Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

sadiemac wrote: »
    Hi RayCun, I just have a light cereal or tea and toast before a long run. Then a litre of water before the run, one during it and one Maxifuel gel during the 16 miles. Do you think thats the problem, not enough grub?
    I have a Garmin watch and my pace hovers around 9.30.
    Thanks a million for any advice!

sadiemac, what's your target finish time for the Marathon? 9:30/mile is too fast unless you are looking sub 4:00 hours...You should also be consuming a gel for every hour of running as a rule of thumb. Also, the iced bath is a great idea if you can manage it otherwise shower your legs in cold water after the long run (hot bath not a good idea imo).

We've all had bad runs and moments and in general the legs could be getting a bit tired prior to the taper but to give you an example, I was wrecked after a 17 mile lsr a few weeks ago and went out the following week and felt much better doing a 20 mile lsr....Stick with the plan, adjust your slow runs depending on your target times (as per raycun's suggestion) get more sleep and consume a recovery drink when finished - check out mrslow's homemade hooch recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Stick with the plan, adjust your slow runs depending on your target times (as per raycun's suggestion) get more sleep and consume a recovery drink when finished - check out mrslow's homemade hooch recipe!
    ^ This

People with more milk-friendly stomachs than me have said good things about the Mars Refuel chocolate milk drink after long runs too, it's got a good blend of protein and carbs for recovery.

^ This

People with more milk-friendly stomachs than me have said good things about the Mars Refuel chocolate milk drink after long runs too, it's got a good blend of protein and carbs for recovery.

Sounds nice and tasty....I have 6 sachets of Goodness Shakes left and 5 of them are Banana :eek: Used all the chocky ones up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments

William72|||215.0||
    The Wexican|6|40 |250.5|Two weeks included here as I was away last week. Only managed 3 short runs. Didn't manage to pull myself out of the cot till after 10 most mornings, so tried running in the early evening but still found it way too hot. On the plus side knees, ankles etc seem well rested|
    rofno1| | |238||
    boccy23| | |262||
    brophya2007| | |274.3| |
    beamgirl|4|25|241|Half done in 1:58:30 new PB! |
    michellemuncher| ||210||
    RayCun|4|31.4|391.5| enjoyed the half, I've a 5k at the end of the week so I'll get to see if I can run fast|
    littlebug|4 | 36|300.2| successful 18 miler done and dusted:)|
    meathcountysec|3|26.94|476.60| 17 mile LSR|
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|||254||
    digger2d2|5 | 31|364|Very happy with 1:45:18 for the half and brimming with confidence now|
    Curl52|||401||
    ilovetorun |||267||Back from 2 week in the sun ;)
    James Howlett|3|29|342|Half-Marathon rocked|
    RallyRunner|4|32.1|309.1|Really happy with the half marathon. Now I'm over 300 miles for the plan |
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||283| |
    RubyK|4|29.23 |405.98|Enjoyed the KK half. Bit of a boost to keep me going for the next 5 weeks :eek:|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|9|31|213|Enjoyed the half, big learning curve, official chip time in now of 1:50, hamstring now tender - moved from calf hopefully rest will help|
    Mrslow|3|26.1|207.3|The half was great, can't wait for the big day nowbiggrin.gif|
    marrona|||325.17||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| 5|52.06 |504.04|Unintentional 22 mile LSR on Sunday. Looking forward to a step back week now |
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

Okay so it's safe to say that the training is paying off and I'm getting good results...
    Now if I could just work-out how to pose for the camera while running...

http://www.racepix.com/photo/5001365152/count/179/race/353/user/0/racetag/adidashalf2010/bib/0/page/9/racephoto.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

William72|||215.0||
    The Wexican|6|40 |250.5|Two weeks included here as I was away last week. Only managed 3 short runs. Didn't manage to pull myself out of the cot till after 10 most mornings, so tried running in the early evening but still found it way too hot. On the plus side knees, ankles etc seem well rested|
    rofno1| | |238||
    boccy23| | |262||
    brophya2007| | |274.3| |
    michellemuncher| ||210||
    RayCun|4|31.4|391.5| enjoyed the half, I've a 5k at the end of the week so I'll get to see if I can run fast|
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|||254||
    digger2d2|5 | 31|364|Very happy with 1:45:18 for the half and brimming with confidence now|
    Curl52|||401||
    RallyRunner|4|32.1|309.1|Really happy with the half marathon. Now I'm over 300 miles for the plan |
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||283| |
    RubyK|4|29.23 |405.98|Enjoyed the KK half. Bit of a boost to keep me going for the next 5 weeks :eek:|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|9|31|213|Enjoyed the half, big learning curve, official chip time in now of 1:50, hamstring now tender - moved from calf hopefully rest will help|
    Mrslow|3|26.1|207.3|The half was great, can't wait for the big day nowbiggrin.gif|
    marrona|4|35.31|360.48||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| 5|52.06 |504.04|Unintentional 22 mile LSR on Sunday. Looking forward to a step back week now |
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

