might change my mind before then.

Completely agree about the targets in the half - I reckon most if not all of the group from the other week could get around in 1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

I intend to be there on Saturday, but 'only' looking at a 14/15 miles run. Totally agree Xebec with your analysis based on my only get together with a few of the group last week. Everyone in that group is more than capable of a sub 2 hour HM, just a question of how much under the 2 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

xebec wrote: »
    For the half marathon I think a lot of you guys are selling yourselves short. In my opinion, a lot of you should be going with the 1:50 pacing group for the half. I'm basing this on three things:

From the LSR I did with you guys, mrslow, JEmily (and a few others who I can't remember their usernames) should be well able and should be brave enough to give this a go.

On the other hand, for the full marathon I think a certain level of caution should be taken. Again I'm going back to the best bit of advice I got before my first marathon: whatever you do make sure you enjoy the day!! If you kill yourself chasing after a time you will not enjoy it. Again based on that LSR, most of you should be well able to do sub-4:00, but I think you should go with the mindset that if it is not working on the day that you should be prepared to back off a little and have fun, while still going well under 4:30 :)

Re: Half
    I'll give it a go alright, if it blows up it's ok, hadn't planned on any times really anyway. But that's 8.1 min/miles? Is that not too fast?

Re: Full
    So you saying we should go with 4.30 pacers and just try enjoy it and if we have an energy pull away like Ray said mile 20? Or just stay with 4.00 pacers?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

There's a few heading away on holidays i know of this week or coming weeks. So thought this might be useful if you (Digger!) if you end up buying another pair of runners in the Airport - without your wife's consent.

Also for my chauffeur on the way home, The Wexican, enjoy your LSR Saturday and your holidays:D

I'm away myself for a week on Thursday, i'm secretly dreading the holiday as i'd like to continue my good training and LSR in in the Phoenix Park with you all:(. But hey ho, am hoping the sleep and heat will improve my runs (ahem and a few brandy & baileys;))

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

JEmily wrote: »
    I'll give it a go alright, if it blows up it's ok, hadn't planned on any times really anyway. But that's 8.1 min/miles? Is that not too fast?

A 1.50 half is 8.24 a mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Half Marathon

RayCun|1.50|1:48|
    JEmily|2.00|1.55|
    MrSlow|2.00|1.55|
    NachoQueen|2.00|1.58|
    jcsmum|2.00|1.59|
    |||

Marathon

RayCun|4.00|3:55|
    JEmily|4.00|3.59|
    MrSlow|4.00|3.59|
    NachoQueen|4.00|3.59|
    jcsmum|4.30|4.20|
    Meathcountysec|None :(|5:00ish|
    littlebug|None |4:40ish|
    RubyK|4.00 |3.55|

www.sweatshop.co.uk have some good value items at the moment. Got a NB running jacket for £18 this morning.

Thanks for the tips on the Penneys hat & gloves just incase the weather isn't the best on the day!

As Ray said, more like 8:23/8:24 per mile. Might find it tough but you should be well able for it.
    Re: Full
    So you saying we should go with 4.30 pacers and just try enjoy it and if we have an energy pull away like Ray said mile 20? Or just stay with 4.00 pacers?

Not exactly what I was saying, just think you should all give a bit more thought about what you really want to get out of this race. I think most of you should be well able for 4:00, but in my opinion you should go out with the mindset that it's not a bad thing to back off if you're not enjoying in any way. This will be your first, you don't want to have an experience that will make it your last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I hear what xebec is saying about selling ourselves short, but there is always the danger of going too fast too soon and just not having it in the tank at the end. That is my biggest fear.

Based on my 10m time of 88.12 and my training etc... I am being realistic about a 2 hour half I might knock a few minutes off, but that would be it.

As for the full marathon, I will stay with the 4:30 pacers and IF I can go it alone for the last few miles I will. I would be aiming to do 10 minute miles throughout and again, hopefully be able to pick it up towards the end.

For the Frank Duffy 10 miler, I kept talking to myself for the first 5 miles 'keep it at this pace, keep it at this pace, don't speed up....'. And it worked. I was consistant but more importantly, I really enjoyed the race.
    And I was thrilled with my time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

xebec wrote: »
    This will be your first, you don't want to have an experience that will make it your last.

Go out for 4 but be happy with 4.30!

Hi All,

Had a torturous physio session last night and when the swelling goes down I'll be brand new.

My physio who runs himself had been with a dietition , (physio has represented Ireland) who recommended a recovery drink, apparently there is an as yet unpublished study which recommends the following: 2 tablespoons Nesquik chocolate powder, 3 tablespoons skimmed milk powder and 500 ml water.

It has 4:1 Carbs to protein and according to the study is as good if not better than those shiny ones on the market.

Caring is Sharing;)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|4|32.2|177.6||
    The Wexican|||173.5||
    rofno1|4|21|203|Lazy LSR aborted due to the heavy rain on Saturday morning|
    boccy23|5|40|232||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|1|3|185| holidays and italian moutains and heat = 1 awful attempt, back to the grindstone this week |
    michellemuncher|||154||
    RayCun|4|40|327.8|I'm claiming that as a 21.7 mile LSR yesterday, to get a nice round number for the week. Probably within a mile either side anyway|
    littlebug|4|32|272.2|found the last few miles of 16m lsr tough going but got there|
    meathcountysec|5|40.90|421.46|19.44 miles LSR. This thing might actually happen|
    DigiJem|1|4|236|No running for most of this week, surprised myself at how much I missed it|
    D Chief|||191.8||
    digger2d2|4|38|309|Ahhh...20 mile LSR done, feel a bit worn out today|
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|4|45|283|20mile LSR wasn't the worst in the world and I managed to miss the rain yesterday|
    RallyRunner|4|32.5|241.5|Found the end of the LSR very tough. Felt like I was running on empty|
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|34|269|Delighted with my 17 mile LSR in just over 2:32. I felt I could have gone on but decided against it. I'm sore today though|
    RubyK|4|34.85|332.65|LSR of 17.6 miles. Struggled at mile 11 but felt good for the last couple of miles.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|35|151|Delighted with 19m LSR, still stiff today|
    Mrslow|4|32.9|154.55|Tough LSR of 16.9 but only because of IT Band|
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|3|30|c359|Missed one session due to work commitments but delighted to do the 19 mile LSR yesterday|
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|48.2|409.7|Very happy to get in the 20 miler today. tired though|

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »
    Hi All,

Had a torturous physio session last night and when the swelling goes down I'll be brand new.

