Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|4|32.2|177.6||
    The Wexican|4|37|210.5|Delighted to get 19 miles done on Saturday, great confidence booster|
    rofno1|4|21|203|Lazy LSR aborted due to the heavy rain on Saturday morning|
    boccy23|5|40|232||
    brophya2007|3|16|239.3|Missed the LSR|
    beamgirl|1|3|185| holidays and italian moutains and heat = 1 awful attempt, back to the grindstone this week |
    michellemuncher|||154||
    RayCun|4|40|327.8|I'm claiming that as a 21.7 mile LSR yesterday, to get a nice round number for the week. Probably within a mile either side anyway|
    littlebug|4|32|272.2|found the last few miles of 16m lsr tough going but got there|
    meathcountysec|5|40.90|421.46|19.44 miles LSR. This thing might actually happen|
    DigiJem|1|4|236|No running for most of this week, surprised myself at how much I missed it|
    D Chief|4|36|227.8|Did 20 mile LSR. Tough going but got there and recovered ok.|
    digger2d2|4|38|309|Ahhh...20 mile LSR done, feel a bit worn out today|
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|4|45|283|20mile LSR wasn't the worst in the world and I managed to miss the rain yesterday|
    RallyRunner|4|32.5|241.5|Found the end of the LSR very tough. Felt like I was running on empty|
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|34|269|Delighted with my 17 mile LSR in just over 2:32. I felt I could have gone on but decided against it. I'm sore today though|
    RubyK|4|34.85|332.65|LSR of 17.6 miles. Struggled at mile 11 but felt good for the last couple of miles.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|35|151|Delighted with 19m LSR, still stiff today|
    Mrslow|4|32.9|154.55|Tough LSR of 16.9 but only because of IT Band|
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139||
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|3|30|c359|Missed one session due to work commitments but delighted to do the 19 mile LSR yesterday|
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|48.2|409.7|Very happy to get in the 20 miler today. tired though|

Did 20 mile LSR on Saturday evening. Intended to start at about 3pm, but it was after 6 when I got going, so it was dark when I got home again at 9.30. I also planned my route around getting to a shop at 9-10 miles to buy water, but then forgot to bring any money. D'oh!

Felt totally wrecked after the run. Actually there were times during it when I thought I was done. Energy gels really proved their worth though. Took them at 6, 13 and 16.5 miles and really gave me a boost. Spent a lot of time in latter half of the run thinking about food and how can I go 4 1/2 hours of exercise without eating!

Once again, I was very cold after the run, hands and lips turning blue. I was like an invalid wrapped up in sweatshirt and tracksuit and blanket, lying on the couch, watching the TV for an hour or so before I warmed up. I'm not really worried about it, just something I know I have to deal with. I will be bringing lots of clothes, including wolly hat and gloves, to wear after the marathon itself.

My right knee felt sore during the LSR and was still sore on Sunday. I expected the knee might be an issue, it's a problem from an old injury and wear and tear over the years, but after Saturday's LSR I really thought it might be a serious problem. Thankfully, it settled down and I did 3 miles on Monday with no problem. I am encouraged that I recovered so well from being completely shattered on Saturday night to being fine on Monday morning. It took me the best part of a week to get over a half marathon in May.

At the start I said 4 hours would be dream result but 4:15 or 4:20 might be more realistic. Now, I know 4:00 is a pipe dream, 4:20 is probably what I will aim for, but I'll be happy enough to get to 26.2 miles and be still running ok. Because of my knee, this will be my one and only go at a marathon, so I don't want to ruin it by trying for a time I won't make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Half Marathon

Name|PaceGroup|Target|Actual
    RayCun|1.50|1:48|
    JEmily|2.00|1.55|
    MrSlow|2.00|1.55|
    NachoQueen|2.00|1.58|
    jcsmum|2.00|1.59|
    James Howlett|1.30|1.29|
    |||

Marathon

RayCun|4.00|3:55|
    JEmily|4.00|3.59|
    MrSlow|4.00|3.59|
    NachoQueen|4.00|3.59|
    jcsmum|4.30|4.20|
    Meathcountysec|None :(|5:00ish|
    littlebug|None |4:40ish|
    RubyK|4.00 |3.55|

