Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

JEmily, as said earlier by others, don't run until you speak to your physio.

Did my calf 10 days before Edinburgh in May and had to pull out as needed two weeks until it was ok as it was a slight tear at the top of the calf. Sounds something like you have.

Anything you do now will probably mean you will miss the big day. Plenty RICE until Wednesday and don't worry about missing the runs for a couple of days.

Did your physio give you any exercises for the injury? If not, get some on Wednesday from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Delighted with 20 mile lsr in the park this morning with the others from here, as usual the pleasant company making it so much easier. Decent pace as well - about 9.45 miles by my reckoning. I'm sure we got some funny looks at the end as we basically ran around in circles trying to get the 20 miles!

Thanks to Chinguetti for working out a nice varied course as well.

I'll be up for something similar next saturday morn if others are around (not around Sun unfortunately).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

chinguetti wrote: »
    JEmily, as said earlier by others, don't run until you speak to your physio.

Did my calf 10 days before Edinburgh in May and had to pull out as needed two weeks until it was ok as it was a slight tear at the top of the calf. Sounds something like you have.

Anything you do now will probably mean you will miss the big day. Plenty RICE until Wednesday and don't worry about missing the runs for a couple of days.

Did your physio give you any exercises for the injury? If not, get some on Wednesday from them.

Just to add to this and the previous advice...I ran with you the day you did the 19 miles and I've no doubt that when we went out seperate ways at about 17 miles you could have easily stuck with me and finished the 20 ...!! You have loads of running in your legs so don't fup it up by running when you shouldn't or forcing yourself back too quickly.....You have to ease back the injured bit ( as per physio's advice), the other 99.9% of your legs are well sorted mileage-wise !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'll definately be looking to do 20 next saturday morning grimbergen, I want to keep sunday morning free for my Hangover :pac:

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'll definately be looking to do 20 next saturday morning grimbergen, I want to keep sunday morning free for my Hangover :pac:

good stuff, hopefully there'll be a good few of us out. Not sure I'll do 20 exactly - might leave it at 15 but I'll definitely be out.

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Just to add to this and the previous advice...I ran with you the day you did the 19 miles and I've no doubt that when we went out seperate ways at about 17 miles you could have easily stuck with me and finished the 20 ...!! You have loads of running in your legs so don't fup it up by running when you shouldn't or forcing yourself back too quickly.....You have to ease back the injured bit ( as per physio's advice), the other 99.9% of your legs are well sorted mileage-wise !

+1 on this, there seems to be a lot of people on this site with niggling injuries who are panicking about missing a couple of sessions. It's normal to think this way of course but realistically a rest will be more beneficial than pushing yourself unnecessarily at this stage. You'll feel better for it on the big day - extra or catch-up miles at this stage will do more harm than good

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Yeah, delighted to get the 20 in today and the good company makes it so much more bearable. Was slightly concerned the blonde Gardette was going to haul us all in following some scurrilous remarks about herwink.gif! Anyways hope to be there next Saturday for the last of the 20 LSRs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    Was slightly concerned the blonde Gardette was going to haul us all in following some scurrilous remarks about herwink.gif!

What did I miss?! I'm always up for being hauled places by blonde Gardettes! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

What happens on the road, stays on the road! I think though that there were a few disappointed people that she didn't 'interrupt' the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

How did ye know she was blonde, she never took the helmet off that i saw? Then again she did follow us for about a mile and a half so maybe i missed something too. The torch was making its way up to Farmleigh for an event

I was focused on the running and watching out for the cyclists :D

• Advertisement

Girls and boys....Do the Rathfarnham 5k next year if you get a chance...Well organised, good route and excellent compression top, water and Hunky Dorys afterwards....:D

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    Was slightly concerned the blonde Gardette was going to haul us all in following some scurrilous remarks about herwink.gif! !
    xebec wrote: »
    What did I miss?! I'm always up for being hauled places by blonde Gardettes! :cool:
    chinguetti wrote: »
    How did ye know she was blonde, she never took the helmet off that i saw? :D

Sorry to disappoint you lads but the word on the street is the blonde Gardette was mrslow on his way home from a fancy dress party.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Laaads,

Did my 20 mile LSR today....ran with a slightly tight hamstring and after being out the night before...Ran 19 miles and then had to run and walk the last mile cuz I felt a little weak...

I am putting it down to not eating enough before going out as the weakness really hit me at the 18/19 mile mark....i am happy enough with it as its 4 miles more than I have done to date.... may double think the 20 miler next week.... may step it back for a 15 miler and finish out the training with a 20 miler!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

15-17 miles next week should be fine, then into taper after that. You've done the 20 today, even if you did find it tough at the end. I wouldn't be looking to do a 20 2 weeks out from DCM.

As always.... I always take the advice on here BUT you need to know one thing bout me...I don't like failing at ****...haven't yet.... and I think I have not done myself justice by walking the last little bit....

I won't feel right unless I do it right....
    I am posting this so that you can persuade me not to do it.... will 20 2 weeks before the marathon really have that much effect?

15-17 miles next week should be fine, then into taper after that. You've done the 20 today, even if you did find it tough at the end. I wouldn't be looking to do a 20 2 weeks out from DCM.
    Perkina3 wrote: »
    As always.... I always take the advice on here BUT you need to know one thing bout me...I don't like failing at ****...haven't yet.... and I think I have not done myself justice by walking the last little bit....

