Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

RubyK wrote: »
    I'm just sorry that I didn't sign up for the Dublin half after all. It would be an invaluble lesson on how the training is really going. Kicking myself now :o Ah well.

It might be no harm to ring the Half-Marathon organisers and ask nicely for a late entry. You may still be able to make it. Remember; God loves a trier.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

RayCun wrote: »
    17th of October is far too close, you should be in the middle of your taper by then.

What about the Athlone 3/4 marathon for both of you?

Thinking twenty miles with only three weeks to go at pmp might be a little much, and there doesn't seem to be any real benefit in entering it to just use as a lsr.

Guess it's just stick to the training and hope that it'll work out on the day.

Put my times into McMillan and I'm getting between 3.54. and 4.00:40, so hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

As some of ye are looking for a race event, there's the Cork to Cobh 15 mile race on the 3rd of October for anyone looking for a race before the marathon. 10 yo-yos to enter. The start is 9.30 so a good prep for Dublin re: food/drinks/sleep strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

@RubyK

If you are hankering after a race have you considered Kilkenny Half on 19th September?

mcs - this I did not know! Thanks very much!

Thanks James Howlett :)

chinguetti - I heard about this one, and it sounds great, but family commitments have me stretched that day.

Thanks again for all the suggestions ;) Plenty to think about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

xebec wrote: »
    OK, enough lectureing :D

Is there a group going out this Saturday for a LSR? I've changed my flights so will be back in Dublin this weekend. My plan is to hit 20 miles, but if you guys are doing less I'd love some company for part of that - it was so much easier doing my 19 when I hooked up with you guys for 12 of them!!

Same place, same time, same pace on Saturday?

I'm on for Saturday as usual as is The Wexican, 9am Knockmaroon hill. I thought we'd follow the half marathon route without the little loops and add a bit on at the end for good measure. Plan is 15 but might stretch to 20 if I'm feeling good.

Lifestyle Sports 25% off All Footwear sale starts today.
    All brands included

mrslow wrote: »
    I'm on for Saturday as usual as is The Wexican, 9am Knockmaroon hill. I thought we'd follow the half marathon route without the little loops and add a bit on at the end for good measure. Plan is 15 but might stretch to 20 if I'm feeling good.

I'm so bloody jealous, and before anyone says anything (mrslow) i know a holiday should be more appealing than an LSR...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Half Marathon

Name|PaceGroup|Target|Actual
    RayCun|1.50|1:48|
    JEmily|2.00|1.55|
    MrSlow|2.00|1.55|
    NachoQueen|2.00|1.58|
    jcsmum|2.00|1.59|
    James Howlett|1.30|1.29|
    Boccy23|None|2:00|
    Michelle|2hr|1:57|

Marathon

RayCun|4.00|3:55|
    JEmily|4.00|3.59|
    MrSlow|4.00|3.59|
    NachoQueen|4.00|3.59|
    jcsmum|4.30|4.20|
    Meathcountysec|None :(|5:00ish|
    littlebug|None |4:40ish|
    RubyK|4.00 |3.55|
    Boccy23|None |4.15|
    Michelle|None|4:20|

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|4|32.2|177.6||
    The Wexican|4|37|210.5|Delighted to get 19 miles done on Saturday, great confidence booster|
    rofno1|4|21|203|Lazy LSR aborted due to the heavy rain on Saturday morning|
    boccy23|5|40|232||
    brophya2007|3|16|239.3|Missed the LSR|
    beamgirl|1|3|185| holidays and italian moutains and heat = 1 awful attempt, back to the grindstone this week |
    michellemuncher|4|27|181|LSR of 15.5m was really slow. Cycled 35m|
    RayCun|4|40|327.8|I'm claiming that as a 21.7 mile LSR yesterday, to get a nice round number for the week. Probably within a mile either side anyway|
    littlebug|4|32|272.2|found the last few miles of 16m lsr tough going but got there|
    meathcountysec|5|40.90|421.46|19.44 miles LSR. This thing might actually happen|
    DigiJem|1|4|236|No running for most of this week, surprised myself at how much I missed it|
    D Chief|4|36|227.8|Did 20 mile LSR. Tough going but got there and recovered ok.|
    digger2d2|4|38|309|Ahhh...20 mile LSR done, feel a bit worn out today|
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|4|45|283|20mile LSR wasn't the worst in the world and I managed to miss the rain yesterday|
    RallyRunner|4|32.5|241.5|Found the end of the LSR very tough. Felt like I was running on empty|
    corked|||213.5| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|34|269|Delighted with my 17 mile LSR in just over 2:32. I felt I could have gone on but decided against it. I'm sore today though|
    RubyK|4|34.85|332.65|LSR of 17.6 miles. Struggled at mile 11 but felt good for the last couple of miles.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|35|151|Delighted with 19m LSR, still stiff today|
    Mrslow|4|32.9|154.55|Tough LSR of 16.9 but only because of IT Band|
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139|One more week on the injured list|
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|3|30|c359|Missed one session due to work commitments but delighted to do the 19 mile LSR yesterday|
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|48.2|409.7|Very happy to get in the 20 miler today. tired though|

