Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

1:57 for me today, absolutely delighted with that for a number of reasons 1) pb by over 90 seconds 2) previous half I had trained specifically for, this one was just part of training for the big one and 3) course was much tougher than Kildare in may. Found miles 8 and 11 particularly tough but luckily I had some time in the bag at that stage... really enjoyed this race series, and particularly today cos it was tough - will miss race day in the park now - ah well roll on Oct!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

I did the race in 1hr 52 mins and absolutely thrilled with it. My expectations were much lower with my aim to do under 2 hrs. So it is a PB by 10 minutes since April and I treated myself to a pint in Ryans after. Pity the rest of ye couldn't make it but I met other boardsies and Ms Rainbow herself and treated her to a pint too. Thanks for looking after us newbies even though you are very busy :)

Oh, and well done to everyone else. James, are you really a novice?!! You are blowing us all out of the water with your super times :p

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Nachoqueen crossed theline in 1.52 ,jemily you scooted past me looking very strong at the end ,very crowded course with tightturns . Raycun great race , i couldn't catch u my friend you were too speedy , who is on for a 20 mile lsr this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

nachoqueen wrote: »
    Nachoqueen crossed theline in 1.52 ,jemily you scooted past me looking very strong at the end ,very crowded course with tightturns . Raycun great race , i couldn't catch u my friend you were too speedy , who is on for a 20 mile lsr this weekend

Great time nachoqueen....Just checked my training chart and I've a 12 miler next week followed by another 20 but I'd be keen to meet up with you guys again in the Park and run with you for 12......Is it just me or are all of you suffering with tired legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done to everyone, great running! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

James, are you really a novice?!! You are blowing us all out of the water with your super times :p

A Marathon Novice? Yes.

I have always enjoyed running as a hobby for a long time though, maybe twice a week but small distances. I did the Rahney 5-mile every year for about 4 years but back then my pb was 36minutes (I got 32:48 back in July) and I would never run longer distances than that.

My first big race was the 2009 10k Great Ireland Run which I finished in 44minutes40seconds. After that I got really busy with moving house and work so my running had been a bit all-over-the-gaff until May of this year.

When I discovered this thread I really wanted to follow it. Fair enough I'm not a running novice but going by what I've learned from this thread (which is a lot) it was certainly beneficial for me to be a part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to prove yourself, I was only joking. You are obviously a very talented runner and every one has different abilities, I know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to prove yourself, I was only joking. You are obviously a very talented runner and every one has different abilities, I know that.

Hey no worries I know you were joking :)
    I didn't write that out of any anger at all.
    To be honest I was wide awake and unable to sleep and I just wanted some thing to do so typing out a short bio filled up 5 minutes for me.
    It's all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

RayCun wrote: »
    oh, almost forgot, was talking to michellemuncher in Ryan's afterwards, here's the link for the paceband site.
    Found mine really handy today - I got separated from the pacers, and didn't have my Garmin, but every mile I could check my watch, check the band and see if I was up or down on my time. (Really, how far down I was because it took me ages to make up the time from my slow first mile) It's much, much easier to look and two numbers and see which is bigger than to try calculating "it took me this long to run 4 miles, and the race is 13.1, so ...'

This was the best piece of advice i got from you guys, i printed one out and used it the whole way, so handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Place overall 2361
    Name JEmily
    From Kildare
    Cat. FS
    Place in cat 211
    Chip time N/A
    Finish time 01:51:28

Why don't i have a chip time? And what time do i go by, chip or finish time?

Anyway, was really happy with my first half ever. Learnt alot as i've never in a race before. Wrist band was sooo handy. Found it hard to run with 3 guys, was great but found i had to try pace the race as they were doing too fast a mile at some stages, well too fast for me anyway.

It was such a nice atmosphere, very relaxed and friendly. I'd do it again next year if i'm able.

Got a nice white t-shirt to finish and chocolate, yum.

I met loads, who was the 2.00 pacer i met loads, sorry forgot your name? Thanks for pushing me up into the quicker group as i then found MrSlow. Also, my pacer MrSlow was with me most of the way, saw Nachoqueen towards the end, was nice to see a familiar face. Also met Rainbow Kirby briefly at start and Xebec. It was so nice to see familiar faces.

