Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Comments
    William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher|2|8m|I cut back in preparation for the womens 10k tomorrow. Unfortunately I feel a bit sick today so not sure if I will be able to run at all. I didn't cut back on the cycling - 65 miles!|
    Dave_||||
    RayCun|4|24.5|half-marathon distance for my LSR! now for a rest week...|
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||

I never listen to music while I run, I like to experience fully the environment I am running through, though I love listening to music whilst cycling, which I wouldn't do unless it was safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher|2|8m|I cut back in preparation for the womens 10k tomorrow. Unfortunately I feel a bit sick today so not sure if I will be able to run at all. I didn't cut back on the cycling - 65 miles!|
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem|3|10|Ok week, no weekend long run because of mini marathon|
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||

Some dance and workout remixes on the faster runs, anything so long as it had a fast beat. Diana Krall, Nina Simone, Norah Jones & similar on the long slow runs...keeps me mellow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23|3|14 Miles|Tapered later in the week and did the Tri-Athy today - So another 5Km in there plus the swim and run! 1:30 for all so happy days. 27 mins for the 5Km as well.|
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||

No music for me. Rather try and listen to my breathing and the body! May try it for some of the LSRs though. On the longer runs it may be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

boccy23 wrote: »
    William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    boccy23|3|14 Miles|Tapered later in the week and did the Tri-Athy today - So another 5Km in there plus the swim and run! 1:30 for all so happy days. 27 mins for the 5Km as well.|
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    shazkea|2|7|Not a great week, back from the hiking holiday midweek and found it hard to get into running again. Hopefully the mini marathon tomorrow will give me some motivation again although I am not holding my breath for a good time in that crowd!|

I always listen to music on my runs but try not to on the few races I have done as its nice to get into the atmosphere and chat to some other runners.
    I would like to get away from depending on music during LSRs - any tips for taking your mind off the fact you are running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    littlebug|4|16|finally enjoying running again|
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea|2|7|Not a great week, back from the hiking holiday midweek and found it hard to get into running again. Hopefully the mini marathon tomorrow will give me some motivation again although I am not holding my breath for a good time in that crowd!|

I never listen to music. I tried once but it just got on my nerves. I prefer to listen to everything around me. Today I stopped mid-run to listen to a cuckoo... something I hadn't heard for years! :)

Oh and... trying to tell me something RK :D or is it an omen :( I added myself back in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl|3|15|6 x 2 and 3 x 1 still havnt gotten round to a LSR, 8 miles planned for tomorrow|
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea|2|7|Not a great week, back from the hiking holiday midweek and found it hard to get into running again. Hopefully the mini marathon tomorrow will give me some motivation again although I am not holding my breath for a good time in that crowd!|

I always used to listen to music while running, actually thought I couldnt run without it! but after reading a thread here tried running without it a few weeks ago and actually find I prefer it, havnt ran with music since.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl|3|15|6 x 2 and 3 x 1 still havnt gotten round to a LSR, 8 miles planned for tomorrow|
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    8ofSpades|2 + circuit|9.5|Amphibian King in Bray sorted me out with new runners. First time I ever got a proper pair of runners with gait analysis etc. What a difference they make. First time running where the knee felt perfect afterwards since the GIR! |
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||

I always listen to music while running.
    Current running top 10 in no particular order are:

- Fortunate Son by Creedance Clearwater Revival
    - I gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas
    - Pump It by Black Eyed Peas
    - Aint No Rest For The Wicked by Cage The Elephant
    - Kids by MGMT
    - Hey Ya by Outkast
    - Orange Crush by REM
    - How Bizarre by OMC
    - Time Of Your Life by Green Day
    - Clocks by Coldplay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec|0|0|Got a drastic gastric bug that floored me for 3 days|
    8ofSpades|2 + circuit|9.5|Amphibian King in Bray sorted me out with new runners. First time I ever got a proper pair of runners with gait analysis etc. What a difference they make. First time running where the knee felt perfect afterwards since the GIR! |
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||

