Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hey I may be interested in a sat afternoon run as I can't mornings this weekend I don't think!

Though I wud be doing a 20 miler me thinks. Anyone else interested in doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

http://www.marathonfoto.com/view_watermark.cfm?CustomerNumber=298C99&NegsNumber=74287974&Orientation

Also there is a pic of me doin the half.... looks like I am barely moving! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

guys i have a party tonight and wedding tomorrow , i was going to not drink tonite and get up at 730 am and do my long run tomorrow am:mad:

but in a lightbulb moment (work quiet) i thought i could do the guts of 18-19 miles this eve and then have a jemily inspired baileys tonite and have a chilled out day tomorrow

Has anyone done LSR s after work, is it awful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

nachoqueen wrote: »
    guys i have a party tonight and wedding tomorrow , i was going to not drink tonite and get up at 730 am and do my long run tomorrow am:mad:

but in a lightbulb moment (work quiet) i thought i could do the guts of 18-19 miles this eve and then have a jemily inspired baileys tonite and have a chilled out day tomorrow

nachoqueen, I did 16m on Monday evenin after a long weekend which included a wedding.
    If you are at a desk all day, which I am it's fine going for a 2 1/2 - 3hr run after as long as you get a decent lunch and hydrate up to an hour before hand.

It's actually easier than running in the morning as for LSRs in the am people tend to start early without much time for the breakfast to settle or having much fluid in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yep, I did 18 last night in the darkness of Phoenix park. Last year I did 80% of my LSR's on friday evenings.
    Have a bigger lunch than normal and head out straight after work. Try to find a well lit stretch or else bring a High Visibility jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

My best run was my first ever 14m and it was straight after work, 6pm on a Tues evening. I agree, you can get plenty of water in that day, plenty of carbs for brekki and lunch, by the time your evening run comes your well ready. Go for it but bring plenty of hi vis. The hi vis arm bands with lights i bought in Lidl couple of weeks ago are brillaint!

There's nothing as nice as a new LSR/milestone and a night out with a few drinks to celebrate. You deserve it! Then tomorrow you can enjoy wedding knowing you've done it and it's out of the way to enjoy the day.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Just goes to show you can't assume anything, I thought Perkina and Brophya were women,:D

Perkina3 wrote: »
    http://www.marathonfoto.com/view_watermark.cfm?CustomerNumber=298C99&NegsNumber=74287974&Orientation

Also there is a pic of me doin the half.... looks like I am barely moving! :O

Ha, that's some pose and i though MrSlow had good poses! At least you saw the photographers, i didn't see any i was so intent on getting to the finish line. Great photo though, well done!

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    Just goes to show you can't assume anything, I thought Perkina and Brophya were women,:D

Me too.

JEmily wrote: »
    Ha, that's some pose and i though MrSlow had good poses! At least you saw the photographers, i didn't see any i was so intent on getting to the finish line. Great photo though, well done!

Do you not remember me going 'smile for the camera' and then lambasting yer man for being on his phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Were the marathonfoto people completely avoiding taking snaps of the pacers? I cannot find one single photograph of myself on there :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Now you know - so stop PM'ing me in the middle of the night when you're drunk :D

Do you not remember me going 'smile for the camera' and then lambasting yer man for being on his phone?

Ha, i do now. He probably didn't want to take a photo of my red face:(

Now you know - so stop PM'ing me in the middle of the night when you're drunk :D

Stop reciprocating then :D Fuzzy Bear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

If you have time this evening, go for it. I've done a 17.5, 21.5 and 25.8 on a Friday evening after work. I find them easier, than early morning runs tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've been an evening runner pretty much since I've started running, and I tend to run better the later I start an LSR. If it fits in better for you, go for it!

Pondering doing my LSR this afternoon, friend I was supposed to be meeting up with for lunch just bailed so my afternoon is free now.

I've been an evening runner pretty much since I've started running, and I tend to run better the later I start an LSR. If it fits in better for you, go for it!

Pondering doing my LSR this afternoon, friend I was supposed to be meeting up with for lunch just bailed so my afternoon is free now.

The Luas would bring you to Heuston for Saturday's LSR?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Looking good for tomorrow... yr.no has it as sunny with light winds and temps of 8 degrees at 1000 and 12 degrees at 1300, couldn't be much better!

