Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

mrslow wrote: »
    Where are we meeting for this pre race photo? With 8,000 runners plus crowds there'll be standing room only in the park.

Most (all?) of us are running with either the 1.50 or the 2.00 pacers? We could congregate beside one set of pacers, or at the entrance to the second wave. It's not too crowded until they open up the road for people to start lining up, around 15 minutes (I think) before the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi all,

despite an annoying toothache managed my 16 mile lsr ok on Saturday. Mouth felt a bit swollen yesterday and woke up this morning with my jaw completly swollen. Off to the dentist to get checked out shortly. From looking on the net it could be some sort of infection and anti-biotics.

Have any of you been advised to stop training because of being on anti biotics before? Also with the half at the weekend the timing is far from ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Ah well, going by your training updates you are getting very similar results to myself, I was looking forward to bit of friendly competition :)

Best of luck anyway, I'm sure you'll do well.

It's a pity alright James Howlett, I would really love to be joining ye, but it's just too far for me to travel. Best of luck to you, hope you get a nice pb!

Not sure how I'll go on Sunday tbh. I'm going to miss the fact that there won't be pacers in Kilkenny - as I'm not the best at judging pace most of the time :o Ah well, just have to get on with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi all,

despite an annoying toothache managed my 16 mile lsr ok on Saturday. Mouth felt a bit swollen yesterday and woke up this morning with my jaw completly swollen. Off to the dentist to get checked out shortly. From looking on the net it could be some sort of infection and anti-biotics.

Have any of you been advised to stop training because of being on anti biotics before? Also with the half at the weekend the timing is far from ideal.

Poor you, but fair play for getting out for your 16 miler! Hope you get it cleared up without too much disruption to your training plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hi all,

I had an abcess on a tooth last year and the prescribed antibiotics made me groggy and I felt like I was behind glass for a week but I can't imagine they'd stop you training.

*My Opinion not medical advice*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments

William72|4|37.3|215.0|20 mile LSR! Done!|
    The Wexican| | |210.5| |
    rofno1| | |203| |
    boccy23| | |232||
    brophya2007| | |239.3| |
    beamgirl|4 | 31|216|16 miles in 2:40 was very difficult, not sure if this was related to large blisters on toes:eek:, hobbled to end |
    michellemuncher| | |181| |
    RayCun|4|32.3|360.1| stepback week before the half|
    littlebug|4 | 28|300.2| stepback week. enjoyed my 12 miler|
    meathcountysec| | |421.46| |
    DigiJem| ||236| |
    D Chief| | |227.8| |
    digger2d2| 4| 24|333|Not a great week for me with the u.s. trip but step-back week helped |
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett| | |283| |
    RallyRunner| | |241.5| |
    corked| | |246.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||269| |
    RubyK|5|44.10 |376.75|LSR of 21.10 - not the best of runs! Half on Sunday, which I'm looking foward to. I'm sick of training on my own :(|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily| | |151| |
    Mrslow|3|26.65|181.20|If I could run without a left knee, I would :) One session cut short and the other dropped due to injury|
    marrona|4|28.42|325.17|feeling sore in the legs the days after a run for the first time this week|
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| 4|32 |c371|Right knee starting to give me a bit of bother, might pay the physio a visit tomorrow night, Dday is getting very close |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5 |42.28 |451.98|Good week, got in an extra 20 miler |

Not running the Half but good luck to everyone doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 andyrew5000

Hi Everyone

I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks now, I'm running the DCM, as I'm doing all my training on my own so this has been really handy in making sure I'm on track. Ran 20.5 miles yesterday, it was pretty tough but never felt like giving up and felt like I could have kept going at the end of it.
    Anyway when I got in I drank loads, had the cold bath, ate some choclate etc but I have to say I feel like total crap today!!! Pains all over, headache, stomach feels rough, dizzy when I stand up, I'm lucky in that I have a job that lets me sit on my arse all day in front of a computer but can anyone recommend anthing that I could eat or drink today that might make me feel a bit better?