I listen to the radio on LSRs but only when doing them in an "off road" environment

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle|3|17|A good week generally but working nights ment it was 5 days inbetween runs |
    Dave_||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||

as for the music the odd days i leave it but i usualy have it with me
    nothing to listin to but cars passing me where i run

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|3|17|Another nice 9 mile LSR at a 8:45 pace. Felt good doing it so 90 min target for Frank Duffy 10 mile is on!|
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    Dave_||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||

Never listen to music, have to listen for traffic on the back roads where I run. And I find it hard enough to keep a steady pace as it is!

On holidays from Wednesday for 10 days so only short runs until Monday 21st, when the training program starts! Incidently, I like the way it starts with a rest day...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dave_

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|3|17|Another nice 9 mile LSR at a 8:45 pace. Felt good doing it so 90 min target for Frank Duffy 10 mile is on!|
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    Dave_|1|3.1|Took a couple of days to recover after the half. Then didnt get out at the weekend at all so a paltry 3 miles complete. Will get back on track this week|
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 la calera

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    Dave_|1|3.1|Took a couple of days to recover after the half. Then didnt get out at the weekend at all so a paltry 3 miles complete. Will get back on track this week|
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera|1|5| Ok, have started which is half the battle. Nice handy jog yesterday, foot a little not 100% happy but rest of me could have gone around again.|
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    ULStudent||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    D Chief|4|16.5|I am in Mexico on work trip this week. Brought the runners. Did run at home on Tuesday, on treadmill in hotel Thursday evening, in park in Mexico City on Saturday and then did 3 miles in 40 degrees heat yesterday. Was tough going in that heat. Treadmill would have been better option but I wanted to see what it would be like.|
    curraghyid||||
    la calera|1|5| Ok, have started which is half the battle. Nice handy jog yesterday, foot a little not 100% happy but rest of me could have gone around again.|

I do almost always listen to music when I run. Listen to a mix of stuff, mostly my favourite music, 80s, Beatles, Springsteen, Irish rock, ballads and traditional and selection of other stuff. Sometimes though, especially if I am somewhere unfamiliar, I run without music.

I seem to have lost my ipod shuffle on this trip. I'm sure I packed it but when I unpacked there was my headphones and headphone adapter but no ipod shuffle attached. Unless I somehow mislaid it in the hour or so between my run on Tuesday night and packing, I fear it is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    D Chief|4|16.5|I am in Mexico on work trip this week. Brought the runners. Did run at home on Tuesday, on treadmill in hotel Thursday evening, in park in Mexico City on Saturday and then did 3 miles in 40 degrees heat yesterday. Was tough going in that heat. Treadmill would have been better option but I wanted to see what it would be like.|
    curraghyid||||

I removed myself seen as i have done Dublin before and looking to improve last years time.

Good luck to all in training - ill be popping in to see how everyone is getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007|3|11|Finding it hard to get motivated at the moment. Only 3 runs but got in a round of golf as well.|
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    curraghyid||||

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Hi there! Can I join the gang or is it too late?

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    Running for the past 2 years or so, not too seriously though, PBs are 10km:50 mins and half marathon:1hr:55

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Run 4 nights midweek, between 6/8/10km and a longer run over the weekend of about 12/13/14km
    I walk during my lunch hour as well but thats just to get out of the office!

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Not sure what time is even possible really, 4.5hrs??

How many days a week can you train?
    5 days a week

Why are you running this marathon?
    I would love to prove to myself that I am capable of completing the marathon. I only registered for it last week as I thought if I kept on putting it on the long finger that I might just talk myself out of it:) so DCM here I come!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome, of course it's not too late :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

I just started my official training schedule for DCM so looking to join in with you guys

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    Running for the past 3 years PB for 10km: 49.12 (just Monday at the Mini Marathon. Have done a good few 10ks but nothing longer

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?