• Advertisement

JEmily wrote: »
    Ha, i do now. He probably didn't want to take a photo of my red face:(

Red? were you embarrased to be running with me? Do I run like Phoebe in friends or something? :confused:

xebec wrote: »
    Looking good for tomorrow... yr.no has it as sunny with light winds and temps of 8 degrees at 1000 and 12 degrees at 1300, couldn't be much better!

Yes it could, I could be there enjoying it too :(

A bit of advice please o knowledgeable ones and Xebec;)

The five miler I dropped last night will be covered by tonights 6 before physio.

My physio says I can't run tomorrow and maybe not Sunday, The last time I had a long run was 11th Sept due to the half last week and as I'm staring down the barrell of the peak week (20 + 20) can I do my 15 mile Lsr on Monday, squeeze in 20 miles during the week and then attempt 20 miles for the first time on the following Sunday? It would give me a total of 55 miles for the week.

Or - will it be detrimental for me to miss my LSR this week given it's been 2 weeks since I ran 17.55 (longest ever)

Answers on a postcard to......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

To be honest - I'd just leave this week's long run as a lost cause. I'd rather see you get in 40 good miles next week (5-10-5-20) as stated in the plan, than to try and shoehorn in the 15-miler when your physio wants you to take this weekend off anyway. My physio said a few times last year that it's better to be 10% undertrained than to be injured, and I'm inclined to agree with her.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A bit of advice please o knowledgable ones and Xebec;)

The five miler I dropped last night will be covered by tonights 6 before physio.

My physio says I can't run tomorrow and maybe not Sunday, The last time I had a long run was 11th Sept due to the half last week and as I'm staring down the barrell of the peak week (20 + 20) can I do my 15 mile Lsr on Monday, squeeze in 20 miles during the week and then attempt 20 miles for the first time on the following Sunday? It would give me a total of 55 miles for the week.

Answers on a postcard to......

Whats your highest mileage week previously? Given you've had a couple of injury problems I wouldn't recommend this. Thats 3 lsr's in a very short space of time, you're asking to aggravate your injuries by doing that. Admittedly I have only been following this thread this week really but I know you've had a few injury struggles along the way, the sports therapist in me would tell you not to run Dublin at all(in a do as I say not as I do tone :pac: ) It is VERY close to the marathon to be risking a massive mileage week like that.

Why does your physio say not to run tomorrow or Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If your physio says "don't run for the next three days", its probably not a good idea to think "okay, I'll take those days off - but immediately after that I'll do a massive week!"

Rainbow kirby I'm doing an lsr this avo but it won't b till five ish , I can run southside or the park , p m mr if ur interested ,

Whats your highest mileage week previously? Given you've had a couple of injury problems I wouldn't recommend this. Thats 3 lsr's in a very short space of time, you're asking to aggravate your injuries by doing that. Admittedly I have only been following this thread this week really but I know you've had a few injury struggles along the way, the sports therapist in me would tell you not to run Dublin at all(in a do as I say not as I do tone :pac: ) It is VERY close to the marathon to be risking a massive mileage week like that.

Why does your physio say not to run tomorrow or Sunday?

Previous highest mileage was 17.55

Sorry I wasn't clear about the midweek mileage, the middle 20 is 5+10+5 as per Hal Higdon. My injuries thus far are IT Band which is now under control, the latest one is a niggling nerve which is not firing my calf muscle properly and giving me dead foot when I run. I'm pre-empting her restricting me on Sunday.

I have missed about 15 miles out of the programme so far in total.

Did u say there is a pickle in ur knee cap ;) I think you should forget about any lsr this weekend . Do 2 short runs next week , do 15 mile lsr next weekend , if that goes well go back to plan . Please don't do 55 miles in one week . Just remember the aim is to finish the race and still have enthusiasm for training , your body is trying to tell u something ,

• Advertisement

Did u say there is a pickle in ur knee cap ;) I think you should forget about any lsr this weekend . Do 2 short runs next week , do 15 mile lsr next weekend , if that goes well go back to plan . Please don't do 55 miles in one week . Just remember the aim is to finish the race and still have enthusiasm for training , your body is trying to tell u something ,

I understand what you're saying, problem is if I only do 15 next week then it's taper :eek: and I'm out of time.

I won't do 55 in one week, I'll think of something.

To be continued..........

Advertisement