Gosh, you guys are as fast with the fingers on the keyboard as ye are on the road! I didn't realise what low weekly mileage I have been doing. I meant my lsr at the weekend to have been 17m but like D Chief, I didn't get out for my run till 6pm..... on Saturday.....in the Phoenix Park!! We probably crossed paths a few times. I had to go to a pub half way through for a break and got my water bottle refilled. And then it was getting too dark to continue my planned route and I subsequently underestimated the distance I had to run. And I was feeling good enough to add on a few more miles. Tried a few Sports Beans (sweets) but wasn't mad about them. Caramel Freddo's on the other hand worked a treat. Go with what the stomach likes :)

Everyone is doing really well. MrSlow, if you can do 20miles you can do 26.2. And welcome back to full recovery William72. Very good news. I will be there this Sat morning to do the first half with ye, then I will hit the trails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Good Luck with the interview.
    nachoqueen wrote: »
    good luck today digger, fingers and skanky welty toes crossed!

Thanks guys....All went well, will have a letter of offer next week...This has been the longest trip of my life!!! It's 23.40 here, 07.40 back home and my flight is in 6 hours..Just finished work and got back to the hotel, thinking of skipping the 2 hour nap and just going up to the room to pack now and check-out....I feel like the Airport guy George Clooney played (without the amazing good looks I'll add before JEmily does)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

Half Marathon

RayCun|1.50|1:48|
    JEmily|2.00|1.55|
    MrSlow|2.00|1.55|
    NachoQueen|2.00|1.58|
    jcsmum|2.00|1.59|
    James Howlett|1.30|1.29|
    Boccy23|None|2:00|
    Michelle|2hr|1:57|
    ROF|2:00|1:59|

Marathon

RayCun|4.00|3:55|
    JEmily|4.00|3.59|
    MrSlow|4.00|3.59|
    NachoQueen|4.00|3.59|
    jcsmum|4.30|4.20|
    Meathcountysec|None :(|5:00ish|
    littlebug|None |4:40ish|
    RubyK|4.00 |3.55|
    Boccy23|None |4.15|
    Michelle|None|4:20|
    ROF|4:00|4:00|

Right, thats the colours nailed to the mast now for the marathon. To be honest, anything under 4.30 and I'll be delighted and I'd be happy with a finish!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Looking for a bit of advice here.

I did 17 miles with the boards group 2 weeks ago, was intending to do 20 last Sat, but couldn't. Will do the 20 miles this weekend.
    Thing is, I'd like to do the Firhouse 10k on Saturday as it's so near to me & I'm familiar with the route.

Should I (a), do the 10k on Sat and the 20miles on Sunday or (b), just abandon the 10k and do my 20miles with the group on Saturday.

I'd like to do the 10k, but I really don't want to do the 20m on my own.
    Decisions Decisions......

I suppose what I'm asking is which is more beneficial in the greater scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you haven't done a 20 yet I think it would be more beneficial to get one under your belt. And I wouldn't like to try going out for 20 the day after racing a 10k.

Thanks for the advice Ray, I know you are right, I just wanted someone to tell me!
    I'll be in the park so on Sat at 9am, aiming for 20 :)

By the way I'm still clueless as to water, gels, sweets & how to carry them for LSRs & for the DCM. I hate carrying anything.