No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    4 sessions a week, train with a club twice a week, one night for interval and the second longer distance at a race pace. Other two sessions do between 6 and 12km. Will be starting to increase millage soon.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

I'm thinking 4.15ish, will know closer to the time.

How many days a week can you train?

5 days a week

Why are you running this marathon?
    It's definitely a box that has to be ticked and I've been training consistently for the last couple of years so feel it has to be done. Plus my Dad has ran 25 marathons so he's my inspiration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I'm just curious about people's opinions on signing up for races during the training schedule (say 5kms or 10kms)? I have signed up for the Adidas race series but should I look at signing up for more to get race/run experience or stick to the training schedule as races would interfere with my LSR's?

Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was reading Bob Glover's Runners' Handbook, and he says you shouldn't race too often - no more than twice a month, and even that is not ideal. Racing is harder than running, and if you race too often you'll overstrain yourself and detract from training.

That said, I'm down for the three race series runs, plan to do the 6.5k at Jame's hospital next month, and every time a new, local race comes up I think, "ooh, I bet I could get a PB in that..."

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    I was reading Bob Glover's Runners' Handbook, and he says you shouldn't race too often - no more than twice a month, and even that is not ideal. Racing is harder than running, and if you race too often you'll overstrain yourself and detract from training.
    Honestly, I'd agree with this. While racing the shorter stuff is fun, it's not the main point of a marathon training program and can be a bit of a distraction. The race series is fine, maybe 1-2 other races (for me, that means the Pearl Izumi 10k in September because it's my local race) - but more than that and it will start to impact on the rest of your training and you may not hit your long runs as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was looking through some old threads and found two that might be interesting for other novices

Advice for marathon novices - what I wish I knew then!

Question regarding LSRs

So - how was your week? :)
    Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Comments
    William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    RayCun||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||

I'd also like to make a suggestion that you start thinking now about your clothes and shoes. If you have a pair of shoes that you're particularly comfortable in now, and have managed some decent LSRs in them - buy 2-3 pairs. Arnotts sale starts Wednesday @ 9am ;) You don't want to have to make a quick change of brand later on if your shoes are banjaxed the week of your 18 or 20-miler! Same thing goes if you've got t-shirts or shorts that you particularly like for your LSRs - get a few of them. Sometimes being a creature of habit is a good thing.

19 weeks to DCM now so we're getting close to the start of the actual program. If anybody's starting 1 week early, here's the first week of the plan.
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m run|3 m with 3*100m strides|3 m run|rest|cross|6

Nothing too difficult to get us started (15 miles), but we'll be building a long way from here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m run|3 m with 3*100m strides|3 m run|rest|cross|6

stupid question time....whats a stride??

I reckon I have an idea what it is and I'm sure I could google it but for the benefit or the other newbies i'll play dumbo

A stride is basically where you smoothly accelerate to race pace and then decelerate back to your normal easy pace. It's just a bit of a drill to get the legs used to a change of pace.

Article from Runner's World here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23|1|5|Took it easy this week after Triathlon. Rest week waiting for the proper training. :)|
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    RayCun||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||

Recently moved onto Nike Lunarglides from Asics. Very happy with them but I presume one new pair of runners will do for this season?

boccy23 wrote: »
    Recently moved onto Nike Lunarglides from Asics. Very happy with them but I presume one new pair of runners will do for this season?
    Depends how much mileage you get from a pair of shoes! You'll need at least one new pair anyway before DCM. I'd keep an eye out for your shoes in summer sales, the Lunarglide 2 is due in July so you may find a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23|1|5|Took it easy this week after Triathlon. Rest week waiting for the proper training. :)|
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher|2|11|I got a wee cold at the beginning of last week so could not do the women's mini marathon. I will probably do another 10k instead. Managed an 8m run today, felt great. Cycled 30 miles.|
    Dave_||||
    RayCun||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||

• Advertisement

Michelle - might I suggest the Dunshaughlin 10k on the 26th? It's relatively cheap (entry is €12), and is quite popular and well-run.

Advertisement