Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

xebec wrote: »
    We just need to find the descriptions of gels from the girls on last years thread and we'd have a great story going! Definitely not PG rated ;)
    I think I was guilty of one of those descriptions :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

We just need to find the descriptions of gels from the girls on last years thread and we'd have a great story going! Definitely not PG rated ;)

:DI don't know about you but I find them quite fattening and they haven't improved my skin.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I think I was guilty of one of those descriptions :pac:

Really?! The ones I'm thinking of I wouldn't exactly have associated with you, but I guess it coulda been :P

Jees, all the comedy is coming out tonight! digger2d2, how dare Fagan only just pip you to the line?!

Really?! The ones I'm thinking of I wouldn't exactly have associated with you, but I guess it coulda been :P
    I think it was me that described Gu gel as having a similar texture to lube, but it was EYT/Goofygirl that came up with the more X-rated description :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Are you sure digger2d2 wasn't telling the truth?!

I covered a lot of the park today but didn't opt for the Furry Glen;)

• Advertisement

I think it was me that described Gu gel as having a similar texture to lube, but it was EYT/Goofygirl that came up with the more X-rated description :pac:

Yep, it was EYT's description that I was thinking bout alright :D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    :DI don't know about you but I find them quite fattening and they haven't improved my skin.....

I'm going to stop now before I get into trouble... Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Definately a particular vibe from you this evening, starting to think your girly vest is a beacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paulb79

done 18 in the end 2.31 wasnt to bad felt ok

mrslow wrote: »
    Definately a particular vibe from you this evening, starting to think your girly vest is a beacon.

May be due to the lack of alcohol...Until tonight!!! Right, I'm off to do crunches:p and check Rainbow's et al dodgy gel comments from last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Perkina3 wrote: »
    BUT you need to know one thing bout me...I don't like failing at ****...haven't yet.... and I think I have not done myself justice by walking the last little bit....

I won't feel right unless I do it right....

What's your target time for the marathon?

4weeks tomorrow guys :) and at the same time :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I have no morals so I'll say it.

Goofygirl(not me) compared gels to semen. :pac:

I have no morals so I'll say it.

Goofygirl(not me) compared gels to semen. :pac:

Em, you may be doing her an injustice there... Bally8 had more to do with it :rolleyes:

For those who really need to see the post it's here, comments on that thread from racheljev, littlebug and goofygirl too before RK comes along with her infamous lube comment ;)

Spent ages searching for it in the sub-430 thread from last year, no wonder I couldn't find it when it was in Bally8's log!

On the subject of last year's thread, we're at roughly twice the length of it already - and still 29 days to go to DCM :pac:

Also, this is possibly the most similar gel to what was referred to in certain comments. There's a certain mixture of texture and salty taste going on... :eek:

Em, you may be doing her an injustice there... Bally8 had more to do with it :rolleyes:

For those who really need to see the post it's here, comments on that thread from racheljev, littlebug and goofygirl too before RK comes along with her infamous lube comment ;)

Spent ages searching for it in the sub-430 thread from last year, no wonder I couldn't find it when it was in Bally8's log!

Bally8 needs to introduce her man/men to pineapple................;)

On the subject of last year's thread, we're at roughly twice the length of it already - and still 29 days to go to DCM :pac:

Also, this is possibly the most similar gel to what was referred to in certain comments. There's a certain mixture of texture and salty taste going on... :eek:

:D:D Right, a box (:eek:) of those is on the long suffering Mrs 2d2's Christmas list.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I go out for a few hours and ye go mad. I'm going to ignore the gel/semen/lube thing - they're a necessary evil and thats it.

The garda (they ain't ban gardas or gardette anymore) on the bike yesterday couldn't have been mrslow - she didn't have a blue knee.

Right! Back to talk of training! No more dirty talk* :p :pac:

* until I lower the tone again

Week 15
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|5 m|10 m|5 m|rest|20 m|cross

This is it... the longest week of the program. 40 miles this week - it's a tough week but once you've got through this you're golden. Take it slow on the 20 miler, this is about time on your feet rather than pushing the pace - and use it to practice your hydration and fuelling strategies for race day. Look after yourself this week too - if you need to sleep more, do it. If you need to eat more (good food, of course), do it. Give your body what it needs.

If anyone is still a week ahead at this stage of the program, keep the midweek mileage but I'd like you to do 15-17 miles as your long run - see how you feel after 15, but I wouldn't go much further than 17. You've probably already done the 20 if you're a week ahead.

We're only a week away from tapering now. Get through this week and you're over the hardest of the training, it's easing off after this. If you've got any niggles, try and get them sorted, and it may be worth scheduling a sports massage at some point early in the taper. Chins up, we're nearly there in terms of training! :)

Also, it would be pretty decent to get a group run going for the big 2-0 this weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Aha my earns are burning! I have no problems with the GU gels, it was the SIS ones I didn't like, I believe my exact remarks being:

"Tried a new brand of energy gel - those SIS ones. Hmmm. Not thrilled. First of all took ages to tear the top off then the contents splattered everywhere all over my jacket. Found them a bit too liquidy, I prefer the more concentrated gunk like in the GU gels. Was it Bally8 who made that memorable comparison last year about the consistency of energy gels? Well, slugging the SIS gel down was fine but then I put the empty wrapper into one of my pockets. Later on in the run when I went to stash my gloves, my fingers glazed this cold, sticky, viscous substance...I'm not going to spell out what it reminded me of..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

mrslow wrote: »
    JEmily's gonna kill me but, 20 was there for the taking today and I nailed it 3:20 flat. Ran around like an idiot trying to make up mileage but I got there, injury free except my ass is killing me:(

I'm so happy for you, i can feel the excitement in those words and more importantly that golden number "20". Wow.