Hi Everyone

I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks now, I'm running the DCM, as I'm doing all my training on my own so this has been really handy in making sure I'm on track. Ran 20.5 miles yesterday, it was pretty tough but never felt like giving up and felt like I could have kept going at the end of it.
    Anyway when I got in I drank loads, had the cold bath, ate some choclate etc but I have to say I feel like total crap today!!! Pains all over, headache, stomach feels rough, dizzy when I stand up, I'm lucky in that I have a job that lets me sit on my arse all day in front of a computer but can anyone recommend anthing that I could eat or drink today that might make me feel a bit better?

My physio recommends the following.

2 teaspoon nesquik chocolate powder, 3 of powdered skimmed milk and 500ml of water, it tastes fine and is as good if not better than the 'recovery drinks' on the market. It has 4:1 Carbs to Protein.
    I'm tired from running, it's natural at this stage but you shouldn't be dizzy etc.

Give it a lash - it'll put hair on your vest!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

=Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments

The Wexican| | |210.5| |
    rofno1| | |203| |
    boccy23| | |232||
    brophya2007| | |239.3| |
    beamgirl|4 | 31|216|16 miles in 2:40 was very difficult, not sure if this was related to large blisters on toes:eek:, hobbled to end |
    michellemuncher|3 |29|210|I didn't start my running week till Thursday so only did my lsr on Sunday evening, but very happy with it. 17.75m in 3:12. |
    DigiJem| ||236| |
    D Chief| | |227.8| |
    digger2d2| 4| 24|333|Not a great week for me with the u.s. trip but step-back week helped |
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett| | |283| |
    RallyRunner| | |241.5| |
    corked| | |246.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||269| |
    RubyK|5|44.10 |376.75|LSR of 21.10 - not the best of runs! Half on Sunday, which I'm looking foward to. I'm sick of training on my own :(|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily| | |151| |
    Mrslow|3|26.65|181.20|If I could run without a left knee, I would :) One session cut short and the other dropped due to injury|
    marrona|4|28.42|325.17|feeling sore in the legs the days after a run for the first time this week|
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| 4|32 |c371|Right knee starting to give me a bit of bother, might pay the physio a visit tomorrow night, Dday is getting very close |
    tivvo|||||

On my lsr, I drank two bottles of water and could have drunk another. Eating food and gels obviously requires a lot of water for digestion. My energy levels were quite low for the last 4 miles so still a lot to get right yet.

For this week, I plan on doing my usual Tuesday speed session, Wednesday I will probably get in a 4 mile run and then rest till the half on Saturday. I was in two minds about the half but I think I will race it. With the taper coming up soon it will be plenty of time to recover. The t-shirts are always nice and I was particularly impressed that they had x-small at the 10 miler, though it was still a bit too big for me!

Hi Everyone

Hi Andrew, those symptoms don't sound normal. The most important aspect of post long/hard runs, is to get into the body a good healthy meal. It needs to be complex carbs, like potatoes, pasta, rice. And also protein which repairs the body. I got hypoglycemia a few weeks ago because the carbs I was eating were simple ones like chocolate. So my blood sugar levels crashed. I felt dizzy and very low in energy. Alcohol I also learned, contributes to this. So always load up on the starches post runs.

I am not saying that lack of carbs is causing your symptoms, I'm not a doctor and don't know your background or what level of training you did before. But one question would be, have you worked up gradually to the 20.5 miler?

• Advertisement

Hi Andrew, those symptoms don't sound normal. The most important aspect of post long/hard runs, is to get into the body a good healthy meal. It needs to be complex carbs, like potatoes, pasta, rice. And also protein which repairs the body. I got hypoglycemia a few weeks ago because the carbs I was eating were simple ones like chocolate. So my blood sugar levels crashed. I felt dizzy and very low in energy. Alcohol I also learned, contributes to this. So always load up on the starches post runs.

I am not saying that lack of carbs is causing your symptoms, I'm not a doctor and don't know your background or what level of training you did before. But one question would be, have you worked up gradually to the 20.5 miler?