William72|||215.0||
    rofno1| | |238||
    boccy23| 3|23 |285|Half done in 1:59:25. Absolutely fecking delighted. :D|
    brophya2007|4 |31.1 |305.4| Half marathon done in 1:58:47 |
    michellemuncher| ||210||
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|||254||
    Curl52|||401||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||283| |
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|4|35.31|360.48||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

I'm in a bit of a confused state after the half. Did it with the 2:00 pacer group and finished in 1:59:25 which was brilliant. So looking at McMillian Calculator, he says a revised full target would now be 4:12 ish.

I really enjoyed running with the pacers and found the whole thing flew by a lot faster (eek!) than I would have expected. But there is no 4:15 pacer group and I know I wouldn't be able to go with the 4:00 group and complete "comfortably".

Should I run with the 4:30 group and enjoy, or plan to do a 4:15 and try and pick up with some others on the day.

The problem here is that the pace for my LSRs has been 10 minute miles with a view to a 9 min mile for the full. But where I am at now, I feel that trying for a 9 min mile pace for 26 miles would result in carnage and certainly not enjoyment. But have my LSRs been too fast to revert to a 4:30 target?

Any advice, words of comfort would be appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

sadiemac wrote: »
    Hi RayCun, I just have a light cereal or tea and toast before a long run. Then a litre of water before the run, one during it and one Maxifuel gel during the 16 miles. Do you think thats the problem, not enough grub?
    I have a Garmin watch and my pace hovers around 9.30.
    Thanks a million for any advice!

Yeah, as the others said, you'd probably benefit from fueling more and slowing down.
    That could mean taking more gels on the run, or it could mean getting up earlier and having a more filling breakfast (porridge, muesli, bagels, bananas - some form of slow release carbs). That should leave you with more energy towards the end of your run, but you do have to be a bit cautious, because adding more food, before or during, can upset your stomach. Use the next couple of long runs to experiment a bit if you can.
    (And then eat to recover when you get in, eat as much as you can in the first 15/20 minutes after you finish your run, recovery drinks, fruit, carbs, carbs, carbs)

The other things is to slow down. Your long run should be easier than your marathon run. You're training your body to run for a long time, to burn fat instead of carbs, and just getting used to all the time on your feet. But your long run is just one run a week in your programme, you shouldn't be working so hard on this run that it hurts the rest of your training. So take it easy, run slower than your marathon pace, finish knowing that you could go on for another mile if you had to. Use another of your weekly runs to practice your marathon pace.

boccy23 wrote: »
    I'm in a bit of a confused state after the half. Did it with the 2:00 pacer group and finished in 1:59:25 which was brilliant.

How did you feel running with that group? Was that as fast as you could run? Did you think that 1.59 was as fast as you could have gone? Or did you have plenty left at mile 12?

RayCun wrote: »
    How did you feel running with that group? Was that as fast as you could run? Did you think that 1.59 was as fast as you could have gone? Or did you have plenty left at mile 12?

Ran with the pacers handily until the top of the Furry Glen and fell back slightly at that point. Finsihed about 20 seconds behind them. Had started behind them so hence the sub 2:00 pace.

Really and trully and in my heart of hearts, I know that this was a race pace and increasing it would not have been feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I'm in a bit of a confused state after the half. Did it with the 2:00 pacer group and finished in 1:59:25 which was brilliant. So looking at McMillian Calculator, he says a revised full target would now be 4:12 ish.

I really enjoyed running with the pacers and found the whole thing flew by a lot faster (eek!) than I would have expected. But there is no 4:15 pacer group and I know I wouldn't be able to go with the 4:00 group and complete "comfortably".

Should I run with the 4:30 group and enjoy, or plan to do a 4:15 and try and pick up with some others on the day.

The problem here is that the pace for my LSRs has been 10 minute miles with a view to a 9 min mile for the full. But where I am at now, I feel that trying for a 9 min mile pace for 26 miles would result in carnage and certainly not enjoyment. But have my LSRs been too fast to revert to a 4:30 target?

Good result on Sat!

I'll be one of the 4.30 pacers, so you'll be more than welcome, but I think you would be OK starting out ahead of the 4:30 group and if things start to slow down for you, you have the psychological benefit of the 4.30 group coming up behind you, to drag you along (if you need it) towards the later stages.

Izoard wrote: »
    Good result on Sat!

