Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    Saturday 9am Knocmaroon gate

as usual, I won't be there at the gate, but I'll run up Military/Acres/Chesterfield/Furze and meet you along the way somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ah Monty Python, brilliant, what line should i quote?

Perhaps 'Crucifixion's a doodle' which is the closest marathon type link i can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

mrslow wrote: »
    The main theme here from the experienced heads is that you only get one first marathon and to make sure that you enjoy it. I was advised not to run as I only started running in April but I've gradually increased the mileage over a sensible amount of time to get over 230 miles into my legs since I decided to run DCM, not to mention all the miles before that.

If you run you may not injure yourself, you may cross the line in one piece but one things for sure - you won't enjoy it!

woah mrslow, you only started in April? (me too. but have been keepin it on the downlow for fear of being told to back out)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

chinguetti wrote: »
    Ah Monty Python, brilliant, what line should i quote?

Perhaps 'Crucifixion's a doodle' which is the closest marathon type link i can think of.

Crucifixion's Marathon's too good for 'em ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Jeez you started in April? Fair play to ya..... May/June for me when I started taking it seriously...

I am out for the Sunday gang unfortunately...I do have a match to referee and I am being assessed so will be there for that instead...

Looking into the cool cats of saturday instead :p:p:p Though need to find me some gels quick cuz I used the last of em on the 20 mile last weekend!!!

Question re: running shops - Yeah I know it came up earlier in the thread but I am not bothered reading back through 165 pages of yapping to find it.... where is there a good one near o'connell street? Its runways or something like that right??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Jeez you started in April? Fair play to ya..... May/June for me when I started taking it seriously...

I am out for the Sunday gang unfortunately...I do have a match to referee and I am being assessed so will be there for that instead...

Looking into the cool cats of saturday instead :p:p:p Though need to find me some gels quick cuz I used the last of em on the 20 mile last weekend!!!

Question re: running shops - Yeah I know it came up earlier in the thread but I am not bothered reading back through 165 pages of yapping to find it.... where is there a good one near o'connell street? Its runways or something like that right??

Runways is on Parnell St

where? I was up that way yesterday and I couldn't find it!!!!! :(

where? I was up that way yesterday and I couldn't find it!!!!! :(

It's right beside Cycleways - it's basically a tiny add-on to Cycleways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

here Opposite the Ilac centre. Between the Cinema and the end of Dominick Steet. The cycle shop (cycleways) is next door and you'll probably notice that first as it is a bit bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

marrona wrote: »
    woah mrslow, you only started in April? (me too. but have been keepin it on the downlow for fear of being told to back out)

When I say I started in April, I mean I hadn't done any form of exercise in the previous 10 years!

Too late to back out now Marrona!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

When I say I started in April, I mean I hadn't done any form of exercise in the previous 10 years!

Wow, that's some progress in just a few months! Fair dues to you MrS

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

1. menoscemo
    2. jcsmum
    3. RayCun
    4. grimbergen
    5. Digger
    6. Michelle

I am adding myself to this run. I am on the mend now. I went for two runs since and they went well, I felt great after them but the big toughie will def be the long one at the weekend. I plan on doing about 10miles with ye, then hit the trails as that is where I always do my training.

Glad to hear your 20 miler went well Mr.Slow, can't believe you only started running in April! Good luck to Jemily and anyone else who has injury problems. It sucks not being able to run when we have come this far. It turns out I am slightly anaemic so I cant bust my guts in the marathon but I wasn't planning to anyway so that's ok. As long as I finish.

Wow, so much interesting convos have taken place over the past week! I really appreciate the uh, informality of it all ;) Here is a photo that I thought was hilarious. I was shown it a few years ago and now that we are coming up to the marathon I think it is very apt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willbakker/2022656079/in/faves-7270471@N07/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

1. menoscemo
    2. jcsmum
    3. RayCun
    4. grimbergen
    5. Digger
    6. Michelle

I am adding myself to this run. I am on the mend now. I went for two runs since and they went well, I felt great after them but the big toughie will def be the long one at the weekend. I plan on doing about 10miles with ye, then hit the trails as that is where I always do my training.