My physio who runs himself had been with a dietition , (physio has represented Ireland) who recommended a recovery drink, apparently there is an as yet unpublished study which recommends the following: 2 tablespoons Nesquik chocolate powder, 3 tablespoons skimmed milk powder and 500 ml water.

It has 4:1 Carbs to protein and according to the study is as good if not better than those shiny ones on the market.

Caring is Sharing;)

Sounds like the Mars milk drink that I've heard a few people recommend :)

Getting back to Rainbow's discussion topic and how our perception of the race and our abilities may have changed, I felt at the beginning that I was training to run 20 and crawl 6.2 miles.

Today I feel like I'll be relatively comfortable running across the line sub 4, ask me tomorrow and my answer may not be so optimistic. I never thought I could run the distances I have and when I run a new longer distance I pass the previous distance with greater ease than when I ran it last time. I'm looking forward to 20 now, two weeks ago I was dreading it.

Roll on DCM when lambs become lions!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

William72|4|32.2|177.6||
    The Wexican|4|37|210.5|Delighted to get 19 miles done on Saturday, great confidence booster|
    boccy23|5|40|232||
    brophya2007|||223.3||
    beamgirl|1|3|185| holidays and italian moutains and heat = 1 awful attempt, back to the grindstone this week |
    michellemuncher|||154||
    RayCun|4|40|327.8|I'm claiming that as a 21.7 mile LSR yesterday, to get a nice round number for the week. Probably within a mile either side anyway|
    littlebug|4|32|272.2|found the last few miles of 16m lsr tough going but got there|
    meathcountysec|5|40.90|421.46|19.44 miles LSR. This thing might actually happen|
    DigiJem|1|4|236|No running for most of this week, surprised myself at how much I missed it|
    D Chief|||191.8||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|4|45|283|20mile LSR wasn't the worst in the world and I managed to miss the rain yesterday|
    RallyRunner|4|32.5|241.5|Found the end of the LSR very tough. Felt like I was running on empty|
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|34|269|Delighted with my 17 mile LSR in just over 2:32. I felt I could have gone on but decided against it. I'm sore today though|
    RubyK|4|34.85|332.65|LSR of 17.6 miles. Struggled at mile 11 but felt good for the last couple of miles.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|3|30|c359|Missed one session due to work commitments but delighted to do the 19 mile LSR yesterday|
    tivvo|||||

I always had a goal of 4 hours for finishing the marathon, however while getting the miles in I'm a bit worried of going for it, as I won't have a race of any significant mileage under my belt since June , as I'm missing the half. I'm comfortable enough at 9m/mile in my longish mid week run, just have a fear of not being able to keep it up over the full distance. Depending on the coming weeks might just target 4.10 and then maybe aim for a Spring Marathon to get my sub 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

William72|4|32.2|177.6||
    The Wexican|4|37|210.5|Delighted to get 19 miles done on Saturday, great confidence booster|
    boccy23|5|40|232||
    brophya2007|3|16|239.3|Missed the LSR|
    michellemuncher|||154||
    D Chief|||191.8||
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    tivvo|||||

Due to a family bereavment I missed last weeks LSR and now have to re-schedule my training plan. I'm wondering should I skip the half and go for an 18 mile lsr instead?

Thoughts? I'm planning on doing 16 this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

chinguetti wrote: »
    I can't make Saturday morning but if anyone is doing a lsr on Sunday morning in the Park (i'm doing 18), let me know by pm.

C

Chiguetti, I'll be doing 17 on sunday morning, would be nice to meet up (maybe RQ too)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Due to a family bereavment I missed last weeks LSR and now have to re-schedule my training plan. I'm wondering should I skip the half and go for an 18 mile lsr instead?

If you're already entered for the half, then just add a few miles of a warmup beforehand and you'll get close enough to the 18 anyway.

Sorry to hear that brophya, I was advised by many that the half would be more beneficial than running 18 that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Well done to everyone who managed to get a session in yesterday in the rain! Didn’t meet anyone else out in the damp, although think the novelty of the conditions made the run more enjoyable!

Are people aiming for a pace and time in halfer based on their preparation and aims for full marathon or are you aiming for best time possible? Have done half before in 1hr 40 but that was very hilly so thought I’d aim to at least beat this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Roll on DCM when lambs become lamb chops :p

Roll on DCM when lambs become lamb chops :p

That's the spirit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Dear God.....Jet lagged to bejaysus after 26 hours of travel...Woke at 3 am and went down to the gym to do 3 miles on the treadmill in a 24 hr but very very warm room....It looked like I'd been painted in varnish...Going back there this evening for 2 x 7:15 miles....

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Dear God.....Jet lagged to bejaysus after 26 hours of travel...Woke at 3 am and went down to the gym to do 3 miles on the treadmill in a 24 hr but very very warm room....It looked like I'd been painted in varnish...Going back there this evening for 2 x 7:15 miles....

Good Luck with the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

good luck today digger, fingers and skanky welty toes crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

got new asics kayanos today, very strange looking thangs !

Advertisement