Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

You're doing a fantastic job RK. Best of luck everybody, gonna start getting serious now. Keep the easy runs easy, don't over exert yourselves and risk injury. Stick to the plans as well, even of you think mileage is low in the first couple of weeks, it'll soon build up. Apologies if this stuff was mentioned before. Just speaking from a little bit of experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭m2wua0ox56iz93

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No problem, welcome to the thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Comments
    William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23|1|5|Took it easy this week after Triathlon. Rest week waiting for the proper training. :)|
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher|2|11|I got a wee cold at the beginning of last week so could not do the women's mini marathon. I will probably do another 10k instead. Managed an 8m run today, felt great. Cycled 30 miles.|
    Dave_||||
    RayCun||||
    littlebug|5|20.4|Got my mojo back:)|
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy|4|15| Finished week 3 of HH novice 1 plan, miles are building, but feeling good|

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23|1|5|Took it easy this week after Triathlon. Rest week waiting for the proper training. :)|
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher|2|11|I got a wee cold at the beginning of last week so could not do the women's mini marathon. I will probably do another 10k instead. Managed an 8m run today, felt great. Cycled 30 miles.|
    Dave_||||
    RayCun|4|18.7|and started on the proper plan this morning...|
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy|4|15| Finished week 3 of HH novice 1 plan, miles are building, but feeling good|

Re. the strides, I did some this morning, and a tip I remember from some other thread is to accelerate up to your fast pace and hold that pace for 12 seconds. (Count "1 Mississipi, 2 Mississipi..." to make sure you don't count too fast) It's easier than estimating 100 metres and it works out about the same...

Good luck everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec|4|16|Back in the saddle :D|
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007|3|11|Did three runs in three days back to back and felt good. |
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||

Is the training plan officially starting today? I was thinking of doing the ennis 10k sat 26th, would that be ok as part of the training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Hope I'm not too late to join as this is exactly what I'm looking for.....

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Started running last year and did as follows...5k (April) in 23:45, then Adidas series, 5 mile 38:13, 10 mile 1:25:41 and half marathon in 1:52:51

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    I'm a bit all over the place, last week ran three days and cross training one day, week before 2 days but ran twice on one day...I was running more often/further a couple of months ago but eased off waiting to start the HH 18 week plan

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    I want to break 4 hours and anything heading towards sub 3:50 would be the dream

How many days a week can you train?
    As many as required

Why are you running this marathon?
    To prove I've some life left in me yet!

Is the training plan officially starting today? I was thinking of doing the ennis 10k sat 26th, would that be ok as part of the training?

The 18 week programmes would start officially next week, but I think there's a fair few of us starting a week early, to allow for stuff coming up over the next few months.
    A race would usually count as equivalent effort to your long run, and thie early in the training you're not missing out on a really long run, so you should be fine.

Welcome on board digger2d2! Which Higon plan are you following? Are you doing the race series again this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Michelle - might I suggest the Dunshaughlin 10k on the 26th? It's relatively cheap (entry is €12), and is quite popular and well-run.

Yes thanks, I was thinking of doing this one. On your further recommendation I probably will do it. And I'm a Meath girl too : )

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades|4|23|+1 circuit +1 squash. Injury free and loving it. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Similar mileage next week then less before the strawberry half on the 27th. Hopefully this should still cover all the bases for this training regime running the half instead of that weeks LSR|
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||

As has already been mentioned, the official start of an 18 week plan would be next week, but I put week 1 up this week because I know quite a few people were thinking of starting a week early. Doing a 10k race would be fine, and in fact it will give you a good indicator of your fitness at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades|4|23|+1 circuit +1 squash. Injury free and loving it. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Similar mileage next week then less before the strawberry half on the 27th. Hopefully this should still cover all the bases for this training regime running the half instead of that weeks LSR|
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea|4|16|LSR was mini-marathon and 3 short runs. Happy enough with the week|
    Curl52||||

Starting the week early and will def try the strides. Thanks for the definition as I didn't know what it meant!!

BTW thanks for the advice on the races during the training program and the book recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

RayCun wrote: »
    Welcome on board digger2d2! Which Higon plan are you following? Are you doing the race series again this year?

Thanks RayCun - Looks like it will be Novice 2 - I've been looking for something that's geared towards 3:59:59 but maybe I'm being too specific;) The official DCM one is for 3:30 - 4:15 and there's a big difference there!

