Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 seamusm99

I haven't made my mind up, but since I'm not getting positive vibes here I'm doubting myself...That is why I'm consulting you guys to get a proper gauge; I will continue on with my training, but as you say enter something in 2011 might be the way to go; I will let you know if I stupidly decide to enter and do a seroius injury. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

William72 wrote: »
    So two questions to throw at you folks...
    1) does anyone know if its going to be on the telly - i think I remember Setanta doing something last year...? when and why did RTE stop showing it?
    2) Does anyone know if there'll be water bottles or those crappy cups? - I seem to remember somone saying it was bottles last year

thats 3 questions isn't it.... :)

Setanta did a very brief 1/2 hour or 1 hour highlights package if I remember correctly. Focused on the elite race only.

Water bottles for the marathon according to the website

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

Hi Seamus
    Im no expert, ive done 3 marathons , pb 3.41 nothing to write home about. first marathon i did i was rowing with college team so quite fit and did marathon training program aswell. guys on mens rowing team decided to do it ,, quite fit with no marathon base

Mile 16 , me comfortable, my friend was in the back of st johns ambulance with a torn knee ligament, and he was a superjock rowing dude

every year more men than women enter the marathon
    every year more men run faster
    but percentage wise more women finish
    because they ...RESPECT THE DISTANCE

which i dont think you do

Now as a said im no expert, but im expert in other fields so trust me honey !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Thought i should check in.

I feel like i want to update that distance to include my pre July running for the year. It looks much smaller now comparatively to everyone else :(

Anyway. Nod to MrSlow for his physio recommendation.
    Seeing him now regularly for treatment. Turns out that little small slip got me a sprained ankle & impact bruise. One or two other minor things havent helped.

While the marathon has not been 100% ruled out by the physio i can see him leaning in that direction. I've already accepted it as probability rather then possiblity. I havent been running in 3 weeks now.

Now this sucks. However if there is one thing which i have learned and followed. If you get injured, get it checked out asap. If it doesnt heal as expected, get it checked again. It sucks in the short term long term its is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Agent J, would you consider the marathon in Clonakilty in December, or possibly a spring marathon (Seville, Barcelona, Connemara etc)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Agent J, would you consider the marathon in Clonakilty in December, or possibly a spring marathon (Seville, Barcelona, Connemara etc)?

Oh the back up plan is the full Connemara in April.
    I did the half this year so it seems fitting.

There is a marathon in Clonakilty in Decmember? This is new information for me... *Wanders off to Run Ireland/Google*

Here's the site for the Clonakilty marathon. It's a new race this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

William72 wrote: »
    Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments

William72|1|13.1|228.1|Only run last week was the half|
    The Wexican|6|40 |250.5|Two weeks included here as I was away last week. Only managed 3 short runs. Didn't manage to pull myself out of the cot till after 10 most mornings, so tried running in the early evening but still found it way too hot. On the plus side knees, ankles etc seem well rested|
    rofno1| 1| 13.1|251|Half marathon completed in 1:55:42. Happy enough but found it hard going for mile 7 to 10|
    boccy23| 3|23 |285|Half done in 1:59:25. Absolutely fecking delighted. :D|
    brophya2007|4 |31.1 |305.4| Half marathon done in 1:58:47 |
    beamgirl|4|25|241|Half done in 1:58:30 new PB! |
    michellemuncher|3 |19|229|Very happy with my half 1.52|
    RayCun|4|31.4|391.5| enjoyed the half, I've a 5k at the end of the week so I'll get to see if I can run fast|
    littlebug|4 | 36|300.2| successful 18 miler done and dusted:)|
    meathcountysec|3|26.94|476.60| 17 mile LSR|
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|4|29|283|Half done in 1:57:55 (chip time 2 secs better than my watch!). Happy to have beaten 2hrs.|
    digger2d2|5 | 31|364|Very happy with 1:45:18 for the half and brimming with confidence now|
    Curl52|4|28|401|Half marathon in 1:45:50, was my first half so was delighted with the time. Felt comfortable throughout the race so that's given me confidence but def won't be able to keep up the same pace for the big one.On countdown now|
    ilovetorun |||267||Back from 2 week in the sun ;)
    James Howlett|3|29|342|Half-Marathon rocked|
    RallyRunner|4|32.1|309.1|Really happy with the half marathon. Now I'm over 300 miles for the plan |
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|33|316|I ran the half on Saturday in just over 1hr 45, setting new pbs for 10 miles and the half. Suffering a bit now for it |
    RubyK|4|29.23 |405.98|Enjoyed the KK half. Bit of a boost to keep me going for the next 5 weeks :eek:|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|9|31|213|Enjoyed the half, big learning curve, official chip time in now of 1:50, hamstring now tender - moved from calf hopefully rest will help|
    Mrslow|3|26.1|207.3|The half was great, can't wait for the big day nowbiggrin.gif|
    marrona|4|35.31|360.48||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| 5|52.06 |504.04|Unintentional 22 mile LSR on Sunday. Looking forward to a step back week now |
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Got my step-back LSR out of the way today but man I'm cream crackered now....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Is there a route planned for Saturday morning yet? Plan for me is 20 so gonna try to meet you guys and need to know where to stash my water bottle :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'm doing 20 too so have a 10.4 mile lap from Knocknamaroon back to the cars. Will add on the 9.6 tomorrow for a second, hopefully, different lap.