• Advertisement

I'd contact the organisers about the chip time if I was you, just in case there was some kind of issue. Looking at the HM support thread, looks like you're not the only one who had that problem. Great time anyway :)

Also noticed that the white t-shirts were completely gone by the time 1:55-2:00 finishers were coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done to everybody on the great times yesterday. Brilliant to see the progress everybody has made and training is def paying off. Hope you all enjoyed a few rehydrating bevvies afterwards :D

shazkea wrote: »
    Hope you all enjoyed a few rehydrating bevvies afterwards :D
    Nothing like the first Bulmers (pint bottle, with ice) after a race. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

Have to say the blue t-shirt was boring. :(
    Liked the purple one for the 10.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Have to say the blue t-shirt was boring. :(
    Liked the purple one for the 10.
    Have to disagree...Happy enough with the blue tech top...The purple was for the girls, Well, at least that's what my Daughter's tell me!

JEmily wrote: »
    Place overall 2361
    Name JEmily
    From Kildare
    Cat. FS
    Place in cat 211
    Chip time N/A
    Finish time 01:51:28

Why don't i have a chip time? And what time do i go by, chip or finish time?

Does it mean No Alcohol??....:D Nah, as RK said, check it out as others had the same problem....Either way it looks like you're on for a Sub 3:00 Marathon ;)

First of all, well done to everyone who raced this weekend, whether that was in the Phoenix Park yesterday or in Kilkenny today. Noticed plenty of great performances, you should all be very proud of yourselves - and I hope that it has given you a bit of a confidence boost and some food for thought in the final push towards the marathon. :)

Week 14
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|5 m|9 m|5 m|rest|14 m|cross

Stepback week, zeroing in on the final push now! 14 mile LSR - this should feel quite comfortable at this stage considering you've already done 15, 16 and 18. Weekday mileage stays the same, I'm not adding in any PMP work because I don't particularly want to put you under any more stress at this stage - but feel free to add a few miles at pace if you feel up to it. Given that many of you will be recovering this week from having raced the half, take it easy this week. Get the miles in, but don't push matters too much. We've still got a big week to come before taper.

Week 15
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|5 m|10 m|5 m|rest|20 m|cross

This is it... the longest week of the program. If you're still a week ahead at this stage, then congratulations! 40 miles this week - it's a tough week but once you've got through this you're golden. Take it slow on the 20 miler, this is about time on your feet rather than pushing the pace - and use it to practice your hydration and fuelling strategies for race day. Look after yourself this week too - if you need to sleep more, do it. If you need to eat more (good food, of course), do it. Give your body what it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

great day yesterday. Finished in 1.51. Clung on gamely to the 1.50 pacers for a good bit but lost them slightly on the khyber I reckon. Feeling more confident of sub-4 now in the big one so fingers crossed.

I'll definitely be on for LSR in the park next weekend, preferably around 20 miles if others are up for it. I'm away the following wknd unfortunately so next weekend is really my last long one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

grimbergen wrote: »
    great day yesterday. Finished in 1.51. Clung on gamely to the 1.50 pacers for a good bit but lost them slightly on the khyber I reckon. Feeling more confident of sub-4 now in the big one so fingers crossed.

I'll definitely be on for LSR in the park next weekend, preferably around 20 miles if others are up for it. I'm away the following wknd unfortunately so next weekend is really my last long one.

Well done, there's a few about for Saturday's run varying from 12 to 20 miles so you'll have company.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah, I'll be along for a 14 mile run. As usual I'll be running up so I'll meet you all along the way. If you all run from Knockmaroon gate up Ordnance Survey Road to Chesterfield, and run down Chesterfield towards the city, I'll meet you on one of those roads...

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'll be along for a 14 mile run. As usual I'll be running up so I'll meet you all along the way. If you all run from Knockmaroon gate up Ordnance Survey Road to Chesterfield, and run down Chesterfield towards the city, I'll meet you on one of those roads...