I am posting this so that you can persuade me not to do it.... will 20 2 weeks before the marathon really have that much effect?

Keep that competitive drive for the DCM when you'll (and we'll) need that edge....Look on the bright side, up until we saw your picture in the Half we thought you were a girl :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For a first-timer, it will. It takes quite a while for your body to recover and gain the benefit of the very long runs, and this would mean cutting it very fine in terms of proper recovery. The idea behind the LSRs in marathon training is time on your feet, and you've got the time on your feet in today so that objective was fulfilled (even if you don't feel particularly satisfied with it).

I would prefer to see you maintain fitness next week - as mentioned, a long run in the 15-17 mile range would do that, then go into a 3 week taper where you gradually reduce the mileage (Higdon suggests 12 mile LSR 2 weeks before the marathon and 8 miles the week before the marathon). The ideal is that you get to the start line in the best possible condition, and 20 miles 2 weeks out will be counterproductive in terms of achieving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Digger, what can I say? Having an active imagination is a good thing but not everything is for sharing dude. Missed you at the 5k, Mrs. Slow rocked - a new pb of 30 mins.

JEmily's gonna kill me but, 20 was there for the taking today and I nailed it 3:20 flat. Ran around like an idiot trying to make up mileage but I got there, injury free except my ass is killing me:(

I still can't get over how you thought I was a girl...... But meh... Ok another question actually.... I have been back from the run bout 4 hours and I am literally melting...as in I am jus like sweating uncontrollably at times.... did that happen to anyone else??? My grand total of fluid taken today have been circa 5l of water by the time I go to bed plus a litre of milk and a pint of OJ? What the hell is wrong with me lol

I still can't get over how you thought I was a girl...... But meh... Ok another question actually.... I have been back from the run bout 4 hours and I am literally melting...as in I am jus like sweating uncontrollably at times.... did that happen to anyone else??? My grand total of fluid taken today have been circa 5l of water by the time I go to bed plus a litre of milk and a pint of OJ? What the hell is wrong with me lol

Sounds like you are coming down with a cold which, if true, would explain why you had it tough at the end of your run today.

• Advertisement

No problem at all with walking that last bit! These long runs are supposed to be a learning experience as much as anything. What was your nutrition like today? It's something that you should think about before DCM to try to avoid/prolong the time before hitting the wall again.

Some good advice from RK above...

Regarding the sweats, that's an unusual, more normal to be cold for hours and not being able to warm up. Good point by meno, you might be coming down with something, are you running a fever? If not don't worry about it too much and see how you feel tomorrow...

Sorry to disappoint you lads but the word on the street is the blonde Gardette was mrslow on his way home from a fancy dress party.....:eek:
    mrslow wrote: »
    injury free except my ass is killing me:(

Are you sure digger2d2 wasn't telling the truth?!

Nutrition:

Bowl of Shreddies and some milk....

Iso drink: pre run

During and post run: at least 2 l of water, banana and a gel and half

Lion bar: (was so hungry I literally would have eaten anything) and 3/4 litres of milk. (Couldn't stomach the protein drink)

Dinner: Beef and 3 veg. Small amount of fruit...

My diet is inadequate and I know it. I actually was hoping to ask some advice about marathon training nutrition.... cuz I am strugglin with this element of the training

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sounds like you are coming down with a cold which, if true, would explain why you had it tough at the end of your run today.

I ran it today with a cold... but made no difference

but I got there, injury free except my ass is killing me:(
    xebec wrote: »
    Are you sure digger2d2 wasn't telling the truth?!

Now that's one of the funniest replies I've read on this forum...I literally laughed out loud xebec!

Nutrition:

Bowl of Shreddies and some milk....

Iso drink: pre run

During and post run: at least 2 l of water, banana and a gel and half

Lion bar: (was so hungry I literally would have eaten anything) and 3/4 litres of milk. (Couldn't stomach the protein drink)

Dinner: Beef and 3 veg. Small amount of fruit...

My diet is inadequate and I know it. I actually was hoping to ask some advice about marathon training nutrition.... cuz I am strugglin with this element of the training

Someone more qualified than me will be along to help on this issue I'm sure, my long list of food allergies means that this is one of my weak points...

But just as a first stab - your breakfast was tiny and only little amount of energy, usual thing is porridge which gives a slow release over the following hours. During the run, just 1.5 gels again seems like a small amount. During a training run of this length I'd be taking at least two (one at 10 and another at 15) if not more.

What was your diet like yesterday? It's not just the race itself where you've got to think about the days leading up, these long runs are a serious challenge too. Possibly consider something to up the energy levels on the day before these runs.

As I said before these are learning experiences too, try something a little better for your next LSR and see if it makes any difference :)

I ran it today with a cold... but made no difference

:eek: you mad woman. There is your answer. Do you expect to run 20 miles with a cold and feel good at the end?

(to those who read my log, I know I know, pot, kettle etc)

(Couldn't stomach the protein drink)

As tempted as I am to reply to this with a wise crack I better say nothing....;)

As tempted as I am to reply to this with a wise crack I better say nothing....;)

We just need to find the descriptions of gels from the girls on last years thread and we'd have a great story going! Definitely not PG rated ;)

• Advertisement

Digger, Missed you at the 5k, Mrs. Slow rocked - a new pb of 30 mins.

Way to go Mrs Low's missus Mrs Slow....Shame we didn't meet up, can you believe Martin Fagan pipped me to the win by 7 minutes!!:mad:

Advertisement