I won't be too far behind you i hope...D Day in 3 days...

chinguetti wrote: »
    JEmily, as said earlier by others, don't run until you speak to your physio.

Did my calf 10 days before Edinburgh in May and had to pull out as needed two weeks until it was ok as it was a slight tear at the top of the calf. Sounds something like you have.

Anything you do now will probably mean you will miss the big day. Plenty RICE until Wednesday and don't worry about missing the runs for a couple of days.

Did your physio give you any exercises for the injury? If not, get some on Wednesday from them.

Hey, thanks for info and advice. My God you've just nailed the exact injury i have. No exercises only light walking and some normal stretching. I've another appointment with her Thursday to see where we're at. She'll probably give me exercises then. I'll make sure to ask.

It's definitely the new runners as my other calf is sore in the same spot, unfortunately though i'll stick with the runners i have now but note to memo (and everyone here): new runners should be got a long way back.

Just to add to this and the previous advice...I ran with you the day you did the 19 miles and I've no doubt that when we went out seperate ways at about 17 miles you could have easily stuck with me and finished the 20 ...!! You have loads of running in your legs so don't fup it up by running when you shouldn't or forcing yourself back too quickly.....You have to ease back the injured bit ( as per physio's advice), the other 99.9% of your legs are well sorted mileage-wise !

Thank you, it's so hard sitting in the sidelines this week that you've just made my monday morning a bit more bearable.

Well done on the race last weekend, your seriously flying (even with the dodgy vest)...DCM here you come!!!

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments

William72|||228.1||
    The Wexican|| |250.5||
    rofno1|| |251||
    boccy23|||285||
    brophya2007| | |305.4| |
    beamgirl|||241||
    michellemuncher|||229||
    RayCun|||391.5| |
    littlebug| | |300.2| |
    meathcountysec|||476.60||
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|||283||
    digger2d2|||364||
    Curl52|||401||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    James Howlett|5|35|377|LSR runs have lost their novelty :(|
    RallyRunner|||309.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|||316||
    RubyK|||405.98||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||213||
    Mrslow|||207.3||
    marrona|||360.48||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| ||504.04||
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

You guys talk a lot, I had to go 11 pages back to find this table :)
    Hope I didn't miss anybody/ any miles, apologies if I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

William72|||228.1||
    The Wexican|| |250.5||
    rofno1|| |251||
    boccy23|||285||
    brophya2007| | |305.4| |
    beamgirl|||241||
    michellemuncher|||229||
    RayCun|6|36.6|428.1| Relaxed 15 mile LSR on Saturday, PB in yesterday's 5k|
    littlebug| | |300.2| |
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|||283||
    digger2d2|||364||
    Curl52|||401||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    RallyRunner|||309.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|||316||
    RubyK|||405.98||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||213||
    Mrslow|||207.3||
    marrona|||360.48||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| ||504.04||
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

the 5k yesterday was my last race until the marathon, and Saturday's LSR (in the park with a whole bunch of you, I expect) will be the last really long run. I'm going to go crazy in the taper. 4 weeks today...

all sorted, nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

William72|||228.1||
    The Wexican|| |250.5||
    rofno1|| |251||
    boccy23|||285||
    brophya2007| | |305.4| |
    beamgirl|||241||
    michellemuncher|||229||
    littlebug| | |300.2| |
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|||283||
    digger2d2|||364||
    Curl52|||401||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    RallyRunner|||309.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|||316||
    RubyK|4|38.66|444.64|LSR 20 miles. Problems after mile 11 with hip. Frustrating, as I felt good and fresh. Trying to get myself a foam roller and sort out this issue|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||213||
    Mrslow|||207.3||
    marrona|||360.48||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| ||504.04||
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

William72|||228.1||
    The Wexican|| |250.5||
    rofno1|| |251||
    boccy23|||285||
    brophya2007| | |305.4| |
    beamgirl|||241||
    michellemuncher|||229||
    littlebug| | |300.2| |
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|||283||
    digger2d2|||364||
    Curl52|||401||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    RallyRunner|||309.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|||316||
    RubyK|4|38.66|444.64|LSR 20 miles. Problems after mile 11 with hip. Frustrating, as I felt good and fresh. Trying to get myself a foam roller and sort out this issue|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily||5|218|3 days of rest left with injury, hopefully this week will get back to plan|
    Mrslow|||207.3||
    marrona|||360.48||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| ||504.04||
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

William72|||228.1||
    The Wexican|| |250.5||
    rofno1|| |251||
    boccy23|||285||
    brophya2007|4|39 |344.4|20 mile LSR done - 1 week to taper :D |
    beamgirl|||241||
    michellemuncher|||229||
    littlebug| | |300.2| |
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|||283||
    digger2d2|||364||
    Curl52|||401||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    RallyRunner|||309.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|||316||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily||5|218|3 days of rest left with injury, hopefully this week will get back to plan|
    Mrslow|||207.3||
    marrona|||360.48||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| ||504.04||
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

William72|4|32|260.2|All good|
    The Wexican|| |250.5||
    rofno1|| |251||
    boccy23|||285||
    brophya2007|4|39 |344.4|20 mile LSR done - 1 week to taper :D |
    beamgirl|||241||
    michellemuncher|||229||
    littlebug| | |300.2| |
    DigiJem|||248.8||
    D Chief|||283||
    digger2d2|||364||
    Curl52|||401||
    ilovetorun |||267||
    RallyRunner|||309.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|||316||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    Mrslow|||207.3||
    marrona|||360.48||
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA| | |c371| |
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| ||504.04||
    Perkina3||| c. 270?|

Feel like I have a bit of a cold coming on but other than that things are going ok. Looking forward to this week!

Advertisement