I'll be one of the 4.30 pacers, so you'll be more than welcome, but I think you would be OK starting out ahead of the 4:30 group and if things start to slow down for you, you have the psychological benefit of the 4.30 group coming up behind you, to drag you along (if you need it) towards the later stages.

Yeah. That's not a bad idea. It also might work in trying to keep ahead of you guys. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sadiemac

Thanks digger2d2 and Rainbow Kirby, I was hoping to finish under 5 hours so, I'll slow down on the long runs, fuel up more and hit the ice when I'm finished, then I'll wash it all down with a mars chocolate refuel....... and there I was, havin' a hot bath, wolfin' down the sauvignon blanc after the long runs (throughly deserved me thinks) no wonder the legs weren't recovering...... Will let you know how it goes!!

RayCun, sorry, just spotted your reply, thanks for the advice, I'll put it all to the test on the long one this weekend. So peed off I didn't spot this forum earlier in the training...... Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Izoard wrote: »
    Good result on Sat!

Yeah. That's not a bad idea. It also might work in trying to keep ahead of you guys. :D

It's really a personal decision. Are you doing this as a time goal or is finishing the race more important? I ran slowly in Dublin last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, just remember that you only have one first marathon and there'll (hopefully) be lots of chances to go chasing records afterwards. Based on my experience I'd be inclined to go with the 4:30 group and kick on after 20 miles if you're feeling strong, especially if you enjoyed running with the pacers on Sat.

xebec wrote: »
    It's really a personal decision. Are you doing this as a time goal or is finishing the race more important? I ran slowly in Dublin last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, just remember that you only have one first marathon and there'll (hopefully) be lots of chances to go chasing records afterwards. Based on my experience I'd be inclined to go with the 4:30 group and kick on after 20 miles if you're feeling strong, especially if you enjoyed running with the pacers on Sat.

Cheers Xebec. This was in my thinking since Saturday. I enjoyed the race but was well tired at the end. Multiplying that by two and then thinking of potentially struggling to finish and not enjoying it would prove a huge anticlimax to the whole experience.

A finishing time is definitely not top of the list. Finishing in a reasonable time while still having a good day is of primary importance. For this reason, I do think that setting of with the 4:30 group on a suck-it-and-see basis would be ideal.

But then does the fact that my LSRs up to the 18 miles so far have been at 10:00 to 10:15 have any impact on this potential resetting of my goals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

But then does the fact that my LSRs up to the 18 miles so far have been at 10:00 to 10:15 have any impact on this potential resetting of my goals?

Not at all really.
    Glad to hear you had a good time running with us pacers. I was babbling along all the way but hoping I wasn't boring anyone to death. We had a great little group.
    FWIW if you struggled coming out of the furry Glen on Saturday then (being brutally honest) you will definately not enjoy it if you go out with the 4hr pacers and try to hold on.
    As Xebec suggests you have two choices: go out with the 4:30 pacers and enjoy yourself or push on alone and try to get in 10-15 minutes earlier than that. Would running 10-15 minutes faster be worth it? Or would you be happy to get 4:30 and have a good day? That's your decision in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Wouldn't make much difference IMO. Maybe ease off a little more for your last long runs, but being able to do that pace in long runs is fine... Biggest thing about the LSRs is that they prepare you for spending so long on your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

xebec wrote: »

+1. Ultimately, it comes down to how you are wired.

Remember the pace groups will be running at even splits, which may not suit all individuals who would hope to hit the pacer target time.

For example, on a (very) good day, I would hope to get close to 3.30, but my natural splits would be in the range of 1.40~1.43 & 1.48~1.51.

I would say to aim for 4:15-4:30. 4:15 is about 9.45/mile pace, which would sound ok if you've been doing your LSRs at about 10 min/mile pace.

Please do bear in mind though that times predicted by the calculators can be very optimistic for novice marathoners - while some people will get close, it's best to be a little conservative with your goal-setting for the first marathon because you also want to have the best possible experience without blowing up at mile 18-20.

Also - a bit of anecdotal evidence. I did the half in a similar time to you last year (1:58:55) and did the full in 4:24:56 with half splits of just under 2:12 and just over 2:13. LSRs were done at 10.30-11 min/mile average pace.

Well Hal Higdon suggests LSR's of anywhere between 45 and 90 seconds slower than your PMP so I wouldn't let that unduly influence you...

BUT.....McMillan now predicts a Marathon time for me of 3:42 and if I'm choosing whether to ensure I finish in one piece at 3:59 or wreck myself on my first Marathon trying to hit the 3:42 I'll be choosing the 3:59....

