Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Marathon

Name|PaceGroup?|Target|Actual
    RayCun|4.00|3:55|
    JEmily|4.00|3.59|
    MrSlow|4.15|4.15|
    NachoQueen|4.00|3.59|
    jcsmum|4.30|4.20|
    Meathcountysec|None frown.gif|5:00ish|
    littlebug|None |4:40ish|
    RubyK|4.00|3.59|
    Boccy23|None |4.15|
    Michelle|None|4:20|
    D Chief|None|4:20|

I think I broke the table! Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm yet another one wishing for 4:15 pacers. :pac:

Well, if there's 4 or 5 of you planning 4.15...
    ... okay you wouldn't have the benefit of someone running at a steady pace that you can just follow, but you could keep each other honest, in the first half at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

If you're aiming for 4:15, start at 4:15 pace (9.45/mile) - you don't have to stick with a pace group if you're aiming for an in-between target. From what you're saying, you should be ok at this pace. If you'd prefer to stay with a group though, see how you feel with the 4:30 pacers at the start and this will give you a *very* easy start (4:30 pace is 10.19/mile approximately).

I'm yet another one wishing for 4:15 pacers. :pac:

Well, looking at marathon table above, there will be a few of us looking to finish in 4;15, maybe we should start our own pace group....?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

Marathon

JEmily|4.00|3.59|
    MrSlow|4.15|4.15|
    NachoQueen|4.00|3.59|
    jcsmum|4.30|4.20|
    RubyK|4.00|3.59|
    Boccy23|None |4.15|
    marrona|None|5:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

Marathon

JEmily|4.00|3.59|
    MrSlow|4.15|4.15|
    NachoQueen|4.00|3.59|
    jcsmum|4.30|4.20|
    RubyK|4.00|3.59|
    Boccy23|None |4.15|
    ROF|None|4:15|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

RubyK wrote: »
    That was a savage run you put in James Howlett :eek: Fantastic stuff, you must be over the moon! I presume you've readjusted your DCM goal - what will you be aiming for now?

Thanks.
    Savage is the word alright, I couldn't walk properly until monday... totally worth it though. I got lucky at about mile 6 as I started to pace myself with another chap who was gong slightly above my pace. Between Mile 6-11 groups started forming with people coming and going but he always stayed ahead of the pack so I just kept him as my pace-maker for that part of the race until I was rescued by the 1:30 pacers for the finish.

As for my goal mcmillian suggests I could do 3:10 but theres no chance in hell of that. 3:30 is what I honestly want and is what I am aiming for.

Congratulations on your new PB.
    A jump of 7 minutes is a great improvement, well done :)

Brilliant James Howlett, and I'm sure it was well worth the sore legs :D

You'll smash 3.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

mr not slow anymore and nachoqueen are doing this in the park if anyone is on for it

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments

William72|||215.0||
    The Wexican|6|40 |250.5|Two weeks included here as I was away last week. Only managed 3 short runs. Didn't manage to pull myself out of the cot till after 10 most mornings, so tried running in the early evening but still found it way too hot. On the plus side knees, ankles etc seem well rested|
    rofno1| 1| 13.1|251|Half marathon completed in 1:55:42. Happy enough but found it hard going for mile 7 to 10|
    boccy23| 3|23 |285|Half done in 1:59:25. Absolutely fecking delighted. :D|
    brophya2007|4 |31.1 |305.4| Half marathon done in 1:58:47 |
    beamgirl|4|25|241|Half done in 1:58:30 new PB! |
    michellemuncher| ||210||
    RayCun|4|31.4|391.5| enjoyed the half, I've a 5k at the end of the week so I'll get to see if I can run fast|
    littlebug|4 | 36|300.2| successful 18 miler done and dusted:)|
    meathcountysec|3|26.94|476.60| 17 mile LSR|
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|4|29|283|Half done in 1:57:55 (chip time 2 secs better than my watch!). Happy to have beaten 2hrs.|
    digger2d2|5 | 31|364|Very happy with 1:45:18 for the half and brimming with confidence now|
    Curl52|||401||
    ilovetorun |||267||Back from 2 week in the sun ;)
    James Howlett|3|29|342|Half-Marathon rocked|
    RallyRunner|4|32.1|309.1|Really happy with the half marathon. Now I'm over 300 miles for the plan |
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh| ||283| |
    RubyK|4|29.23 |405.98|Enjoyed the KK half. Bit of a boost to keep me going for the next 5 weeks :eek:|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|9|31|213|Enjoyed the half, big learning curve, official chip time in now of 1:50, hamstring now tender - moved from calf hopefully rest will help|
    Mrslow|3|26.1|207.3|The half was great, can't wait for the big day nowbiggrin.gif|
    marrona|4|35.31|360.48||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| 5|52.06 |504.04|Unintentional 22 mile LSR on Sunday. Looking forward to a step back week now |
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

Enjoyed the half marathon in the Park. Plan to do long runs (20 miles or so) this weekend and next. Then it's taper ...