A question for those hoping to combine their LSR with the Half-Marathon;

Do you intend to run say 5-6 miles before the race, finish at 9:30 and then do the half-marathon at 10am?
    or
    Do you plan to organize your run so that you reach the Half-Marathon start line while in stride with 5 or 6 miles immediately behind you?
    (The problem with this being you might have to start at the back of 6000 peoples)

Just curious as I think this is a great idea but I'm a little unsure of the best execution for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Do you intend to run say 5-6 miles before the race, finish at 9:30 and then do the half-marathon at 10am?
    or
    Do you plan to organize your run so that you reach the Half-Marathon start line while in stride with 5 or 6 miles immediately behind you?
    (The problem with this being you might have to start at the back of 6000 peoples)

Just curious as I think this is a great idea but I'm a little unsure of the best execution for it.
    Not possible in my opinion, it would be very difficult to run a sub 1:30 half coming through the back of a field that may have a slow rearguard, it may be possible on the road sections but the foot path sections would be a nightmare. I started too far back last year and ended up having to pass people by running on the grass verges beside the foot path which is full of divots (high risk of twisting your ankle!)
    Easier to tag on to the end (if you don't mind running with a goodie bag and a spar lunch box in your hands!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just saw this on Twitter: 101 Reasons To Run A Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|4|32.2|177.6||
    The Wexican|4|37|210.5|Delighted to get 19 miles done on Saturday, great confidence booster|
    rofno1|4|21|203|Lazy LSR aborted due to the heavy rain on Saturday morning|
    boccy23|5|40|232||
    brophya2007|3|16|239.3|Missed the LSR|
    beamgirl|1|3|185| holidays and italian moutains and heat = 1 awful attempt, back to the grindstone this week |
    michellemuncher|||154||
    RayCun|4|40|327.8|I'm claiming that as a 21.7 mile LSR yesterday, to get a nice round number for the week. Probably within a mile either side anyway|
    littlebug|4|32|272.2|found the last few miles of 16m lsr tough going but got there|
    meathcountysec|5|40.90|421.46|19.44 miles LSR. This thing might actually happen|
    DigiJem|1|4|236|No running for most of this week, surprised myself at how much I missed it|
    D Chief|4|36|227.8|Did 20 mile LSR. Tough going but got there and recovered ok.|
    digger2d2|4|38|309|Ahhh...20 mile LSR done, feel a bit worn out today|
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|4|45|283|20mile LSR wasn't the worst in the world and I managed to miss the rain yesterday|
    RallyRunner|4|32.5|241.5|Found the end of the LSR very tough. Felt like I was running on empty|
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|34|269|Delighted with my 17 mile LSR in just over 2:32. I felt I could have gone on but decided against it. I'm sore today though|
    RubyK|4|34.85|332.65|LSR of 17.6 miles. Struggled at mile 11 but felt good for the last couple of miles.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|35|151|Delighted with 19m LSR, still stiff today|
    Mrslow|4|32.9|154.55|Tough LSR of 16.9 but only because of IT Band|
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139|One more week on the injured list|
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|3|30|c359|Missed one session due to work commitments but delighted to do the 19 mile LSR yesterday|
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|48.2|409.7|Very happy to get in the 20 miler today. tired though|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Stealing that to post various places.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

or

Neither is really a good Idea. Just forget about doing 18 and race the half- that is more effective training than a slow 18. Doing 13.1 miles fast and 5 slow is ineffective as an LSR. Doing 5 before the half will just affect your race detrimentally. Doing 5 immediately after the race will be stupid as you will be on very heavy and tired legs. If I were going to do an extra few miles, I would either do them several hours before the Race or later that evening as a recovery run, but I persoanlly plan on doing my recovery in the pub!

If you really feel like you must run your LSR you would be best doing it early in the week (Monday, tuesday or wednesday) and ditch one of your shorter runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

25. Get the marathoner “chin”
    Running a marathon seems to be the only way to build up the muscle on front of your chin, creating a sharp edge along your chin bone. This neat muscle is the signature of a marathoner. Make sure to get one !