Others are doing 16 or so i think so will try and put 16 miles near the cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Going from 13 - 18/20 in one go is risky enough on it's own. You're just asking for a serious injury. Judging by your posts you've already made your mind up and it doesn't matter what we say.

However, 26.2 miles is a LONG way to travel on foot. Respect the distance, it is NOT easy, by any means. 99% of the people who will be taking part in the marathon will have been doing specific training for about 6 months, at least.

I did my first marathon with 5 months of random training where I didn't have a clue what I was doing, at any point. My longest pre-marathon run was 16 miles. I got lucky when I didn't pick up a serious injury(I still got injured, on 16 miles, funnily enough :rolleyes: ) and I already had a decent endurance base before I started running.

Don't do it. There must be around 10 marathons in Ireland now, do one in 2011 instead. It is just not worth the risk.

+ 1 million.

theres clonakilty marathon in cork 11th december - why not aim for that instead?

EDIT: never mind - RK got in there before me. thats what i get for not finishing reading the remaining posts !!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

xebec wrote: »
    Is there a route planned for Saturday morning yet? Plan for me is 20 so gonna try to meet you guys and need to know where to stash my water bottle :)

I'm hoping to meet you guys too again this Saturday for 15m. My sis coming too i hope! Depending on below as such now...

Update: Calf strain still an issue, Half Marathon last weekend didn't help it heal completely. Went out Tuesday for 5m and it still was tight and not right.

I've taken last night and next couple of days off the plan, cream and anti-inflam for next couple of days. If it's not right by Monday off to the physio to check. Feels bit better and looser today so hoping the rest will help. Although i miss running...feeling tad bit guilty already:( Am hoping it will pay off in the long run though!

Also, pics are now up on www.marathonfoto.com

Lastly, for anyone who thinks the half marathon (might be) is easy, my pics in my log, say it all, it's tough, and that's not even the full marathon...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hi all, I'm a non runner (pun intended) for Saturday, I have to run tomorrow night and go straight into a physio session to be tortured back to form. Enjoy, hopefully I'll get out on Sunday as I don't want to miss any mileage at this stage.

Photo below of JEmily and myself at the Half.

http://www.marathonfoto.com/view_watermark.cfm?CustomerNumber=296S36&NegsNumber=74294881&Orientation=P

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

mrslow wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm a non runner (pun intended) for Saturday, I have to run tomorrow night and go straight into a physio session to be tortured back to form. Enjoy, hopefully I'll get out on Sunday as I don't want to miss any mileage at this stage.

Photo below of JEmily and myself at the Half.

http://www.marathonfoto.com/view_watermark.cfm?CustomerNumber=296S36&NegsNumber=74294881&Orientation=P

Great picture - How did you get it to view like that?

ShaneIRL wrote: »
    Great picture - How did you get it to view like that?

Select the pic and enlarge, then double click the link in the browser window and you have it.

Where is everyone today?:(

Working? :pac:

Was actually wondering the same thing myself... it's awful quiet today!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭maggiemissy

Just getting myself geared up for my first 20 miles!!!!!!! and its just started to rain, lovely.

Ah you'll be grand, the rain will cool you off :)

• Advertisement

Myself and NachoQueen got soaked last night with 5 miles to go:D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭maggiemissy

at least i'll have all the cows/sheep/crazy dogs to keep me company en route!:D

at least i'll have all the cows/sheep/crazy dogs to keep me company en route!:D

Where would you be without them?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Thurs/Friday's in here pick up momentum and get busier and busier. Although as i'm injured i didn't want to read nice stories of people out running PB's and all that or i'll only start a02.gif

JEmily wrote: »
    Thurs/Friday's in here pick up momentum and get busier and busier. Although as i'm injured i didn't want to read nice stories of people out running PB's and all that or i'll only start a02.gif

You're not alone bud!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

I am here at home on my computer, I wish I wasn't! Unfortunately I have been sick and haven't run since the half and don't know when I can again. Even though I felt fine after Sat, it must have taken a lot out of me as my chest has a feeling of fatigue. I don't know if I should risk doing a long run at the weekend?

I am here at home on my computer, I wish I wasn't! Unfortunately I have been sick and haven't run since the half and don't know when I can again. Even though I felt fine after Sat, it must have taken a lot out of me as my chest has a feeling of fatigue. I don't know if I should risk doing a long run at the weekend?

Rest up between now and then (loads of Vit c and echinichea)and don't push yourself on the LSR on Saturday if it ain't working quit and try again when you feel well.

*Not medical advice*

I don't know if I should risk doing a long run at the weekend?
    If you're feeling crap today, I'd suggest you think about taking Sunday as your long run day. Might also be worth treating it as a stepback long run (Higdon suggests 14 miles at this stage) and taking it very easy. See how you feel at the weekend though, but racing the half *does* take quite a bit out of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 seamusm99

Folks,
    I went out and did 15 miles last night longest that I've run it took 2hr.21mins taking it easy enough as I didn't want to exert myself or do an injury. I don't feel too bad today. I'm going to try for 18 miles on Sunday at a relaxed pace again to see if I how I feel. Then when I get to Spain next Thursday do a few early morning runs over 4-5 days and see how I fair out before deciding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thats an awful lot of upping your mileage in a short space of time. If you do 18 miles on Sunday you'll have increased your longest run distance 3 times in 8 days. There is a massive risk or injury by doing that, not only that but you're putting yourself at risk of being hit with overtraining syndrome. I know you want to run the DCM, but, tread carefully.

Advertisement