Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Your first day back running should be easy, so maybe 5 slow on Tuesday, 8 faster on Thursday, 20 slow on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Well done everyone on the Half. I did it in 2.48 he he I know how crap that sounds with all you duracell bunnies but i'm quiet pleased with myself, did the first 7 miles without a break. Has anyone got really badly bruised toenails afterwards?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

RayCun wrote: »
    Your first day back running should be easy, so maybe 5 slow on Tuesday, 8 faster on Thursday, 20 slow on Saturday?

This sounds like a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

RayCun wrote: »

Sorry MrSlow to be taking over your thread, but i think i'll go with this plan next week. Looks good to me and more importantly SENSIBLE.

Yours sincerely,
    The Injured Brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

chinguetti wrote: »
    The first lap for Saturday

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=A1213A00-C2CB-3C20-BAD2DEE94919DF47

The second lap

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=3EB205B2-9121-DECE-E6F3250A53F3AD55

First lap is 10.5, second 9.5 or so. for those doing 15/16/17, its the best i can do to get people back to the cars at Knocknamarroon. 3 hills is the best i can for ye boys and girls.

Is there anyone at all coming along on Saturday at 9 apart from xebec?

I'll be tagging along. Hopefully I can get the twenty completed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

mrslow wrote: »
    Just goes to show you can't assume anything, I thought Perkina and Brophya were women,:D

Ditto mrs low ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

mrslow wrote: »
    A bit of advice please o knowledgeable ones and Xebec;)

The five miler I dropped last night will be covered by tonights 6 before physio.

My physio says I can't run tomorrow and maybe not Sunday, The last time I had a long run was 11th Sept due to the half last week and as I'm staring down the barrell of the peak week (20 + 20) can I do my 15 mile Lsr on Monday, squeeze in 20 miles during the week and then attempt 20 miles for the first time on the following Sunday? It would give me a total of 55 miles for the week.

Or - will it be detrimental for me to miss my LSR this week given it's been 2 weeks since I ran 17.55 (longest ever)

Answers on a postcard to......

Without a doubt knock the 15 on the head. A 40 mile week is tough enough (have you hit that in one week yet?), jumping to 55 would be madness! The benefit you'll get from doing that 15 is negligible compared to the risk of trying to do that mileage. If you're definitely off this weekend then write this week off as a bad one and start again next week. Getting the 20 done should be the focus, missing runs other runs isn't going to have any major negative effect on your fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I'll be tagging along. Hopefully I can get the twenty completed.

Sorry for delay getting back, have been offline for a few days. I'll be there at 9am tomorrow morning as well. Thanks for mapping out the route, looking forward to it.... sort of!

oh and I've a garmin as well in case others don't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Howareya Folks,

I had my first week off work this year this past few days so I ain't been around to post/ read comments - I had a mall full of zombies to take care of on a different computer.

Anyhow I liked how everyone was posting their links to marathonfoto.com
    Unfortunately my Half Marathon pictures are woeful, you can really see the struggle on my face.
    Instead enjoy this photo of me after the Frank Duffy 10 Mile race;
    http://www.marathonfoto.com/view_watermark.cfm?CustomerNumber=249T00&NegsNumber=73438864&Orientation=P

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hey ok,

Following the question that was asked bout the 55 mile week. I have missed 1 short and 1 medium run this week due to me consistently finishing at 22.00 - 23.00 this week and the the only run I got in was a 5 miler on tuesday at 06.00 which I would rather not have to repeat again.

Basically I am hoping to get maybe an 8 miler tomorrow and then my LSR on Sunday... This was going to be one of two peak weeks for me but I dunno now.... I am looking for advice now on what I should alternate my LSR distance to??? I was going to do 20 miles but after an 8 miler on sat I don;t think I will be up for it....

My new plan is to do a 6 - 10 - 8 and ending with a 20 miler next weekend before stepping back the final weel with maybe 30 - 35 miles before tapering the final 2 weeks....

Finally, I am hoping to have a fundraiser for the charity I am running the marathon for..... Should be in maynooth in October...... It will a number of lads getting their legs waxed for charity (Including me:eek::eek::eek:) so you guys are welcome to come along and support!! :P

Anyway... my wall of text over... any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

• Advertisement

http://dublinmarathon.ie/map-2010.pdf

Just after printing this off!!! My first reaction was to go :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and run away screaming!!!!