Glad to hear your 20 miler went well Mr.Slow, can't believe you only started running in April! Good luck to Jemily and anyone else who has injury problems. It sucks not being able to run when we have come this far. It turns out I am slightly anaemic so I cant bust my guts in the marathon but I wasn't planning to anyway so that's ok. As long as I finish.

Wow, so much interesting convos have taken place over the past week! I really appreciate the uh, informality of it all ;) Here is a photo that I thought was hilarious. I was shown it a few years ago and now that we are coming up to the marathon I think it is very apt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willbakker/2022656079/in/faves-7270471@N07/

Thats Robert Teevan from Dundrum AC, a 2:30 marathoner if I'm not mistaken, seems a bit of a character, I pass him pretty much every morning/evening on way to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

So was he for real or taking the piss?

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|4|32|260.2|All good|
    The Wexican|4|37.5|288|Have my twenty mile done so happy days, another milestone for me|
    rofno1|3|29|251|19 mile LSR!! Was wrecked at end and didn't quite manage 20 miles target|
    boccy23|3|28|313|3 sessions with an 18.5 mile LSR. Could have done 20 but it was dark!|
    brophya2007|4|39 |344.4|20 mile LSR done - 1 week to taper :D |
    beamgirl|3|33|274|18 mile LSR done and still alive, wasnt half as bad as I had being thinking, still couldnt actually say I'm looking forward to next weekends 20 miler, in two minds about doing athlone 3/4 marathon or just heading out myself|
    michellemuncher|1|5|234|Yikes, bad running week when it should have been a high mileage one, but happy I am healthy now, relatively!|
    RayCun|6|36.6|428.1| Relaxed 15 mile LSR on Saturday, PB in yesterday's 5k|
    littlebug|4 |33 |333.2|not a good lsr :( |
    meathcountysec|4|29.63|506.23|Bit of a step back week. Last 20m LSR next week then taper..|
    DigiJem|3|26.2|275|Mileage is last weeks, forgot to add it. Zero running miles this week|
    D Chief|4|39.35|283|Good week. Did 5,9,5 and 20.5. Plan another big week this week, then taper|
    digger2d2|4|28|392|step-back for me and 5k race on Sunday in 21:09 :)|
    Curl52|||401||
    ilovetorun |4|37|267|All good, didn't eat enough before Saturday's LSR, lesson learnt!|
    James Howlett|5|35|377|LSR runs have lost their novelty :(|
    RallyRunner|4|37|346.1|LSR of 18 done, 20 this weekend will be fun|
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Cr17|||||
    Milosh|4|36|352|19 mile LSR finished. I felt perfect for the first 17 miles but the last two miles home were uphill and they really took it out of me. I'm looking forward to the 20 next week |
    RubyK|4|38.66|444.64|LSR 20 miles. Problems after mile 11 with hip. Frustrating, as I felt good and fresh. Trying to get myself a foam roller and sort out this issue|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily||5|218|3 days of rest left with injury, hopefully this week will get back to plan|
    Mrslow|4|38.5|245.8|20 mile LSR complete, the weight has been lifted:D|
    marrona|4|33.01|393.49|lovely week running. welcome stepback.|
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|3|35|c426|20 mile LSR last weekend, another milestone|
    tivvo|||||
    BrokenMan| 5|38.85|542.89|12 mile LSR. Athlone 3/4 next Sunday, should be interesting|
    Perkina3|3|33| c. 270?| Training been a little disrupted over the last couple weeks but got out to do a 5 mile which is nice an handy, 8 mile sat night which was good (had a nice pace going there), 20 mile yesterday.. Had to walk the last little bit cuz I suddenly became very weak but finished the last half km at a run so cuda been worse. Learned a couple of valuable lessons re: nutrition which I hope won't hit me again!|

I don't think he was still in the lead a mile on, but he really is good enough to start at the very front.

He was totally taking the piss, it seems to have been just for the photo op. :)

Is he Raycun? I didn't know he was a real runner! Wow, I am even more impressed!

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't think he was still in the lead a mile on, but he really is good enough to start at the very front.