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey all! Just popping in to say great work out of everyone here! You're all doing great, keep up the good work. Hopefully I'll be part of this next year...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

claralara wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll be part of this next year...:rolleyes:
    You know you will :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

You know you will :)

I will won't I... :) All going well anyway. Though the thought of anything longer than 13.1 miles (never mind double it!) is terrifying right now. I have serious respect for all of you and you the continued hard work and diligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

nachoqueen wrote: »
    got new asics kayanos today, very strange looking thangs !

I got the new Asic Nimbus 12 with the offset laces recently. Not a fan of that. Seems to get the Lace Locks I use right on the top of the bone in the foot. Asics seem to be trying too hard to make their shoes look "cool".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

Half Marathon

RayCun|1.50|1:48|
    JEmily|2.00|1.55|
    MrSlow|2.00|1.55|
    NachoQueen|2.00|1.58|
    jcsmum|2.00|1.59|
    James Howlett|1.30|1.29|
    Boccy23|None|2:00|

Marathon

RayCun|4.00|3:55|
    JEmily|4.00|3.59|
    MrSlow|4.00|3.59|
    NachoQueen|4.00|3.59|
    jcsmum|4.30|4.20|
    Meathcountysec|None :(|5:00ish|
    littlebug|None |4:40ish|
    RubyK|4.00 |3.55|
    Boccy23|None |4.15|

Struggling a bit with what I will try for the Half. I tried to go hard for the 10 mile and ended up flaffing up the hills at the end and finishing in 1:32. I had started with 8:15 to 8:20 for the first 6 miles and then blew up.

Should I try to start at 9:15 or so and speed up at the end or pace on regular 8:50 and hope to keep that up?

As far as time for the big day, I fully intend on starting as an LSR at 10 min miles and settling in. I hope then to pick it up from there and who knows, 4 hours may be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

For anyone struggling with training, LSR or just general motivation to complete their first Marathon

Watch at least once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

menoscemo wrote: »
    Neither is really a good Idea. Just forget about doing 18 and race the half- that is more effective training than a slow 18. Doing 13.1 miles fast and 5 slow is ineffective as an LSR. Doing 5 before the half will just affect your race detrimentally. Doing 5 immediately after the race will be stupid as you will be on very heavy and tired legs. If I were going to do an extra few miles, I would either do them several hours before the Race or later that evening as a recovery run, but I persoanlly plan on doing my recovery in the pub!

If you really feel like you must run your LSR you would be best doing it early in the week (Monday, tuesday or wednesday) and ditch one of your shorter runs.

Thanks Sideswipe and Menoscemo.
    These are the answers I was actually hoping for.
    Focusing purely on the Half itself does seem like the best thing to do.

The thoughts of trying to blend a run straight into the Half Marathon... I can only imagine that your pace would just stop itself dead trying to come from the back and into an appropriately placed group toward the centre/ top of the crowd.

Anyhow really looking forward to it now.
    Yes 1:30 is an ambitious target and I hold no hope for a 1st time sub-3 hour marathon but I do aim to put everything into gaining this achievement in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

[
    I always had a goal of 4 hours for finishing the marathon, however while getting the miles in I'm a bit worried of going for it, as I won't have a race of any significant mileage under my belt since June , as I'm missing the half.

I'm in a similar position The Wexican, and looking for some advice - I won't have raced since the Enniscorthy half back at the end of June. There is a 10 mile race in Waterford on 17th October. Would this be of any benefit, or is it too close to the marathon? Or should I just continue on with the training plan I have? Oh the nerves are starting to kick in alright :o

17th of October is far too close, you should be in the middle of your taper by then.

What about the Athlone 3/4 marathon for both of you?

RayCun wrote: »
    you should be in the middle of your taper by then.

What about the Athlone 3/4 marathon for both of you?

Thanks RayCun - the plan I'm following, says 5 on Sat & 5 on the Sunday - thought I could maybe combine the two :o But I know you are right, it's too close.

