Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Question actually.... Good place to get a running belt? Got a cheap on but its not good.... Ran the 16 miler I did with no gels/iso drinks and only a small amt of water.

www.Irishfit.eu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

mrslow wrote: »
    You're on holidays swinging out of some local waiter and lashing the mojito's out of it and we're all left here slogging in the rain and you think you deserve to go on the sauce?

I beg to differ young lady! I beg to differ.:mad:

I thought there was something strange when she suggested we all put our keys together in a plastic bag in the Phoenix Park!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments

William72|4|37.3|215.0|20 mile LSR! Done!|
    The Wexican| | |210.5| |
    rofno1| 4|35 |238|16 mls LSR +2 mile walk back to car! |
    boccy23|3 |30 |262|Only 3 sessions this week due to a back twinge. Then my ITB injury came back during the LSR. Had to give up after (only)16 miles.|
    brophya2007| 4|35 |274.3| 18 miles lsr done in about 3 hours, only 6 weeks to DCM :eek:|
    beamgirl|4 | 31|216|16 miles in 2:40 was very difficult, not sure if this was related to large blisters on toes:eek:, hobbled to end |
    michellemuncher|3 |29|210|I didn't start my running week till Thursday so only did my lsr on Sunday evening, but very happy with it. 17.75m in 3:12. |
    RayCun|4|32.3|360.1| stepback week before the half|
    littlebug|4 | 28|300.2| stepback week. enjoyed my 12 miler|
    meathcountysec|4|28.20|449.67| stepback week in preparation for Bohermeen 5 Mile. 11.69 LSR mid-week. 48:12 PB ;-) |
    DigiJem|3|12.8|248.8|Another week of slow short runs :(|
    D Chief|3|26.2|254|Stepback week. Missed second short run. Did 13 mile on Saturday. Looking forward to the half marathon on Sat.|
    digger2d2| 4| 24|333|Not a great week for me with the u.s. trip but step-back week helped |
    Curl52|4|22|401|My second time doing 16miles as my LSR and it felt much better, knocked 5mins off aswell which I was delighted with. Looking forward to the half now on Saturday|
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|4|30|313|This is the second week in a row where I have missed a training session, not good|
    RallyRunner|4|35.5|277|Got 18 mile LSR done on Saturday morning. Last 3 miles were tough, but got it done.|
    corked|3 |27 |273.65|I knew this week was going to be tough with Work / Family commitments but got an 18miler in.... longest ive ever ran! Last 4 miles were a killer! |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|3 |24|283| I knew I was going to find it difficult to get four sessions in but I hadn't planned to struggle so much on my LSR. I couldn't do more than 13miles when I had planned for 18. To top it all off, the boss says I have to work next Saturday so the half marathon is looking unlikely. |
    RubyK|5|44.10 |376.75|LSR of 21.10 - not the best of runs! Half on Sunday, which I'm looking foward to. I'm sick of training on my own :(|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|6|32|182|Finding weak ankle is fighting hard to keep up, heat on hols is not a plus when training for a DCM, right toe also getting cramp - weird|
    Mrslow|3|26.65|181.20|If I could run without a left knee, I would :) One session cut short and the other dropped due to injury|
    marrona|4|28.42|325.17|feeling sore in the legs the days after a run for the first time this week|
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| 4|32 |c371|Right knee starting to give me a bit of bother, might pay the physio a visit tomorrow night, Dday is getting very close |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan|5 |42.28 |451.98|Good week, got in an extra 20 miler |
    Perkina3|2|24.5| c. 270?| Finally got back on track after a poor month with holidays, army training and 10 days being sick thrown in....2 runs... One of c. 8 miles in 58 mins and one of c. 16 miles sunday in approx 2 hours 15 mins.... Well pleased with the 16 miles given the last month and the fact I had be out (sober) the night before till 4 am. legs suffered though the last 2 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

The pacers in Kildare Half Marathon gave out pace wristbands. I got one just before the off and it was useful during the race. Not sure if the pacers this Saturday or on the big day at the end of October will have them, but if you want to print your own :
    http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/PaceBandCreator.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

D Chief wrote: »
    The pacers in Kildare Half Marathon gave out pace wristbands. I got one just before the off and it was useful during the race. Not sure if the pacers this Saturday or on the big day at the end of October will have them, but if you want to print your own :

Hadn't seen that Marathon Guide paceband before, very tidy compared to some others available. If you want to wear one don't rely on the pacers to have them for you. Cut it out and layer it with sellotape - the paper doesn't last 13/26 miles if it gets sweaty or rainy...