+1 on the above, the drink I'm putting forward is a 'quick fix' recovery post exercise, as personally I don't feel like eating for a while after a run but need something liquid to help with recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I had an abcess on a tooth last year and the prescribed antibiotics made me groggy and I felt like I was behind glass for a week but I can't imagine they'd stop you training.

*My Opinion not medical advice*

Thanks guys just back from the dentist. The nerve in the tooth has had it and a root canal is needed. Tried to do the first part of it today as this will heal quicker but could still feel the nerve after the anaesthetic. Have to get it started next week and am on 2 antibiotics for the next 5 days.

The only positive is that he said there should be no issue training away or running on Saturday.

Thanks guys just back from the dentist. The nerve in the tooth has had it and a root canal is needed. Tried to do the first part of it today as this will heal quicker but could still feel the nerve after the anaesthetic. Have to get it started next week and am on 2 antibiotics for the next 5 days.

The only positive is that he said there should be no issue training away or running on Saturday.

I had two root canals done simultaneously, it's nothing to be concerned about!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

+1 on the above, the drink I'm putting forward is a 'quick fix' recovery post exercise, as personally I don't feel like eating for a while after a run but need something liquid to help with recovery.

you should try eating immediately after your run - have some fruit or cereal bars in the car for as soon as you stop, washed down with chocolate milk. Apparently your stomach will basically shut down about 15 minutes after you stop exercising, which is why you lose your appetite, but try to get some food in before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

The Wexican| | |210.5| |
    rofno1| | |203| |
    boccy23| | |232||
    brophya2007| | |239.3| |
    michellemuncher|3 |29|210|I didn't start my running week till Thursday so only did my lsr on Sunday evening, but very happy with it. 17.75m in 3:12. |
    DigiJem|3|12.8|248.8|Another week of slow short runs :(|
    D Chief| | |227.8| |
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett| | |283| |
    RallyRunner| | |241.5| |
    corked| | |246.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||269| |
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily| | |151| |
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    tivvo|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

The Wexican| | |210.5| |
    rofno1| | |203| |
    boccy23| | |232||
    brophya2007| | |239.3| |
    meathcountysec|4|28.20|449.67| stepback week in preparation for Bohermeen 5 Mile. 11.69 LSR mid-week. 48:12 PB ;-) |
    D Chief| | |227.8| |
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett| | |283| |
    RallyRunner| | |241.5| |
    corked| | |246.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||269| |
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily| | |151| |
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    tivvo|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

The Wexican| | |210.5| |
    rofno1| | |203| |
    boccy23| | |232||
    brophya2007| 4|35 |274.3| 18 miles lsr done in about 3 hours, only 6 weeks to DCM :eek:|
    meathcountysec|4|28.20|449.67| stepback week in preparation for Bohermeen 5 Mile. 11.69 LSR mid-week. 48:12 PB ;-) |
    D Chief| | |227.8| |
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett| | |283| |
    RallyRunner| | |241.5| |
    corked| | |246.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||269| |
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily| | |151| |
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    tivvo|||||

Looking forward to the half this weekend. 6.35 train from Limerick booked. Could be interested for a few after in Ryans if others are going??

Looking forward to the half this weekend. 6.35 train from Limerick booked. Could be interested for a few after in Ryans if others are going??

I'm fighting the temptation to go, but I don't think I'm winning ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 inea

Hi all - looking for a bit of advice. I have registered for the Athlone 3/4 and planned on doing it as my 20 mile LSR. I see they have added pacers (3.30, 3.45, 4 hour marathon pace) - would it be a good idea to go with teh 4 hour pace group (I HOPE to do DCM in 3.59.59!) or would i be better off treating it as a slow run and going slower? 6 weeks to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I've slowly but surely developed a pain in my little toe on my right foot.... I've checked it, pushed, pulled, twisted etc. but I can't locate the exact point of the pain but it's definitely getting a bit worse each week. The rest of my foot is fine as is my other one....I've absolutely no sores or 'nacho-welts' etc.....I'm going to keep running and get it checked after the DCM (would be gutted if I was told to stop for a few weeks) so I'll deal with those consequences should they arise (amputation - gimpy foot to go with my running vest:eek:)....My question to the rest of you is, have any of you had similar problems?

