Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

One more person telling you isn't likely to make a difference, but you're crazy.
    The marathon is a month away, you're going to be on holiday for one week of that, and you've only just run 15 miles?
    Sure, there is a chance that you'll be able to finish, without picking up an injury or blowing up after 20 miles. A better chance if you run very easy all the way around. But why do that? Pick a spring marathon, train for it properly, and record a finishing time you can be proud of without killing yourself on the way around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I am here at home on my computer, I wish I wasn't! Unfortunately I have been sick and haven't run since the half and don't know when I can again. Even though I felt fine after Sat, it must have taken a lot out of me as my chest has a feeling of fatigue. I don't know if I should risk doing a long run at the weekend?

Have you done any other CV work. If you're not feeling good at the weekend, forget about the long run. It won't make a difference at this stage. If you're not up to it doing the long run will more likely be detrimental. The majority of your work is done now, the main thing that will get you to the start line and the finish line, at this stage, is maintainence. You might get a decent longish run during the week next week and the still get a long run in next weekend. Don't push it this weekend, you don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Thanks all for the advice. Yeah I wouldn't bother trying to push it if I didn't feel too good. The body can take a lot but doesn't like being bullied! I might do my long run in the middle of next week instead or skip it altogether, I'll see how I feel.

What is CV work?

Sorry, CV = cardiovascular. You could always go for a cycle, keeps the legs, lungs and heart strong but puts a lot less strain on the body than running does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I am here at home on my computer, I wish I wasn't! Unfortunately I have been sick and haven't run since the half and don't know when I can again. Even though I felt fine after Sat, it must have taken a lot out of me as my chest has a feeling of fatigue. I don't know if I should risk doing a long run at the weekend?

I am the same as you, been dying since saturday. We must have passed some kid of bug around in Ryans (or maybe it's just that we all went there, soaking wet and never dried off properly :rolleyes:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Oh no, poor Michelle, if it's any consolation i'm laid up too and MrSlow. Injuries galore. At least yours will fix itself, ours God knows. Rest up and myabe we can all meet up later this weekend or into early next week for long run. Might make us all feel better if we're in the same boat. Otherwise i'll go mad...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

At this stage, the best thing you can do is deal with the injury/illness as necessary. If you keep trying to force the issue, you'll only make it worse. If this involves missing a few runs - so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

mr slow,michellemuncher,jemily get well/notinjured soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sadiemac

NO WAY am I sticking any pins in my toenails (was quite faint at the thought....). No, sticking to the original plan I had and repainted the toes and now can ignore them completely (clever huh!).

The advice from Digger2d2 and RayCun has been paying off a treat, you guys were right, I wasn't fueling up enough on the runs.

Great week training this week, nice and steady. Heart and Lungs are happy out and NO PAIN anywhere (touch wood). Almost looking forward to 18 at the weekend. Tho' Maggiemissy, like you, I'm sick and tired of sheep and cows, though theres not much else in Roscommon!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

mrSlow,michellemuncher,Jemily hope you guys feel better soon, and get back on the roads.

I'm off work this week and next on leave, heading to a friends wedding in Italy next Thursday for a few days, so I'll probably try and get 20 in this weekend, and relax next weekend.

Looking forward to the big one now, will probably join the 4:15 group. What colour balloons are we going to use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

While I agree that it's a good idea to rest up when you're injured, also take into account the fact that a certain amount of aches and pains (and even niggles) will be felt at this stage of the marathon program - this is when mileage is at it's highest. Only you (in combination with a physio if you use one) can decide if it's best to rest up or to keep plugging away. I know this goes against most of the advice on this thread, but it's important to remember that (as one of the signs said on Sat) if this was easy everyone would be doing it!

For me, I've got a few niggles at the moment including a slight hamstring strain, but I know that I can keep going on it while watching out for it getting any worse.

If you are injured though, make sure you get the proper recovery.