• Advertisement

D Chief wrote: »

That's handy, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Hey MrSlow, was that you I saw this evening in Phoenix Park on Chesterfield Avenue. Had my head down running into the wind and you had nearly passed me going the other way before I twigged it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

I think I have seen mentioned that they will have some pace bands but I am not sure how many, so would be best to make your own if you want one.

However last year each of the pacers in the 4:30 group had one (one of the pacers made), plus I think we each had a GPS watch and stopwatch.

If you don't have a watch when running there is an official race clock at half way but this based on the gun time and not when you cross the start line which can be a few minutes.

I suspect they are waiting until after the half marathon this Saturday before releasing more details about the marathon.

Hey MrSlow, was that you I saw this evening in Phoenix Park on Chesterfield Avenue. Had my head down running into the wind and you had nearly passed me going the other way before I twigged it.

It was indeed, you twigged before I did - how far into your run were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

You're on holidays swinging out of some local waiter and lashing the mojito's out of it and we're all left here slogging in the rain and you think you deserve to go on the sauce?

I beg to differ young lady! I beg to differ.:mad:

Em, i´ll differ you, i´ve never been so exhausted EVER running anywhere.Got in my 3 runs, last being at 8am this morning, 5 miler. It´s physically exhausting running over here, not nice, think i´m actuall tired of running over here. I hope it will stand to me when i get home. My legs are tired, my ankle not happy and now a sore right calf. Rest for me now until Sat. I hope i feel happy by then cause right now i´m grumpy and tired.On the plus i ate half a cow last night, yummy filet mignon, medium. Fab, it was worth the 9 miles beforhand, i think!

• Advertisement

JEmily wrote: »
    Em, i´ll differ you, i´ve never been so exhausted EVER running anywhere.Got in my 3 runs, last being at 8am this morning, 5 miler. It´s physically exhausting running over here, not nice, think i´m actuall tired of running over here. I hope it will stand to me when i get home. My legs are tired, my ankle not happy and now a sore right calf. Rest for me now until Sat. I hope i feel happy by then cause right now i´m grumpy and tired.On the plus i ate half a cow last night, yummy filet mignon, medium. Fab, it was worth the 9 miles beforhand, i think!

My heart bleeds for you, poor baba - fillet mignon, that's served for two you know;)

Sorry you're having pain but running in the heat definately makes a big difference when you get home to the driving rain and wind.

Are you home?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

On the plus i ate half a cow last night, yummy filet mignon, medium. Fab, it was worth the 9 miles beforhand, i think!
    Quality. Well earned :D

Quality. Well earned :D

I have my doubts......bet she was on the lash for the week:D

Btw, if anyone hasn't read this post already (from hot to trot after the Belfast 24-hour ultra), it's well worth a read. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

It was indeed, you twigged before I did - how far into your run were you?

I was about halfway through. Watching the lads taking chainsaws to some of the trees in the park was a nice distraction.

How did your own run go?

That's handy, thanks.

What do these do??? Do i need one?

I was about halfway through. Watching the lads taking chainsaws to some of the trees in the park was a nice distraction.

How did your own run go?

Pulled my calf muscle after 4 miles and my leg started working against me, ended up with knee/calf ankle pain by the time I got to 9. Spent yesterday bathed in deep heat and it's pretty much fine today.

We'll have to meet up for midweek sorta long runs, I've gotten used to running with people and running without is a bummer.

Are you home?