If he has the talent to finish in under 3 hours then I can't blame him for doing that, hat's off to him it's a good picture:)

Interesting side-topic;

Anyone know any stories of people trying to jump in towards the end of previous marathon races?
    The reason i bring it up is that at the close of the Half-Marathon I was on the sidelines watching people finish and some wench from the sidelines decided she had enough watching people run towards the finsih and decided it would be "funny" if she hoped the barrier and had a run down toward the goal herself, in full rain gear no less.

She wasn't on my side of the road but if she had been I would have stopped her... perhaps violently... perhaps not...

Opinions?

Anyone who I see do that will get an earful from me....I am sorry but I am not going to go through a world of hurt jus for some lil $%^&*( to come and something like that!!!!!!

If you hear someone shouting at the top of their lungs near the finish line... have a look it will prob be me beasting someone lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anyone who I see do that will get an earful from me....I am sorry but I am not going to go through a world of hurt jus for some lil $%^&*( to come and something like that!!!!!!

If you hear someone shouting at the top of their lungs near the finish line... have a look it will prob be me beasting someone lol!

There are lots of people on the course in the last km of Dublin waiting to manhandle people off the course who don't have a number. They'll probably get there before you. :)

• Advertisement

I am sorry but I am not going to go through a world of hurt jus for some lil $%^&*( to come and something like that!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly. It's a hugh disrespect to the effort people undertake to complete the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

There are lots of people on the course in the last km of Dublin waiting to manhandle people off the course who don't have a number. They'll probably get there before you. :)

+1

And if you wear a race belt, make sure the number is at the front.

I usually wear mine at the back, as I hate the flapping at the front, but I rightly get an earful from the marshalls towards the end.
    The other downside, is I can never find any race pic photos of me out on the course:)

I ran the Ten Mile without a number but didn't get manhandled unfortunately.

Good stuff.

Another off-topic question;

Does anyone know of which shops (Dublin based) are best for getting a custom t-shirt made for the Marathon?

For my LSRs I train in the Adidas Race series shirts which give me very little nipple chafing and I'm hoping to get a custom shirt on that material.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi guys,

everything was going great with my 18.5 mile run last weekend until I felt my Achiles tighten with about a mile to go. Stopped and stretched it out and finished the run fine.

It has been feeling a bit niggly since then but not sore or anything. did a 6 mile recovery run on Monday night and took it handy. Again no pain or anything since but it niggles from time to time.

With this being such a big week and 20 planned on Saturday should I continue with my plan as normal (had planned for 8 tonight and tomorrow morning as I'm working till midnight) or should I maybe forget about the run in the morning and give it 2 days rest before saturday?

For my LSRs I train in the Adidas Race series shirts which give me very little nipple chafing and I'm hoping to get a custom shirt on that material.

Fuk they tear the nipples of me after a while.... I am going for one of the compression t shirts as a last resort..... Nearly had B.N. syndrome after the half and they jus haven't been the same since ;););)

marrona wrote: »
    I ran the Ten Mile without a number but didn't get manhandled unfortunately.

Are you male or female? I'm asking now instead of assuming like I did with Ms Brophya and Lady Perkina.;)

have a look it will prob be me beasting someone lol!

With your handbag no doubt!;)

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

everything was going great with my 18.5 mile run last weekend until I felt my Achiles tighten with about a mile to go. Stopped and stretched it out and finished the run fine.

It has been feeling a bit niggly since then but not sore or anything. did a 6 mile recovery run on Monday night and took it handy. Again no pain or anything since but it niggles from time to time.

With this being such a big week and 20 planned on Saturday should I continue with my plan as normal (had planned for 8 tonight and tomorrow morning as I'm working till midnight) or should I maybe forget about the run in the morning and give it 2 days rest before saturday?

I would say drop the 2 runs now mate.... give the foot a couple days rest.... With the marathon so close you gotta be looking after yourself.... I would even go as far to say if you are not feeling the 20 miler on Saturday put it off a couple of days....

Its important you get it in but a couple days at this stage won't make a difference to ur performance on the day! :)

• Advertisement

Are you male or female? I'm asking now instead of assuming like I did with Ms Brophya and Lady Perkina.;)

haha i'll stay an international man (?) of mystery...

Advertisement