Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

On the subject of last year's thread, we're at roughly twice the length of it already - and still 29 days to go to DCM :pac:

Ha Ha, but this year you have to read 3 or 4 pages before you get to a mention of 'running'.:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

mrslow wrote: »
    That'll bring up the percentage of ladies on Saturday;)

QUIET YOU!!!!! Or I will make you go even slower!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 seamusm99

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Hey I am sorry I took so long to post on this but I have been flat out in work....working from 0900 till 11pm or midnight each day this week.

But at the person who is saying that the person who has just run 15 miles this week. My training has been very stop startish over the past few months and I missed a whole month where I got no more than half a dozen runs of 10km or less. I hadn run a long distance in 5 weeks and 2 weeks ago on sunday I ran 16 miles in 2hr 15 and felt a little sore but nothing too bad.... I then ran last sat the half in 1Hr 43: 27...again was tired but relatively comfortable.

I don't think the person is necessarily going to blow up or injure themselves. So long as they have a good base of fitness and get a couple more decent runs at the 16 - 20 miles mark over the next 2/3 weeks I can't see why they couldn't finish the marathon comfortably under 4.5 hours.

Also at the ppl organising the training run this weekend! First question is it sat or sun? Second question, what time? Would love to do it but have an exam sat and refereeing in the morning sunday but I am sat afternoon at lesat if not sunday too... :D

That's me --- Yeah, I have no niggles and feeling very good since the half. Last night I put in a 6 miler and I'm feeling very comfortable. I'm going to Spain Thursday and have a 100 mile cycle planned and will do a few runs down around the town and harbour area. I won't be drinking as I'm on my own for a few days business. I think the 4.5 is definitely a target, as I plan to go out at an easy pace 9 mile per minutes and see if I can get into a nice rhythm. I do take it onboard from the others that I could blow up at 22-23 miles, but as you point out that isn't necessary going to happen. If I eat right and carb load up and take on fuel during the race watch my pace I think it is achievable. Hope I don't end up like these two below !! Scary stuff;;;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1UvxxYIv3U

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

That'll bring up the percentage of ladies on Saturday;)

Great, I'll have someone to talk hair and make-up with so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

QUIET YOU!!!!! Or I will make you go even slower!!! :P

My apologies! I'm never one to upset a fair maiden.

• Advertisement

seamusm99 wrote: »
    That's me --- Yeah, I have no niggles and feeling very good since the half. Last night I put in a 6 miler and I'm feeling very comfortable. I'm going to Spain Thursday and have a 100 mile cycle planned and will do a few runs down around the town and harbour area. I won't be drinking as I'm on my own for a few days business. I think the 4.5 is definitely a target, as I plan to go out at an easy pace 9 mile per minutes and see if I can get into a nice rhythm. I do take it onboard from the others that I could blow up at 22-23 miles, but as you point out that isn't necessary going to happen. If I eat right and carb load up and take on fuel during the race watch my pace I think it is achievable. Hope I don't end up like these two below !! Scary stuff;;;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1UvxxYIv3U

The main theme here from the experienced heads is that you only get one first marathon and to make sure that you enjoy it. I was advised not to run as I only started running in April but I've gradually increased the mileage over a sensible amount of time to get over 230 miles into my legs since I decided to run DCM, not to mention all the miles before that.

If you run you may not injure yourself, you may cross the line in one piece but one things for sure - you won't enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Mr..s. Slow.... :P...You intended on enjoyin ur marathon... That has never crossed my mind once...This is goin to be 3 to 4 hours of hell but worth it in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

nachoqueen wrote: »
    back went into spasm last night, never happened before, kind of scary, after physio/swimming etc should be ok for sunday, not saturday im afraid

Oh no, you'll be fine with some rest, tlc and some nachos. Trust me that's all i've been doing for the past week and it's great fun, NOT;)

See you Sunday...don't forget more nachos, my appetite's increased since i last saw you...

Mr..s. Slow.... :P...You intended on enjoyin ur marathon... That has never crossed my mind once...This is goin to be 3 to 4 hours of hell but worth it in the end :)

I'm going to enjoy it if it kills me, I loved making that 20 mile mark on Sunday, even threw my arms up in the air - victorious.

'At some point in the marathon, the distance becomes greater than human's ability to physically transend it'

'Running a marathon teaches you to keep going, to break through walls you don't think you can and when you're done, you'll know there's nothing in life that you cannot overcome.'

What's not to enjoy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 seamusm99

The main theme here from the experienced heads is that you only get one first marathon and to make sure that you enjoy it. I was advised not to run as I only started running in April but I've gradually increased the mileage over a sensible amount of time to get over 230 miles into my legs since I decided to run DCM, not to mention all the miles before that.