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Following the question that was asked bout the 55 mile week. I have missed 1 short and 1 medium run this week due to me consistently finishing at 22.00 - 23.00 this week and the the only run I got in was a 5 miler on tuesday at 06.00 which I would rather not have to repeat again.

Not fun alright, but a necessary evil sometimes. I've had more 6am starts for runs this summer than I've ever had before - necessary evil with work and travel...
    Basically I am hoping to get maybe an 8 miler tomorrow and then my LSR on Sunday... This was going to be one of two peak weeks for me but I dunno now.... I am looking for advice now on what I should alternate my LSR distance to??? I was going to do 20 miles but after an 8 miler on sat I don;t think I will be up for it....

Why don't you think you'd be up to it? Don't go too hard for the 8 miles on Sat and at this stage you should be fine to run again on Sunday... It'll be tough, but that's a good thing.
    My new plan is to do a 6 - 10 - 8 and ending with a 20 miler next weekend before stepping back the final weel with maybe 30 - 35 miles before tapering the final 2 weeks....

Is that not the same as a three week taper? By tapering you're gradually stepping back your distance over the few weeks...

http://dublinmarathon.ie/map-2010.pdf

Just after printing this off!!! My first reaction was to go :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and run away screaming!!!!

Have you seen the video of the route
    It's very long :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

F*cking runners taking up the whole bloody path. Then running on the cycle lane. Tsk tsk tsk. :pac:

Loved raycun's reaction by the way! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Howdy all, I'm ok to run tomorrow, physio says it's not a nerve issue but a band of some form of tissue/muscle which crosses my calf and has tightened, locking it up. Had an agonising session where I had to ask her to stop a few times and even considered was DCM worth it:eek:.

I'm running 15 tomorrow around lunchtime in the park for anyone who's about, I'll drop Thursday's 5 miler and rest up until next Sunday for the epic 20 miler.

As always thanks for the advice, I do listen...........:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That's good to hear, just, take it easy tomorrow. If you're not feeling it 7 miles in, tread carefully. Even if you don't make 15 tomorrow it won't stop you making 20 the next week. Make the 20 the priority and tomorrow about time on your feet. If you push it tomorrow you'll risk not being able to make the 20 next week.

Edit: I might be out on the bike again tomorrow if theres a group of you and I recognise you I can carry water/gels. Passed the group 3 times today so I'm likely to see you guys a few times too. Although, I won't be out at 9am tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

18 miles done in 3:05 and alive to tell the tale...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

beamgirl wrote: »
    18 miles done in 3:05 and alive to tell the tale...:D:D

Nice one beamgirl! Sounds like it was no bother to you :)

Mrslow - delighted you are ready to roll again! Best of luck with it tomorrow.

Ok I have been considering what Xebec said about the 3 week taper and they have a point that maybe I was tapering too early.....

As I have deviated so much from Hal higdons programme the last few weeks I was then wondering if the following would constitute a good wind up of 2 weeks hard training before tapering

Week 1 : 6 - 10 - 8 - 18/20

Week 2 : 8 - 10 - 10 - 20

Week 3 : Taper - aim perhaps 25 - 30 miles

Week 4 : Taper 15 - 20 miles spread over 4/5 short slow runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ok I have been considering what Xebec said about the 3 week taper and they have a point that maybe I was tapering too early.....

As I have deviated so much from Hal higdons programme the last few weeks I was then wondering if the following would constitute a good wind up of 2 weeks hard training before tapering

Looks good.
    In the taper the general advice is to reduce the mileage but not the intensity. So If you normally do a midweek run a bit faster, do so also in the taper weeks- just not for as long as usual.
    It is also good advise to do one of your last week runs including 2-3 miles at PMP, to reinforce mentally that that pace is quite easy.

• Advertisement

Thanks dude!! :)

Thanks dude!! :)

Edit: Just looked again at your post. I didn't notice that in week 2 you have 8-10-10-20. Any reason for doing 2 x 10 miles midweek? 48 miles over 4 runs is a lot. Have you normally been doing this kind of mileage?