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Not at all really.
    Glad to hear you had a good time running with us pacers. I was babbling along all the way but hoping I wasn't boring anyone to death. We had a great little group.
    FWIW if you struggled coming out of the furry Glen on Saturday then (being brutally honest) you will definately not enjoy it if you go out with the 4hr pacers and try to hold on.
    As Xebec suggests you have two choices: go out with the 4:30 pacers and enjoy yourself or push on alone and try to get in 10-15 minutes earlier than that. Would running 10-15 minutes faster be worth it? Or would you be happy to get 4:30 and have a good day? That's your decision in a nutshell.

Thanks for Saturday Menoscemo. The constant babbling as you call it really did help the miles fly by.

But you are right. This is the decision. If the training to this point has not been too fast and the body is used to this fat burning element as required, then I think the 4:30 pacer group would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Mr not so slow I'm around for a mid week run ,park or southside me . Would b great if a few people were on for it . Imwrecked after the half , legs of lead today

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Oops meant to say park or the southside suits me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Hi guys,

Hope everyone had a good day Saturday. Does anyone know how many people actually ran it, it says 8000 entrants, but there was only results given yesterday for just over 5700.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Okay so it's safe to say that the training is paying off and I'm getting good results...

That was a savage run you put in James Howlett :eek: Fantastic stuff, you must be over the moon! I presume you've readjusted your DCM goal - what will you be aiming for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

William72|||215.0||
    rofno1| 1| 13.1|251|Half marathon completed in 1:55:42. Happy enough but found it hard going for mile 7 to 10|
    boccy23| 3|23 |285|Half done in 1:59:25. Absolutely fecking delighted. :D|
    brophya2007|4 |31.1 |305.4| Half marathon done in 1:58:47 |
    michellemuncher| ||210||
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|||254||
    Curl52|||401||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||283| |
    The_Dazzler|||||
    marrona|4|35.31|360.48||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

OK, sorry for long post!

Just like Boccy, I'm looking for advice on targets! I'd usually happy run around 9-9.20 per mile in training but was hoping for 8.30/mile in half. Managed it until mile 7-8 when wheels came off and I hit the hills. Took me 3 miles to get back to a pace where I was happy. Last few miles were fine but hard going.

So, Sunday I was feeling ill and as day wore on a headcold developed. The last time I had a cold I found running a real struggle a few days beforehand so I think it affected my performance on Saturday as it was coming on!

TBH, I was hoping to be a bit quicker than 1.55 on the day but am delighted with time on first half ever!

So now, for full marathon, I'm rethinking my 4hr target, 4.10-15 would be realistic. Possible new plan is set off with 4.30 pacers and after 8-10 miles kick on (And it would be great to meet a few of you with the 4.30 pacers!!). What do you guys think?

Marathon

Name|PaceGroup?|Target|Actual
    RayCun|4.00|3:55|
    JEmily|4.00|3.59|
    MrSlow|4.00|3.59|
    NachoQueen|4.00|3.59|
    jcsmum|4.30|4.20|
    Meathcountysec|None frown.gif|5:00ish|
    littlebug|None |4:40ish|
    RubyK|4.00 |3.55|
    Boccy23|None |4.15|
    Michelle|None|4:20|
    D Chief|None|4:20|

Might be time to repost this...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Marathon

Name|PaceGroup?|Target|Actual
    RayCun|4.00|3:55|
    JEmily|4.00|3.59|
    MrSlow|4.15|4.15|
    NachoQueen|4.00|3.59|
    jcsmum|4.30|4.20|
    Meathcountysec|None frown.gif|5:00ish|
    littlebug|None |4:40ish|
    RubyK|4.00 |3.55|
    Boccy23|None |4.15|
    Michelle|None|4:20|
    D Chief|None|4:20|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I find myself in exactly the same position as yourself. I was going to run with the 4:30 pacers and then TRY and go it alone for the downhill/flat miles at the end. Now I'm thinking I might try and go with the 4:00 pacers and see how far I can go with them.
    Pity there aren't 4:15 pacers.
    Maybe I'll change my mind on the day..... who knows. It's a tough one though. :confused:

• Advertisement

rofno1 wrote: »
    So now, for full marathon, I'm rethinking my 4hr target, 4.10-15 would be realistic. Possible new plan is set off with 4.30 pacers and after 8-10 miles kick on (And it would be great to meet a few of you with the 4.30 pacers!!). What do you guys think?
    If you're aiming for 4:15, start at 4:15 pace (9.45/mile) - you don't have to stick with a pace group if you're aiming for an in-between target. From what you're saying, you should be ok at this pace. If you'd prefer to stay with a group though, see how you feel with the 4:30 pacers at the start and this will give you a *very* easy start (4:30 pace is 10.19/mile approximately).

I'm yet another one wishing for 4:15 pacers. :pac:

Advertisement