• Advertisement

inea wrote: »
    Hi all - looking for a bit of advice. I have registered for the Athlone 3/4 and planned on doing it as my 20 mile LSR. I see they have added pacers (3.30, 3.45, 4 hour marathon pace) - would it be a good idea to go with teh 4 hour pace group (I HOPE to do DCM in 3.59.59!) or would i be better off treating it as a slow run and going slower? 6 weeks to go!

LSR should be about 90 secs slower than your PMP, take it easy and most of all slowly.;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I've slowly but surely developed a pain in my little toe on my right foot.... I've checked it, pushed, pulled, twisted etc. but I can't locate the exact point of the pain but it's definitely getting a bit worse each week. The rest of my foot is fine as is my other one....I've absolutely no sores or 'nacho-welts' etc.....I'm going to keep running and get it checked after the DCM (would be gutted if I was told to stop for a few weeks) so I'll deal with those consequences should they arise (amputation - gimpy foot to go with my running vest:eek:)....My question to the rest of you is, have any of you had similar problems?

Just chop it off, you can't let anything get in your way this close to DCM!:D

Sorry Digger I've nothing sensible to contribute on this one, you going to Ryan's on Saturday?

Edit: I did get pain once when dead skin on top of my toenail started digging into the skin on my toe:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

the toe beside my little toe was covered in blood after the Frank Duffy 10 mile and I couldnt discover cause or even source of blood! think runners a bit narrow and were turning little toe in. never happened again though. also had a blister at top of every single toe. i tend to ignore all foot weirdness til it eventually disappears...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

My plan is to run the first 10 at LSR pace or maybe a little quicker and then try and run the last 10 at PMP if I am able. Personally I don't think it would be good to run 20 miles at PMP 3 weeks before DCM, you would risk leaving all the hard training in Athlone

I never had pain in my toes but I've had blisters and my a couple of nails fell of! The problems went when I bought a new pair of runners half a size bigger than my usual size. I would recommend you get it checked by a physio, even if you ignore advice to stop running, they might be able to minimise the pain or further damage.

I never had pain in my toes but I've had blisters and my a couple of nails fell of! The problems went when I bought a new pair of runners half a size bigger than my usual size. I would recommend you get it checked by a physio, even if you ignore advice to stop running, they might be able to minimise the pain or further damage.

Strangely enough it seemed to be less obvious when I changed to my Lunarglides from my Mizunos but has gathered momentum yet again!

Just chop it off, you can't let anything get in your way this close to DCM!:D

Sorry Digger I've nothing sensible to contribute on this one, you going to Ryan's on Saturday?

And what about my toe???:p

No, won't be going to Ryans as I'll have the car but will have no such baggage after the DCM....

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

The Wexican| | |210.5| |
    rofno1| | |203| |
    boccy23| | |232||
    brophya2007| 4|35 |274.3| 18 miles lsr done in about 3 hours, only 6 weeks to DCM :eek:|
    D Chief| | |227.8| |
    Curl52|||361||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett| | |283| |
    RallyRunner| | |241.5| |
    corked|3 |27 |273.65|I knew this week was going to be tough with Work / Family commitments but got an 18miler in.... longest ive ever ran! Last 4 miles were a killer! |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||269| |
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily| | |151| |
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    tivvo|||||

Looking forward to the half this weekend. 6.35 train from Limerick booked. Could be interested for a few after in Ryans if others are going??[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

I'd nearly go with the pacer - you can always drop back a bit if the pressure too hard.

I did that last week at dingle half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Originally Posted by brophya2007 viewpost.gif
    I'm fighting the temptation to go, but I don't think I'm winning ;)

I wanna go, i sooo deserve a brandy and baileys...even i i don´t finish dog damn it i´m having one anyway:cool:

Advertisement