If you run you may not injure yourself, you may cross the line in one piece but one things for sure - you won't enjoy it!

I'm doing it for an achievement and life goal. I may or may not enjoy the last few miles, but I will try my best to enjoy it by pacing myself. If I can finish it regardless of time I'll still be pleased - it's jog not a sprint for me.
    You said 2 minutes later that "I'm going to enjoy it if it kills me" :cool: a bit ironic is it not. I fully expect to be hurting for up to week, but I'll not be the only one!!

• Advertisement

I'm doing it for an achievement and life goal. I may or may not enjoy the last few miles, but I will try my best to enjoy it by pacing myself. If I can finish it regardless of time I'll still be pleased - it's jog not a sprint for me.
    You said 2 minutes later that "I'm going to enjoy it if it kills me" :cool: a bit ironic is it not. I fully expect to be hurting for up to week, but I'll not be the only one!!

Not ironic at all, it is gonna hurt, at some point I'll feel like packing it in but I will cross that line. The difference between us is that I have trained hard for this and physically and mentally prepared myself to complete it.

Telling you to wait is not me being elitist, it's out of genuine concern that you're going to hurt yourself. I repeat my first response to you where I said you have your mind made up already so advice is now redundant.

Good luck with your marathon I do hope it goes well for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

jcsmum wrote: »
    Jeez, there's an excuse if I ever heard one! :rolleyes:
    Digger and I aren't interested in your nachos anymore. I mean if you didn't share with us before............ :D

Yeah....What do we care anyway, we are on a Nachos taper....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

They're our nacho's now (insert evil laugh)

Tenga cuidado, ella no compartira sus Nachos :pac:

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Tenga cuidado, ella no compartira sus Nachos :pac:

No comprende gringo!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Yeah....What do we care anyway, we are on a Nachos taper....

Sour grapes said the fox when he couldn't have any ;)

Back to running and I'll edit later with the specific name but my wife has injured ligaments under her rubcage from running, two weeks off with anti inflammatories.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Finally i've booked a hotel room booked for the Sunday and Monday nights. :D

So.....where we going drinking RK?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Well seeing as your mind is made up to go ahead with it you might like to read this thread from the cycling forum last year....enjoy !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055698594

nachoqueen wrote: »
    me thinks.

Spot on missus! Not that I'm surprised ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Well seeing as your mind is made up to go ahead with it you might like to read this thread from the cycling forum last year....enjoy !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055698594

That thread makes me sick - no training and completed the DCM in 4:10

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

menoscemo
    jcsmum
    RayCun
    grimbergen

Count me in for Saturday. Not sure I'll do 20 as under a bit of time pressure to get down the country for something that afternoon but will do at least 15 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Saturday 9am Knocmaroon gate
    1. menoscemo
    2. jcsmum
    3. RayCun
    4. grimbergen
    5. Digger

I think Digger is in too Grim. So 9 oclock at the usual place? Can anyone plan a route? Maybe two laps of the 10 mile course one in each direction, stopping at the cars for refreshments half way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Last week's route was 20 in total and you got to the cars at halfway. It was great but i'm biased cause i planned it:D.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Saturday 9am Knocmaroon gate
    1. menoscemo
    2. jcsmum
    3. RayCun
    4. grimbergen
    5. Digger

I think Digger is in too Grim. So 9 oclock at the usual place? Can anyone plan a route? Maybe two laps of the 10 mile course one in each direction, stopping at the cars for refreshments half way?

sorry about that, looks like I quoted from an earlier post and forgot the dig-meister! We had a great route planned last week by Chinguetti which brought us back to the cars around 10 miles. Pretty sure I can remember it although I also think he posted it up here somewhere, must have a look now.

Edit: I see the man himself has posted just before me!

chinguetti wrote: »
    The first lap for Saturday

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=A1213A00-C2CB-3C20-BAD2DEE94919DF47

The second lap

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=3EB205B2-9121-DECE-E6F3250A53F3AD55

First lap is 10.5, second 9.5 or so. for those doing 15/16/17, its the best i can do to get people back to the cars at Knocknamarroon. 3 hills is the best i can for ye boys and girls.

Is there anyone at all coming along on Saturday at 9 apart from xebec?

Hope Chinguetti hasn't copyrighted these - these are the routes we used last week and they worked really well in term of variety etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

grimbergen wrote: »
    Hope Chinguetti hasn't copyrighted these - these are the routes we used last week and they worked really well in term of variety etc..

That's great, Thanks Chinguetti. Happy to use those routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wish I was doing 20 this weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's great, Thanks Chinguetti. Happy to use those routes.

If i only could charge for them;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Advertisement