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

rofno1 wrote: »
    Marathon

JEmily|4.00|3.59|
    MrSlow|4.15|4.15|
    NachoQueen|4.00|3.59|
    jcsmum|4.30|4.20|
    RubyK|4.00|3.59|
    Boccy23|None |4.15|
    ROF|None|4:15|

Has someone (mrslow) been messing with the table...i can't remember me having a different time to my pacer, please sort this asap before i get very :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Regarding what pace to go for on the big day, something to take into account is the following:

Do you want to finish the marathon after giving your all and doing a real good time while pushing yourself to the max and perhaps not really enjoying your marathon experience as you battle the pain

Or

Do you want to run a time that was your aim and that you now know you can do without suffering too much and enjoy the day both before, during and after the marathon.

For those doing your first marathon, remember its your first marathon. You will never get another chance to do a first marathon again, the world record should wait for the second or third marathon.

I'm no expert but its something people should consider before deciding on pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Is anyone else suffering from lsr induced stupidness? I mean doing silly things due to being quite tired :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

chinguetti wrote: »
    Regarding what pace to go for on the big day, something to take into account is the following:

Do you want to finish the marathon after giving your all and doing a real good time while pushing yourself to the max and perhaps not really enjoying your marathon experience as you battle the pain

Or

Do you want to run a time that was your aim and that you now know you can do without suffering too much and enjoy the day both before, during and after the marathon.

For those doing your first marathon, remember its your first marathon. You will never get another chance to do a first marathon again, the world record should wait for the second or third marathon.

I'm no expert but its something people should consider before deciding on pace.

I want it ALL! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

littlebug wrote: »
    Is anyone else suffering from lsr induced stupidness? I mean doing silly things due to being quite tired :D

Being blessed with natural stupidity I can't say I've noticed a huge difference:D I call to a customer recently and remarked on how her new choice of hair colour really suited her........she replied ' I'm just standing in for Claire' :( These things happen to me so often now I don't even get embarrassed.

JEmily wrote: »
    Has someone (mrslow) been messing with the table...i can't remember me having a different time to my pacer, please sort this asap before i get very :mad:

You big bully!

mrslow wrote: »
    You big bully!

Totally:P

So, no that we are in the final weeks, what are your plans for training? When will you do your last LSR?

JEmily wrote: »
    Totally:P

I'm in two minds boss.......

So, no that we are in the final weeks, what are your plans for training? When will you do your last LSR?

14 miles Saturday (and a 5k race Sunday)
    20 next Saturday
    then tapering -
    14 again
    8 (I think)
    marathon weekend

That's pretty much my plan too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    That's pretty much my plan too.

You doing Rathfarnham this weekend?

My wife is!!!

Still trying to decide myself whether I'll do it - would like to do 18 miles this weekend though and can't really fit in a 5k around that. It's a great race though - one of the better 5ks around.

Good luck to Mrs Slow in it too :)

Or should that be mrs low?

This week I have Monday: 3 miles, Tuesday:5 Wednesday: 5 pace Thursday: 5 Saturday:14 slow so I'm not going to be setting any world records on Sunday. But I haven't run a 5k since March, and I'm curious to see what it'll be like racing a short distance again.

Its a small enough field, we should find each other at registration easily enough...

Ray, I think you'll surprise yourself this weekend. This time last year Menoscemo raced this the day after doing a 20-miler and set quite a decent PB over the 5k distance, no reason why you can't do likewise. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ray, I think you'll surprise yourself this weekend. This time last year Menoscemo raced this the day after doing a 20-miler and set quite a decent PB over the 5k distance, no reason why you can't do likewise. :)

That's right. I broke 7 minute mile average for the first time, coming off a 1:48XX HM, just like yourself Ray ;)
    I'll most likely be racing it again on Sunday so see you there ray....

Good luck to Mrs Slow in it too :)

X2, but if she's anything like her husband no bother;)

RayCun wrote: »
    14 miles Saturday (and a 5k race Sunday)
    20 next Saturday
    then tapering -
    14 again
    8 (I think)
    marathon weekend

Pretty much the same for me in the coming weeks, although i'll be sticking to the plan pretty much from now on:
    15m lsr this week
    20/21m lsr next week :eek:
    12m lsr
    8m lsr
    Rest - Saturday of Marathon weekend

I am indeed! My first anniversary race! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I'm mixing it up a little...

25/09: 20 miles
    03/10: 15 miles Cork to Cobh
    09/10: still undecided but prob 20 miles
    16/10: 10-12 miles
    25/10: DCM

Going on the theory that I recover pretty well from the long runs, although the plan may change over the next few weeks...

Advertisement