Yep, have signed up for the series again and am looking forward to trying to beat last year's times!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    ilovetorun|4|26| Had a good week overall, I had hoped to get 5 runs done but took Friday off as I felt tired. Good LSR of 8 miles on Saturday

oops! what did I do wrong?? I tried to enter in my training log for the week:(

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    ilovetorun|4|26| Had a good week overall, I had hoped to get 5 runs done but took Friday off as I felt tired. Good LSR of 8 miles on Saturday

ilovetorun wrote: »
    oops! what did I do wrong?? I tried to enter in my training log for the week:(

Fixed it for ye.

Thanks for that meathcountysec:)
    What did I do wrong? - I dont want to make the same mistake next time!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that meathcountysec:)
    What did I do wrong? - I dont want to make the same mistake next time!

You seemed to have deleted the "(table][/table)" tags. Just delete the "(quote][/quote)" pair next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

Name
    Sessions Completed
    Total Miles This Week
    Comments
    William72
    wicklowwonder
    rofno1
    pab_lowe
    elvis jones
    boccy23 1 5 Took it easy this week after Triathlon. Rest week waiting for the proper training.
    OI
    brophya2007 3 11 Did three runs in three days back to back and felt good.
    dublinrunner
    southofnowhere
    robandpatrice
    dothehustle
    beamgirl
    michellemuncher 2 11 I got a wee cold at the beginning of last week so could not do the women's mini marathon. I will probably do another 10k instead. Managed an 8m run today, felt great. Cycled 30 miles.
    Dave_
    RayCun 4 18.7 and started on the proper plan this morning...
    littlebug 5 20.4 Got my mojo back
    meathcountysec 4 16 Back in the saddle
    DigiJem
    8ofSpades 4 23 +1 circuit +1 squash. Injury free and loving it. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Similar mileage next week then less before the strawberry half on the 27th. Hopefully this should still cover all the bases for this training regime running the half instead of that weeks LSR
    D Chief
    curraghyid
    la calera
    Shazkea
    Curl52 4 23.5 Started with mini marathon last Monday, 49.10 so was happy enough with time. Did long run on Thurs and really felt it in my thighs, hopefully back to normal this week.
    Figmurphy 4 15 Finished week 3 of HH novice 1 plan, miles are building, but feeling good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

Sorry I'd the same problem as lovetorun, can't seem the quote to delete??

It's going to be a long day :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Curl52 wrote: »
    Sorry I'd the same problem as lovetorun, can't seem the quote to delete??

Quote the last table.
    Remove the 'Quote' from the start and end
    [QUOTExxx]

[/QUOTE]

Do Not remove the part which says
    [..TABLE]
    [.../TABLE]

Otherwise the table lines will be removed.

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52|4|23.5| Started with mini marathon last Monday, 49.10 so was happy enough with time. Did long run on Thurs and really felt it in my thighs, hopefully back to normal this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

William72|1|7.3|Second of my "holiday runs" had hoped to get 4 in but life got in the way. Back to business this week|
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52|4|23.5| Started with mini marathon last Monday, 49.10 so was happy enough with time. Did long run on Thurs and really felt it in my thighs, hopefully back to normal this week.

I'm baaack! Trust you all missed me hugely :D. Really enjoyed reading everyone's updates this morning. So my first update in 3 weeks goes as follows:
    W/C 24/5 2 runs 10.5 miles, building up the miles slowly and felt comfortable
    W/C 31/5 start of 2 weeks in Portugal on hols with OH and our two little girls. Had hoped/planned to get 2 runs per week in but had an idea that would be difficult and was right. Week 1 eventually got out on the Friday for 6 miles. Went at 8am to beat the heat and failed - was bloody hot, thought I was going to die in first 2 miles but as you do found my (new slower) rhythm and got to 6 miles. Delighted with that
    Last week. Same story - eventually got out on Saturday for just over 7 miles. A little more overcast but still bloody hot.

Planning to start the program proper tomorrow - after a loong journey home yesterday that seems crazy right now but I'm going to stick to the plan and have that contingency week in the bag.

William 72-Running on holidays is a toughie alright, I always find I'm caught between a rock and a hard stone, I want to get a few lie-in's but need to get up early to avoid the heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

William 72-Running on holidays is a toughie alright, I always find I'm caught between a rock and a hard stone, I want to get a few lie-in's but need to get up early to avoid the heat!

Yes indeed, the odd time that I did have that choice to make it was a hard one but alas my challenges were more to do with my two darlings under 2 1/2 and me actually having to do some full time parenting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

William72|1|7.3|Second of my "holiday runs" had hoped to get 4 in but life got in the way. Back to business this week|
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl|2|14|Had a touch of the lazyitis but did 8 miles yesterday and delighted with it|
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||

Advertisement