We'll run on the left side of Chesterfield (ie the zoo side) and pick you up along the way.;)

mrslow wrote: »
    We'll run on the left side of Chesterfield (ie the zoo side) and pick you up along the way.;)

Now I know I'm only looking for one blue knee

Now I know I'm only looking for one blue knee

Physio tonight so maybe not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Great running everyone, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

Hey all,

Completed the half on Saturday in a time of 1:46. This was the furthest that I have run but I was wondering do you think that the full in October is a stretch too far? I felt comfortable up to the 10/11 mile mark and it did seem to takes its toll from there, i dont know whether this was because of the hills or that I am not used to the distance but it is probably a combination of both. I finished strong (last 1K) and felt comfortable after the race too but when I think that the full contains another 13.1 miles I start laughing and tell myself its too far but in your opinions what would your verdict be?

Much appreciated

Honestly, if 13.1 miles is the longest you've done to date I wouldn't do the full next month. The vast majority of people who are training for DCM have done 18 miles so far as their longest training run and will be adding a 20-miler over the next couple of weeks. The step-up from running 13.1 miles as your longest ever run on Saturday to doing a run of that distance in the next couple of weeks and to doing 26.2 miles in 5 weeks time is a bit much really, and my main issue with it is that it poses a very high risk of injury.

It would be a good time though to start planning for a spring marathon - Connemara in April would be an excellent choice.

ShaneIRL wrote: »
    Hey all,

Completed the half on Saturday in a time of 1:46. This was the furthest that I have run but I was wondering do you think that the full in October is a stretch too far? I felt comfortable up to the 10/11 mile mark and it did seem to takes its toll from there, i dont know whether this was because of the hills or that I am not used to the distance but it is probably a combination of both. I finished strong (last 1K) and felt comfortable after the race too but when I think that the full contains another 13.1 miles I start laughing and tell myself its too far but in your opinions what would your verdict be?

Much appreciated

That's a great time, well done - but as Rainbow says training for the marathon involves lots of long runs gradually increasing in distance over a protracted period with the intention of minimising the injury risk and also teaching your body to burn fat (Thanks Ray)

You're obviously fit but will most likely really hurt yourself if you go for it. See you on the start line 2011;)

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments

William72|||215.0||
    The Wexican| | |210.5| |
    rofno1| | |238||
    boccy23| | |262||
    brophya2007| | |274.3| |
    beamgirl|||216| |
    michellemuncher| ||210||
    RayCun|4|31.4|391.5| enjoyed the half, I've a 5k at the end of the week so I'll get to see if I can run fast|
    littlebug| | |300.2| |
    meathcountysec|||449.67| |
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|||254||
    digger2d2| | |333||
    Curl52|||401||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||313||
    RallyRunner|||277||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||283| |
    RubyK|| |376.75||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||182||
    Mrslow|||181.20||
    marrona|||325.17||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| | |451.98| |
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

Five weeks from now we'll be wondering why the hell we signed up for this thing...

William72|||215.0||
    The Wexican| | |210.5| |
    rofno1| | |238||
    boccy23| | |262||
    brophya2007| | |274.3| |
    beamgirl|||216| |
    michellemuncher| ||210||
    RayCun|4|31.4|391.5| enjoyed the half, I've a 5k at the end of the week so I'll get to see if I can run fast|
    littlebug| | |300.2| |
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|||254||
    digger2d2| | |333||
    Curl52|||401||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||313||
    RallyRunner|||277||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||283| |
    RubyK|| |376.75||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||182||
    Mrslow|3|26.1|207.3|The half was great, can't wait for the big day now:D|
    marrona|||325.17||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| | |451.98| |
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

William72|||215.0||
    The Wexican| | |210.5| |
    rofno1| | |238||
    boccy23| | |262||
    brophya2007| | |274.3| |
    beamgirl|||216| |
    michellemuncher| ||210||
    littlebug| | |300.2| |
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|||254||
    digger2d2| | |333||
    Curl52|||401||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|||313||
    RallyRunner|||277||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||283| |
    RubyK|4|29.23 |405.98|Enjoyed the KK half. Bit of a boost to keep me going for the next 5 weeks :eek:|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||182||
    Mrslow|||181.20||
    marrona|||325.17||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| | |451.98| |
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

Advertisement