I am doing 48-50 mile weeks but over 5 runs (following an advanced marathon programme) but I have also done 1200 miles since january. There would only ever be one midweek longish run...
    Unless you have been doing 2 x 10 mile midweek runs regularly (and even then it would be pointless), there is no particuar benefit from it. If you are just adding in increased miles just to do the mileage, forget it- they will just be junk miles and be of no benefit other than increasing injury risk.
    You might be better dropping one of the 10 milers and doing a shorter, faster run instead. Maybe 8 easy, 10 easy, 5 tempo (1 warm up, 3 faster than PMP, 1 warm down), 20 LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Heading out around 1pm tomorrow if anyone's out for a run?

OK, same situation as MrSlow, although slightly different.

Pulled calf on 15 miler 2 weeks ago today:eek:. Anyway was fine if little tight the following weeks short runs, then had the HM as the next LSR. Since then hasn't been right, went out on Tuesday to do 5m and got it done but it was still very very tight. Have rested since then.

Had accupuncture session Thursday evening and then this morning went to physio and she done dry needling, very sore, but i think she hit the spot.

Anyway physio said to rest til Wednesday and then see how it goes. Deep massage with her Thursday and then see where we are at. She said it's not anything major as i can hop/jump/put weight on it and it's fine. So just when exercising. She thinks i've slightly torn ligament. New runners and wear/tear probably.

So i was going to do as what RayCun suggested, 5m slow Tues/Wed evening, 8m faster Thursday, then 20m Saturday. Do you think this is best plan considering i will have been off for a full week by next Tuesday/Wednesday:confused:

I'm just terrified i'm hampering my training with this week off, even though i know it's too soon to go back running on it. Any help/advice appreciated...i know physio is the right person to listen to but just incase anything else;)

P.S. I've followed the plan religiously up until Tuesday of this week. Also done 19m instead of 18m 2 weeks before the HM as my LSR.

JEmily wrote: »
    OK, same situation as MrSlow, although slightly different.

Pulled calf on 15 miler 2 weeks ago today:eek:. Anyway was fine if little tight the following weeks short runs, then had the HM as the next LSR. Since then hasn't been right, went out on Tuesday to do 5m and got it done but it was still very very tight. Have rested since then.

Had accupuncture session Thursday evening and then this morning went to physio and she done dry needling, very sore, but i think she hit the spot.

Anyway physio said to rest til Wednesday and then see how it goes. Deep massage with her Thursday and then see where we are at. She said it's not anything major as i can hop/jump/put weight on it and it's fine. So just when exercising. She thinks i've slightly torn ligament. New runners and wear/tear probably.

So i was going to do as what RayCun suggested, 5m slow Tues/Wed evening, 8m faster Thursday, then 20m Saturday. Do you think this is best plan considering i will have been off for a full week by next Tuesday/Wednesday:confused:

I'm just terrified i'm hampering my training with this week off, even though i know it's too soon to go back running on it. Any help/advice appreciated...i know physio is the right person to listen to but just incase anything else;)

P.S. I've followed the plan religiously up until Tuesday of this week. Also done 19m instead of 18m 2 weeks before the HM as my LSR.

If the Physio says rest till wednesday, then I'd do that. Have an easy run wednesday evening and if that is fine; thursday the same. rest friday and try the 20 on saturday.
    The 20 is the main run, the rest are just fillers and no harm if you miss one or two of them.

Just to add to the above ^^^^ If you don't feel ready for the 20 miler next saturday don't force yourself to do it, you know your own body best and you would be only risking injury.
    In such circumstances you could postpone it a week and have a 2 week taper instead of 3 (given that the last few weeks would have been realtively light training wise a 2 week taper would be fine).

At this stage, one run here or there isn't going to make much difference, the main thing is getting to the start line in good shape. I know you want to do the 20 for the psychological boost, but the other runs aren't so important.

Thanks guys, just needed a bit of a pick me up and some good vibes. I think i'll be ok by next week but was just hoping i wasn't ruining everything by not doing smaller runs.

Phew, feel a bit better now, thanks again, much appreciated.:)

I'm a little confused now :confused: I wasn't saying you should start your taper with three weeks remaining, just that what you had planned was a taper ;) Have you seen the taper weeks in Hal Higdon's program's? Might be worth taking a look and following the last three weeks in whichever program is closest to what you've been following...

Also, +1 on the advice from Meno. What's the idea behind the two 10's midweek of week 2? If you're going to do 20 that week I'd keep it to something like 5-10-5-20, still a big week but nowhere near as much pressure and gives your body a chance to recover...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paulb79

hoping to get a 20 in tomorrow all going well

Advertisement