Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

mrslow wrote: »
    Just fuel for the body in an easy to take medium.

Would you recommend them for a beginner like myself doing the Half next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

There's normally space on the left as you come in the gate, if not turn right - plenty of parking beside the two small buildings.

Cheers, appreciate that. See you at 9am bright eyed and bushy tailed!

I'm pretty much a beginner myself but find them helpful on the long runs, the golden rule is don't do anything new on race day that you haven't done in training. I use HIGH 5 Isogels without caffeine and find them very easy on the stomach and you don't need to take water with them (goes without saying you need to take water just not to dilute the gels internally if that makes sense)

Try some out in training at around the 50 min mark and see if they make a difference for you.

He he when I say beginner I mean i've only ran 2/3 miles consecutively. Doubt you're that bad;) But i'm gonna try increase that a little over the next week with training stopping on Thursday. I'll give them a shot tomorrow maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

I'm 50:50 for tomorrow. All week my right knee and ankle have been at me, but had been struggling through. Went out last night with a view of sticking to the grass to keep the pressure of it. Made it one mile and bang that was it,, ending up hobbling back to the car to get home and ice it.

Don't think it's anything that a bit of rest won't sort, and think it's the strain of last weeks 19 miles. Hopefully by cutting short last nights run, and a bit more icing tonight I should be right.

I'm going to jog down to the Chapelizod gate in the morning, and if it feels ok keep on going to meet you guys for 9, and if not turn back for home, and wallow in self pity for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Danniboo wrote: »
    Would you recommend them for a beginner like myself doing the Half next week?

Hi Danniboo,

As you're not running the distance non stop, I don't know if they'll help. They won't help you run farther than your fitness level allows, they just fuel your muscles. Trying them in training is always a good idea to avoid any stomach issues on race day.

I was accused of being a bit mean in replying to your last query on last Saturday's long run, I'm sorry if I was. I just though you had a mountain to climb in too short a time.

• Advertisement

I'm 50:50 for tomorrow. All week my right knee and ankle have been at me, but had been struggling through. Went out last night with a view of sticking to the grass to keep the pressure of it. Made it one mile and bang that was it,, ending up hobbling back to the car to get home and ice it.

Don't think it's anything that a bit of rest won't sort, and think it's the strain of last weeks 19 miles. Hopefully by cutting short last nights run, and a bit more icing tonight I should be right.

I'm going to jog down to the Chapelizod gate in the morning, and if it feels ok keep on going to meet you guys for 9, and if not turn back for home, and wallow in self pity for the day.

Sorry to hear that dude, I'm in the suck it and see category myself for tomorrow. Try putting deep heat on before you run, it might heat them up a bit quicker.

Hi Danniboo,

As you're not running the distance non stop, I don't know if they'll help. They won't help you run farther than your fitness level allows, they just fuel your muscles. Trying them in training is always a good idea to avoid any stomach issues on race day.

I was accused of being a bit mean in replying to your last query on last Saturday's long run, I'm sorry if I was. I just though you had a mountain to climb in too short a time.

Well 3/4 months ago I was overweight and hadn't done any proper exercise in about 2 years now i'm out walking 13 miles, running 2/3 and nearly 2 stone lighter so Watch This Space !!!:p No but on a serious note, that's cool seriously,you're right,it is a huge challenge alright but i'll finish it in some way or another :D It's for a good cause so that will keep me motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

damn no babysitter for saturday so im really going to miss the long run with you gys, im heading to wesport and am going to try and do 20 do there , :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

nachoqueen wrote: »
    damn no babysitter for saturday so im really going to miss the long run with you gys, im heading to wesport and am going to try and do 20 do there , :(

Are you just avoiding us so you don't have to share your nachos again? ;)

Danniboo wrote: »
    Well 3/4 months ago I was overweight and hadn't done any proper exercise in about 2 years now i'm out walking 13 miles, running 2/3 and nearly 2 stone lighter so Watch This Space !!!:p No but on a serious note, that's cool seriously,you're right,it is a huge challenge alright but i'll finish it in some way or another :D It's for a good cause so that will keep me motivated.