As usual, just my 2c, take from it what you will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

seamusm99 wrote: »
    Folks,
    I went out and did 15 miles last night longest that I've run it took 2hr.21mins taking it easy enough as I didn't want to exert myself or do an injury. I don't feel too bad today. I'm going to try for 18 miles on Sunday at a relaxed pace again to see if I how I feel. Then when I get to Spain next Thursday do a few early morning runs over 4-5 days and see how I fair out before deciding.

Dude, when you get to 18 remember you'll need another 8.2 to get to the finish, you are going to hurt yourself.

Wait til next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The first lap for Saturday

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=A1213A00-C2CB-3C20-BAD2DEE94919DF47

The second lap

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=3EB205B2-9121-DECE-E6F3250A53F3AD55

First lap is 10.5, second 9.5 or so. for those doing 15/16/17, its the best i can do to get people back to the cars at Knocknamarroon. 3 hills is the best i can for ye boys and girls.

Is there anyone at all coming along on Saturday at 9 apart from xebec?

chinguetti wrote: »
    I'd strongly consider it if anyone was driving from over here, it's too far away and too early otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

nacho family going to wedding on sat so i have to do my run at 7.30, yeah i know 7.30 in the park and then meet you guys at knockmarroon at 9 and do the other half of my run

any other poor sods have to start as early as me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=A1213A00-C2CB-3C20-BAD2DEE94919DF47

The second lap

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=3EB205B2-9121-DECE-E6F3250A53F3AD55

First lap is 10.5, second 9.5 or so. for those doing 15/16/17, its the best i can do to get people back to the cars at Knocknamarroon. 3 hills is the best i can for ye boys and girls.

Cool, I'll probably stick with you guys till about 13 miles, will have 4 done before I get to you then find a route that'll give me 3 miles home. Guess I'll stash my water bottle somewhere around the zoo...
    nachoqueen wrote: »
    nacho family going to wedding on sat so i have to do my run at 7.30, yeah i know 7.30 in the park and then meet you guys at knockmarroon at 9 and do the other half of my run

any other poor sods have to start as early as me

Tempting as that is, probably not :P

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

JEmily wrote: »
    Oh no, poor Michelle, if it's any consolation i'm laid up too and MrSlow. Injuries galore. At least yours will fix itself, ours God knows. Rest up and myabe we can all meet up later this weekend or into early next week for long run. Might make us all feel better if we're in the same boat. Otherwise i'll go mad...:mad:

Oh I know I have been very lucky not to get any serious injuries. I hope you guys aren't in too much pain and will be able to do the last few long runs ok. Meeting up early next week sounds good, but I have to see how I feel. As for CV work, I was tired after a 20 min walk yesterday!
    nachoqueen wrote: »
    mr slow,michellemuncher,jemily get well/notinjured soon
    Thanks Nachoqueen. Enjoy the wedding with Nachoking and the Nachokiddies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

mrslow wrote: »
    Where is everyone today?:(

It's ok.....I'm here now, right...Give me a few minutes to catch up...Fetching pic of you and Miss Brandy 'n' Baileys.....The nachmeister might get jealous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

At this stage, the best thing you can do is deal with the injury/illness as necessary. If you keep trying to force the issue, you'll only make it worse. If this involves missing a few runs - so be it.

As far as I'm aware, based on what I've read, even up to a week out at this stage won't make any major difference as long as you take care of yourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Look like a nice route, I'm pretty sure I can make it on Saturday morning, I'll send you a text when i know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hey I am sorry I took so long to post on this but I have been flat out in work....working from 0900 till 11pm or midnight each day this week.

But at the person who is saying that the person who has just run 15 miles this week. My training has been very stop startish over the past few months and I missed a whole month where I got no more than half a dozen runs of 10km or less. I hadn run a long distance in 5 weeks and 2 weeks ago on sunday I ran 16 miles in 2hr 15 and felt a little sore but nothing too bad.... I then ran last sat the half in 1Hr 43: 27...again was tired but relatively comfortable.

I don't think the person is necessarily going to blow up or injure themselves. So long as they have a good base of fitness and get a couple more decent runs at the 16 - 20 miles mark over the next 2/3 weeks I can't see why they couldn't finish the marathon comfortably under 4.5 hours.