I'm home on Irish soil. Never been happier to be home to be honest. Right calf still tight, i'll stretch it out later again, i hope it's ok by tomorrow:(

I'm sooo nervous about tomorrow, just shows how new all of this is for us all or most of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I'm sooo nervous about tomorrow, just shows how new all of this is for us all or most of us...

I got some pretty good times in the 5 and 10 milers but I also find myself really nervous about tomorrow. Work has been crazy busy the past two weeks and I'm hoping it doesn't effect me tomorrow.

Anyway on a lighter note are people still up for a group shot tomorrow?
    I know RayCun & Mr. Slow briefly mentioned it earlier this week but I would like to suggest the back of the baggage tents at 9:20-9:30?
    How does that sound?
    This way we'll all still have time to stretch etc before it starts.
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A pace band is a strip of paper you put around your wrist. It has the mile splits you have to hit to reach your target time - for example, I've a 1.49.30 pace band and it says
    Mile 1 - 8.21
    Mile 2 - 16.42
    Mile 3 - 25.03

So you don't need to do any sums in your head as you run around - when you pass a mile marker, you look at your watch and your pace band and you can see immediately if you're ahead of or behind schedule.

• Advertisement

Anyway on a lighter note are people still up for a group shot tomorrow?
    I know RayCun & Mr. Slow briefly mentioned it earlier this week but I would like to suggest the back of the baggage tents at 9:20-9:30?

I don't know if I'll be there that early, tbh. how about meeting a little later, but closer to the start line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Just checked the map again, I had forgotten the start was different to the previous races.
    Fair enough your original plan it is.

In-between Waves 1 - 2 for 9:50?
    Right-hand side of the road (where miles 2-4 will be run)

Sound like a plan?

Just checked the map again, I had forgotten the start was different to the previous races.
    Fair enough your original plan it is.

In-between Waves 1 - 2 for 9:50?
    Right-hand side of the road (where miles 2-4 will be run)

Sound like a plan?

I'm thinking a post race photo might work - anyone else?

I'm thinking a post race photo might work - anyone else?

Before and After, or just after? (I don't mind either way.) We could congregate around the pacers at the end...

What a load of rubbish, you're flying it and by the time I come across the line behind you, you'll have had time to walk up and back to Castleknock to get a paper.:P

RayCun wrote: »
    Before and After, or just after? (I don't mind either way.) We could congregate around the pacers at the end...

I reckon after would be better as there'll be no time constraints and we'll all be pretty satisfied with ourselves, might make for a better photo?

Who's bringing a camera?

I reckon after would be better as there'll be no time constraints and we'll all be pretty satisfied with ourselves, might make for a better photo?

Who's bringing a camera?

Sounds like a good plan.

*dodges photos*

Who's bringing a camera?

Lol. When you suggested this originally I thought "fair play to him bringing a camera, I wonder what he's going to do with it during the race?"

I'm sure someone will have a phone, but the OFFICIAL KIRBY'S KRASH KART team photo might have to wait to expo day...
    ... which is only 5 weeks away

Lol. When you suggested this originally I thought "fair play to him bringing a camera, I wonder what he's going to do with it during the race?"

I'm sure someone will have a phone, but the OFFICIAL KIRBY'S KRASH KART team photo might have to wait to expo day...
    ... which is only 5 weeks away

Back up there a moment young man, it was Mr Howlet who suggested the photo originally.

I await your retraction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

A pace band is a strip of paper you put around your wrist. It has the mile splits you have to hit to reach your target time - for example, I've a 1.49.30 pace band and it says
    Mile 1 - 8.21
    Mile 2 - 16.42
    Mile 3 - 25.03

So you don't need to do any sums in your head as you run around - when you pass a mile marker, you look at your watch and your pace band and you can see immediately if you're ahead of or behind schedule.

In JEmily's case..

Mile 1 - A Baileys
    Mile 2 - A double Brandy
    Mile 3 - Another Baileys
    Mile 4 - A Venision steak, eaten live

Advertisement