Fair play, I thought I was doing well. Good luck with the half and no doubt you'll be making an appearance on this thread next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Thanks guys....All went well, will have a letter of offer next week...This has been the longest trip of my life!!! It's 23.40 here, 07.40 back home and my flight is in 6 hours..Just finished work and got back to the hotel, thinking of skipping the 2 hour nap and just going up to the room to pack now and check-out....I feel like the Airport guy George Clooney played (without the amazing good looks I'll add before JEmily does)

Would i have said anything, little old me??? Ha. On a plus note i looooove a bit of George, he´s my ideal date. Yummy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Sorry to hear that dude, I'm in the suck it and see category myself for tomorrow.

I hope everyone is on the emd tomorrow, MrSlow i´ll be thinking of you at 9am, hoping my winger will be fine.

Everyone enjoy the LSR tomorrow, i´ve got 15 miles of pure heat and sweat here in Lanzarote, sound slike bliss but it´s too warm to be running (now i am jogging)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments

William72|4|32.2|177.6||
    The Wexican|4|37|210.5|Delighted to get 19 miles done on Saturday, great confidence booster|
    rofno1|4|21|203|Lazy LSR aborted due to the heavy rain on Saturday morning|
    boccy23|5|40|232||
    brophya2007|3|16|239.3|Missed the LSR|
    beamgirl|1|3|185| holidays and italian moutains and heat = 1 awful attempt, back to the grindstone this week |
    michellemuncher|4|27|181|LSR of 15.5m was really slow. Cycled 35m|
    RayCun|4|40|327.8|I'm claiming that as a 21.7 mile LSR yesterday, to get a nice round number for the week. Probably within a mile either side anyway|
    littlebug|4|32|272.2|found the last few miles of 16m lsr tough going but got there|
    meathcountysec|5|40.90|421.46|19.44 miles LSR. This thing might actually happen|
    DigiJem|1|4|236|No running for most of this week, surprised myself at how much I missed it|
    D Chief|4|36|227.8|Did 20 mile LSR. Tough going but got there and recovered ok.|
    digger2d2|4|38|309|Ahhh...20 mile LSR done, feel a bit worn out today|
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|4|45|283|20mile LSR wasn't the worst in the world and I managed to miss the rain yesterday|
    RallyRunner|4|32.5|241.5|Found the end of the LSR very tough. Felt like I was running on empty|
    corked|4|33.1|246.65| Dingle Half - 1hr 55min so happy enough... fantastic race and very well organised|
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|34|269|Delighted with my 17 mile LSR in just over 2:32. I felt I could have gone on but decided against it. I'm sore today though|
    RubyK|4|34.85|332.65|LSR of 17.6 miles. Struggled at mile 11 but felt good for the last couple of miles.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|5|35|151|Delighted with 19m LSR, still stiff today|
    Mrslow|4|32.9|154.55|Tough LSR of 16.9 but only because of IT Band|
    marrona|||264.17||
    Agent J|||139|One more week on the injured list|
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|3|30|c359|Missed one session due to work commitments but delighted to do the 19 mile LSR yesterday|
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5|48.2|409.7|Very happy to get in the 20 miler today. tired though|

Sorry for the delay in my up date.....been a busy boy the past few days.... was delighted with my dingle time.. back on form again.

This week v busy with work and family - hope to get in an 18miler!

up in dublin on sept 25th so will try to meet up with the group (im living in cork / limerick so could do with some support and faces on the day!).

Thanks for the video of the course - I dont see many hills - YAY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

.............Run with the pram girl!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Maybe that should be kept for marathon number 2... Seriously, it is an option for some people. But equally I've seen some kids who were less than happy to be pushed around while their parent was running, not always the ideal situation.

xebec wrote: »
    Maybe that should be kept for marathon number 2... Seriously, it is an option for some people. But equally I've seen some kids who were less than happy to be pushed around while their parent was running, not always the ideal situation.