Athlone isn't possible, too far, and family commitments on that date.

How important is racing during marathon training? Looks like I left that part out of my plans altogether :eek:

RubyK wrote: »
    How important is racing during marathon training?

I don't think its important for your training, just as a confidence-builder/sanity check on your marathon time. I think you're fine for your sub4 goal with all the miles you've been putting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

claralara wrote: »
    I will won't I... :) All going well anyway. Though the thought of anything longer than 13.1 miles (never mind double it!) is terrifying right now. I have serious respect for all of you and you the continued hard work and diligence.

It's all in the head, when you're looking down at 13.1 you'll have a completely different perspective.

Thanks for the support. Hope to see you on the LSR's in the park next year!

• Advertisement

I'm in a similar position The Wexican, and looking for some advice - I won't have raced since the Enniscorthy half back at the end of June. There is a 10 mile race in Waterford on 17th October. Would this be of any benefit, or is it too close to the marathon? Or should I just continue on with the training plan I have? Oh the nerves are starting to kick in alright :o

Of everyone here I'd say you're well up there with pace and ability!

TBH mrslow, I'm not feeling that confident. I'm just sorry that I didn't sign up for the Dublin half after all. It would be an invaluble lesson on how the training is really going. Kicking myself now :o Ah well.

Nice run you had last night - fantastic that you were able to do it pain free! Here's to an injury free remaining 7 weeks :D

TBH mrslow, I'm not feeling that confident. I'm just sorry that I didn't sign up for the Dublin half after all. It would be an invaluble lesson on how the training is really going. Kicking myself now :o Ah well.

Nice run you had last night - fantastic that you were able to do it pain free! Here's to an injury free remaining 7 weeks :D

I'll be back in pain soon, I just have to schedule IT Band stripping to pre empt long runs:(

You have nothing to worry about - 25.8 miles in 4:07 as your LSR? You've been running serious mileage every week without any real rest, LSR's on the back of 14/15/16 mile midweeks but after the taper you'll be well rested and your body will be used to running tired, you'll fly around. Myself, JEmily and a few others will be running together at 9 min miles so you won't be alone.

Stop worrying and start enjoying!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

nachoqueen wrote: »
    got new asics kayanos today, very strange looking thangs !

Yay for new runners, you won't know yourself!

My new Brooks Infinity have just arrived into the shop, only nearly 2 weeks later. They better be worth the wait.

P.S. I'm binning my old Asics Kayano's this evening...they have served me well, loyal servant up to the 19 mile mark of DCM Training 2010. May they rest in peace:)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

boccy23 wrote: »
    I got the new Asic Nimbus 12 with the offset laces recently. Not a fan of that. Seems to get the Lace Locks I use right on the top of the bone in the foot. Asics seem to be trying too hard to make their shoes look "cool".

Totally agree, for the first time in 10 years i've changed to Brooks. I'll let you know how i get on, but i'm terrified leaving my Asics Kayano behind me...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Just in case anyone is interested, Wiggle have 20% off gels at the moment.

Guys,

Do you know how many come in a box? The price is per box but doesn't say how many.

JEmily wrote: »
    Yay for new runners, you won't know yourself!

My new Brooks Infinity have just arrive dinto the shop, only nearly 2 weeks later. they better be worth the wait.

P.S. I'm binning my old Asics Kayano's this evening...they have served me well, loyal servant up to the 19 mile mark of DCM Training 2010. May they rest in peace:)

Are you going to have a little ceremony? Light a few candles?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Guys,

Do you know how many come in a box? The price is per box but doesn't say how many.

The Isogels are 25 to a box I think:rolleyes:

mrslow wrote: »
    Myself, JEmily and a few others will be running together at 9 min miles so you won't be alone.

Stop worrying and start enjoying!;)

I'll be in good company so :)

And you're right, must stop worrying (and overthinking!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I'll be in good company so :)

And you're right, must stop worrying (and overthinking!).

@RubyK

If you are hankering after a race have you considered Kilkenny Half on 19th September?

Advertisement