I got one of these arm wallets a few weeks ago, and it's really handy. It will hold 3 gels in the main section (or phone, keys, watch when I'm running home from work), and there's a small zipper bit at the front for money etc. It fits snug against your arm without bouncing, and it has towelling at the back, so it's very comfortable. It won't carry water, but I keep a few euro in there so I can stop at a shop.

I have a waist pack too but it bounces all over the place and is very distracting. I could carry water with that, but I never bothered.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Ray, I know you are right, I just wanted someone to tell me!
    I'll be in the park so on Sat at 9am, aiming for 20 :)

By the way I'm still clueless as to water, gels, sweets & how to carry them for LSRs & for the DCM. I hate carrying anything.

I bought a belt with 2 x 8 oz bottles, then bought two universal pockets that hold 4 gels each to go onto it - It closes with velcro and I find it great!

I think the arm wallet thing would be best. I do have the circular bottle which I can carry if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

jcsmum wrote: »
    I think the arm wallet thing would be best. I do have the circular bottle which I can carry if needs be.

I have the same arm wallet as RayCun, picked it up in WheelWorx for about 20-25 euro iirc. Very handy thing, can fit (big set of) house keys and a gel in the main pocket, money in the front pocket and there's two bits of elastic which gels fit snuggly into on the side. Takes a little getting used to but would be lost without it now.

My plan is still for 20 on Sat morning with you guys, although that could change tomorrow evening. This week has been pretty tough, nice and easy in work but my body hasn't been feeling great - was aching and complaining after (only) 9.5 miles yesterday morning...

I ordered a nike arm wallet on ebay - €14 inc delivery. I know I won't have it for Saturday, I should have organised myself ages ago.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

This is how I carry gels: http://coachlevi.com/running/how-to-pin-energy-gels-to-your-running-shorts/

I just carry water bottle in my hand. Sometimes I have to carry 2 and leave 1 for a second lap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

If I find a babysitter for nacho jr I should be there at knockmaroon for the ling run on sat , for carrying stuff I use a spy belt , with holster elastic thing for gels and inhaler , just so you know sport drink and water stations on the marathon day should take care of fluids , u will need to carry gels though, mr slows belt is one of the most popular if u want to carry bottles though ,

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

nachoqueen wrote: »
    If I find a babysitter for nacho jr I should be there at knockmaroon for the ling run on sat , for carrying stuff I use a spy belt , with holster elastic thing for gels and inhaler , just so you know sport drink and water stations on the marathon day should take care of fluids , u will need to carry gels though, mr slows belt is one of the most popular if u want to carry bottles though ,

I'd like to join you guys on Sat morning if you don't mind. I've been following your sessions for last few weeks but this is the first one I look like being able to make.

Is Knockmaroon hill that we went up in the 5 mile i.e. the gate that we'll exit in the marathon course?

grimbergen wrote: »
    Is Knockmaroon hill that we went up in the 5 mile i.e. the gate that we'll exit in the marathon course?

No, it's further west, we didn't pass it in the 5 mile. Did you do the Great Ireland Run? We passed it in that race.

I'd like to join you guys on Sat morning if you don't mind.

The more the merrier, Knockmaroon Gate is here - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.35873,-6.356285&num=1&sll=53.355188,-6.343274&sspn=0.012781,0.038023&ie=UTF8&ll=53.359542,-6.35323&spn=0.01278,0.038023&z=15

9am!:D

I'm doing a lazy 14 around Tymon park instead. Good luck on the run, see some of you next week for the half...

Plan is to run from Knockmaroon onto Chesterfield where we'll follow the route for the half with the exception of the loops at Castleknock and down by the Zoo.

By the time we get to the end of Furze rd we'll have covered almost 14, my hope is to add a few more (Knee permitting) but we'll see how we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

ok, great. I'll be there all going well. I think I know the entrance. which car park do you normally use?

looking forward to it.

ok, great. I'll be there all going well. I think I know the entrance. which car park do you normally use?

looking forward to it.

There's normally space on the left as you come in the gate, if not turn right - plenty of parking beside the two small buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Guys,

The gel shots people keep referring to are these the energy boost things. Do they cause you to have an energy crash? Are they just for the pros?

• Advertisement

Danniboo wrote: »
    Guys,

The gel shots people keep referring to are these the energy boost things. Do they cause you to have an energy crash? Are they just for the pros?

Just fuel for the body in an easy to take medium.

Advertisement