Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

digger2d2 wrote: »
    In JEmily's case..

Mile 1 - A Baileys
    Mile 2 - A double Brandy
    Mile 3 - Another Baileys
    Mile 4 - A Venision steak, eaten live

I like the way she thinks :pac: Screw gels, there's STEAK to be had!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You're bound to be guilty of something mrslow, you should carry the camera as punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

My girlfriend was going to come along tomorrow but can't make it now so I'll just borrow a cheap small camera that'll do the job for us.

Post-Race it is so.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

My girlfriend was going to come along tomorrow but can't make it now so I'll just borrow a cheap small camera that'll do the job for us.

Post-Race it is so.....

Jaysus...I'll look like a cherry covered in salt!!!! And I'll be wearing my infamous vest! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

I like the way she thinks :pac: Screw gels, there's STEAK to be had!

I'm getting a very bad name on boards already...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

JEmily wrote: »
    I'm getting a very bad name on boards already...:rolleyes:

I wonder why?:rolleyes:

JEmily just PM'd there to insist the photo is taken post race, in fact as close to getting over the line as possible.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just a few words about the half tomorrow...

First of all - good luck to everyone!

Racing it will give you a good indicator of where your fitness is at now. That said, I'd advise you to stay away from the various pace calculators in terms of setting your marathon goals because a good half can leave you overly optimistic in terms of your marathon target.

The pacers are very useful to have - but if you feel you can run 1:35, 1:45 or 1:55 (etc) then don't feel tied to them. Run by feel and you will be fine.

It may be useful to treat tomorrow as a dress rehearsal for the marathon - wear what you plan on wearing, bring the gels that you plan on using etc, eat the breakfast you plan on eating on race day, and Bodyglide everywhere that you think may need it!

Last but not least, get thee to Ryans afterwards! :D

RayCun wrote: »
    You're bound to be guilty of something mrslow, you should carry the camera as punishment

If I am I ain't talkin!

A few quotes to ponder tomorrow morning ;)

"The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong. You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed." Jacqueline Gareau

"The gun goes off and everything changes... the world changes... and nothing else really matters." Patti Sue Plummer

Good Luck to you all.

mrslow wrote: »
    A few quotes to ponder tomorrow morning ;)

"Hey... That Runner behind you says he's faster than you..."
    -James Howlett

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Guys I'll throw a spanner in the works here for the photo. I'll be down to have a look at the start of the race. If you want I can bring my camera and take a few photos of you at the start??

Would offer to take them afterwards but have an appointment with the torture chamber (aka physio) after.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. Enjoy the half and the celebratory drinks afterwards.

that works for me.
    are you sure you don't mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

that works for me.
    are you sure you don't mind?

Yep it's no problem. As I say I'll be there to have a look anyway so might as well make myself useful :).

I'll aim to be around 2 hr pace group about 9:45 ish but I have MrSlow's num so will give him a call when I get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck everyone. Looking forward to the reports (and pics;)).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck tomorrow guys, be sure to come up and say hello, I'll be the one with the balloons. :D

shazkea wrote: »
    Yep it's no problem. As I say I'll be there to have a look anyway so might as well make myself useful :).

I'll aim to be around 2 hr pace group about 9:45 ish but I have MrSlow's num so will give him a call when I get there.

Don't forget for posterity JEmily has insisted on as many gritty photos of her as possible, puking or spitting win top marks. :D:D:D

Don't forget for posterity JEmily has insisted on as many gritty photos of her as possible, puking or spitting win top marks. :D:D:D

Smell of Baileys off either!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Best of luck to everyone today.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

Delighted to have beaten my target of 2 hours for the half marathon. By my timing I did 1:57:57. Stuck to the plan of sticking close by the 2 hr pacers and was able to push on a wee bit in the last 2 miles or so.
    That's one of my 2 goals achieved. The other one is to finish the marathon still running ok. Not too bothered about time but just want to be still going ok through the finish.
    Hope eveyone else had a good day. Didn't get to meet up with anyone as I only arrived at the start area at 10 to 10. I live close to the park and cycled down.

digger in his manky vest did it today in 1:45:18....Delighted with that, PB from last year by nearly 8 minutes, ran 7:59 min per mile average according to my Garmin and felt pretty good most of the way.....How did the rest of you get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

Delighted to have that over with...roll on the big one now!

Hung on to the 2:00 pacers til 12 miles where I suddenly got a bit of energy and finished in 1:58:30, a new PB, which I'm thrilled with and wasnt expecting at all. Had been dreading the hills but didnt find them too bad, prob as too distracted trying to keep up with pacers.

Howareya folks,

After my suggesting we meet for a pre-race photo I then go and arrive late:o
    My apologies to everyone for that, I had to join the q for the jacks pre-race so that took some time. In the end I had time to see RayCun & Rainbow Kirby but then quickly went to join my pace group.

My chip time is in: 1:29:53
    Cannot believe it!

I had absolutely no energy for the last mile but the 1:30 pacers were fantastic.
    They were screaming encouragement for the final mile and I am certain that if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have a Sub-90 Half-Marathon. I'm very grateful for all their help.:)

1.48.34 for me, well happy with that. Didn't get the group photo - Expo day, to be followed by pasta lunch - but I did get to meet a few people before and after the race. Hope it went as well for all of you.

oh, almost forgot, was talking to michellemuncher in Ryan's afterwards, here's the link for the paceband site.
    Found mine really handy today - I got separated from the pacers, and didn't have my Garmin, but every mile I could check my watch, check the band and see if I was up or down on my time. (Really, how far down I was because it took me ages to make up the time from my slow first mile) It's much, much easier to look and two numbers and see which is bigger than to try calculating "it took me this long to run 4 miles, and the race is 13.1, so ...'

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Absolutely delighted with that. Was tough at mile 11 but managed to get over it and put in my fastest mile for the last one.

Chip time 1:58:47

Thanks a million to the Sub 2 pacers, sorry didn't catch ye in Ryans after but definitely session time after the full.

Hey Y'all, suffered a bit with knee and ankle after the Kyber (mile 8) but kept a pretty good pace to come in at 1 hr 53 : 20 in 2739th place.:D

How in the name of Jaysus am I gonna run twice that in a month????

By the by my Garmin had the course at 13.22? anyone concur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Happy with the run today. Finished in 1:57. Followed Menoscemo and Racoon Queen until the top of Khyber, and pushed on from there.
    Thanks to the guys for pacing.

Good to meet some of ye after the race. Pity I couldn't head down to Ryans.

By the by my Garmin had the course at 13.22? anyone concur?

Good time Dude.....Yeah, Mine measured 13.2 but I guess you're never going to be able to run the tightest line available...I think it's pretty clear with the finishing times that the training is making a substantial difference and I guess it wasn't an easy course with the relevant hills and tight paths/turns!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Good time Dude.....Yeah, Mine measured 13.2 but I guess you're never going to be able to run the tightest line available...I think it's pretty clear with the finishing times that the training is making a substantial difference and I guess it wasn't an easy course with the relevant hills and tight paths/turns!

Well done guys, fantastic times. Back to the grind now and see ya'll next Saturday morning for your LSR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

Finished in 1:59:25 so very hapy with that. Stuck religously to the pacers (extreme thanks to both) but couldn't push on past them. But seriously happy to break 2 hours for my first half.

Advertisement