Also at the ppl organising the training run this weekend! First question is it sat or sun? Second question, what time? Would love to do it but have an exam sat and refereeing in the morning sunday but I am sat afternoon at lesat if not sunday too... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

RK, what part of world are you based in? I'm northside if that helps any bit.

For everyone else, the plan is to leave at 9am from Knockmarroon gate but we will hang around a few minutes for late comers. However, you know the route so catch up to us, the more the merrier for all or some of it.

The usual pace, 9.30 or so but i don't have a garmin so if we're garmin less, i'll stay at the back of the group for those who know me. We're lost without a blue knee or two to be noticed:D

RK, what part of world are you based in? I'm northside if that helps any bit.
    Opposite side of the city! I'm in Firhouse.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    It's ok.....I'm here now, right...Give me a few minutes to catch up...Fetching pic of you and Miss Brandy 'n' Baileys.....The nachmeister might get jealous!

OK, why did i choose JEmily as my name, the two other options were much better, Fword (for food obviously) and now BrandynBaileys...love it:D

Nachoqueen enjoy the running and the wedding. I'd love to be going out on an early run or actually any run:(

Update: Went to my Kinesilogist last night for my appointment as planned. Didn't really want going as was moping about with injury. I went to her about 6 months ago orginially as i was intruiged, so many people raved about her, she basically can tell what's going on inside your body and then you get some natural herbs and hey presto your cindy crawford, ha, well not really.

Anyway, to cut to the chase she ended up focusing in on my calf injury with some accupuncture when it just came up in conversation about it. Then while they were in done the rest of the nutritional session. Gave me some drops to get which help with muscle repair/damage and also told me to get arnica for calf. She said not to do ANY exercise for at least 4 days then i will be fine.

So that's me laid up for another 4 days, Tues/Wed will be D Day...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'll be running up to the park, not sure when I'll get there, but I'll run up the Kyber and down Furze and meet you somewhere along the way...

xebec wrote: »
    While I agree that it's a good idea to rest up when you're injured, also take into account the fact that a certain amount of aches and pains (and even niggles) will be felt at this stage of the marathon program - this is when mileage is at it's highest. Only you (in combination with a physio if you use one) can decide if it's best to rest up or to keep plugging away. I know this goes against most of the advice on this thread, but it's important to remember that (as one of the signs said on Sat) if this was easy everyone would be doing it!

For me, I've got a few niggles at the moment including a slight hamstring strain, but I know that I can keep going on it while watching out for it getting any worse.

If you are injured though, make sure you get the proper recovery.

As usual, just my 2c, take from it what you will :)

To be honest anyone that is up to this weeks training and is on schedule for the DCM, most will know if they have a slight niggle or a genuine injury.

In fairness we've put in so much at this stage that 500 niggles would not stop my training but i'm sensible enough to know when to rest up if i'm feeling pain! I'm hoping this will stand to me on DCM day;)

xebec wrote: »

hmmmm this sounds like the exact opposite of what someone says to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Opposite side of the city! I'm in Firhouse.

RK, I can't go in the morning, OH is playing golf :rolleyes: but I'm thinking of going around 3oc if you want to meet up. I'll be doing about 15 or 16 miles. I've no route planned yet. Tymon is a bit small for the big mileage, so I'd consider heading over to the Phoenix park.

Would anyone else be around for an afternoon run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

William72 wrote: »
    I really want to enjoy this experience so may even head out with the 4:30 group - or may be interested in the 4:15 group thats developing here... ok that means I'm still in two minds... bu**er! ;)

While a group of like minded people getting together to run at 4:15 pace is a good idea, it is important to distinguish this from a pace group.

The pacers for say the 4:00 & 4:30 group are people who would run a marathon at 30-45 mins faster than the group they are pacing.

What the pacers are doing is to deliver a pace that is very consistent across each mile.

An ad hoc group may well all finish in 4:15, but will tend to have very different splits on the day.

Advertisement