During a recent lsr in the park we were somewhat negative about the pram pushers during the 10 mile race so I guess I should have added a :p....That said, it's a dream for baby nacho in the pram whilst mum is running as the crumbs are mana from heaven!

Guys you are gonna laugh your asses off but when i was chilled out momma on lovely jammy maternity leave, i ran with nacho jr in the pram in phoenix park, now unless you spend about 600 euro on a proper baby jogger , Running with a pram is ****E!
    1.My mothercare pram coudlnt handle the speed and the front wheel went bokoty.
    2. the gardai on the horses, you know the dossy ones in phoenix park, were laughing thier asses off
    3. everyone staras at ya
    4. workout bears no realationship biomechanically to running

Seriously lads, if you want to try it out :just get a tesco trolley put a 20 pound sack of spuds/ or a big bag of chessy nachos in it and try and do an 8 minute mile

Anyway , rant over
    Digger thats great about the job
    Mr slow lets all pray for " a healing " on the itb
    Jemily what i wouldnt give to be in lanzarote:cool:

Jemily what i wouldnt give to be in lanzarote:cool:

Yeah, me too....Especially when she's back in Kildare!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

18 mile lsr done - back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Smaller group this morning, 7 of us for most of it (although we did pick up a randomer for 4 or 5 miles). As always pleasant company and made life that much easier :) 20 miles done, longest LSR ever! Now, is it time to make the big decision and actually sign up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Now, is it time to make the big decision and actually sign up?

Well otherwise you're going to be back on here looking for number swaps, and that could be awkward :)

LSR went well...ish, 17.55 miles in 2:58 - had to take 2 walk breaks totalling 5/6 mins after 15.5 miles, If it wasn't for Rainbow Kirby my first walk break would have been at least a mile earlier - she kept chatting about the race etc - so Thank you.

The ligament across my knee is a little sore now but I supposed not a bad run all in all given my 3 year old decided last night was the night to get Daddy up three times.

Well done all on the l o n g LSR's today!!

Hi guys I ran for three hrs on my own , I really missed the group. I had van Morrison in stereo instead ! I forgot my gels so had 1 bottle of lucozade a a few haribo . No nachos . :(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Smaller group this morning, 7 of us for most of it (although we did pick up a randomer for 4 or 5 miles). As always pleasant company and made life that much easier :) 20 miles done, longest LSR ever! Now, is it time to make the big decision and actually sign up?

I was one of the magnificent 7 yesterday. Very enjoyable and delighted to get the 19 odd miles under the belt. First time out with this group, hopefully won't be the last.

Best of luck with the knee Mr slow

grimbergen wrote: »
    I was one of the magnificent 7 yesterday. Very enjoyable and delighted to get the 19 odd miles under the belt. First time out with this group, hopefully won't be the last.

Best of luck with the knee Mr slow

Thanks, see you at the half next week.

Re: Post Race Festivities

Am torn as to whether or not to hit Ryans afterwards - Who's going?
    It's Xebec's birthday and he did mention buying everyone a drink as we parted company on Saturday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I assume it was you lot I cycled past yesterday then. Sorry for being rude my mind was elsewhere and my phone kept ringing :rolleyes:. You seemed to be going at a good clip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

What are your plans for this week before the half on Saturday?

I'm thinking or running Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and resting then for the race?

What are your plans for this week before the half on Saturday?

I'm thinking or running Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and resting then for the race?

I'm gonna do Tue/Wed, drop Thurs and rest til Saturday in the vain hope of putting on a decent performance. I'll make up the mileage with a recovery run on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Re: Post Race Festivities

Am torn as to whether or not to hit Ryans afterwards - Who's going?
    It's Xebec's birthday and he did mention buying everyone a drink as we parted company on Saturday.

Everyone who is anyone around here is going to Ryans after the half :p

Hope to see some of you there.

Advertisement